Social Media Accuses Pattaya Orange Juice Vendor of Adding Tap Water

rooster59

I've never tried that orange juice in Pattaya, but I've bought juice that looks exactly the same in Bangkok and Samut Prakarn. It never tastes very good and adding extra water is the last thing I'd be worried about them doing.

The first place I tried freshly squeezed orange juice was actually in China, they have vending machines in malls that squeeze five oranges to order for the equivalent of around 80 baht. Whatever goes into the Thai orange juice, I suspect very little is actually orange juice.

I watched a documentary about it and actually all of the top brands like Tropicana you buy in supermarkets are far from fresh. The juice is stored for up to one year and becomes completely tasteless, the companies have to add back the flavor with various flavorings. In the case of the Thai orange, I suspect everything from the color to the flavor are artificial.

Given the quality of work I've seen in Thailand over the past 30 years, I would never drink tap water anywhere in Thailand. I either buy Volvic bottled water ... yes, expensive, but very pure ... or make my own with a machine that condenses the moisture in the air and run it through UV light and charcoal filters.

Actually for daily consumption I don't trust any tap water anywhere.

Actually for daily consumption I don't trust any tap water anywhere.

Be careful, the sky may fall in one day smile.png

Years ago I had one (NO -- not that specific vendor, a vendor in Bangkok) and got quite ill.

I figured it was the water in the juice.

Much more likely that if the juice was to blame that the source of the juice or the cleanliness off whoever bottled it was the problem, not the water. Thailand's tap water is drinkable.

Try this, with a damp white cloth clean a few oranges from anywhere. It can pretty much be guaranteed that the cloth will show all kinds of dirt and who knows what is lurking in that dirt? That muck gets transferred into the bottles with the juice as it is very unlikely that any vendors clean their fruit before juicing it.

I often see food vendors taking a piss at the side of the road, they do not wash their hands, I have also seen where some of these food vendors prepare their food and it is far from hygienic

Indeed, and it's guaranteed that they wash their hands thoroughly after doing a poop as well. rolleyes.gif
It all adds to the flavour :-)

Just think about this:

In Thai they use "nam som" for either 100% orange juice, orange fanta (or other similar soda) and orange splash (concentrated orange drink that youmix with water).

I'm thinking about it, it means orange water....... your point?

Tap water in Pattaya is just fine. I've been cooking with it and making my coffee/tea for years. At the same time, I would never consume anything like this juice cuz the bottler may or may NOT wash his hands after, um, you know, laying cable.

So then, you're 100% sure there's no toxins ... even small amounts ... such as lead and other heavy metals? Or any other toxins? And do you know than even small amounts of common toxic substances found in many tap waters can be toxic with long-range consumption?

Probably no more dangerous than breathing in the pollution from all the tourist buses getting around 55

I live in Bang Saray 25 kms from Pattaya. My tap water comes via East Water. My tank is drained & cleaned regularly. Holding a sample up to light convinces me to NEVER even use it to make coffee let alone put it in orange juice.

I always buy a 20 baht orange juice bottle from the nice lady street vendor next to Friendship, its always been fresh juice. Same in Jomtien , I do not believe this happens a lot.

My understanding is that Tap Water (at source) is 'safe', as in fit for human consumption. It may contain bacteria that some people (especially visitors) are not accustomed to and that could cause a problem, but that bacteria (other than being different) is not bad in itself and one adjusts to after time.

In addition to this, there is of course the issue of the delivery system which could contaminate the water. So water from ones tap may be different from someone down the block.

Personally, I buy bottled water. It's cheap enough, and I do notice the taste difference (even amongst different bottle brands). If one is hyper-sensitive to alien bacteria, one may wish to stick with bottled water.

On a separate note, watering down drinks.... be it orange juice or whiskey, is an age old tradition :) Hope it doesn't backlash against the legitimate OJ sellers.

Newsflash: Never ever expect a Pattaya vendor to sell you fresh orange juice for 20 baht. It will have a sugar solution added.

If you want it fresh, make them create a separate batch just for you and expect the price to rise to between 30 & 40 baht for a small bottle.

Rather than to deal with their nonsense, I buy my own oranges. I have one of these;

post-25153-0-43116000-1464203599_thumb.j