Where to keep a copy of my Condo keys?

I'm not paranoid but coming from a law enforcement background, "I trust no body".

I have two keys hidden:

- One in a combination "lock box" which is connected to steel cable and hangs 2' down inside a water pipe closet.

- A second "lock box" is berried in the ground just inside my property

NOTE --- I have limited keys on my key chain to minimize my loss; a separate set of keys for house, car, motorcycle, and safe.

Would I trust anyone in Thailand with my keys? Never.

If I lose my key a locksmith will open the door in no time.

If you stay in a rented condo, then you never can know if the previous renter not made some extra keys and still have them.......

When I moved into my rented condo the very first thing I did was change the locks.

Would I trust anyone in Thailand with my keys? Never....

Must be miserable to live in such a state of paranoia.

Over 15 years, I have trusted a half-dozen Thais with my keys, most of whom with I'd trust my life. When I go on an extended vacation to my home country, I have trusted Thai friends who keep the garden watered, check inside the house to see that all is well, etc. All willing to do this for free, although I always reward them for their help. Never anything amiss. Rather, often a "welcome home" gift of fruit, evidence that the floors had been swept, or a nice note awaiting me.

You frequent the wrong circles, my friend. Or maybe you don't frequent any circles at all.

It's not paranoia and I'm certainly not miserable. I just don't like or trust people who live in Thailand very much (and that includes non-Thais).

You have a condo management office, no?... Give the key to them to keep in their secure cabinets. In the case of you forgetting your key ask the security girl who will call a condo management staff who will authorise them to access the spare key,accompany you to your unit and then return the key to the cabinet with an access report and a photo of the person accessing the unit.

Would I trust anyone in Thailand with my keys? Never....

Must be miserable to live in such a state of paranoia.

Over 15 years, I have trusted a half-dozen Thais with my keys, most of whom with I'd trust my life. When I go on an extended vacation to my home country, I have trusted Thai friends who keep the garden watered, check inside the house to see that all is well, etc. All willing to do this for free, although I always reward them for their help. Never anything amiss. Rather, often a "welcome home" gift of fruit, evidence that the floors had been swept, or a nice note awaiting me.

You frequent the wrong circles, my friend. Or maybe you don't frequent any circles at all.

It's not paranoia and I'm certainly not miserable. I just don't like or trust people who live in Thailand very much (and that includes non-Thais).

Right. So you like Thailand, but nobody in it. What a shame we can't sterilize the country just for you.

If you stay in a rented condo, then you never can know if the previous renter not made some extra keys and still have them.......

When I moved into my rented condo the very first thing I did was change the locks.

Absolutely. I put the original locks in a bag with the keys and stored them away. I will re-fit them when I leave and take the locks I purchased with me.

I remember reading a similar thread about changing locks in condos after moving in so previous residents couldn't get in with their copies of keys. Someone posted that most condos keep a couple of set of spare locks / keys and they changed the locks when a tenant moved out and the removed lock then becomes a spare for the next vacant flat.

Right. So you like Thailand, but nobody in it. What a shame we can't sterilize the country just for you.

Well, yes. But I can always dream.

But there's nothing unique about Thailand in this respect. People are the worst thing about most countries.

you can rent a safebox at T&T in soi 5 near beach road jomtien, they are open almost all time but if you lost the key of the safebox is another problem but this key you can put some place different from the condo keys

I hope a thief is not getting all this good info??