Over-charged in my local village

connda

A few years ago Iwas in a shop I frequent often paid for my food with a 20 she gave me change for a 10. I explained to her the problem she insisted I gave hera 10 but no I only had a 20 and I come in here a lot and would not want to cheat the owner please give mecorrect change, she did. She didn't last long only one week. this happened in the states at the time myfavorite coffee shop. Cheats happen every where. I do not expect to get cheated and it doesn't happen too often.

I have had to stop my habit of giving a combination of notes and coin to assist the shop-keeper, say my meal was 85baht, and I would give a 100 baht note and a 5 baht coin, expecting a 20 baht note in return, but the looks I get are out of this world. It appears to be outside the wit of the average Thai to accept this method of payment. I have stood over cashiers and added up in my head the list of 9 items we ate, have said out loud in Thai the total sum, and the cashier is still inputting data.

Are you unpopular?

Have you upset or offended someone?

I actually get a discount at my neighborhood ( village ) market.

I asked why and they told me that I buy many things, and they want to be sure I go to their store and not the other one in the village.

My LEO cost me 3 baht less per bottle than it does Thai customers.

It works for me.

Am I having deja vu or are you just copy and pasting the same comment you placed in another thread awhile back.

Just curious, because I swear I've read that post before.

Are you unpopular?

I asked why and they told me that I buy many things, and they want to be sure I go to their store and not the other one in the village.

It works for me.

Am I having deja vu or are you just copy and pasting the same comment you placed in another thread awhile back.

No, not a "copy and paste".

But I have made similar replies to similar posts complaining about farangs being overcharged.

I am pleased that you are paying attention, and still have a good memory.

But do you need to be so negative about it?

A few years ago Iwas in a shop I frequent often paid for my food with a 20 she gave me change for a 10. I explained to her the problem she insisted I gave hera 10 but no I only had a 20 and I come in here a lot and would not want to cheat the owner please give mecorrect change, she did. She didn't last long only one week. this happened in the states at the time myfavorite coffee shop. Cheats happen every where. I do not expect to get cheated and it doesn't happen too often.

I have had to stop my habit of giving a combination of notes and coin to assist the shop-keeper, say my meal was 85baht, and I would give a 100 baht note and a 5 baht coin, expecting a 20 baht note in return, but the looks I get are out of this world. It appears to be outside the wit of the average Thai to accept this method of payment. I have stood over cashiers and added up in my head the list of 9 items we ate, have said out loud in Thai the total sum, and the cashier is still inputting data.

Why not just give them 85 baht? That's what I try to do. Makes life easier for everyone.

If I had to frequent small Thai shops and businesses I would never have settled in Thailand.

I do all my shopping in places like Makro and BigC where all the prices are labelled and apply equally to everyone.

If I had to frequent small Thai shops and businesses I would never have settled in Thailand.

I do all my shopping in places like Makro and BigC where all the prices are labelled and apply equally to everyone.

Another option would be to concede that the consumer protections of our nanny states did not prepare us for life in the rest of the world where everything is negotiable, lots of stuff isn't what the label claims it is, and the warranty is void as soon as the money changes hands.

Once you've learned that negotiating doesn't have to be unpleasant, it's actually a great ice breaker and relationship builder.

Plus, you can often get a better price than BigC or Makro who have huge overheads and don't really care if you add 1/100 of 1% to their store sales that day. On the other hand, a good purchase at a smaller vendor can make all the difference to their day.

To be honest I wouldn't wish to live here for one minute more than necessary if anything happened to the Boss. (And I dont think that returning to the UK is an option either)

I realise that without her I would be at the mercy of so many completely ruthless and disreputable Thai people.

My ability to "buy" anything or even seek legal services is made more or less impossible by the fact that most Thai business people, store or professionals don't seem to haver a price tag and I will not on principle ask for a price knowing that it will be seriously inflated for my benefit as a farang

Far from being a Thai basher, I think that most of the ordinary Thai folk are the salt of the earth but I am beginning to think that I have made a big mistake in making Thailand my last resting place.

From the BIB to the hospitals, to Lawyers. Judges, to shops to stores to even 7/11s , you have to be scrutinising their every move you begin to realise that cannot expect an even and fair deal. ( of course its not all of them but how do you find the exception to the rule?)

When I came here I thought that the corruption and the way of the culture was within my capability to handle or at least tolerate., I was wrong and the political debate on the "Brexit" shambles is making me realise just what a I am missing in the UK.

Having said that I think its too late for the UK, I dont think that the UK or the Euro union can be saved from over bureaucracy and fraud and eventual bankruptcy.

I also dont think that Thailand in the short term will change so I have rather unwillingly on the basis that I am too old and unable to adapt to any massive changes decided to stick it out here. My main and only reason is my aged mother and father in law and what this means to my wife (The boss)

So very true, you cannot relax for one second , because if you do, you will be had over.

Why not just give them 85 baht? That's what I try to do. Makes life easier for everyone.

So you think it's acceptable to rip someone off, regardless of the amount?

So you think it's acceptable to rip someone off, regardless of the amount?

No, Nancy's point is, if you give 85 baht, you are in no danger of being ripped off, as there is no change to be tendered.

To be honest I wouldn't wish to live here for one minute more than necessary if anything happened to the Boss. (And I dont think that returning to the UK is an option either)

I realise that without her I would be at the mercy of so many completely ruthless and disreputable Thai people.

My ability to "buy" anything or even seek legal services is made more or less impossible by the fact that most Thai business people, store or professionals don't seem to haver a price tag and I will not on principle ask for a price knowing that it will be seriously inflated for my benefit as a farang

Far from being a Thai basher, I think that most of the ordinary Thai folk are the salt of the earth but I am beginning to think that I have made a big mistake in making Thailand my last resting place.

From the BIB to the hospitals, to Lawyers. Judges, to shops to stores to even 7/11s , you have to be scrutinising their every move you begin to realise that cannot expect an even and fair deal. ( of course its not all of them but how do you find the exception to the rule?)

When I came here I thought that the corruption and the way of the culture was within my capability to handle or at least tolerate., I was wrong and the political debate on the "Brexit" shambles is making me realise just what a I am missing in the UK.

Having said that I think its too late for the UK, I dont think that the UK or the Euro union can be saved from over bureaucracy and fraud and eventual bankruptcy.

I also dont think that Thailand in the short term will change so I have rather unwillingly on the basis that I am too old and unable to adapt to any massive changes decided to stick it out here. My main and only reason is my aged mother and father in law and what this means to my wife (The boss)

you must be living in a different thailand than i do.

i had street vendors come running after me after i accidentally paid too much. i pay the same as everyone at every store in town and i have never met anyone up here who did - or tried to - rip me off.

Another option would be to concede that the consumer protections of our nanny states did not prepare us for life in the rest of the world where everything is negotiable, lots of stuff isn't what the label claims it is, and the warranty is void as soon as the money changes hands.

Once you've learned that negotiating doesn't have to be unpleasant, it's actually a great ice breaker and relationship builder.

Plus, you can often get a better price than BigC or Makro who have huge overheads and don't really care if you add 1/100 of 1% to their store sales that day. On the other hand, a good purchase at a smaller vendor can make all the difference to their day.

Well, I rather like it when shops are obliged to give a year's warranty on everything they sell: it stops them from selling the absolute crap that many Thai shops do. But maybe some people like buying crap and having it fall apart a week later? I also like the large choice I get from large retailers (I like the vast choice I get from places like Amazon even more, but sadly that option is not available here yet).

Shopping is intrinsically very boring and I just want to get it done quickly with as little discussion as possible, and that applies all over the world. Life really is much too short to waste it building relationships with Thai shopkeepers or anyone else with whom I have nothing in common. The ice can stay there as far as I'm concerned.

Are you unpopular?

It works for me.

No, not a "copy and paste".

But I have made similar replies to similar posts complaining about farangs being overcharged.

I am pleased that you are paying attention, and still have a good memory.

But do you need to be so negative about it?

Please, do highlight in my post anything that was negative. I was simply asking a question.

Wanted to be sure i didn't have any special powers I was unaware of.

Why on earth would you let hired help or anyone overcharge you 80 Baht?!?

Get "sucker" tattooed on your forehead, in Thai. Sorry, that was a joke. - But I would treat it as a small issue and smile and still get it corrected. That would likely put an end to these shenanigans.