You need ID ,for posting letters Etc at Post Office.

worgeordie

Went to Khamtieng Post Office today,to post my 90 day report and

a letter to the U.K., and was asked for passport,I do not carry it with

me, (never have,except if go out area) so wife had to show her ID card.

According to the man behind the desk,ID,Passport,is a requirement

before you can post letters and parcels,inside Thailand and Overseas,

it's supposed to be to catch drug smugglers,I think,so the majority has

to be inconvenienced,by the minority,again,either that or the Government

wants to know everything the population is up to.

regards Worgeordie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use 2 other post offices on a regular basis, never been asked.

What do they do, photocopy your passport? In which case I would ask to sign it saying something like for post office id only not to be used otherwise, as owner forced to produce to send mail. With that scribbled on then see if they still want it when you go back next time!

That has been the requirement for quite a while now. Actually nearly one year ago. Should be for parcels only not letters but up to their interpretation as usual. Also my understanding it was for over a certain weight.

Parcel senders are required to show ID cards or passports

They must have expanded it to include letters too,what next !

regards Worgeordie

I use 2 other post offices on a regular basis, never been asked.

What do they do, photocopy your passport? In which case I would ask to sign it saying something like for post office id only not to be used otherwise, as owner forced to produce to send mail. With that scribbled on then see if they still want it when you go back next time!

They enter details into computer

regards Worgeordie

I've never had to show my passport when mailing any letter via EMS at the post office. But I will say when I was at the post office around 3 weeks ago to mail a letter EMS most Thais had their ID card in hand ready to show the postal clerk when their queue number got called...most everyone seemed to be mailing a package. The post office was the Khet Talingchan Post Office in Bangkok.

The whole thing is quite hit and miss and never consistent. I've never been asked at Kamthieng and neither has my wife. I was last there about 4 days ago. Kad Suan Kaew are the most strict. No original ID, no post. I was at Sansai post about a week ago. Everyone had their ID cards out ready, including myself. There, you use a stamp on the counter to stamp something on your post and then you sign it, followed by showing your ID. Every Thai customer had to show ID. When my queue was called, they didn't ask me to stamp and sign or show my ID. Go figure. I've never been asked at 2 other post offices either.

Hit and miss; like everything here.

I'm out of touch as I rarely use the PO nowadays.

So they require ID, is the ID noted on the letter

and matched to a computer? How exactly does

showing ID increase security?

Apparently to crack down on drug smuggling via parcel according to below. Went into effect 2 Jun 15.

http://postandparcel.info/65462/news/thailand-post-requiring-parcel-senders-to-show-id/

post-55970-0-29819900-1463498360_thumb.j

I have been asked a couple of times for my Passport when posting packages. I just give them my Thai Drivers License and it has not been a problem. Most of the time they don't ask for anything because unlike a Thai ID Card, they have to manually enter the information into the computer.

I had a few items to send via the postal service today, two parcels and three letters.

So, off I set to the large Post Office in Charoen Krung.

The clerk asked for ID, passport or Thai driving licence etc. Unfortunately I did not have any ID on me at all, but luckily I have copies of all these on my phone.

I showed the Clerk a photo of my passport and all was well.

It's about time the Thais allowed resident expats to have some kind of ID card.

They do,got mine at San Sai Offices just the other day,you need a

yellow book to be able to get one,i believe.

regards Worgeordie P.S. had a friend go to Amphur Maung offices and they had no cards come

back in a month he was told, Doi Saket office has cards.

How much do you want to bet that none of the Kon Thai behind you had to show ID. We are all criminals until proven not to be (which is never). They must have thought they had quite the catch with you: An obvious drug dealer sending a EMS letter of compressed Yaba to CM Immigration. You're quite the catch of the day! whistling.gif

How much do you want to bet that none of the Kon Thai behind you had to show ID. We are all criminals until proven not to be (which is never). They must have thought they had quite the catch with you: An obvious drug dealer sending a EMS letter of compressed Yaba to CM Immigration. You're quite the catch of the day! whistling.gif

Take a moment from your bashing to read post #14. I'll make it easy for you. Electrified says:

"Every Thai customer had to show ID. When my queue was called, they didn't ask me to stamp and sign or show my ID. Go figure. I've never been asked at 2 other post offices either."

Take a moment from your bashing to read post #14. I'll make it easy for you. Electrified says:

"Every Thai customer had to show ID. When my queue was called, they didn't ask me to stamp and sign or show my ID. Go figure. I've never been asked at 2 other post offices either."

Hit or miss.... I was at Kamthieng Post again today. I observed....they weren't asking anyone for ID today; Thai or farang.

Archived