What is your preferred travel route from Blighty......

Nasrullah

I only fly direct. Why spend more time in airports than you have to?

Fine, but not everyone lives near London. For example Manchester does not offer direct, but does offer the option of avoiding London.

I pretty much go with best price but only major carriers,ie avoiding anything horrible,

Have been going via the Middle East for some time, mostly Etihad and some Qatar, fine airlines.

I have tried the long haul via Europe, Amsterdam for a while with KLM and even China Airlines, my last trip via Helsinki, pluses and minuses for both methods.

Still waiting on a non-stop from Manchester.

Isn't that why they built the M6?

The M6 actually isn't all that close to Manchester.

I would need to use the M61, M60 then M62 to the M6, none of which is a pleasant drive, fraught with congestion and road works before we even get anywhere near to London. And can I park at your house?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. But there is a limit. I compare prices using a spreadsheet and adding a penalty cost of £(40+10xh) where h is the number of hours of layover to any indirect flight. Extra penalties added to airlines I don't like.

It's the joy of being an ex accountant - every little decision can be reduced to a spreadsheet and algorithm!

And the answer is usually British airways these days. Used to be one of the three big Arabs but their short layover routes are now overpriced compared to 3 years ago.

I would regard this as not only price value,but safety value as well.BA pilots are probably the best trained pilots in the world.....

If you're under 6ft, BA economy is OK.

If you're over 6ft, unless you can get premium economy for the price of the other airline's economy, you're better off looking elsewhere if you want to be able to walk when you get off the plane.

(As a general rule - avoid flying economy on airlines with a premium economy. In order to get people to pay extra for a seat that still doesn't give you lounge access, they have to make economy truly awful.)

(Note: I've done LHR-BKK on Thai, KLM, Emirates, Qatar, Qantas (no longer an option) and BA.

I used to love the BA codeshare with Qantas, as you could often get the BA price for the seat with better legroom on Qantas...

For me flying direct is not an option, to get to Heathrow would be a minimum of 2 train journeys, 6/7 hours, it means going into London then out to Heathrow, this puts a quite few pounds on the travel cost as well, train travel isn't cheap in the UK, getting a train to coincide with the flight isn't always easy, any break downs and your f*****.

In general I keep my stopovers to 2/3 hours taking into account going through security, changing terminals(Dubai) the time I have to wait is around is reduced to less than 2 hours.

at the end of June i am flying from BKK to cologne on Eurowings. 7000 baht

its the budget subsidury of Lufthansa so i trust em for safety and maintainence. unless the pilot gets depressed and flys into a moutain, buts thats not gonna happen twice is it

better than hanging around in doha etc. for hours and hours

from cologne its a ryanair or a bus to london, or maybe a train

I assume you live near London? If I'm going to Scotland for a holiday, flying direct is NOT an option so I, and I am sure many others, have no choice but to change planes somewhere.

I cannot sit cramped in economy class for any length of time as my knees are knackered so I look around for the best business class deal - generally based on price but also taking into account transit time. If I have access to a lounge, I can cope with a long (5 - 6 hours) transit time though I would be struggling with that otherwise.

In the last 11 years, I've flown with various airlines:

KLM (don't like them - flights frequently late with on my last flight with them barely time to grab a snack before I had to be at the gate for a connecting flight. Also, I don't like Schipol Airport.

Malaysian (via KL and Amsterdam). Malaysian were good but see above for KLM from Amsterdam

Lufthansa Long transit at Frankfurt but made bearable with lounge access

Emirates OK but business class return to Glasgow from Bangkok now £1000 more expensive than the other way round. What's going on here?

Etihad Flat bed so got a good sleep in both directions. Not so keen on the menu though. Return flight was less than half what some other airlines were charging plus only a 2 hour transit

Incidentally, a friend flew in from Edinburgh with Qatar. A return flight (economy class) from Bangkok to Edinburgh with Qatar is twice as expensive as from Edinburgh!

Alan

No, I live in Bangkok.

Trips back usually involve visiting various parts of the UK. But thankfully it's not a very big place!

On my next visit I'll be spending a few days in Edinburgh, Inverness and Fife so London is not an option for me. I therefore need airlines that fly into Edinburgh with reasonable transit times. The transit times at Heathrow are quite short considering I would have to go through Immigration with my wife unless I could take her though the UK line.

Alan

You nice folks on the UK are lucky to have nonstop airlines to BKK. We in America have none.Thai used to from LA. My home now is in Hawaii and Thai doesn't even fly there. So I take Korean air to Seoul with a 2 hour layover then to Honolulu. Korean is the best airline I have ever taken. Bar none. Flight attendants are attractive; sweet, kind, attentive and they wear nice uniforms. My round trip flight last month was as perfect as can be.

B.A or Emirates. B A direct,or 2 hours Dubai. I'm an avid reader,so time goes quickly.But i havent been home for a long time,so i dont know much about prices..Ive flown to The Philippines on several occasions over the years. so you could say i was a frequent flyer,but that never made me a good one.Even now i still get those nerves and feelings of regret on boarding a plane.

Emirates economy return 22,690 baht.

For me, the timings are reasonable. I quite like a change of plane near the middle of the journey as I get to stretch my legs. 1.5 hours stopover is just good for me.

The only thing with this journey is that you arrive at Heathrow and depart from Gatwick. For me that's not a problem, but for others it may be more inconvenient.

post-234880-0-47175500-1463981525_thumb.

Last time I've flown BA from CDG to BKK (through LHR obviously) I was feeling like I was back to 10 years ago. Old, worn-out 747 with stamp-size IFE screens. Terrible food. Long stopover in crowded and noisy LHR after circling 40mn over London due to congestion. Never again.

M-E companies offer the best deals by far, with very short stopovers in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha. Enough to stretch your legs but short enough not to get bored.

Brand new airplaines and excellent service. Emirates is my favorite these days due to the roomy, smooth and quiet A380s.

Etihad is good as well, their FF program is the one that allows for upgrades most easily IMO and Qatar probably needs to be considered again now that they have their new airport in Doha (the old one was quite a pain in the back).

And no, I wouldn't even consider AF or TG. Vastly overpriced and not comfortable aboard either of these.

Not a regular flyer to the UK, the one time I've done it was Emirates business through Dubai, A380's x 2. Going to try the EVA version just for grins on the this next trip later this year. Avoiding flying any airlines from countries where they have troops actively fighting in other countries for now. :-)

Flown with Emirates many times, never had problem, i fly from Birmingham to Dubai, to BKK etc. Will be going with Qatar Air in August, they are doing flights at £330.00, so giving them a try.

Also go with KLM via Amsterdam, they go direct from Schipol to BKK.

Tried Thai Air a couple of times originally, but then i have the added hassle of getting to Heathrow etc which is a pain.

I came back with Air India - ONCE !!! Not impressed, and no, they are not decked out in bright colours. People were complaining about service, staff ignoring calls etc. And they had changed flight times and departure gate etc at Mumbai, without notifying anyone. Will not be booking with them again.

Not a regular flyer to the UK, the one time I've done it was Emirates business through Dubai, A380's x 2. Going to try the EVA version just for grins on the this next trip later this year. Avoiding flying any airlines from countries where they have troops actively fighting in other countries for now. :-)

that leaves singapore airlines then!

On my next visit I'll be spending a few days in Edinburgh, Inverness and Fife so London is not an option for me. I therefore need airlines that fly into Edinburgh with reasonable transit times. The transit times at Heathrow are quite short considering I would have to go through Immigration with my wife unless I could take her though the UK line.

Alan

Etihad started flying into Edinburgh last year. My son has used them for this route and found the transit times to be just fine. I believe that Emirates also use Edinburgh as a UK destination.

I have flown Eva, BA, Etihad, Emirates and Thai Airways. As I live close to Heathrow flying direct is a no brainer. Home in less than ten minutes. For picking up I leave the house half an hour after the plane lands and I am still early.

Eva was ok. Clean. Newish aircraft. Food was fine. Medium price. Etihad was pretty good but not as good as Emirates. Language is a small problem. A stewardess was dishing out "sleepers" as she was walking up and down the aisle. I thought, oh, something to block out the light while I sleep. Turned out to be slippers!

If we are travelling together Emirates is the choice. Comfortable seats, new aircraft, decent food, good entertainment, internet and immaculately clean. For some reason she won’t sleep much when she is flying with me. Price is the best. Usually under £500.

If the GF is flying alone she is nervous about missing the connection in Dubai so flying direct is better. She can fall asleep in BKK and wake up at Heathrow. Not that she ever does and BA is her choice. Aircraft are not as good as Emirates but the food is fine. £600 ish.

On her last trip from BKK I paid the extra for her to fly Thai airways and she told me the food was terrible but she enjoyed nattering in Thai to fellow passengers. £500 one way! Rip off.

Flying has become an even bigger nightmare. With all the sh-- going on in the ME , I avoid all airlines from that area. Thai & Chinese/Taiwanese are too expensive . Turks , absolutely no way , Ruskies are brute flyers and a risk too . Never flown air India but Jetairways ( from India) was good until they stopped to my destination. So what is left ? The european airlines , from expensive ( finnair , norway ) to the very expensive others. Stopovers are a necessity for lower prices , but no way I ever want to go via Heathrow , Schiphol . My prefered travel route would be my own car , IF there was a safe highway from Thailand to europe !

Taiwanese expensive? I usually use EVA from Schipol sometimes China air

saw flights for next February With eva direct 545euro they are consistently the cheapest.

We fly Business and by flying from Amsterdam rather than London we save £500 each even when flying BA took us AMS/LHR/BKK. It actually costs us very little extra to fly from Cardiff to Amsterdam than take a train from Cardiff to Heathrow.

I travel to Europe twice a year, i travel economy because i can't afford

the cost, my last journey from Singapore to Frankfurt was on a Lufthansa

carrier, i was looking forward to the flight because the aircraft was a new

A380 double decker plane, brand new,, wow i thought, the previous year

i flew on the Emirates A380 AND IT WAS EXCELLENT so i was looking

forward to this flight, upon reaching my seat, it turned out to be the last

seat next to the toilet, a window seat, no way, i want an isle seat, it's ok

i'll just move as in Emirates, sorry all seats are occupied (i want to get off

right now) i thought, but i saw a free isle seat so i lunged and sat down.

As i tightened my seat belt and got comfortable, i felt something wasn't

quite right, i was trying to remember my Emirates flight, the plane takes

off and reaches cruising altitude and things settle down, then it hits me

that lightning bolt of reality, this interior was nothing like the Emirates

flight i remember, on that flight everything was brand new, it even had that

''new car smell'' yet on this flight the seats were old, the entertainment

screen was very old technology so i figured they (Lufthansa) had bought

a new plane but recycled old seats off another plane and installed them in

this aircraft, zo, vot vill i do? i'll never fly Lufthansa or any cheap carrier,

i'm constantly being lied to one way or another and flying coach for 15 hours

is not a laughing matter, there must be a better way.

post-141778-0-69686700-1464016124_thumb.

After numerous longhaul flights with different carriers i have come to the conclusion that the standard of the crew is more important than the standard of carrier. In particular i find Etihad to be very hit or miss ranging from excellent to poor.

british airways i take it?

I think it all depends on how long your staying in Thailand and length of stop

My first trip 12 years ago with friends was a 6 hour stop in doha airport and i said never again.

Since then i have always flown direct with Thai, EVA, and BA with EVA being my preferred choice by a country mile

Although that was before Thai airlines renewed their planes but are now too expensive

I was not impressed by BA at all in fact very disappointed

A friend went with Jet airways and was very impressed mainly due to the fact there were so many empty seats he could lie across the seats and go to sleep.

i would consider a non direct flight if my trip exceeded 3 months and the stop did not exceed 2 hours

......then it hits me

that lightning bolt of reality, this interior was nothing like the Emirates

flight i remember, on that flight everything was brand new, it even had that

''new car smell'' yet on this flight the seats were old, the entertainment

screen was very old technology so i figured they (Lufthansa) had bought

a new plane but recycled old seats off another plane and installed them in

this aircraft,.....

Lufthansa got its first A380 in May 2010, so maybe you were on that one?

BA is usually pretty cheap direct in my experience.

I booked a BA flight with Opodo back to the UK last year. BA cancelled the flight less than 24 hours before take off. Had to take both of them to court to get my money back.

Fine, but not everyone lives near London. For example Manchester does not offer direct, but does offer the option of avoiding London.

I pretty much go with best price but only major carriers,ie avoiding anything horrible,

Have been going via the Middle East for some time, mostly Etihad and some Qatar, fine airlines.

I have tried the long haul via Europe, Amsterdam for a while with KLM and even China Airlines, my last trip via Helsinki, pluses and minuses for both methods.

Coming from Sheffield I was in the same boat for a long time, did the China airlines many times and thought that was ok. I have covered most of the combinations and now try and get a direct even if it means Heathrow.

I would never do Qatar again, one time on the way back I was offloaded at Dhoa and ended up in Paris. Right fiasco there and got to Manchester 6 hours late and no luggage. They split up a couple, guy talking his gf to UK for the first time, she stayed on the original flight and had to wait at Manchester until he arrived from Paris.

I wrote to them but got no answer, so I wrote again, no letter of apology just a voucher in the envelope for $250.

Here is a special hint to those of you booked economy on a 380...don't tell anybody I told you.

Many airlines flying the 380 have a small economy section, usually about 10 rows or less tucked into the rear of the upper deck, usually marked somewhere around row 60 to 80 on seat charts. The seat charts often don't make it obvious it's upper deck.

Usually more leg room than lower deck and often 2-3-2 rather than 3-4-3. Also, far fewer other passengers to deal with walking up and down the aisle bumping you and no toilet line. Downside is rear of aircraft not good for people prone to motion sickness as plane movements are more pronounced, also a bit more engine noise though not that much on 380.

Frequent flyers are catching on to this so try to book the seat asap as they go quickly now.

Coming from Sheffield I was in the same boat for a long time, did the China airlines many times and thought that was ok. I have covered most of the combinations and now try and get a direct even if it means Heathrow.

I would never do Qatar again, one time on the way back I was offloaded at Dhoa and ended up in Paris. Right fiasco there and got to Manchester 6 hours late and no luggage. They split up a couple, guy talking his gf to UK for the first time, she stayed on the original flight and had to wait at Manchester until he arrived from Paris.

I wrote to them but got no answer, so I wrote again, no letter of apology just a voucher in the envelope for $250.

Very strange.

Of course I would expect to change planes in Doha, but why did they put some people on Paris bound flights?

I would have flatly refused to be split from my girlfriend, having her arrive alone is not acceptable.

Can say I never had this situation flying via the ME, although I look closely at the booking and make sure it is all operated by the major carrier and no funny legs involving Delhi or Jet Air,

I have flown with several airlines, Emirates, Etihad,EVA, Thai Airways, Finn Air, Qatar airways and Jet.

Jet is an Indian airline, I would not fly with them again as the experience wasn't great.

To fly non stop is ok, but that requires quite a journey for me to a suitable airport.

I can get a train to Manchester, journey time a little over an hour, right to the airport.

My last 6 trips have been with Emirates, they are very good and the stop in Dubai can be quite short if you

book with care. I also sometime mix up the journey and travel business.

A return economy fare from Manchester with Emirates around now, booking direct with the airline is a little

over £500.

Used to use Thai years ago, then Eva, and the last few years BA, purely based on price. They were the best deal available, otherwise I would stick with EVA.

I tried the stop over in the middle East but found it a hassle and prefer direct where possible.

Used to use Thai years ago, then Eva, and the last few years BA, purely based on price. They were the best deal available, otherwise I would stick with EVA.

I tried the stop over in the middle East but found it a hassle and prefer direct where possible.

Same with me. EVA are less competitive these days, while BA has some good deals. The service is better on EVA but BA has better flight times. Both use 777s.

Archived