Learner Driver

Good morning all,

I am looking to give my wife driving lessons and take it as read that she will require insurance cover, but does she need to hold some sort of provisional licence? I have tried to find the answer online without any luck, I hope some one can advise!

I had the same thought. It's illegal to drive on the road without a licence but you can't get a licence without driving on the road (learning to drive). Catch 22.

Thailand is the HUB of Catch 22.

If you want to save your marriage, pay a driving school to teach her , teaching her yourself can only end in tears, either hers or yours

I did that. I managed to last about 100m before taking over the driving duties after she had her new licence.

Now, a few years later, she is the primary driver as she deals with all the CM f**kwits on the roads better than I do.

the most important ingredient in success with this venture is PATIENCE !

i am learner - driving with my gf now, she is a marvelous moped driver but struggles with translating her skills to the somewhat wider and longer motor car.

mind you, this still is so much less testing that the two 40+ thai girls i tought in australia to get their new south wales licence. both had driven in thailand for over 20 years and the amount of un - learning they had to do to pass was the most challenging aspect of it.

buy a car for the purpose, just a 'bomb', don't use your brand new fortuner, this will take a bit of tension of the job.

and than just sit there and repeat and repeat and repeat. unlike handing the task to a third party (driving school), at least you will know that as a result of your efforts your wife's driving skills will resemble something you can live with in the passenger seat, even when you are sober.