What is your preferred travel route from Blighty......

Nasrullah

I only fly direct. Why spend more time in airports than you have to?

Fine, but not everyone lives near London. For example Manchester does not offer direct, but does offer the option of avoiding London.

I pretty much go with best price but only major carriers,ie avoiding anything horrible,

Have been going via the Middle East for some time, mostly Etihad and some Qatar, fine airlines.

I have tried the long haul via Europe, Amsterdam for a while with KLM and even China Airlines, my last trip via Helsinki, pluses and minuses for both methods.

Still waiting on a non-stop from Manchester.

Coming from Sheffield I was in the same boat for a long time, did the China airlines many times and thought that was ok. I have covered most of the combinations and now try and get a direct even if it means Heathrow.

I would never do Qatar again, one time on the way back I was offloaded at Dhoa and ended up in Paris. Right fiasco there and got to Manchester 6 hours late and no luggage. They split up a couple, guy talking his gf to UK for the first time, she stayed on the original flight and had to wait at Manchester until he arrived from Paris.

I wrote to them but got no answer, so I wrote again, no letter of apology just a voucher in the envelope for $250.

Very strange.

Of course I would expect to change planes in Doha, but why did they put some people on Paris bound flights?

I would have flatly refused to be split from my girlfriend, having her arrive alone is not acceptable.

Can say I never had this situation flying via the ME, although I look closely at the booking and make sure it is all operated by the major carrier and no funny legs involving Delhi or Jet Air,

There was about 20 of us offloaded because the flight to Manchester was overbooked. I have been offloaded a few times and once they have issued the new boarding passes you are caught between a rock and a hard place, you either get on board or try and rebook yourself. We should only have been a couple of hours late but Qatar cocked things up in Paris which resulted in that flight to Manchester being delayed a few hours and the luggage being left behind.

Sometimes its a bonus, I was offloaded from a Gulf Air flight from BKK to LHR on to a Cathay Pacific to London via HK. Took off at the same time, landed at the same time but much better service.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my next visit I'll be spending a few days in Edinburgh, Inverness and Fife so London is not an option for me. I therefore need airlines that fly into Edinburgh with reasonable transit times. The transit times at Heathrow are quite short considering I would have to go through Immigration with my wife unless I could take her though the UK line.

Alan

Etihad started flying into Edinburgh last year. My son has used them for this route and found the transit times to be just fine. I believe that Emirates also use Edinburgh as a UK destination.

I flew with Etihad last year to and from Edinburgh and if my wife gets a visa shall probably use them again next year. The only downside is that the flight arrives in Edinburgh at 7.00 am. The return flight leaves Edinburgh at 8.40 am so that means I have to stay in a hotel the night before. However, that isn't an issue as I'll be staying there for a few days to meet up with various friends and family members.

Emirates fly into Glasgow, which is fine if I'm staying in Edinburgh but it's not so convenient if I'm staying with my brother who lives near St. Andrews in Fife.

BA prices are quite competitive but the transit times at Heathrow are quite short as we would have to go through Immigration first and through Security again.

Alan

""There was about 20 of us offloaded because the flight to Manchester was overbooked.""

Did they compensate you for rescheduling due to overbooking? Coupons for free flights or discounts?

I always used to keep my ears open for gate agents asking for volunteers to take another flight...got some amazing deals at times.

One time, flying Boston to San Francisco, round-trip economy, I took a "bump" going both directions. Ended up getting 1st class both ways on the substituted flights along with more than $1200 worth of flight coupons good for a year. Not bad on a flight that originally cost $300

Fine, but not everyone lives near London. For example Manchester does not offer direct, but does offer the option of avoiding London.

I pretty much go with best price but only major carriers,ie avoiding anything horrible,

Have been going via the Middle East for some time, mostly Etihad and some Qatar, fine airlines.

I have tried the long haul via Europe, Amsterdam for a while with KLM and even China Airlines, my last trip via Helsinki, pluses and minuses for both methods.

Still waiting on a non-stop from Manchester.

Coming from Sheffield I was in the same boat for a long time, did the China airlines many times and thought that was ok. I have covered most of the combinations and now try and get a direct even if it means Heathrow.

I would never do Qatar again, one time on the way back I was offloaded at Dhoa and ended up in Paris. Right fiasco there and got to Manchester 6 hours late and no luggage. They split up a couple, guy talking his gf to UK for the first time, she stayed on the original flight and had to wait at Manchester until he arrived from Paris.

I wrote to them but got no answer, so I wrote again, no letter of apology just a voucher in the envelope for $250.

Very strange.

Of course I would expect to change planes in Doha, but why did they put some people on Paris bound flights?

I would have flatly refused to be split from my girlfriend, having her arrive alone is not acceptable.

Can say I never had this situation flying via the ME, although I look closely at the booking and make sure it is all operated by the major carrier and no funny legs involving Delhi or Jet Air,

There was about 20 of us offloaded because the flight to Manchester was overbooked. I have been offloaded a few times and once they have issued the new boarding passes you are caught between a rock and a hard place, you either get on board or try and rebook yourself. We should only have been a couple of hours late but Qatar cocked things up in Paris which resulted in that flight to Manchester being delayed a few hours and the luggage being left behind.

Sometimes its a bonus, I was offloaded from a Gulf Air flight from BKK to LHR on to a Cathay Pacific to London via HK. Took off at the same time, landed at the same time but much better service.

You say 'offloaded' but surely you were not permitted to board the Manchester bound flight and the issue was at the Doha gate? I have been fortunate never to have suffered that, but I must confess to using Biz Class with Qatar which is very good, plus I guess they choose not to mess with you. I would have thought your situation would have qualified for some compensation. In Europe, if you are denied boarding, you are entitled to 125-600 Euros.

I did once take compensation for an overbooked flight and accepted flying the next day, nice little earner. I have also looked at BA flights BKK-UK which go via HKG and still arrive about the same time, but usually, avoiding transfer at LHR wins, pre-terminal 5 days it was horrible and it has become instinctive.

Having been a Marco Polo club member with CX since 1991, I find it very important to fly with CX or a OneWorld partner. Living in China close to the HK border, I use HKIA as my travel hub. The last year, I have flown to LHR and back three times. Due to my age, I now look for a OneWorld airline with a reasonable price for business class travel (as well as frequent flyer mileage)

Malaysian fit the bill nicely, I use the Marco Polo club lounges in HKIA, The flight to KL is not a back breaker and the Malaysian lounge in KL is very good as is their lounge in LHR.

From KL to LHR and return they use the A380 which is a superb aircraft, very comfortable and quiet. The cabin crews are exceptional, polite, friendly and very caring. The menus and food aboard is brilliant and very well presented.

And as icing on the cake MH is less than half the price of CX

there have been a number of comment about flights into Manchester, I understand that CX now fly direct from HKIA to Manchester.

Here is a special hint to those of you booked economy on a 380...don't tell anybody I told you.

Many airlines flying the 380 have a small economy section, usually about 10 rows or less tucked into the rear of the upper deck, usually marked somewhere around row 60 to 80 on seat charts. The seat charts often don't make it obvious it's upper deck.

Usually more leg room than lower deck and often 2-3-2 rather than 3-4-3. Also, far fewer other passengers to deal with walking up and down the aisle bumping you and no toilet line. Downside is rear of aircraft not good for people prone to motion sickness as plane movements are more pronounced, also a bit more engine noise though not that much on 380.

Frequent flyers are catching on to this so try to book the seat asap as they go quickly now.

That was the case for the first time for me on a recent BKK-DBX flight with Emirates.

I think that only their newest A380s have this kind of setup. This one was only a few months old and I had never seen this on their older frames (there's still not that old). I presume that it fits the tourist destinations better.

I concur that it's very nice to fly up there for the reasons explained by Dddave.

Direct flight?. No thanks. Too much hassle.

First, the boredom. I don't sleep on a plane, so after watching a couple of films the boredom sets in. God I get bored. Time stands still, the plane seems to be hovering in the same position for hours on end. At the end of a direct flight I'm sure I have cabin fever, feel claustrophobic and can't wait to get out of that metal tube.

Then there's Heathrow. Try getting from Heathrow to The South Coast by public transport. It's a nightmare. You either have to drag your suitcases for what seems miles to get to the bus station to get the bus to Gatwick or you go into the city via train/tube to get to Victoria train station. Dragging big suitcases on the tube is no fun. What time you save going direct is offset by travel time in the UK, not to mention the the stress and hassle.

Then there's Emirates to Gatwick. My preferred option. Comfortable A380's, good IFE and relatively short stop-overs in Dubai. Get to Gatwick and it's a couple of minutes walk to the adjacent train station. So much more relaxing than going direct.

Direct flight?. No thanks. Too much hassle.

First, the boredom. I don't sleep on a plane, so after watching a couple of films the boredom sets in. God I get bored. Time stands still, the plane seems to be hovering in the same position for hours on end. At the end of a direct flight I'm sure I have cabin fever, feel claustrophobic and can't wait to get out of that metal tube.

Then there's Heathrow. Try getting from Heathrow to The South Coast by public transport. It's a nightmare. You either have to drag your suitcases for what seems miles to get to the bus station to get the bus to Gatwick or you go into the city via train/tube to get to Victoria train station. Dragging big suitcases on the tube is no fun. What time you save going direct is offset by travel time in the UK, not to mention the the stress and hassle.

Then there's Emirates to Gatwick. My preferred option. Comfortable A380's, good IFE and relatively short stop-overs in Dubai. Get to Gatwick and it's a couple of minutes walk to the adjacent train station. So much more relaxing than going direct.

I am lucky, pick a no hassle seat, have a few glasses of red and l sleep for a good 8 hours....tongue.png

Who said they're no advantages of being oldtongue.png

Very strange.

You say 'offloaded' but surely you were not permitted to board the Manchester bound flight and the issue was at the Doha gate? I have been fortunate never to have suffered that, but I must confess to using Biz Class with Qatar which is very good, plus I guess they choose not to mess with you. I would have thought your situation would have qualified for some compensation. In Europe, if you are denied boarding, you are entitled to 125-600 Euros.

I did once take compensation for an overbooked flight and accepted flying the next day, nice little earner. I have also looked at BA flights BKK-UK which go via HKG and still arrive about the same time, but usually, avoiding transfer at LHR wins, pre-terminal 5 days it was horrible and it has become instinctive.

It is not a simple as that. In this case we were called to the information desk where they asked for boarding card, a new boarding card was handed back and told we had been re-routed. Denial of boarding doesn't come into it and there is no compensation for re-routing as such. In other cases I have been offloaded and re-routed before even checking in. They just say no seats available and send you to another airline.

As I posted earlier I complained about the mismanagement in Paris and eventually got a voucher for $250, I suspect most of the others didn't bother.

Due to age and height I only go Business now and for the last 3 years have flown Finnair.

Very reasonable cost and it's not a long stopover. Looking forward to the new A350 this year.

However, being honest I would prefer a direct and have noticed EVA sales that come much closer in cost so this year have used up most of my points for a economy/upgraded to Business on Finnair and may go with EVA next.

I too am not a fan of the direct flight, unless it's flat bed, Business or First.

It's usually a better experience with the two shorter journeys. With some of the direct carriers, you no longer even receive an amenity kit and the IFE screens on BA flights are often pitifully small.

I just arrived on an impromptu trip with Gulf Air. You can currently pick up a ticket from London a day before the flight for less than £350. Service and food from London to Bahrain was excellent. Made the wrong choice of food from Bahrain to BKK. Excellent service from the ground staff.. and you get two full amenity kits. :) Sixty minute stopover on the way back.

I have another ticket booked with another of the highly rated middle east airlines, cost me £200 return. No, that isn't a typographical error.

Due to age and height I only go Business now and for the last 3 years have flown Finnair.

Very reasonable cost and it's not a long stopover. Looking forward to the new A350 this year.

However, being honest I would prefer a direct and have noticed EVA sales that come much closer in cost so this year have used up most of my points for a economy/upgraded to Business on Finnair and may go with EVA next.

Depending if you are flying one way or return , it can be cheaper to add another flight bon the ticket.

Example

I intended to fly with finnair business class from Manchester to Bkk one way , the cost was £1400

If you added an additional stop then the price came to £900, same dates ,aeroplane and time

The route booked was Man -Bkk , and the BKK to SGN 2 months later as a multi city

Starting a flight in the UK is expensive due to the additional tax imposed, you can usually find cheaper flight flying from another EU country , e.g. amsterdam, paris etc

Yesterday I could of booked Eva air London- Bangkok direct £433 return.i used Thai air for over 10 years but their prices have increased by approx 25% and they were nearly £300 more for the same flights.typical Thai thing.....have less customers,oh just put up the price.i can see Thai air running into difficulties in the future.usually I use netflights.com but this time I booked direct and as it goes I'm delayed in the uk and changed the flight to bkk for £25 which I wouldn't of been able to do with netflights.

I'm not a fan of direct flights either. I really appreciate the short stopover about middle-flight.

Being a bit claustrophobic doesn't make me stay comfortably over 10 hours in an aluminium tube.

And getting old doesn't mean falling (and staying) asleep more easily for all people, alas.

Cost is one issue though flying by a 380 makes for oh such better flight, flying in those old planes,, horrible.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know what you mean but for me they are too big, too impersonal, also boarding / exiting cumbersome. I guess i am just old fashioned. I suspect that the 380's maybe part of the reason longhaul flight prices are coming down, which is good news!

^^ sori mate I'll give you getting off can be a take a touch longer bUtd recently they've started to use other doors which makes it quicker and the other.is don't jump up the minute landed it don't make your luggage arrive any quicker .But 'too big to cumbersome' your in a plane for f sake it by design is gonna be that,, coming out of a smaller jet and feeling like crap and than coming out of a 380 feeling relatively fine, tbh couldn't work out why,, seats are better and a touch more leg room granted, but not enuf to make that much difference so i asked an attendant who Id been chatting to,via complimenting the 380 journey, he reckoned a huge part was that they pumped more oxygen into circulation in the 380's,

which putting that into the overall experience makes sence.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yesterday I could of booked Eva air London- Bangkok direct £433 return.i used Thai air for over 10 years but their prices have increased by approx 25% and they were nearly £300 more for the same flights.typical Thai thing.....have less customers,oh just put up the price.i can see Thai air running into difficulties in the future.usually I use netflights.com but this time I booked direct and as it goes I'm delayed in the uk and changed the flight to bkk for £25 which I wouldn't of been able to do with netflights.

I don't want to know that. I am going to the UK in a couple of weeks with EVA, booked the tickets nearly a year ago and was just under 60K baht for the two. That was booked direct with EVA.

I only fly direct. Why spend more time in airports than you have to?

It is not rocket science you will almost certainly save £100 or more

I'll happily pay £100 to avoid having to trudge round some airport in the middle of nowhere for a few hours.

I will gladly stop for a couple of hours and have a smoke and use the lounge. Many people don't mind to stop if it isn't for too long. I like to stretch my legs. If coming from Europe I guess I don't mind stopping in Dubai the lounge there is okay. Also I hate airline food, so it gives a chance to grab a bite to eat.

I recently did this......

Yes the A350 section to Helsinki is fine, but the security there was hectic and aggravating and initially understaffed. The flight on (for me to Manchester) was poor and made me think of a budget carrier.

I don't want to know that. I am going to the UK in a couple of weeks with EVA, booked the tickets nearly a year ago and was just under 60K baht for the two. That was booked direct with EVA.

It's always significantly more expensive flying from BKK. 30,000 is still about right for a direct flight. I just paid 61,000 for me, the missus and an infant on BA. EVA was a little more and Thai much more.

Depending if you are flying one way or return , it can be cheaper to add another flight bon the ticket.

Example

I intended to fly with finnair business class from Manchester to Bkk one way , the cost was £1400

If you added an additional stop then the price came to £900, same dates ,aeroplane and time

The route booked was Man -Bkk , and the BKK to SGN 2 months later as a multi city

Starting a flight in the UK is expensive due to the additional tax imposed, you can usually find cheaper flight flying from another EU country , e.g. amsterdam, paris etc

Here is an example for anyone wanting to fly to the UK next month.

If 21000 baht is too rich for your blood, get it for 20000 here

Note the main flight is Business Class on an MH A380 and for most intents and purposes it is a one way flight.

Sample dates:

2nd-9th Jun

4th-11th Jun

5th-12th Jun

6th-13th Jun

7th-14th Jun

8th-15th Jun

9th-16th Jun

10th-17th Jun

11th-18th Jun

12th-19th Jun

13th-20th Jun

15th-22nd Jun

20th-27th Jun

21st-28th Jun

22nd-29th Jun

26th Jun 3rd Jul

27th Jun 4th Jul

28th Jun 5th Jul

post-25153-0-09959700-1464242171_thumb.p

post-25153-0-29137200-1464242183_thumb.p

Example

Note the main flight is Business Class on an MH A380.

Flights on Malaysian have been cheap for a while...

Example

That's a bit of a silly comment....

anyone still keen to fly Malaysian Airlines after the recent episodes-followed by the awful press release aftermath?.....

I did, to Australia and am here to tell the tale. Perhaps best for you that you don't look at airline incident reports or you'd never fly again

Example

That's a bit of a silly comment....

I don't see why. They are currently offering about the cheapest non-direct flights to Europe from BKK and have been doing so for a while.

Archived