Singer Sinead O’Connor found safe after brief disappearance in Illinois

webfact

Singer Sinead O’Connor found safe after brief disappearance in Illinois
BY BNO NEWS

CHICAGO: -- Irish singer Sinéad O’Connor, who achieved worldwide fame in 1990 with her version of the song “Nothing Compares 2 U”, has been found safe in Illinois after she was reported missing more than a day earlier. She was feared to be suicidal.

O’Connor, who is 49, disappeared at 6 a.m. CT on Sunday when she left the Chicago suburb of Wilmette for a bicycle ride and failed to return. Someone later called police to express concern for O’Connor’s well-being, after which she was reported missing.

The Wilmette Police Department confirmed on Monday that O’Connor had been located unharmed at about 1:45 p.m. CT, but specific details were not immediately disclosed. Sources told local TV station WGN that O’Connor had been found at a hotel and transported to a local hospital.

Full story: http://www.streetwisejournal.com/singer-sinead-oconnor-found-safe-after-brief-disappearance-in-illinois/

swlogo.jpg
-- StreetWiseJournal 2016-05-17

One hit wonder. cash ran out 15 years ago so yeah probably suicidal

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Her only hit wasn't even her own song so I doubt she made all that much from it...

She probably made more through her at times ludicrous antics and general gobshyttery than her dreary music....

One hit wonder?

did she do something to offend you personally, or are you generally just a miserable human being?

I really don't understand the antipathy people here have towards all "other".

I agree with Hoohaa 100 percent.

Interesting comments. Sinead was incredibly talented and had some incredible works. One of the better female voices ever, but she was definitely caught up in politics and religion. That was her right and she paid dearly for expressing her views.

What kind of person's mind immediately jumps to such negativity over some so benign as this news story. Her strugglers are actually quiet sad and not that uncommon. She just happens to be somewhat in the spotlight. I doubt anything she does is for publicity, fame or money. In fact, she usually acts in a manner that shows she has no regard for any of that.

Edited by F430murci

According to Wiki she is worth about 6 Million USD. Certainly enough to live a good life for a long time if not a fool. I never cared for her music. A fresh hair cut always makes me feel better. Maybe she should get one....or another...or?

Why do so many not care much ... because celebrity worship is not their thing... a not so great singer whose main claim to fame was shaving her head back when it was unusual ... Celebrities fall out of fashion and their disappearance for a few days should only mean something to her family ... How does this kind of stuff ever become a topic I will never understand.

One hit wonder?

did she do something to offend you personally, or are you generally just a miserable human being?

Nothing personal but she is a one hit wonder. This is just common knowledge. CNN said she had been found and said she is most known for the song "Nothing compares to you" nothing else. She may be a great human being but not many people on the planet could name anything else she has done. Her best accomplishment is probably keeping Shane McGowan alive but I digress.

One hit wonder?

Nothing personal but she is a one hit wonder. This is just common knowledge. CNN said she had been found and said she is most known for the song "Nothing compares to you" nothing else. She may be a great human being but not many people on the planet could name anything else she has done. Her best accomplishment is probably keeping Shane McGowan alive but I digress.

She was very popular 3 years prior to Nothing Compares to You in 1990.
The Lion and the Cobra from 1987 has 3 songs I like better than Nothing Compares to You and below are 6 songs from that album that are amazing. One of the best, most powerful female voices ever . . .
Mandika may be my favorite released in 1987 and 3 years prior to Nothing Compares to You.

Put you hands on me 1987 and my second favorite song she has.

Just like you said it would be from 1987

Jackie . . . 1987

and performing Jackie live in 2013 . . . still has incredible voice.

Troy live in 1988.

Edited by F430murci

Lol, she was nominated for a Grammy before Nothing Compares to You for her first album, The Lion and The Cobra. That album sold 2,500,000.

2nd album with Nothing Compares to You sold 7,000,000. 3rd album sold 1,500,000 copies and is where she went off deep end and started losing commercial success due to her views. 4th and 5th albums sold over a million copies. She had 4 more albums. . .

5 platinum albums is a little more than a 1 hit wonder.

9 albums released with 16,000,000 to 17,000,000 total albums sold is not too shabby.

Some of you guys either lived under a rock in the late 80s or are just talking crap about something of which you have no knowledge . . .

You may not like her, but she sold a lot of albums.

Oops another song from the One Hit Wonder that was pretty dang popular.

Edited by F430murci

I never paid too much attention to her, but she has a beautiful voice and some very memorable songs.

Any word on what this temporary disappearance was all about?

I never paid too much attention to her, but she has a beautiful voice and some very memorable songs.

Any word on what this temporary disappearance was all about?

One of the best female artist ever, but she committed professional suicide in 1992 and was that ostracized by main stream media, record companies and air play at the pinnacle of her career. She went off everybody's radar after a few 1992 incidents.

She is apparently pretty jacked up with depression and medication for it. She probably went manic.

I have a soft spot for troubled souls that create more trouble for themselves. I tend to do that.

God knows I put myself through some very crazy and very troubled times around the time frame Sinead was hitting her stride. She was one of my favorites back when I was literally bottoming out on a fairly consistent basis.

God I miss the 80s. Fun frickin care free times. I have no idea how I lived through all of that.

One more song and then I have to figure out how to sleep so I can function tomorrow at a mediation . . . Live version of Jerusalem from The Lion and The Cobra in 1987. That album had so may incredible songs . . .

Edited by F430murci

Has someone found my cat? Its name is Sinead - and it crys when it 'sings'.

It was OK when a kitten, but now it is just a nasty piece of work.

Probably going to be a Prince one day.

post-231618-0-43722300-1463559640_thumb.

Why do so many not care much ... because celebrity worship is not their thing... a not so great singer whose main claim to fame was shaving her head back when it was unusual ... Celebrities fall out of fashion and their disappearance for a few days should only mean something to her family ... How does this kind of stuff ever become a topic I will never understand.

sorry but there is a significant difference between indifference and spite.

Only the latter is applicable here.

I am supremely indifferent to the trials and tribulations of sinead o connor, but i wish her no ill will.

One hit wonder?

ok, your musical ignorance shines through. to dismiss both the pogues and sinead in one sentence requires a spectacular absence of wit.

i personally can name most of her albums, as well as an excellent collaboration with matt johnson of "the the" on mind bomb.

Mandinka was also a hit single (so thats 2)

She collaborated with members of U2 in songwriting etc etc.

She is hardly a bay city roller.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Edited by HooHaa

Another barely talented western singer stuck on a pedestal who thought what she had to say about the world was of interest, it was not. Clearly a mental case and not fit to look after her kids, as the court said.

Has someone found my cat? Its name is Sinead - and it crys when it 'sings'.

It was OK when a kitten, but now it is just a nasty piece of work.

Probably going to be a Prince one day.

attachicon.giflost-cat.jpg

Somebody ring this guy and tell him to log into TVF, plenty of a.holz in here floating about.

:D

you ignorant old foxx - 3 decades of a musical career collaborating with some of the largest names in the business dismissed by people whose last record purchased was a Beatles album and whose current project involves an egg stained vest, a leo and a discount laptop in a fan cooled room.

i remember why i didn't discuss music with my grandmother

from wiki: (if this is a one hit wonder i would love to see what a successful music career looks like)

Musical career 1980s

O'Connor's time as singer for Ton Ton Macoute brought her to the attention of the music industry, and she was eventually signed by Ensign Records. She also acquired an experienced manager, Fachtna O'Ceallaigh, former head of U2's Mother Records. Soon after she was signed, she embarked on her first major assignment, providing the vocals for the song "Heroine", which she co-wrote with U2's guitarist The Edge for the soundtrack to the film Captive. O'Ceallaigh, who had been fired by U2 for complaining about them in an interview, was outspoken with his views on music and politics, and O'Connor adopted the same habits; she defended the actions of the Provisional IRA and said U2's music was "bombastic".[2] She later retracted her IRA comments saying they were based on nonsense, and that she was "too young to understand the tense situation in Northern Ireland properly".[9]

Things were contentious in the studio as well. She was paired with veteran producer Mick Glossop, whom she later publicly derided. They had differing visions regarding her debut album and four months'-worth of recordings were scrapped. During this time she became pregnant by her session drummer John Reynolds (who went on to drum with the band Transvision Vamp). Due largely to O'Ceallaigh's efforts of persuasion, the record company allowed O'Connor, 20 years old and by then seven months pregnant, to produce her own album.[citation needed]

Her first album The Lion and the Cobra was "a sensation" when it was released in 1987[10] and it reached gold record status and earned a Best Female Rock Vocal PerformanceGrammy nomination. The single "Mandinka" was a big college radio hit in the United States, and "I Want Your (Hands on Me)" received both college and urban play in a remixedform that featured rapper MC Lyte. In her first US network television appearance, O'Connor sang "Mandinka" on Late Night with David Letterman in 1988.[11] The single "Troy" was also released as a single in the UK and Ireland. A club mix of "Troy" would become a major US dance hit in 2002.[citation needed]

Artists that influenced her at that time were Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Bob Marley, Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Pretenders.[12]

1990s

Her second album – 1990's I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got – gained considerable attention and mostly positive reviews: it was rated "second best album of the year" by theNME.[13] She was praised for her voice and her original songs. She was also noted for her appearance: her trademark shaved head, often angry expression, and sometimes shapeless or unusual clothing.

In 1989 O'Connor joined The The frontman Matt Johnson as a guest vocalist on the band's album Mind Bomb, which spawned the duet "Kingdom of Rain".

The album I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got featured Marco Pirroni and Kevin Mooney, of Adam and the Ants fame, and contained her international breakthrough hit "Nothing Compares 2 U", a song written by Prince and originally recorded and released by a side project of his, The Family. Aided by a memorable and well received video by John Maybury which consisted almost solely of O'Connor's face as she performed the song, it became a massive international hit, reaching No. 1 in several countries. In Ireland it hit the top spot in July 1990 and remained there for 11 weeks; it is the eighth most successful single of the decade there. It had similar success in the UK, charting at No. 1 for 4 weeks, and in Germany (No. 1 for 11 weeks). In Australia, it reached No. 1 on the Top 100. It also claimed the No. 1 spot on the Hot 100 chart in the US. She also received Grammy nominations including Record of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. She eventually won the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Performance, but boycotted the award show.[citation needed]

I don't do anything in order to cause trouble. It just so happens that what I do naturally causes trouble. I'm proud to be a troublemaker.

NME, March 1991[14]

Hank Shocklee, producer for Public Enemy, remixed the album's next single, "The Emperor's New Clothes", for a 12-inch that was coupled with the Celtic funk of "I Am Stretched on Your Grave." Pre-dating but included on I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got was also "Jump in the River", which originally appeared on the Married to the Mob soundtrack; the 12-inch version of the single had included a remix featuringperformance artist Karen Finley. Also in 1990, O'Connor starred in a small independent Irish movie Hush-a-Bye Baby directed in Derry byMargo Harkin.[15]

In 1990, she joined many other guests for former Pink Floyd member Roger Waters' massive performance of The Wall in Berlin. (In 1996, she would guest on Broken China, a solo album by Richard Wright of Pink Floyd.) In 1991, her take on Elton John's "Sacrifice" was acclaimed as one of the best efforts on the tribute album Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin.

In 1990, she contributed a cover of "You Do Something to Me" to the Cole Porter tribute/AIDS fundraising album Red Hot + Blue produced by the Red Hot Organization. In 1998, she worked again with the Red Hot Organization to co-produce and perform on Red Hot + Rhapsody. Red Hot + Blue was followed by the release of Am I Not Your Girl?, an album of standards and torch songs that she had listened to while growing up. Also in 1992, she contributed backing vocals on the track "Come Talk To Me", and shared vocals on the single "Blood of Eden" from the studio album Us by Peter Gabriel.

Also in 1990, she was criticised after she announced that she would not perform if the United States national anthem was played before one of her concerts. Frank Sinatrathreatened to "kick her ass".[2] After receiving 4 Grammy Award nominations she withdrew her name from consideration.[16]

The 1993 soundtrack to the film In the Name of the Father featured "You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart", with significant contributions from U2 frontman Bono.

The more conventional Universal Mother (1994) did not succeed in restoring her mass appeal; however the music videos for the first and second singles, "Fire on Babylon" and "Famine", were nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video.[17][18] She toured with Lollapalooza in 1995, but dropped out when she became pregnant. TheGospel Oak EP followed in 1997, and featured songs based in an acoustic setting. It too, did not recapture previous album successes.[citation needed]

In 1994, she appeared in A Celebration: The Music of Pete Townshend and The Who, also known as Daltrey Sings Townshend. This was a two-night concert at Carnegie Hallproduced by Roger Daltrey of The Who in celebration of his 50th birthday. A CD and a VHS video of the concert were issued in 1994, followed by a DVD in 1998.

She appeared in Neil Jordan's The Butcher Boy in 1997, playing the Virgin Mary.[19]

2000s
220px-Sin%C3%A9ad_O%27Connor_-_Pozna%C5%
Sinéad O'Connor in Poznań in 2007

Faith and Courage was released in 2000, including the single "No Man's Woman", and featured contributions from Wyclef Jean of theFugees and Dave Stewart of Eurythmics.

Her 2002 album, Sean-Nós Nua, marked a departure in that O'Connor interpreted or, in her own words, "sexed up" traditional Irish folksongs, including several in the Irish language.[20] In Sean-Nós Nua, she covered a well-known Canadian folk song, Peggy Gordon, interpreted as a song of lesbian, rather than heterosexual, love. In her documentary, Song of Hearts Desire, she stated that her inspiration for the song was her friend, a lesbian who sang the song to lament the loss of her partner.

In 2003, she contributed a track to the Dolly Parton tribute album Just Because I'm a Woman, a cover of Parton's "Dagger Through the Heart". That same year, she also featured on three songs of Massive Attack's album 100th Window before releasing her double album,She Who Dwells in the Secret Place of the Most High Shall Abide Under the Shadow of the Almighty. This compilation contained one disc of demos and previously unreleased tracks and one disc of a live concert recording. Directly after the album's release, O'Connor announced her retirement from music.[21]Collaborations, a compilation album of guest appearances, was released in 2005—featuring tracks recorded with Peter Gabriel, Massive Attack, Jah Wobble, Terry Hall, Moby, Bomb The Bass, The Edge, U2, and The The.

Ultimately, after a brief period of inactivity and a bout with fibromyalgia, her retirement proved to be short-lived—O'Connor stated in an interview with Harp that she only intended to retire from making mainstream pop/rock music, and after dealing with her fibromyalgia, chose to move into other musical styles.[22] The reggae album Throw Down Your Armsappeared in late 2005 and was greeted with positive reviews. It was based on the Rastafarian culture and lifestyle, O'Connor having spent time in Jamaica in 2004. She performed the single "Throw Down Your Arms" on The Late Late Show in November. She also made comments critical of the war in Iraq and the role played in it by Ireland'sShannon Airport.[citation needed]

On 8 November 2006, O'Connor performed seven songs from her upcoming album Theology at The Sugar Club in Dublin. Thirty fans were given the opportunity to win pairs of tickets to attend along with music industry critics.[23] The performance was released in 2008 as Live at the Sugar Club deluxe CD/DVD package sold exclusively on her website.

O'Connor released two songs from her album Theology to download for free from her official website: "If You Had a Vineyard" and "Jeremiah (Something Beautiful)". The album, a collection of covered and original Rastafari spiritual songs, was released in June 2007. The first single from the album, the Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber classic "I Don't Know How to Love Him", was released on 30 April 2007.[24] To promote the album, O'Connor toured extensively in Europe and North America. She also appeared on two tracks of the new Ian Brown album The World Is Yours, including the anti-war single "Illegal Attacks".[25]

2010s

In January 2010, O'Connor performed a duet with R&B singer Mary J. Blige produced by former A Tribe Called Quest member Ali Shaheed Muhammad of O'Connor's song "This Is To Mother You" (first recorded by O'Connor on her 1997 Gospel Oak EP). The proceeds of the song's sales were donated to the organisation GEMS (Girls Educational and Mentoring Services).[26] In 2012 the song "Lay Your Head Down", written by Brian Byrne and Glenn Close for the soundtrack of the film Albert Nobbs and performed by O'Connor, was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.

O'Connor announced she was working on recording a new album, titled Home, to be released in the beginning of 2012.[27] On 10 October 2011 O'Connor announced that the release date for the album, now titled How About I Be Me (and You Be You)?, had been set for 20 February 2012,[28][29] with the first single being "The Wolf is Getting Married". Having planned an extensive tour in support of How About I Be Me (and You Be You)?, O'Connor announced on her website in April 2012 that she was "very unwell" and had suffered a serious breakdown between December 2011 and March 2012.[30] This resulted in the cancellation of the tour and all other musical activities for the rest of 2012, at least. O'Connor resumed touring in 2013, announcing The Crazy Baldhead Tour. The second single "4th and Vine" was released on 18 February 2013.[31]

In February 2014, it was revealed that O'Connor had been recording a new album of original material, titled The Vishnu Room, consisting of romantic love songs.[32] In early June 2014, it was announced that O'Connor's new album had been retitled I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss, with an 11 August release date. The title derives from the Ban Bossycampaign that took place earlier the same year. The album's first single is entitled "Take Me to Church".[33][34]

Edited by HooHaa

A one hit wonder is not judged by their total body of work. Quite simply its definition is about what the public recalls about the singer

eg ask a bunch of strangers to recall 5 songs from Micheal Jackson, Billy Joel ,David Bowie, Eurythmics and you will get a good response as they are NOT one hit wonders

Now ask them about Sinead Oconner ?

Why people on this thread are so sensitive about this fact is beyond me. Its fact its just the way it is

A one hit wonder is not judged by their total body of work. Quite simply its definition is about what the public recalls about the singer

eg ask a bunch of strangers to recall 5 songs from Micheal Jackson, Billy Joel ,David Bowie, Eurythmics and you will get a good response as they are NOT one hit wonders

Why people on this thread are so sensitive about this fact is beyond me. Its fact its just the way it is

thank you for the insight into the vast breadth of your musical knowledge.

It is indeed useful to know that the criteria for one-hit wonderness is whether or not you personally remember 5 of their songs.

of course the fact that pretty much everyone i know can recall a number of her songs and performances is irrelevant, because you personally and your acquaintances are the litmus test .

i get it now.

Edited by HooHaa

It is indeed useful to know that the criteria for one-hit wonderness is whether or not you personally remember 5 of their songs.

of course the fact that pretty much everyone i know can recall a number of her songs and performances is irrelevant, because you personally and your acquaintances are the litmus test .

i get it now.

My pleasure smile.png

Oh dear . . . Billy Joel. Hahahaha. Eurythmics??? Annie Lenox is cool, but the only song that comes to mind is Sweet Dreams. I like maybe two songs by Bowie. Could not force myself to listen to a complete Billy Joel song. Michael Jackson . . . I could maybe tolerate listening to a couple of his songs to the end without changing, but doubtful.

Wife and I sat down and listened to The Lion and the Cobra from beginning to end tonight. Brilliant album. Every song is great!

Its all about genre and taste.

In the late 80s, I played in hair bands and lived in clubs and in the party scene. Sinead was very popular among the hip club crowd in the late 80s and early 90s.

Lol, you really dated yourself as an old square type, but nice face save attempt . . . 7 Grammy nominations and 17,000,000 albums sold does not equate one-hit wonder. That's like saying Zep is a one hit wonder because most egg headed Elbert types and younger types may know Stairway but could likely name few other songs.

i get it now.

Lol, I couldn't name a single song by Patsy Kline or Johnny Cash right now . . . Those no hit wonders. Let see, Dolly Parton did Nine to Five, but that's all I can recall. One hit wonder.

Edited by F430murci