Moving to Thailand, but under 50 Years old.... How to proceed?

Hi.

My (Thai) wife and me are planing to move to Thailand next year..
But i am still under 50 (47 then)
How would i fix the Visa?
We are married in Sweden, but the marriage is not yet registered in Thailand.
Can one register this from abroad or must we do this in Bangkok?
Must we both do this or can one of us fix this?

Hoping for som answer!
Thanks in advanced

/Stu and Panida

You should be able to obtain a single or multiple entry "O" visa based on your marriage with your marriage certificate and copies of your wife's ID and Tabian Bann.

The marriage will have to be registered in Thailand ( you cannot do this whilst abroad) if you hope to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage.

• Like 1

You don't need your marriage here to apply for mon-o visas basd upon marriage at an embassy or consulate. The marriage certificate will need to be translated to Thai in order to make the application at most locations if it is not in English,

In order to obtain a one year extension of stay your marriage will have to registered at an Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

Your marriage can also be registered at the embassy in Stockholm which will make it easier to do the registration at an Amphoe. Info here: http://www.thaiembassy.se/en/consular-affairs/for-thai-people/251

• Like 1

Having moved to Thailand just under a year ago in circumstances very similar to your own the biggest problem I had was getting the documentation needed for a marriage visa.

Things like your marriage certificate are not recognized here in Thailand. You need to look up the procedure for getting them stamped as "official" by the Swedish authorities before you get them translated and stamped over here. You may also wish to do the same with other documents which you might need at some point (birth certificates for yourself and any children for example).

You may also wish to make sure you have plenty of empty pages on your passport. The application for a marriage visa can be a long drawn out process meaning you may have to do several border runs before one gets issued. These fill your passport at an alarming rate.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Having moved to Thailand just under a year ago in circumstances very similar to your own the biggest problem I had was getting the documentation needed for a marriage visa.

Things like your marriage certificate are not recognized here in Thailand. You need to look up the procedure for getting them stamped as "official" by the Swedish authorities before you get them translated and stamped over here. You may also wish to do the same with other documents which you might need at some point (birth certificates for yourself and any children for example).

You may also wish to make sure you have plenty of empty pages on your passport. The application for a marriage visa can be a long drawn out process meaning you may have to do several border runs before one gets issued. These fill your passport at an alarming rate.

Good luck.

There is no marriage visa. You can apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at an embassy or consulate. Or you can apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

I cannot understand why it took you do long to get a visa or extension of stay..

• Like 1

ubonjoe, on 21 May 2016 - 07:35, said:
Rookiescot, on 21 May 2016 - 07:29, said:

Good luck.

There is no marriage visa. You can apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at an embassy or consulate. Or you can apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

I cannot understand why it took you do long to get a visa or extension of stay..

Fair comment. There is no marriage visa. I should have referred to it as a non-O visa based on marriage.

Several things caused delays in my application for a non-O visa based on marriage. First of all the UK embassy no longer offers a document recognition stamp. Documents have to be sent back to the UK to be stamped by the UK government, then sent to the Royal Thai embassy in London (you cannot get it stamped here in Thailand. Believe me I tried). This then has to be translated and stamped in Bangkok.

Then there was the fact my wife's name on her ID card did not match the name on the marriage certificate. She had been married previously but had never changed her ID card. This meant I had to go through the same procedure with her UK divorce certificate before they would change her ID card.

There were other delays as well which I cant be bothered to go into.

These things all add up.

• Like 1

ubonjoe, on 21 May 2016 - 07:35, said:
Rookiescot, on 21 May 2016 - 07:29, said:

Good luck.

Fair comment. There is no marriage visa. I should have referred to it as a non-O visa based on marriage.

Several things caused delays in my application for a non-O visa based on marriage. First of all the UK embassy no longer offers a document recognition stamp. Documents have to be sent back to the UK to be stamped by the UK government, then sent to the Royal Thai embassy in London (you cannot get it stamped here in Thailand. Believe me I tried). This then has to be translated and stamped in Bangkok.

Then there was the fact my wife's name on her ID card did not match the name on the marriage certificate. She had been married previously but had never changed her ID card. This meant I had to go through the same procedure with her UK divorce certificate before they would change her ID card.

These things all add up.

All that was required to apply for an extension of stay at immigration not a visa. You could of gotten a single entry or multiple non-o visa with your UK marriage certificate at a embassy or consulate. It is also possible to get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife with a non Thai marriage certificate. Doing a 60 day extension of the of the 90 day entry from a single entry non-o visa would give you about 5 months without the need to leave the country.

Not all countries make you jump through such hoops to get a your marriage certificate legalized. Many will still allow you do a self certification by doing a statement it is true, correct and valid at their embassy that a Amphoe will accept.

• Like 1

If I have a UK marriage certificate, does it need to be certified or translated into Thai in order to get Non Imm O visa in London and can I get the visa (for my wife) the day after the wedding?

No it does not need to be translated to Thai to get the visa.

But you might want to start the legitimization process of your marriage certificate before you leave the UK that immigration may want when you apply for the your wife's dependent extension.

• Like 1

If I have a UK marriage certificate, does it need to be certified or translated into Thai in order to get Non Imm O visa in London and can I get the visa (for my wife) the day after the wedding?

No it does not need to be translated to Thai to get the visa.

But you might want to start the legitimization process of your marriage certificate before you leave the UK that immigration may want when you apply for the your wife's dependent extension.

Thanks. I'll probably have a couple more questions nearer the time, but will post them on the thread I started about my situation.

• Like 1

As soon as you set up a Thai Bank savings account if you don't already have one wire as much money as you can for the future into Thailand.

Many Thai banks now require a work visa to open an account, but not all.

Kasikorn Bank Mgr. in Nana told me if I close any account I can't reopen another without a work visa even with my retirement visa extension. I've been a customer for 9 years.

I would also move to Thailand ASAP.

• Like 1

ubonjoe, on 21 May 2016 - 08:17, said:
Rookiescot, on 21 May 2016 - 08:04, said:
ubonjoe, on 21 May 2016 - 07:35, said:ubonjoe, on 21 May 2016 - 07:35, said:
Rookiescot, on 21 May 2016 - 07:29, said:Rookiescot, on 21 May 2016 - 07:29, said:

Good luck.

These things all add up.

All that was required to apply for an extension of stay at immigration not a visa. You could of gotten a single entry or multiple non-o visa with your UK marriage certificate at a embassy or consulate. It is also possible to get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife with a non Thai marriage certificate. Doing a 60 day extension of the of the 90 day entry from a single entry non-o visa would give you about 5 months without the need to leave the country.

Not all countries make you jump through such hoops to get a your marriage certificate legalized. Many will still allow you do a self certification by doing a statement it is true, correct and valid at their embassy that a Amphoe will accept.

It was during my attempt to get a non-O visa (90 day) from the Royal Thai embassy in Laos that the issue of my wifes ID card came up. When I got that resolved then I did as you suggested. I should also mention that the immigration dept here in Nong Khai have been very helpful.

Valid point that the UK does seem to be the most difficult when it comes to the legalization of documents and most countries still make such a facility available at their embassies hence my advice to the OP to check what the procedure is for his country.

My post to the OP was simply intended to highlight the need to get the documentation in order before he leaves Sweden and not get into the mess I got into trying to sort it out after I got here.

• Like 1

As soon as you set up a Thai Bank savings account if you don't already have one wire as much money as you can for the future into Thailand.

Kasikorn Bank Mgr. in Nana told me if I close any account I can't reopen another without a work visa even with my retirement visa extension. I've been a customer for 9 years.

"...wire as much money as you can for the future into Thailand."

Don't really understand your point. Opening a bank account may take some checking from branch to branch, but it is still possible. Many people have done it and continue to manage to do it.

If you're applying for an extension and want to use the "money in a Thai bank" method, you should get the Baht 400,000 (or Baht 800,000 for retirement) into the account a couple of months before the first application, but aside from that, there's no need to stockpile money here for the future unless that is something you want to do. Many people, myself included, add to our bank accounts monthly, quarterly or whatever.

For someone from the US or UK who has a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, you can even add to your account by making domestic transfers to the Bangkok Bank branch in either New York or London.

Your post seems unnecessarily alarmist.

• Like 2

I would strongly recommend that you start the process of translations etc in Sweden that you will eventually need when you apply for a 12 month marriage extension in Thailand. You need to get your Swedish marriage registration document (as opposed to any civil marriage certificate) and your birth certificate translated into Thai and the translated documents need to be stamped by the Thai embassy. The embassy will only accept certain translating services so you must check with them. Before the embassy will stamp the original documents they will usually need them to be certified by the Swedish Department of Foreign Affairs or equivalent.

It is much easier to get these official translations/stamps etc while in Sweden.

Are sentences 1, 2 and 3 based solely on your experience with one manager at one branch of Kasikorn plus a vague recollection that one or two posters on Thai visa have had issues in the past? Come on, be honest with us.

People generally never post when things work as expected, "I went to the BBL and opened an account in 15 minutes", but only when things do not meet expectations.

Based on the extremely few and even, IMO, decreasing number of "can't open an account" posts, I conclude that the vast majority of foreigners have absolutely no problem in conducting their financial affairs with Thai banks.

• Like 2

Good luck.

Getting married legally in Thailand is a lot easier. Just get it registered at the Amphur and it;s official. You don't need to married in your homecountry too.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for all the input..
But now i see that i have another problem..
I was Born in The Netherlands, moved to Sweden when i was 24 and changed my name... (my dutch name is unpronouncable for swedes (an basicly anyone not dutch)).
Besides that, we do not have a birthcertificet in Holland...
I do have the little booklet that was signed when i was born, but that does not say much..
Is a "Personbevis" from Sweden the same thing as a birthcertificate?
Cause on my "Personbevis" my new name is stated, same name as on my weddingpapers...

Best regards

Stu

Thanks everybody for all the input..

But now i see that i have another problem..

I was Born in The Netherlands, moved to Sweden when i was 24 and changed my name... (my dutch name is unpronouncable for swedes (an basicly anyone not dutch)).

Besides that, we do not have a birthcertificet in Holland...

I do have the little booklet that was signed when i was born, but that does not say much..

Is a "Personbevis" from Sweden the same thing as a birthcertificate?

Cause on my "Personbevis" my new name is stated, same name as on my weddingpapers...

Best regards

Stu

You will not need your birth certificate for getting a visa or an extension of stay, All you need is your passport. I assume you have a Swedish passport now that has your new name on it. What have you seen that requires a birth certificate.

Google translate says "Personbevis" is birth certificate when translated.

I really don't understand why anyone in their right mind would want to wire as much money as they can into Thailand. I wire yearly living expenses, and keep the 800,000 baht on deposit to satisfy the financial requirements of a retirement visa/extension.

The majority ( 85% ) of my funds are in Australia. The stability of Thai politics and policies towards falangs is questionable. Personally, I think one should never bring more money into Thailand than one is prepared to lose.

• Like 2

Interesting, I just helped my niece open an account and she arrived with a SETV last week. If one branch denies you that doesn't mean that another branch of the same bank down the street will not open an account.

Good luck.

Getting married legally in Thailand is a lot easier. Just get it registered at the Amphur and it;s official. You don't need to married in your homecountry too.

Very good advice, took 15 minutes and cost 100 baht at the Amphur in Chiang Mai last year.

Edited by kanook

I thought one had to be over 50yrs to come and live in Thailand ?

After 10yrs of living in Thailand on a marriage visa , I would recommend this man to wait until he is 50yrs and then apply for a Retirement Visa .

The "O" visa in respect of marriage to a Thai is an absolute Pain , documents upon documents and more every year , photos , Ampher , head Man .

With a retirement visa you cut out all that marriage wife documentation . You just have to have Bt800,000 in a Thai bank account , or Bt65,000 monthly from abroad , or Bt400,000 in a Thai bank account and proof of Bt40,000 monthly income from abroad . I am just switching to a retirement visa .

Are sentences 1, 2 and 3 based solely on your experience with one manager at one branch of Kasikorn plus a vague recollection that one or two posters on Thai visa have had issues in the past? Come on, be honest with us.

People generally never post when things work as expected, "I went to the BBL and opened an account in 15 minutes", but only when things do not meet expectations.

Based on the extremely few and even, IMO, decreasing number of "can't open an account" posts, I conclude that the vast majority of foreigners have absolutely no problem in conducting their financial affairs with Thai banks.

In January i went to 4 different banks to open a fixed account with 800,000 baht

Each one informed me it was not possible without a work permit. Eventually i had to stay with my present one, Bangkok Bank.

Hopefully they will change this in the future

In January i went to 4 different banks to open a fixed account with 800,000 baht

Each one informed me it was not possible without a work permit. Eventually i had to stay with my present one, Bangkok Bank.

Hopefully they will change this in the future

What is your problem with the Bangkok Bank ?

I have found the bank to be very good and they meet all my banking needs.

I really don't understand why anyone in their right mind would want to wire as much money as they can into Thailand. I wire yearly living expenses, and keep the 800,000 baht on deposit to satisfy the financial requirements of a retirement visa/extension.

The majority ( 85% ) of my funds are in Australia. The stability of Thai politics and policies towards falangs is questionable. Personally, I think one should never bring more money into Thailand than one is prepared to lose.

Can't say for someone personally if Thailand is the right option, but surely understand why people feel the urge to get their money out of Europe..

Good luck.

Very good advice, took 15 minutes and cost 100 baht at the Amphur in Chiang Mai last year.

I was also thinking the same and just get married in Thailand when you get here.

But I do recall that one document that you need is approval from your embassy stating you can legally marry in Thailand, or they don't issue such certificates. So I am not sure if you can do this if you are legally married already. Even if that person is the woman you wish to marry here. ???

Good luck.

I was also thinking the same and just get married in Thailand when you get here.

But I do recall that one document that you need is approval from your embassy stating you can legally marry in Thailand, or they don't issue such certificates. So I am not sure if you can do this if you are legally married already. Even if that person is the woman you wish to marry here. ???

The OP says he is already married. It is not legally possible to "marry" the same person twice ! smile.png

• Like 1