Great Breakfast Buffet that's not in a hotel

NancyL

All those folk obsessed with the idea that 'Americans' are in the majority at this brunch are incorrect. I fear this truth, but we may be louder.

Consider the burdens we bear: Viet-Nam, Iraq, Trump. No wonder some of us retire into what might be regarded as safe channels of conversation. Changing the subject is a practice all of us who have the experience of marriage should understand and perhaps accept.

But I repeat my main notion that the eats are wonderful - which is only what OP suggested. (i.e. chow down)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As the person who started the hotel thread and being a Brit, the most important menu item for me is proper english bacon and secondly hash browns. i prefer the shredded crispy American hash brown home style hash browns as opposed to the McDonalds style. Good coffee and tea is an obvious must.

If its a buffet or a large breakfast that meet this criteria with good bread, not the sweet stuff. i prefer granary though will accept white if aforementioned items are good then thats enough to float my boat. Does the buffet the OP recommended meet this criteria or else can other members recommend alternatives. I apologise for the slight digression.

I think you'll find good bread and American-style hash browns. Don't know how English bacon is different from American bacon, but there's much bacon at the River Market breakfast. Why not check it out for yourself on June 3rd?

All those folk obsessed with the idea that 'Americans' are in the majority at this brunch are incorrect. I fear this truth, but we may be louder.

Consider the burdens we bear: Viet-Nam, Iraq, Trump. No wonder some of us retire into what might be regarded as safe channels of conversation. Changing the subject is a practice all of us who have the experience of marriage should understand and perhaps accept.

But I repeat my main notion that the eats are wonderful - which is only what OP suggested. (i.e. chow down)

Actually, there are many, many Aussies at the breakfast. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, just saying. Americans are definitely not "the majority" just as they aren't "the majority" of the CEC. No single nationality has "the majority" in CEC. Nor is CEC "run by Americans". Only four members of the eleven member Board have U.S. passports. Hardly a majority!

The key to a good breakfast is myriad. You need good eggs (neither too runny nor too hard), toast (with butter not spread), fried bread, black pudding, English style streaky bacon (though back bacon is just about acceptable too), English sausages (nothing that resembles a lousy hot dog please), fried mushrooms (ideally portobello mushrooms but will settle for button or even oyster mushrooms - the local cheap brown mushroom need not apply for the job though), Heinz baked beans (no cheap and nasty alternatives will do), hash browns (or other form of fried potato but none of them too greasy), grapefruit juice (or at a push sanguinello orange juice - must be bitter not sweet), and a great cup of black coffee. You may if you are feeling daring - throw some grated cheddar cheese into the mix. Must be accompanied with salt, pepper, and HP sauce. I'd happily pay a massive premium for a top quality breakfast but sadly... these things seem not to be in Chiang Mai. There are a couple of places in Bangkok that come close though.

So far, I think, only three places to eat have been mentioned.

River Market, "mad dog" if that's an actual place, and KHUALEK Cafe, which is apparently spelled in all caps.

Is that it?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Trujillo,

Well, yes, in fact, we normally need only one molehill to make mountains here :)

cheers, Bill

I think you'll find good bread and American-style hash browns. Don't know how English bacon is different from American bacon, but there's much bacon at the River Market breakfast. Why not check it out for yourself on June 3rd?

English bacon is basically what Americans would refer to as "ham". (Not exactly but close enough.)

post-192235-0-94204400-1464255576_thumb.

River Market, "mad dog" if that's an actual place, and KHUALEK Cafe, which is apparently spelled in all caps.

Is that it?

Not really surprising, though, as the premise of the thread excludes breakfast buffets in hotels and there just aren't too many breakfast buffets that are NOT in hotels. Even in Western countries, I'd be hard pressed to come up more than one or two non-hotel restaurants that serve breakfast buffets.

As far as breakfast buffets go, though, the one to which NancyL refers in the OP (at the River Market) is quite good.

(Btw, I don't think Mad Dog's and the other place you mentioned even offer a breakfast buffet.)

Edited by Diplomatico

English bacon is basically what Americans would refer to as "ham". (Not exactly but close enough.)

attachicon.gifrashers-bacon-7120977.jpg

Is that it?

Not really surprising, though, as the premise of the thread excludes breakfast buffets in hotels and there just aren't too many breakfast buffets that are NOT in hotels. Even in Western countries, I'd be hard pressed to come up more than one or two non-hotel restaurants that serve breakfast buffets.

As far as breakfast buffets go, though, the one to which NancyL refers in the OP (at the River Market) is quite good.

(Btw, I don't think Mad Dog's and the other place you mentioned even offer a breakfast buffet.)

Oh, thanks for the photo. That's what I grew up calling "Canadian bacon". Yum!

The key to a good breakfast is myriad. You need good eggs (neither too runny nor too hard), toast (with butter not spread), fried bread, black pudding, English style streaky bacon (though back bacon is just about acceptable too), English sausages (nothing that resembles a lousy hot dog please), fried mushrooms (ideally portobello mushrooms but will settle for button or even oyster mushrooms - the local cheap brown mushroom need not apply for the job though), Heinz baked beans (no cheap and nasty alternatives will do), hash browns (or other form of fried potato but none of them too greasy), grapefruit juice (or at a push sanguinello orange juice - must be bitter not sweet), and a great cup of black coffee. You may if you are feeling daring - throw some grated cheddar cheese into the mix. Must be accompanied with salt, pepper, and HP sauce. I'd happily pay a massive premium for a top quality breakfast but sadly... these things seem not to be in Chiang Mai. There are a couple of places in Bangkok that come close though.

OK, currently River Market is not offering the fried mushrooms or Heinz baked beans, but it wouldn't be beyond their capability to do so and personally I'd love 'em. Maybe some of us who know Dave can ask about these two items. Black pudding -- I think that might be stretching the limits there, however. As for sausage -- River Market definitely has that covered. No hot dogs there at breakfast, unless you count the contented looking dog who sometimes hangs around outside the kitchen.

>> I suspect some of them are afraid of people and don't want others to know that so they make up an excuse when they don't even have to reply.<<

​I myself have a low tolerance of the self important types .I dislike people in general its true and can only deal with them with a few pints down my gullet .Children are delightful though in a very unself conscious way . I have been told that i am child like ,but i take that as a compliment .

I will never get a better breakfast than the one I get at home, so I never have one outside unless I'm forced into it.

2 fresh eggs fried to perfection (not destroyed a la Thai), homemade baked beans with no sugar (because it's not needed), a few rashers of good bacon (not that streaky krap), 2 Yorkies sausages (tried nearly all the gourmet ones here and they're just not 'right'), button mushrooms fried in butter and garlic (when available) and 2 slices of homemade dark rye beer bread.

I've tried numerous attempts at black pudding here and they never have the desired texture and most are really 'oily'. If anyone has found a good one, then I'd love to know where.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Edited by JaseTheBass

News flash, the sun has set on the British empire.

News flash, the sun has set on the British empire.

"News flash, the sun has set on the British empire."

These days they call it the Commonwealth, although it has dissenting voices with a few wobbles here and there.

After ditching the EU in Brexit there'll be absolute unity with Rule Brittania chanting, HP sauce on tap and Monty Pythons four Yorkshiremen black pudding world tour.

attachicon.gifrashers-bacon-7120977.jpg

Is that it?

Oh, thanks for the photo. That's what I grew up calling "Canadian bacon". Yum!

Yes it is Canadian Bacon and having lived there many years I can tell you it is not as popular as the American bacon. I have eaten out many times as I travel and when I ordered bacon and eggs it was always American bacon served. The Ex Pat buffet consists of American bacon generally done crisp which seems to be the way people like it. Most other places be they buffet or not it is only half cooked. I say most because I have been places where it is crisp but for the most part only half cooked. I am not sure if the fried potatoes can be called American fried potatoes. My idea of American fried potatoes is they are crisp these are not. Then again that is only my idea I could be wrong.

News flash -- Dave is working on the beans! He said he offered them before and he said "no one ate them". That's because his beans are American picnic style beans, nice and thick -- a fork will stand up in them, with onions and meat (ham and bacon) added, plus molasses, brown sugar and other goodies. I said, no just open a can of Heinz and plop that into a warming tray. I think the Brits and Aussies want to slop up the sauce with their bread -- whole grain, of course. (He has that covered already.)

I think he was a little appalled with the suggestion to simply open up a can of something and serve that to customers. He did think that maybe he could water down his standard really good beans and add catsup so you you'd have a "gravy" from the beans.

So come on June 3rd to see what he develops.

Again, beans have no place in a breakfast.

^^^ Huevos rancheros? Sure, but we are talking about standard, American/Canadian breakfasts. We are not talking about Mexican breakfasts, or Egyptian breakfasts or Ethiopian breakfasts, all of which can be delicious. Nor are we talking about UK or Continental breakfasts.

News flash -- Dave is working on the beans! He said he offered them before and he said "no one ate them". That's because his beans are American picnic style beans, nice and thick -- a fork will stand up in them, with onions and meat (ham and bacon) added, plus molasses, brown sugar and other goodies. I said, no just open a can of Heinz and plop that into a warming tray. I think the Brits and Aussies want to slop up the sauce with their bread -- whole grain, of course. (He has that covered already.)

I think he was a little appalled with the suggestion to simply open up a can of something and serve that to customers. He did think that maybe he could water down his standard really good beans and add catsup so you you'd have a "gravy" from the beans.

It really has to be Heinz. It's such an absolute breakfast standard that places in the UK (and elsewhere) advertise that the beans are Heinz beans on their menus. Nothing else comes close to the "right" taste. And beans covered in ketchup are a hundred million miles away from that taste. Thanks for trying though Nancy. :-)

Sausage king Sansai have the best English style breakfast in Chiang mai .B129 only and you wont need to eat for the rest of the day .DELETED

Edited by seedy
derogatory

It really has to be Heinz. It's such an absolute breakfast standard that places in the UK (and elsewhere) advertise that the beans are Heinz beans on their menus. Nothing else comes close to the "right" taste. And beans covered in ketchup are a hundred million miles away from that taste. Thanks for trying though Nancy. :-)

I'm sorry, but to us Heinz beans taste like baked beans watered down with ketchup. I looked up some recipes from British websites for what they claimed were "baked beans just like Heinz" and was shocked to find absolutely no meat, no molasses, no brown sugar, and one heck of a lot of tinned tomatoes. I can't imagine baked beans without ham and bacon. Just tomatoes, some herbs, garlic, maybe onion and Worcester sauce and Tabasco sauce. Sounds like beans in ketchup to me.

Sausage king Sansai have the best English style breakfast in Chiang mai .B129 only and you wont need to eat for the rest of the day .( also rarely any loud Americans ) .

Haha...the reason the Americans don't eat there is that the breakfasts are crap.

I'm sorry, but to us Heinz beans taste like baked beans watered down with ketchup. I looked up some recipes from British websites for what they claimed were "baked beans just like Heinz" and was shocked to find absolutely no meat, no molasses, no brown sugar, and one heck of a lot of tinned tomatoes. I can't imagine baked beans without ham and bacon. Just tomatoes, some herbs, garlic, maybe onion and Worcester sauce and Tabasco sauce. Sounds like beans in ketchup to me.

Whereas we can't imagine the kind of monster who would put meat in baked beans. ;-) Different strokes for different folks as it were but it really is a deal breaker on breakfasts for me and Sausage King's beans aren't Heinz either. I thought their breakfast was OK for 129 Baht but not OK enough to go a 2nd time.

Sausage king Sansai have the best English style breakfast in Chiang mai .B129 only and you wont need to eat for the rest of the day .( also rarely any loud Americans ) .

Haha...the reason the Americans don't eat there is that the breakfasts are crap.

And you have eaten there ? No ,but you dont like my anti American slant .lol

Maybe if you feel that strong about non buffet restaurants you could start a thread about them.

As for the beans I like Heinz but I will cut up some hot dogs that I purchase from Dave Cut them up and spread them in the beans and wipe it all up with toast and butter that has garlic powder or garlic salt on it. Can't buy that at any restaurant or hotel.

>>Maybe if you feel that strong about non buffet restaurants you could start a thread about them.<<

I now avoid any type of buffet .It tends to bring out the pig in people .If you go to any of those Thai buffet places ,notice the amount of grossly overweight Thais .

Edited by anto