Thunderstorms, strong winds forecast from May 19-23

webfact

Thunderstorms, strong winds forecast from May 19-23

PNWEA590518001000101_18052016_011613.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 May 2016 (NNT) – The Thai Meteorological Department has warned of strong winds and heavy rains in 21 provinces today, while the next five days will see a rise in thunderstorms in parts of the North, Central Plains, East and South of Thailand.

Meteorologists reported rain today in the Central Plains, East and lower Northeast due to winds blowing in from the south and southeast, amid the hot summer temperatures in parts of Thailand. These atmospheric conditions are expected to produce thunderstorms, heavy rain and strong winds.

The department has put out a weather alert for the following provinces: Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Tak, Phetchabun, Loei, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Surin, Buriram, Sisaket, Amnat Charoen, Ubon Ratchathani, Prachinburi, Sa Kaeo, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat.

Experts warn of the dangers of strong winds knocking over trees, billboards, and buildings in the middle of construction.

From May 19 - 22, a strong low pressure system in the Bay of Bengal could develop into a cyclone heading into the eastern coast along the India Ocean. These developments are not expected to have any direct effect on Thailand, but could indirectly cause thunderstorms and strong winds in the country's North, Central Plains, East, and South from May 19 – 23. The effects could extend to volatile wave conditions in the upper Gulf of Thailand as well as the Andaman Sea.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-18 footer_n.gif

Ahhhhhh a nice spot of rain and a cool breeze,lovely jubbly.looks like me swimming pools going to be filled in with debris once again.i must remember to send the missus on her bicycle to buy some lightening conductor when the storms come.dont worry I've got her insured up to the eyeballs.this could be my lucky day.

Another Thunderstorm about 3 a.m. this morning here in Bangkok.

Woke me up with the thunder abd lightning.

heavy rain, but not much wind.

looks like the OXen knew what they were talking about.

(Royal Plowing Ceremony....last week).

The ...'artistic flou' of Thai weather forecasts will never cease amazing irritating me! As for the TMD rain radars, they seem to catch a bit of 'flu' every time weather systems get into motion...

(P.S.: also compare the pic of the different TMD radars, to see the superposed image of the surface shows a difference up to 30, even 60, km. between one another...)

The weather system which has caused massive flooding and mudslides in Sri Lanka and large parts of India is heading our way guys. BBC Weather. Batten down the hatches me hearties

Ahhhhhh a nice spot of rain and a cool breeze,lovely jubbly.looks like me swimming pools going to be filled in with debris once again.i must remember to send the missus on her bicycle to buy some lightening conductor when the storms come.dont worry I've got her insured up to the eyeballs.this could be my lucky day.

Make sure you give her an umbrella when she goes on her bike, one with a metal handle.

you got it wrong. He sent the missus out to buy a new lamp methinks. He said 'lightening', not lightning. whistling.gif

The viruses and bacteria in rain are quite strong early in the season: getting caught in the rain it's very likely to catch a cold, IMO ( I know there are deniers).

I used to laugh at Thai people when they told me that..................not anymore wai.gif

Make sure you give her an umbrella when she goes on her bike, one with a metal handle.

you got it wrong. He sent the missus out to buy a new lamp methinks. He said 'lightening', not lightning. whistling.gif

Or "lighting?"

We've been getting very nice rain today (May 19) in Nakhon Sawan. I woke up at 4:00AM to the sound of a nice heavy rain (not a drenching deluge), and when I woke up the next time at 6:30 it was a nice, gentle, soaking drizzle. It stopped about 8:00AM, but the sky is still overcast so we could get some more. I haven't found Thai Met's predictions of wind and rain storms helpful for the last couple of years. Apparently they hired some General's brother-in-law and the quality of their forecasting has gone way down.

The viruses and bacteria in rain are quite strong early in the season: getting caught in the rain it's very likely to catch a cold, IMO ( I know there are deniers).

I used to laugh at Thai people when they told me that..................not anymore wai.gif

If there are viruses and bacteria in the environment why are they only ( or more so ) contagious when it rains ?

The dust storms that kick up just before the rain might be carrying lots of nasties into eyes and nose maybe ?

Why do Thai people with a cold go to the doctor and return with a bag full of antibiotics insisting they will cure their cold ?

Who spread such nonsense ....... colds and the like have to do with the immune system of humans and not with bacteria and Virusse in the rain ...... how ridiculous.

I didn't know that rain carried bacteria.i thought it was pure otherwise we would have all sorts of Ebola,anthrax,plague raining down on us.i think it's in the moist air after its rained.quote me if I'm wrong because I'm not much of a scientist.

I didn't know that rain carried bacteria.i thought it was pure otherwise we would have all sorts of Ebola,anthrax,plague raining down on us.i think it's in the moist air after its rained.quote me if I'm wrong because I'm not much of a scientist.

Oh I'm so very very sorry for misspelling lightning with lightening I will promise to do my best and not let it happen again.ill just go and stand in the corner of the room for the rest of the day.anyway no luck with the missus,she's still eating and sleeping and shopping 24 hours a day.these women are tougher than a honey badger when your trying to get shot of em.(sorry them)

Who spread such nonsense ....... colds and the like have to do with the immune system of humans and not with bacteria and Virusse in the rain ...... how ridiculous.

I believe the rain can "activate" certain bacteria & virus that have been laying dormant, but if your immune system is in good shape, which for most it is, will be no problem!

Yes I agree with you cgw.water is an activator of some bacteria and virus.for example fungus when in the right conditions,temp x humidity levels (a window of opportunity) will multiply.i know this much as I came from the uk with a bad chest infection that turned into fungal lung pneumonia.rain don't cause disease while airborne.