I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

I seriously cant believe the op, even back on 2004 I found the minimum someone could survive decently in Thailand is at least 25K per month or 300K per year, I am sure the op is living in nakhon nowhere with a simple room without furniture, air-con or fridge eating fried rice everyday and riding 5 baht buses !!!, nowadays you need to spend at least 30K per month in Bangkok or 25K elsewhere.

Costs vary a lot depending on where you are. "Elsewhere" is a bit too generalized.

And what's minimum for you for a "decent" lifestyle is different for someone else. I know some people living on very little--even people that have plenty of money. If you are living out in the country there isn't necessarily a lot to spend money on once you are set up.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that living in Thailand it is possible to easily live on 300 Baht a day. I tried it just to find out what you can get away with. But like many people I became disillusioned with the ever changing laws and no personal individual rights. The corrupt 2 price system of greed, that I started looking around and found that the largest country in Europe, the Ukraine, where the cost of living is 60 to 70% of what it is in Thailand. Gatwick / Heathrow fare, about half the price of flying to Thailand. Boryspil airport to the Metro station about £1 then about the equivalent of about 5 baht to anywhere on the metro system into Kiev. The price of bus fares have a flat fare single journey at less than 5 Baht. Individual buildings and monuments are huge and impressive. You can own land as long as it is not farmland. The police when I got a bit lost even drove me 8 and a half kilometres to me hotel when I could not find the right bus. Thailand's anti foreigner attitude is set to drive many foreigners away for good, including me. No 90 day stupid sign ins. Existing in a condo is not my idea. I want to relax and not worry about being arrested for something stupid. Still Thailand has it's Chinese tourists that the Government wants, but the Thai businesses and people don't want.

"Possible to leave easily live on 300B/day" ? wow. That's roughly the official minimum wage isn't it? Even Thais really struggle to live with this, so if you can do it "easily" then you must live some life I cant hardly imagine...

Unless you include only food in this and count housing, water, electricity etc. apart.

I seriously cant believe the op, even back on 2004 I found the minimum someone could survive decently in Thailand is at least 25K per month or 300K per year, I am sure the op is living in nakhon nowhere with a simple room without furniture, air-con or fridge eating fried rice everyday and riding 5 baht buses !!!, nowadays you need to spend at least 30K per month in Bangkok or 25K elsewhere.

Costs vary a lot depending on where you are. "Elsewhere" is a bit too generalized.

And what's minimum for you for a "decent" lifestyle is different for someone else. I know some people living on very little--even people that have plenty of money. If you are living out in the country there isn't necessarily a lot to spend money on once you are set up.

usually when someone talks about cost of living in any given country it s usually the average cost of the 4 major cities which in Thailand are (Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang mai, Pattaya) , I can hardly imagine anyone living here without spending 1,500 baht per week on essential food and grocery items, even if he eats cheaply at street stalls it s at least 100-80 baht per meal, then adds another 1,000 and if we calculate going out and transportation fees, that s roughly 4,000 baht per week, add utility bills and rental of a very basic room (4,000 baht) and we came to 20,000 anyone living with less than that is living below the line of poverty.

Edited by marcofunny

I have found that living in Thailand it is possible to easily live on 300 Baht a day. I tried it just to find out what you can get away with. But like many people I became disillusioned with the ever changing laws and no personal individual rights. The corrupt 2 price system of greed, that I started looking around and found that the largest country in Europe, the Ukraine, where the cost of living is 60 to 70% of what it is in Thailand. Gatwick / Heathrow fare, about half the price of flying to Thailand. Boryspil airport to the Metro station about £1 then about the equivalent of about 5 baht to anywhere on the metro system into Kiev. The price of bus fares have a flat fare single journey at less than 5 Baht. Individual buildings and monuments are huge and impressive. You can own land as long as it is not farmland. The police when I got a bit lost even drove me 8 and a half kilometres to me hotel when I could not find the right bus. Thailand's anti foreigner attitude is set to drive many foreigners away for good, including me. No 90 day stupid sign ins. Existing in a condo is not my idea. I want to relax and not worry about being arrested for something stupid. Still Thailand has it's Chinese tourists that the Government wants, but the Thai businesses and people don't want.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I wanted to quickly comment on this post.

I like Ukraine. I have been there three times. Part of the reason it is so cheap now is because of the devaluation of the currency, particularly over the last few years. Their currency is worth about 1/5 of what it was (compared to the USD) in 2008. Be careful in assuming that it will always be so cheap.

And Ukraine has brutally cold winters.

And Ukraine isn't the largest country in Europe. The European portion of Russia, by itself, is much larger than Ukraine.

Okay, back to the topic.

usually when someone talks about cost of living in any given country it s usually the average cost of the 4 major cities which in Thailand are (Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang mai, Pattaya) , I can hardly imagine anyone living here without spending 1,500 baht per week on essential food and grocery items, even if he eats cheaply at street stalls it s at least 100-80 baht per meal, then adds another 1,000 and if we calculate going out and transportation fees, that s roughly 4,000 baht per week, add utility bills and rental of a very basic room (4,000 baht) and we came to 20,000 anyone living with less than that is living below the line of poverty.

I've never heard of a cost of living in a country being the average cost of the four major cities. All that would give you is an average cost of living in a major city. There are a hundreds of places to live in Thailand besides those four places. Most of them are less expensive than three of the four you mentioned.

And do you really think that Phuket and Pattaya should be considered two of the "4 major cities" in Thailand?

I agree with your general point but not with what you think is a "minimum." There are people out there doing it for less.

If you can't afford 1 million baht for a couple to live comfortably then you seriously can't be doing anything. A good holiday a couple of weekends away every year are essential, not a luxury.

You don't need to have fillet steak every night nor can you live on fried rice every night.

If you are in your late twenties/early thirties living 'happily' on 25/30 thousand a month how much are putting into pensions etc for later. Believe me your Gov' pension won't cut it. Falling over your dog in the garden, done it, ok I was, well make a guess, and smaking the back of your head on a concrete post cost me quite a few thousand, no not for the post?.

But if you're happy now go for it.

I live in Pattaya not far from the beach and I have all I want. I eat fresh fruits for 5x less than in Europe. eat chicken and chichkebab... most of my food is bought on the street and it s very good. probably better than you food cooked in Chinese toilets. or sushi traveling in front of people who cough...

condo was 4100 last month, all included.

I should have asked the question like this: "what would you do if you go back in your farang and suddenly everything is 10x cheaper?"

would you eat 10x more and buy 10 cars, rent a flat that is 10x bigger?

if you have a normal lifestyle, I can tell you it's hard to spend more. it has nothing to do being a cheap Charlie.

Instead to spend, I save the money for my retirement and this is why I like being in Thailand. I got more for less, when in Europe I would worry of losing job, ... not even sure to live on a retirement pension when I reach the 65yo.(maybe pushed to 95 one day because pension' money (SS for US guys here) is melting like an ice cream under the sun )

Edited by returnofthailand

If you can't afford 1 million baht for a couple to live comfortably then you seriously can't be doing anything. A good holiday a couple of weekends away every year are essential, not a luxury.

You don't need to have fillet steak every night nor can you live on fried rice every night.

If you are in your late twenties/early thirties living 'happily' on 25/30 thousand a month how much are putting into pensions etc for later. Believe me your Gov' pension won't cut it. Falling over your dog in the garden, done it, ok I was, well make a guess, and smaking the back of your head on a concrete post cost me quite a few thousand, no not for the post.

Government pension is great. It's not taxed and will always be there = votes.

People have been saying government pension won't cut it for the last 50 years yet people are surviving just fine.

To get an ok size 40sqm one bedroom apartment in a decent location in Bkk is 15 to 20k. Health and car insurance, electric, water, phone, Internet is another 10k. Food costs can very but cooking in room, Thai and western, for two people is at least 10 to 15k. If you drink you are looking at another 5K plus. Add to that going out to movies, going out to dinner, buying cloths and bathroom items etc and you can add 10k more very easy. That's 50k plus and that don't even cover your visa and re-entry, trips back home, money as gifts to gf, etc etc which could add a few more K a month. How someone can call living on 30k a month living is beyond me but I guess everyone's standards and ability are different. If I had to do it I guess I could or if I wanted to take advantage of people I guess I could.

I lived in a village for a few years and the guys there who were cheap were talked about behind their backs daily by Thais and even a few farangs. Most moved into their girlfriend's house and basically lived same Thais. They drank what ever was the cheapest and ate the unhealthy oily crap on the street, that's not living in my book ... But up to you as they say in LOS.

I live in Pattaya not far from the beach and I have all I want. I eat fresh fruits for 5x less than in Europe. eat chicken and chichkebab... most of my food is bought on the street and it s very good. probably better than you food cooked in Chinese toilets. or sushi traveling in front of people who cough...

condo was 4100 last month, all included.

I should have asked the question like this: "what would you do if you go back in your farang and suddenly everything is 10x cheaper?"

would you eat 10x more and buy 10 cars, rent a flat that is 10x bigger?

if you have a normal lifestyle, I can tell you it's hard to spend more. it has nothing to do being a cheap Charlie.

Instead to spend, I save the money for my retirement and this is why I like being in Thailand. I got more for less, when in Europe I would worry of losing job, ... not even sure to live on a retirement pension when I reach the 65yo.(maybe pushed to 95 one day because pension' money (SS for US guys here) is melting like an ice cream under the sun )

and what about health and accident insurance ? Had a friend who lived here on the cheap for years. While riding his motorbike home one afternoon a Thai on another bike hit him head on. He never expected it or had a way to avoid it, just boom ! 3 million baht later, his family had to pay, I was with him on a plane trip to take him home to his family. He was never right afterwards and died about 4 years later. He was about 40 when he passed. You may save money but there are risks .

To get an ok size 40sqm one bedroom apartment in a decent location in Bkk is 15 to 20k. Health and car insurance, electric, water, phone, Internet is another 10k. Food costs can very but cooking in room, Thai and western, for two people is at least 10 to 15k. If you drink you are looking at another 5K plus. Add to that going out to movies, going out to dinner, buying cloths and bathroom items etc and you can add 10k more very easy. That's 50k plus and that don't even cover your visa and re-entry, trips back home, money as gifts to gf, etc etc which could add a few more K a month. How someone can call living on 30k a month living is beyond me but I guess everyone's standards and ability are different. If I had to do it I guess I could or if I wanted to take advantage of people I guess I could.

I lived in a village for a few years and the guys there who were cheap were talked about behind their backs daily by Thais and even a few farangs. Most moved into their girlfriend's house and basically lived same Thais. They drank what ever was the cheapest and ate the unhealthy oily crap on the street, that's not living in my book ... But up to you as they say in LOS.

I lived in Belgrade on $200 a month. I lived in Toronto while paying my downtown condo mortgage on less than $2000 (55,000 baht) a month.

I think you can live just fine in Bangkok for less than 30,000 baht a month.

I love Thailand. The only reason I won't spend my retirement here is because of free Canadian health insurance. By then I'll be able to afford going to bangers several times a year first class.

I lived in Belgrade on $200 a month. I lived in Toronto while paying my downtown condo mortgage on less than $2000 (55,000 baht) a month.

I love Thailand. The only reason I won't spend my retirement here is because of free Canadian health insurance. By then I'll be able to afford going to bangers several times a year first class.

What are you going to do with all the money you have saved by being cautious when you die?

If you are in your late twenties/early thirties living 'happily' on 25/30 thousand a month how much are putting into pensions etc for later. Believe me your Gov' pension won't cut it. Falling over your dog in the garden, done it, ok I was, well make a guess, and smaking the back of your head on a concrete post cost me quite a few thousand, no not for the post.

Government pension is great. It's not taxed and will always be there = votes.

People have been saying government pension won't cut it for the last 50 years yet people are surviving just fine.

Note your word 'surviving'

you can live decently in Portugal, Bulgaria or Slovakia for less than 600 euros( 24,000 Baht) a month, visa is almost free, good wine in Portugal is only 1.85 euro (75 Baht), you can find a good 35m studio room close to the sea with all utilities paid for 200 euros (7,500 baht).

Edited by marcofunny

does that includes visa run fees and trips to Thai embassies ??, I spent almost 45,000 baht a year on visa fees or almost 4,000 per month, each time i visit the immigration office I spend 2500-3000 baht 1900 on extension fees + 500-800 on food - transport etc..

Edited by marcofunny

Scary to think that there are this many misguided people in Thailand.

If a person has not equipped themselves with skill or education to survive in their own country, the answer is they are just not a smart person period.

One day this person will wake up, the same as many others and realize he has nothing. Nothing to call his own.

He will grow old and bitter. No medical insurance, no retirement, no savings.

His beautiful gf, dreaming of a house and car, will leave with the first farang that gives her what she is looking for.

I am sure you could live in Venezuela pretty cheap right now as well.

Existing and living are too different things.

You are just not smart enough to know the difference.

Scary to think that there are this many misguided people in Thailand.

If a person has not equipped themselves with skill or education to survive in their own country, the answer is they are just not a smart person period.

One day this person will wake up, the same as many others and realize he has nothing. Nothing to call his own.

He will grow old and bitter. No medical insurance, no retirement, no savings.

His beautiful gf, dreaming of a house and car, will leave with the first farang that gives her what she is looking for.

I am sure you could live in Venezuela pretty cheap right now as well.

Existing and living are too different things.

You are just not smart enough to know the difference.

OP said he is saving money

If that's the case, his methodology of spending as little as possible on trimmings sounds pretty smart to me

Just back from the supermarket.

Cheese, sausage, slab of cider and a 4 pack of Heinz Beans. About 5 times the cost of the UK.

And you come to Thailand to eat the food you eat in the UK and complain about the price. If you bought Thai food in Thailand you would probably find it considerably cheaper than the UK.

Chicken is extremely cheap in Thailand.

I pay 88 baht for 2 large organic chicken breast chunks (enough for 2 meals) which would cost me $20 in Canada. If I decide to go non organic from bigC it's less than 30 baht ($10 in Canada).

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I suffer from silent reflux, so I am forced to eat either khao man gai at the mall for 35-50 baht or cook chicken at home which I sometimes mix with salad bar from gourmet market. I don't (can't) drink and can't stand the smell of sea food. I am saving a lot of money eating healthy food here. I do like cheese, bread, bakeries, but I can rarely eat that. I can't even eat the amazing buffet spread at hotels because of this disease.... if I do I suffer for 2-3 days.

I do think Thai street food is mostly low quality and I avoid it, however, if you cook at home the savings are substantial.

That being said, if anyone has some good chicken recipes.....

Chicken is extremely cheap in Thailand.

I pay 88 baht for 2 large organic chicken breast chunks (enough for 2 meals) which would cost me $20 in Canada. If I decide to go non organic from bigC it's less than 30 baht ($10 in Canada).

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I suffer from silent reflux, so I am forced to eat either khao man gai at the mall for 35-50 baht or cook chicken at home which I sometimes mix with salad bar from gourmet market. I don't (can't) drink and can't stand the smell of sea food. I am saving a lot of money eating healthy food here. I do like cheese, bread, bakeries, but I can rarely eat that. I can't even eat the amazing buffet spread at hotels because of this disease.... if I do I suffer for 2-3 days.

I do think Thai street food is mostly low quality and I avoid it, however, if you cook at home the savings are substantial.

That being said, if anyone has some good chicken recipes.....

How many grams are those chicken breasts and where are you buying them ?.... am a bit over the chicken the missus has been buying.

guys, I win so much that you will get bored with winning like me.

it cost me 200 dollars to get a visa and 100 for a run to Lao. that was the time when I could get a 2 entries visa.

14000 bahts /month. few trip around. this is what I spend usually.

nice room at 3000 (don't rent where farang rent, you are ripped off) let Thai gf deal with rent.

Street food are same as in restaurant but you don't know it , the extra you pay is for seats and a/c and maintain toilet.

tomorrow I go food court eat Pad Thai. 50 bahts.

what s wrong with that? free ac and free toilet.

Edited by returnofthailand

For a young guy, and single, sometimes Thailand is not so cheap if he is a party animal...and its may party with the same kind of beauties

But....for a guy in its late 60s like myself...married with a lot younger Thai, and with a relaxing life..is another history. Life here it is not just cheaper...

When I think in coming back to the US......Hummmm

I just look at my former online dating sites, here and in the US...Still on..and getting messages and "propositions"...

In Thailand... from slender dream girls...30 to..

In the US... from fat nightmare monsters...55 to...

guys, I win so much that you will get bored with winning like me.

it cost me 200 dollars to get a visa and 100 for a run to Lao. that was the time when I could get a 2 entries visa.

14000 bahts /month. few trip around. this is what I spend usually.

nice room at 3000 (don't rent where farang rent, you are ripped off) let Thai gf deal with rent.

Street food are same as in restaurant but you don't know it , the extra you pay is for seats and a/c and maintain toilet.

tomorrow I go food court eat Pad Thai. 50 bahts.

what s wrong with that? free ac and free toilet.

Bt.14000 minus Bt3000 rent = 11000.

Visa ($200+100=$300) 7200b. / 120days = Bt1825 per month.

Bt.11000 minus Bt.1825 = Bt.9175.

1 meal per day = Bt.1520 per month.

Bt.9175 minus Bt.1520 = Bt.7655

Bt.7655 left = Bt.251 per day... from that comes electric/water/more meals etc etc.

Me thinks you are telling porky pies.

Edited by Don Mega