What Island to live on?

Klom332

If you really want to dedicate yourself to Surfing, then Bali. Thailand has mostly moderate surf for a short period of time of the year. Having said that, you could easily find a place in Thailand which would tick your boxes and take short trips to Sri Lanka, Maldives, Philippines, Indonesia for surfing. What you are looking for doesn't exist, you must adapt and find alternative solutions. As a jump off platform to do Surf trips, Thailand is not bad. If you are really passionate about Surf, move to Indonesia.

If you like a lot of room and quiet I suggest Greenland. It is the largest island in the world and not many people there keeping you up at nights with noisy parties and barking dogs. I heard skiing and fishing as pretty good their to.

Australia is actually bigger, but it is not considered an island anymore and not so quiet. This is because it is considered a continent now.

Greenland does seem like a good alternative yea wink.png

@pluto, I'm not a veteran surfer or anything, just thought if I can choose I'd go for a place where there's surfing. However like khunper&steve suggested, kite-surfing/sail-boarding seem like great alternatives. Bali would be an option in the future, for now I'm just looking to find a place in Thailand.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll read up on them all and see if another type of visa could maybe be better for me.

As a former surfer of quality waves I can safely say you will not find any waves that you can surf anywhere in Thailand except at Phuket and these waves will only be generated by strong winds, no ground swell and would be considered "onshore slop" by all seasoned surfers. Also the waves are seasonal so you will only get this slop during the monsoon season.

Trang is the number one place for surfing in Thailand. Honourable mention to koh payam ao yai beach, for some long breaking 8-10 foot waves.

but i would avoid phangan, an israeli tourist was stabbed to death by a group of thai, i dont know if they ever caught the culpritS

He probably deserved it. I expect he took over some land, said it was his, and then built a great big f***cking wall around it, and kept the locals out.

but i would avoid phangan, an israeli tourist was stabbed to death by a group of thai, i dont know if they ever caught the culpritS

He probably deserved it. I expect he took over some land, said it was his, and then built a great big f***cking wall around it, and kept the locals out.

"He probably deserved it."

deserved to die? you , apologists, need some help....

Hey,

So I'm currently living in Bangkok but I want to move to an island in about 1-2 months. Before I make the move I want to go see one or two locations however to find out whether I really want to live there, I'm wondering what the best options are for what I'm looking for:

- Budget of a small house/bungalow up to 20k baht, cheaper is always fine.

- Not too touristy, would like a more quiet area but still near the beach.

- Some surf options, I know Thailand doesn't have a great surfing scene but having somewhat of a surfing scene would be great.

- Language school for education visa within reach.

- Nice beaches

Was mainly considering Samui/Phuket, but not sure whether I'm overlooking something or which one of the two I should go for.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Australia ?

Anytime you live on an island here, you are subjecting yourself to pricing extortion. The prices are always higher, and people use the excuse of transportation. Samui and Phuket are pretty much finished. The quality of life has diminished dramatically over the past several years. On Samui, the congestion is getting so bad, it is harder to get around. No public transportation options, other than overpriced tuk-tuks. The taxis do not count. The local administration is so completely devoid of pride, they would not know what doing the right thing was, if it hit them over the head. Better to live in a coastal area, where the locals live, and a small ex-pat community.

• 1 month later...

As you'll probably already have sussed...., Surf wise, the general Phuket area gives you the most options (mainly during monsoonal activity)......, including possible closer access to the surf on Myanmar's northern coastline. The surf options available on that coastline will generally become more well known in time. wai.gif You might be better off heading westwards to the Andaman's for your surf fix.