I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your not living mate your existing, good luck with that it can have its down side

What a bunch of nonsense.

How do you know he's existing?

I posted a similar thread a while back being a cheap Charlie and all. I find it challenging to spend 30k a month. I don't have any accommodation expenses and stay in nice hotels about 8 times a month (posting this from millenium hilton). Most stays paid with credit card points.

Find a woman that doesn't expect you to build her a house or even better that owns one like in my case and you'll be saving a bunch of money in Thailand without "existing".

Are you the same guy who created a Thread about how he couldn't afford to live in Thailand anymore and was moving back to Canada, now suddenly you are saying you find it hard to spend 30000b.

Yes, you are that same guy.

Hmmmm.

So the question is which thread was he trolling in ?

Just say 'mai ow phom sharot' no msg thank you.

Gotta say, I get tickled reading such advice after days like yesterday when I ordered a hamburger and 2 waters to eat in, and they brought me 2 hamburgers to go with no water. And she spoke English.

One of my first lessons in tonal languages was when a British educated Hong Kong native co-worker in China tried to order spicy chicken (in Mandarin- his native language was Cantonese), and all the local Chinese employees busted a gut laughing. Turns out the only difference between "spicy chicken" and "garbage" is the tone. The words sounded exactly the same to me.

I'm afraid they'd either triple up on the MSG, leave it out, or look at me real funny and spit in my food because that's what I'd asked for. One in 3, not good odds- so thanks, but no thanks.

Edited by impulse

I posted a similar thread a while back being a cheap Charlie and all. I find it challenging to spend 30k a month. I don't have any accommodation expenses and stay in nice hotels about 8 times a month (posting this from millenium hilton). Most stays paid with credit card points.

Find a woman that doesn't expect you to build her a house or even better that owns one like in my case and you'll be saving a bunch of money in Thailand without "existing".

indeed... but applied to your "challenge spending 30k, 8 times nice hotels most paid for with cc points, not building a house bla-bla..."

what big "challenge" is it to find a restaurant in Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya where two persons can easily spend (10-15k and more) dining and wining on a single evening?

assuming you pay 20k out of the 30k with cc, how many points do you get for how many nights in a nice hotel?

not really worth a comment is "finding a woman who owns a house where one can live rent free".

i would find it a big challenge to spend less than 250k although i don't frequent restaurants or bars and i don't pay any rent. perhaps i should use credit cards and collect points to pay for most of my expenses? gigglem.gif

personally i admire people who live a content live spending 30k or even less. but i am getting angry when cheap Charlies are trying to lecture me and suggest their preferred life style is the non plus ultra of living that applies to me too. dry.png

Are you the same guy who created a Thread about how he couldn't afford to live in Thailand anymore and was moving back to Canada, now suddenly you are saying you find it hard to spend 30000b.

Hmmmm.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Well when you spend so much money in Europe you might have forgotten the social benefits that you are also getting. Compare a salary you get in Europe with Thailand and then you realize why is Thailand so much cheaper. The reason your friend complain is that he has bought a very expensive flat and though he has a good salary he still have to pay big amount of money every month for mortgage and interest rates.

And yes you are a cheap charlie the money you spend in a year is much less than a rent I pay for 10 months. You don't have to live in a very large and luxurious flat but if you have the money to live better but you just can't spend then yes you are cheap charlie and don't worry when you are gone people left will enjoy your money in better way.

Your not living mate your existing, good luck with that it can have its down side

Are you the same guy who created a Thread about how he couldn't afford to live in Thailand anymore and was comparing prices back in Canada and now suddenly you are saying you find it hard to spend 30000b.

Hmmmm.

Yes, I am the same guy? What's your point?

I also did a thread I am the ultimate cheap charlie. Find it and amuse yourself.

Yes, I did this thread when CAD$ was below 25 and sinking. I can't afford to live in Thailand was a manner of speech. Of course I can afford to live in Thailand. The point of that thread was living a full western lifestyle was actually cheaper in Canada and in Thailand when comparing real estate, quality food, medicare and other benefits that would pay dividends later on in life.

Again, what's your point?

Are you the same guy who created a Thread about how he couldn't afford to live in Thailand anymore and was comparing prices back in Canada and now suddenly you are saying you find it hard to spend 30000b.

Hmmmm.

I also did a thread I am the ultimate cheap charlie. Find it and amuse yourself.

Yes, I did this thread when CAD$ was below 25 and sinking. I can't afford to live in Thailand was a manner of speech. Of course I can afford to live in Thailand. The point of that thread was living a full western lifestyle was actually cheaper in Canada and in Thailand when comparing real estate, quality food, medicare and other benefits that would pay dividends later on in life.

your current location is Thailand or Canada ?

indeed... but applied to your "challenge spending 30k, 8 times nice hotels most paid for with cc points, not building a house bla-bla..."

what big "challenge" is it to find a restaurant in Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya where two persons can easily spend (10-15k and more) dining and wining on a single evening?

assuming you pay 20k out of the 30k with cc, how many points do you get for how many nights in a nice hotel?

not really worth a comment is "finding a woman who owns a house where one can live rent free".

i would find it a big challenge to spend less than 250k although i don't frequent restaurants or bars and i don't pay any rent. perhaps i should use credit cards and collect points to pay for most of my expenses? gigglem.gif

personally i admire people who live a content live spending 30k or even less. but i am getting angry when cheap Charlies are trying to lecture me and suggest their preferred life style is the non plus ultra of living that applies to me too. dry.png

I don't spend 20 thousand baht on my credit card. I spend about $200,000 a year. Maybe it's better not to comment about things you know nothing about? Just sayin'.

As for getting your feelings hurt regarding cheap charlies, well same thing with me when some old guy comes here and tells me "you're paying for it one way or another". Oh, boy... how wrong and delusional they are. So, I emphasize on every thread how I am not paying jack.

Understand?

Hmmmm.

One minute it's I can't afford to live in Thailand and the next minute it's of course I can afford to live in Thailand.

Why name it I can't afford to live in Thailand anymore if it's not the case.

Name it, It's cheaper to live in Canada than Thailand.

By naming the thread In the way you did made many people waste their time replying to a topic that actually had nothing to do with a real case scenerio.

Nowhere in that topic did you ever make any attempt to let other members know that it was a manner of speech.

Next time try not to be so deceitful.

thai girls have a name for someone like you.You should know what it is,as youve probably been called it a few times.Now i suppose you're gonna bleat 'but i dont drink,smoke or go into bars'.

You will live forever.

Was that meant for me?

Trust me, I would rather girls call me cheap charlie or whatever Thai label they like to put on me than be a sucker.

The girls that put labels like this are not worth my time... here or Canada.

Fortunately there are some that aren't like this. Sadly you will never know.

I don't spend 20 thousand baht on my credit card. I spend about $200,000 a year. Maybe it's better not to comment about things you know nothing about? Just sayin'.

As for getting your feelings hurt regarding cheap charlies, well same thing with me when some old guy comes here and tells me "you're paying for it one way or another". Oh, boy... how wrong and delusional they are. So, I emphasize on every thread how I am not paying jack.

Understand?

please gimme a break!

you spend $200k/year but find it "a challenge to spend 30k Baht" and claim in your "can't afford.." thread that presently your only income is the rent of a flat you own in Canada; all topped with "find a woman who owns a house".

have you no shame to present that kind of BS? dry.png

If the OP is happy with his life, its no business of anybody else.

Enjoy your life mate, be happy.

Sorry if its no business of anybody why is it posting at all, and for thousands of people that will read it, then anyone seems to be authorised to give an opinion...not necesserily good by the way it is called a forum smile.png

I have always lived in a room,,,

try leaving your room (cell) sometime.

I share the OP's sentiment, i spent very little during

my time in Thailand mainly because i was living like

a Thai in friends house in rural areas with not much

to do therefore not much to spend, i thought about

this for a long time then i reversed the situation, if

a Thai came to live in Europe for example and lived

somewhere in a rural environment he could be saying

the same as you 'word for word' remember you are in a

cheaper country spending a foreign currency, you don't

contribute to a social network or taxes, what's the benefit

you have more disposable cash, what's the downside, well

if you get old or sick or are involved in an accident, you

will find out. You will have no support.

Welcome to Thailand.

For someone who claims to have been raised in England and studied in England, you do not seem to have a very good command of the English language.

This leads me to suspect that you are a troll.

and not a very convincing one.

Even when we're in town and eating in the malls we always head for the Thai food section. Thais aren't very good at imitations, and that includes imitations of farang food.

I must be doing something wrong, because every time I eat in the Thai food section, I get the shakes and I'm hungry and very sleepy (to the point of being crabby) 30 minutes later.

That's not so prevalent in more expensive places, so I chalked it up to MSG in cheap Thai food, but maybe it's something else?

Because I love the flavors- but many Thai foods don't appear to like me.

It's probably the MSG, sugar and salt. Or perhaps the ubiquitous chili.

No-one has to eat Thai food here if they don't want to. All it takes is going to one of the multitude of Thai daily markets, where one can buy fish,meat, vegetables and fruit at very low cost, then take it home and cook it themselves.

I've been eating market food here for over 7 years,and have never been sick on it even once. It's not hard to discern the good food stalls, there are clusters of Thais around them.

Yeah nice one bazza, except youve thrown common sense into the mix. In these nasty threads it's just pure black and white. If you don't spend 5000 baht a week in Lotus or Villa than you must only eat somtam in the gutter or the dodgiest Street food available. Same as if you live here on a budget than by default you must be a lowlife loser in a fan room who soon is going to (hopefully) have a an accident that will devastate whatever savings you have and ruin your life. Some really miserable <deleted> on here. It's no surprise most foreigners dodge other foreigners like the plague in Thailand. Who would want to meet any of these judgemental sods

Just back from the supermarket.

Cheese, sausage, slab of cider and a 4 pack of Heinz Beans. About 5 times the cost of the UK.

Anywhere you live in the world, imported food cost more than local food.

Have you ever considered that?

P.S. You are paying a lot for a pretty unhealthy diet.

Try some Asian food.

You will live longer for far less money!

Next week it looks like back to sausage and beans coz the classic car needs 4 tyres, eat enough beans I can inflate the new tyres myself.

Anyone can live anywhere on next to nothing until the first big medical bill comes in.

On a personal basis I really don't give a big rats ass what I spend on what. I sometimes enjoy a big plate of mashed potatoes and mince, or tatties n mince, to give it it's correct name. I also enjoy a really well prepared and served classic dish with a good bottle of wine etc etc.

Every so often the dogs get a whole roast chicken each. Sometimes I get an extra one and eat it at the same time as the dogs, but, I do it at the table.

Sometimes I eat MaMa noodles, but only to cure constipation.

OK you may think this post is a bit silly but I thought I'd just join in.

A lot of cost of living where one lives in Thailand. In a small town or village there is less to spend money on.

And introverts tend to spend less than extroverts (my observation).

To one of the OP's points I have noticed that I can sometimes become a bit Cheap Charlie about spending when I've been spending little. I also notice the opposite when I've been spending more.

Hmmmm.

Hasn't anyone noticed how there are so many posts now by members who seem to have maybe 15-30 posts, and that they piuck a subject that invariably inflames the farangs? Notice how they 'speak' English so poorly and yet claim to be from a country/region that speaks English. Me thinks that the answer to the above question is affirmatiove - and/or they are locals employed to 'stir' by posting comments that will generate lots of other posts - which is all good business for the new Thai owners (the more the posts/hits, the more they sell adds). Has anyone else noticed how many more adds there are on every page since George sold - some posts take ages to download fully. Or am I reading more into it than there is and becoming a grumpy old conspiracy theorist :)

Even when we're in town and eating in the malls we always head for the Thai food section. Thais aren't very good at imitations, and that includes imitations of farang food.

I must be doing something wrong, because every time I eat in the Thai food section, I get the shakes and I'm hungry and very sleepy (to the point of being crabby) 30 minutes later.

That's not so prevalent in more expensive places, so I chalked it up to MSG in cheap Thai food, but maybe it's something else?

Because I love the flavors- but many Thai foods don't appear to like me.

I used to get a similar reaction years ago, I thought it was a hangover as it invariably followed a drinking session, even a light session. It took me years to pin it down, but it turned out to be salt overdose from my favourite snack while drinking beer. Traditional pork scratchings in the UK tend to be very salty, and my habit of scrapping the bottom of the bag for the last bits didn't help.

Anyway, the upshot is that now take care of how much salt I eat and the blinding headaches and nausea are a thing of the past.

Might be a good idea for you to identify your culinary nemesis through a process of elimination, then you can eat with confidence when you know the culprit.

Just wonder who gets profit from these stupid threads ans who would be paid by this forum for no reason if they were not posting this nonsense...

Hasn't anyone noticed how there are so many posts now by members who seem to have maybe 15-30 posts, and that they piuck a subject that invariably inflames the farangs? Notice how they 'speak' English so poorly and yet claim to be from a country/region that speaks English. Me thinks that the answer to the above question is affirmatiove - and/or they are locals employed to 'stir' by posting comments that will generate lots of other posts - which is all good business for the new Thai owners (the more the posts/hits, the more they sell adds). Has anyone else noticed how many more adds there are on every page since George sold - some posts take ages to download fully. Or am I reading more into it than there is and becoming a grumpy old conspiracy theorist smile.png