Nominations for best farang restaurant/bar owner.....

KhonKaenKowboy

And before this turns out to be about The Dukes....the highly respected David does not qualify as owner, so that vote won't count. After reading the touts here on TVF, the Tripadvisor reviews (of which there are thousands), and having met some of these people personally; I am beginning to wonder if any of them aren't egotistical, narcissistic, manic depressives. The way they handle complaints or criticism? How do they even stay in business. It must be Hell for the employees. No wonder so many seem to be in pain, when you need a refill of water or something complicated like that. I know to take TA with a grain of salt, but where there is smoke there is fire. Some of these people fire back hard after a complaint, and then state that they've read all the other reviews of that poster, and it really becomes more of a character attack than an apology or a thanks for pointing it out. Maybe we can put our heads together and find some farang owned businesses to support that are stable and sustainable, with their owners being the same. If not, we are only hurting the ones who are stable, by giving soon to close businesses our business. I think Bullard was only a scratch on the surface, the way they came on here and berated anyone, who stated the obvious...and that was 150 for a pint of Leo was about twice too much for Hang Dong. It seems like there are quite a few others just like him.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basil at the Red Lion gets my vote. He's always friendly but knows when to give people their space and his beer prices, for stuff like Guinness, cider and real ales, are the cheapest in town. Like me, he doesn't like riffraff.

Basil at the Red Lion gets my vote. He's always friendly but knows when to give people their space and his beer prices, for stuff like Guinness, cider and real ales, are the cheapest in town. Like me, he doesn't like riffraff.

Walked past the Red Lion last night and it was absolutely packed (and this is low season). So he must be doing something right.

For the first time in years I went back to The Riverside. (Figured that the alcohol ban would be a good thing in terms of being less crowded and I was right.)

This place really is an amazing story, how you can do so well for over 3 decades, and remain equally popular with foreigners, locals, tourists, expats.. everyone.

Was surprised that even service improved.. I recall that as being a bit abrupt at times. Anyway it remains a beautiful 'old Chiang Mai' building, breezy riverside setting, live music that wasn't too loud (maybe again thanks to being there a bit earlier and on a no-alcohol night). It was exactly the way it was 20 years ago.

And no matter where you go on the internet, be it this forum or Tripadvisor there are all kinds of hip and trendy places being hyped.. Familiarity breeds contempt, perhaps..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

For the first time in years I went back to The Riverside. (Figured that the alcohol ban would be a good thing in terms of being less crowded and I was right.)

This place really is an amazing story, how you can do so well for over 3 decades, and remain equally popular with foreigners, locals, tourists, expats.. everyone.

Was surprised that even service improved.. I recall that as being a bit abrupt at times. Anyway it remains a beautiful 'old Chiang Mai' building, breezy riverside setting, live music that wasn't too loud (maybe again thanks to being there a bit earlier and on a no-alcohol night). It was exactly the way it was 20 years ago.

And no matter where you go on the internet, be it this forum or Tripadvisor there are all kinds of hip and trendy places being hyped.. Familiarity breeds contempt, perhaps..

Isn't that place "For Sale"?

Yummy Pizza - Tony, always a great night out

Auf De Au - Udo, awesome buffet at amazing low price

Dukes - Dave, can't leave him out as he is definitely majority owner. Promenada Dukes menu has some tasty new additions and the food is excellent.

I agree that you can't leave out David from Duke's. What he and wife Pim have built over the years is as amazing as Riverside.

In the small restaurant category, Brian Pern at Pern'd Restaurant on Huay Kaew Rd. gets our business at least once a week. Very caring about his regulars and goes out of his way to make CM visitors and newcomers welcome.

why not include thai owned as well, stacks around ?????

Farang in the title of the op's post would give a clue to what he was asking for responses on?

Tony at Yummy for me.

You could start your own thread, E/S and I'd nominate the lady who runs the restaurant in our condo.

"For Sale" businesses will not be eligible for the title, since we know what often happens when they change hands.....we actually made it almost three months without someone mentioning White Plate, until the other day. The Game lasted longer than The WP. After we get this sorted, maybe we should have a "most hyped, quickest crash and burn flop by a farang," but an OD death by a conman is going to be hard to beat. BTW, I have some reservations about making reservations at Yummy....let me see. Employees laying down on the job, "loose cannon," "threatened with physical violence," "1750 THB for two, with no alcohol," He seems to fit the MO pretty well. Some strange tales out of Hang Dong, that's for sure.

Geckko Garden seems to have faded a lot in popularity. I wonder what happened over there, but I scratched it off my list two years ago.

Whisk 1 Egg and 8 oz Parmesan Cheese. Soften 8 oz Cream Cheese and. Chop 2 - 4 Jalapeño peppers. Combine.

Take one tablespoon of mixture, roll into a ball, then roll in Panko. Place on a baking sheet and bake 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

“I am beginning to wonder if any of them aren't egotistical, narcissistic, manic depressives. How do they even stay in business. It must be Hell for the employees. No wonder so many seem to be in pain.”

You’re a troll. Go away or go out.

Auf der Au. Incredibly well run establishment and owners who are always there to greet you with a smile and a warm welcome.

But don't go on the schnitzel night expecting the same as other nights...most of the buffet items are not available.

Auf der Au. Incredibly well run establishment and owners who are always there to greet you with a smile and a warm welcome.

But don't go on the schnitzel night expecting the same as other nights...most of the buffet items are not available.

The weekend buffets are made special with a wide selection of fabulous home-made cakes and desserts ... if you've got room left. tongue.png

special for Saturday,lamb chops 199bht with all the dressings Gecko bar,just saying,Went to get my quota Danish blue cheese there today. he does varie his menu that guy, give him credit

Rudi has done a good job a Gecko. The food isn't the greatest in the world but it's OK and well priced.

The Fish & Chips are good and not expensive. Big menu enough for farang's and Thai's. Gets a lot of people in at night and you can always find someone to talk to if you want. It's not a stocks and shares discussion bar, although there's sometimes the odd character that wants to show off, in which case it's time to move on. It's one of the few remaining 'old' style Chiang Mai places and I hope it keeps going. For newbies who need somewhere this is a good starting point or join the Ex Pats Club and I'm sure you will be directed to a more suitable place, as the people there know a variety of restaurants in Malls, by the river,in the night bazaar etc, in fact somewhere to fulfill all your and others needs.

The UN Irish Pub (google it) is another OK place especially for Sports Fans.

The food is good, the prices aren't exorbitant and the quality reasonable.

Nice cold beer and four TV's with different sports, great for tourist's.

Edited by uptheos