NE people unhappy with life after military take-over

rooster59

^^

How do you know what the European population discusses?

Europeans are more likely to be discussing the effects of mass, uncontrolled migration by 'refugees' than they are the situation in some SE Asian country !

And that excludes any other topics, then?

Who did you mean by "These people" earlier on?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to see you have rubl's back - you dwindling band of junta supporters need each other's support.

So, where has this been taken for granted and how come you can speak for the rural poor regarding what factors have a significance in their daily lives? How have you gained this profound knowledge (I must admit I'm impressed)?

PS. Please urge rubl to be straight regarding why he's supporting the junta. You admitted that you don't care who's in power as long as it's not Thaksin, but rubl doesn't have the reproductive stones to admit this. Kudos to you BTW for admitting this - you're the only junta supporter so far that has been honest.

Please refrain from such insinuations. The very fact I have an opinion different from yours and a few other 'nice' posters here doesn't make me a junta supporter, nor a fascist, nor someone who should be ashamed of himself, etc., etc. Just someone with a different opinion.

Now back to the OP we do not have much to go on. Blaming the junta is easy, but possibly a drying up of the 870 billion Baht Pheu Thai paid directly to rice farmers is more of a reason.

"Please refrain from such insinuations. The very fact I have an opinion different from yours and a few other 'nice' posters here doesn't make me a junta supporter..."

Well, you could have fooled me (and, I guess, a number of other posters). I don't think I've ever read serious criticism of the junta by you.

"...nor a fascist, nor someone who should be ashamed of himself..."

Never claimed you were or should. Touchy, are we?

" Now back to the OP we do not have much to go on."

Totally agree. That's why I'm advocating holding an election so that we can find out once and for all. I mean, according to the government polls any elections should be a formality for the ruling junta, right?

The 'fascist' comes from some of the other 'nice' posters.

If you label anyone who doesn't critisise the junta as you do as 'junta supporters" 98% of the Thai population may carry the same label. Furthermore apart from some MEPs in Brussels the European population doesn't seem to discuss and critisise the junta. All junta supporters, or just afraid they can't go to Thailand on holiday if they critisise?

As for "let's have an election", reasoned from a Western background as usual.

"If you label anyone who doesn't critisise the junta as you do as 'junta supporters" 98% of the Thai population may carry the same label."

A person who never criticizes the junta (correct me if I'm wrong) but continuously harp on about Thaksin this and Thaksin that shouldn't be offended by being labeled a junta supporter. And I very much doubt if 98% of the population in Thailand don't criticize the junta. Again, too bad there are no elections that can prove me wrong.

"Furthermore apart from some MEPs in Brussels the European population doesn't seem to discuss and critisise the junta."

And why should they? Most people in Europe don't give a rodent's behind what the junta does, just as they don't go around criticizing North Korea and other friends of Thailand. You, OTOH, participate in a forum about Thailand so the comparison you make is laughable.

"As for "let's have an election", reasoned from a Western background as usual."

Yes, those pesky elections - wrong people being elected all the time! Although spending more than two decades here I am of course reasoning from a Western background - I was brought up there. Were you, perhaps, brought up in the East? Or are you claiming that those who call for elections don't understand Thailand? What about all the Thais that want elections? Do you understand their country better than they do?

"If you label anyone who doesn't critisise the junta as you do as 'junta supporters" 98% of the Thai population may carry the same label."

A person who never criticizes the junta (correct me if I'm wrong) but continuously harp on about Thaksin this and Thaksin that shouldn't be offended by being labeled a junta supporter. And I very much doubt if 98% of the population in Thailand don't criticize the junta. Again, too bad there are no elections that can prove me wrong.

"Furthermore apart from some MEPs in Brussels the European population doesn't seem to discuss and critisise the junta."

And why should they? Most people in Europe don't give a rodent's behind what the junta does, just as they don't go around criticizing North Korea and other friends of Thailand. You, OTOH, participate in a forum about Thailand so the comparison you make is laughable.

Yes, those pesky elections - wrong people being elected all the time! Although spending more than two decades here I am of course reasoning from a Western background - I was brought up there. Were you, perhaps, brought up in the East? Or are you claiming that those who call for elections don't understand Thailand? What about all the Thais that want elections? Do you understand their country better than they do?

OTOH a person that never offers criticism of an electoral system that regularly allowed a criminal billionaire to buy his way to power, and even more illegal gains, but harps on and on about the junta trying to prevent that happening, shouldn't be offended when called a Thaksin sycophant.

And I would be surprised if 98% of the population didn't criticise any government. But they aren't concerned enough to take to the streets as they did against the corrupt Thaksin governments, even though they were more likely to suffer violence from Thaksin's mercenary thugs then from the RTA.

Doubt these people will be "happy" until the per diem payments for rioting, shooting, bombing and arson are resumed.

Life must be so boring ! smile.png

Comical really, if it wasn't so tragic.

Do people *really* think this? Seriously?

Wow.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Doubt these people will be "happy" until the per diem payments for rioting, shooting, bombing and arson are resumed.

Wow.

W

You obviously missed the "fun" paid for rioters from the NE had in Bangkok.

Here is a small reminder for those with short memories.

Wow.

W

How many people have been convicted for this? Are you sure that rumours of the fire being set in order to claim the insurance on what was a sub-par mall?

Of course, you are free to believe whatever you feel you ought to believe. For whatever reason.

And I didn't miss 'the fun', I was there for at least a part of it, and it was disgraceful what the army did, just shameful. Thank you Mr Prayuth.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Wow.

W

How many people have been convicted for this? Are you sure that rumours of the fire being set in order to claim the insurance on what was a sub-par mall?

Of course, you are free to believe whatever you feel you ought to believe. For whatever reason.

And I didn't miss 'the fun', I was there for at least a part of it, and it was disgraceful what the army did, just shameful. Thank you Mr Prayuth.

W

Was is done for the "insurance" ?

Winniedapu

The bought and paid for NE perpetrators who committed this atrocity were caught and jailed for life.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/thailand-political-violence-leaves-3-children-dead/

Remember ?

No I don't. Got a link to the court decision?

Not that I don't believe you. but - trust but verify.

W

Link PM'd to you.

Not allowed to post from the source on TVF.

OTOH a person that never offers criticism of an electoral system that regularly allowed a criminal billionaire to buy his way to power, and even more illegal gains, but harps on and on about the junta trying to prevent that happening, shouldn't be offended when called a Thaksin sycophant.

And I would be surprised if 98% of the population didn't criticise any government. But they aren't concerned enough to take to the streets as they did against the corrupt Thaksin governments, even though they were more likely to suffer violence from Thaksin's mercenary thugs then from the RTA.

More diversions. Must be tough to have to revert to that so frequently. If you had paid ANY attention you would have known how critical I've been of the Shin administrations. You, OTOH, have (and correct me if I'm wrong) never been critical of the junta. And how could you given that you have stated that you don't care who is in power as long as it's not Thaksin

I will repeat:

Were you, perhaps, brought up in the East? Or are you claiming that those who call for elections don't understand Thailand? What about all the Thais that want elections? Do you understand their country better than they do?

More diversions. Must be tough to have to revert to that so frequently. If you had paid ANY attention you would have known how critical I've been of the Shin administrations. You, OTOH, have (and correct me if I'm wrong) never been critical of the junta. And how could you given that you have stated that you don't care who is in power as long as it's not Thaksin

I will repeat:

Were you, perhaps, brought up in the East? Or are you claiming that those who call for elections don't understand Thailand? What about all the Thais that want elections? Do you understand their country better than they do?

This thread is now boring. I guess we'll see what we'll see over the next year.

W

"an electoral system that regularly allowed a criminal billionaire to buy his way to power"

Well, actually the last elected government won in an internationally monitored election that was declared legitimate. But we get your point, you think it's better to have a criminal military force its way into power.

"they aren't concerned enough to take to the streets as they did against the corrupt Thaksin governments"

Actually they did take to the streets in 2010, and were brutally crushed by the military. I think its easy to understand why they haven't taken to the streets under a military government. Not yet.

Winniedapu

The bought and paid for NE perpetrators who committed this atrocity were caught and jailed for life.

Remember ?

Ok, do you have any evidence linking the perpetrators to the PTP government? If it's from a source that isn't allowed here, you don't have to post a link, just give enough information to do an internet search.

Winniedapu

Remember ?

Ok, do you have any evidence linking the perpetrators to the PTP government? If it's from a source that isn't allowed here, you don't have to post a link, just give enough information to do an internet search.

The link provided gives information/clues enough to allow a search !

Who said anything about "government" ?

The "government" did not , as far as I am aware, pay the thugs who launched grenades etc but these thugs were not wearing yellow shirts !

Winniedapu

Remember ?

The "government" did not , as far as I am aware, pay the thugs who launched grenades etc but these thugs were not wearing yellow shirts !

This started with your comment "Doubt these people will be "happy" until the per diem payments for rioting, shooting, bombing and arson are resumed.", and you refer to them above as "bought and paid for NE perpetrators". You are certainly suggesting that there is a mastermind behind their actions.

So, do you have any evidence linking the perpetrators to anyone who might have bought and paid for them?

Winniedapu

Remember ?

This started with your comment "Doubt these people will be "happy" until the per diem payments for rioting, shooting, bombing and arson are resumed.", and you refer to them above as "bought and paid for NE perpetrators". You are certainly suggesting that there is a mastermind behind their actions.

So, do you have any evidence linking the perpetrators to anyone who might have bought and paid for them?

No !

Of course these "poor" people buy and pay for their own war weapons and pay for their own transport and their own subsistence.

How did they manage to do that with no financial assistance ?

Maybe they are not "poor" ?

No !

Of course these "poor" people buy and pay for their own war weapons and pay for their own transport and their own subsistence.

How did they manage to do that with no financial assistance ?

Maybe they are not "poor" ?

I see, you are hinting that the Thai military supplied these "war weapons". That would make sense, Suthep clearly hoped to provoke violence and justify a military coup, and he was having limited success. Perhaps the military chose to provide a little assistance to justify its coup.

It's a conjecture that makes as much sense and has as much (little) evidence to support it as many others I've read here.

I live in the NE and the only difference I can see between the pre and post military takeover is the crackdown on gambling such as hi-low and Bok. Otherwise nothing has changed. I would like to see the reasons why the people are not happy.

having their red shirt leaders nullified, no more red shirt favouratism for them and their red brothers from the ptp, having to comply with the laws like everyone else, just a guess of course.......whistling.gif

I'm glad you brought up the issue of regional favouritism - from the World Bank report 2012 - http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2012/05/10/thailand-public-finance-management-review-report

'Currently, 72 % of Thailand's general public expenditures are being spent in Bangkok, which is home to 17% of the country’s population and produces 26% of the GDP. In contrast, the Northeast, which holds 34 % of the country's population, receives 6% of the expenditures.'

I'm sure that'll make some people happy.

Edited by chrisrazz

I will repeat:

What about all those foreign posters who keep on telling us "let's have an election" as if that would solve what some see as fundamental problems in Thai society and it's flimsy democracy as it was?

So, the NE not happy, at least not as happy as when the government spent lots of money on them without any thought for structure and future and with some UDD leaders turned politicians encouraging them to be happy. The previous government paid 870 billion Baht directly to rice farmers according to a Pheu Thai statement. Did that help the country, or more specific the NE? Any new infra structure build with that 870 billion Baht? New industries setup? Rice farmers still poor, no wonder they're not happy.

I live in the NE and the only difference I can see between the pre and post military takeover is the crackdown on gambling such as hi-low and Bok. Otherwise nothing has changed. I would like to see the reasons why the people are not happy.

having their red shirt leaders nullified, no more red shirt favouratism for them and their red brothers from the ptp, having to comply with the laws like everyone else, just a guess of course.......whistling.gif

I'm glad you brought up the issue of regional favouritism - from the World Bank report 2012 - http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2012/05/10/thailand-public-finance-management-review-report

'Currently, 72 % of Thailand's general public expenditures are being spent in Bangkok, which is home to 17% of the country’s population and produces 26% of the GDP. In contrast, the Northeast, which holds 34 % of the country's population, receives 6% of the expenditures.'

I'm sure that'll make some people happy.

The previous government tried to rectify that by paying 870 billion Baht directly to rice farmers. Mind you, none ended up as still visible infra structure or industry. Money gone, NE unhappy.

I will repeat:

What about all those foreign posters who keep on telling us "let's have an election" as if that would solve what some see as fundamental problems in Thai society and it's flimsy democracy as it was?

So, the NE not happy, at least not as happy as when the government spent lots of money on them without any thought for structure and future and with some UDD leaders turned politicians encouraging them to be happy. The previous government paid 870 billion Baht directly to rice farmers according to a Pheu Thai statement. Did that help the country, or more specific the NE? Any new infra structure build with that 870 billion Baht? New industries setup? Rice farmers still poor, no wonder they're not happy.

" What about all those foreign posters who keep on telling us "let's have an election" as if that would solve what some see as fundamental problems in Thai society and it's flimsy democracy as it was?"

The most fundamental problem Thailand has is an elite that won't relinquish power seemingly at any price.

Left alone Thai democracy migh evolve and improve. With the constant interference of the old elite this will be impossible.

Or maybe you can point to a coup that solved any problems at all?

While you're at it why don't you explain why this time around things will be different (not holding my breath)?

I will repeat:

" What about all those foreign posters who keep on telling us "let's have an election" as if that would solve what some see as fundamental problems in Thai society and it's flimsy democracy as it was?"

The most fundamental problem Thailand has is an elite that won't relinquish power seemingly at any price.

Left alone Thai democracy migh evolve and improve. With the constant interference of the old elite this will be impossible.

While you're at it why don't you explain why this time around things will be different (not holding my breath)?

No, nothing? How utterly surprising!!

I will repeat:

Still the same off topic question. Get's a bit boring, MZurf.

Just as boring as ignoring the lack of infrastructure to the NE which hampers further broadening of industrial activity and economy. The current government decided to put less emphasise on the Bangkok - ChiangMai link but concentrate more on the Bangkok - NongKhai link. With pre-financing by the Chinese having been ruled out the government goes it alone (finance wise that is) and decided to start with the Bangkok - Nakhon Ratchachima part. As I've been told Bangkok is Central Region and following the same reasoning that makes Nakhon Ratchachima the NorthEast. All will be happy now.

Edited by rubl