What is your preferred travel route from Blighty......

Nasrullah

It's always significantly more expensive flying from BKK. (...)

I'd be glad to discuss the reasons for this.

It hasn't been always this way, I recall that in the early 90s it was the other way around (on my CDG-BKK route at least)

I've discussed this with various people and we never found any very convincing reason.

Re. Jiu-Jistu's post: holy cow, 36 hours for a trip from Phuket to London? I'd rather fly direct or with a short stopover in economy. Must be a very, very long stopover.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It hasn't been always this way, I recall that in the early 90s it was the other way around (on my CDG-BKK route at least)

I've discussed this with various people and we never found any very convincing reason.

Maybe the airlines picked up this phenomenon from the patt-bkk/.....bkk/patt ...taxi prices......Haha

Due to age and height I only go Business now and for the last 3 years have flown Finnair.

Very reasonable cost and it's not a long stopover. Looking forward to the new A350 this year.

However, being honest I would prefer a direct and have noticed EVA sales that come much closer in cost so this year have used up most of my points for a economy/upgraded to Business on Finnair and may go with EVA next.

Depending if you are flying one way or return , it can be cheaper to add another flight bon the ticket.

Example

I intended to fly with finnair business class from Manchester to Bkk one way , the cost was £1400

If you added an additional stop then the price came to £900, same dates ,aeroplane and time

The route booked was Man -Bkk , and the BKK to SGN 2 months later as a multi city

Starting a flight in the UK is expensive due to the additional tax imposed, you can usually find cheaper flight flying from another EU country , e.g. amsterdam, paris etc

Here is an example for anyone wanting to fly to the UK next month.

If 21000 baht is too rich for your blood, get it for 20000 here

Note the main flight is Business Class on an MH A380.

Flights on Malaysian have been cheap for a while...

That's a bit of a silly comment....

I don't see why. They are currently offering about the cheapest non-direct flights to Europe from BKK and have been doing so for a while.

Erm....no.

Perhaps you can come up with dates wherein MH is the cheapest.

post-25153-0-95380100-1464244977_thumb.j

Due to age and height I only go Business now and for the last 3 years have flown Finnair.

Very reasonable cost and it's not a long stopover. Looking forward to the new A350 this year.

However, being honest I would prefer a direct and have noticed EVA sales that come much closer in cost so this year have used up most of my points for a economy/upgraded to Business on Finnair and may go with EVA next.

Depending if you are flying one way or return , it can be cheaper to add another flight bon the ticket.

Example

I intended to fly with finnair business class from Manchester to Bkk one way , the cost was £1400

If you added an additional stop then the price came to £900, same dates ,aeroplane and time

The route booked was Man -Bkk , and the BKK to SGN 2 months later as a multi city

Starting a flight in the UK is expensive due to the additional tax imposed, you can usually find cheaper flight flying from another EU country , e.g. amsterdam, paris etc

I don't see why. They are currently offering about the cheapest non-direct flights to Europe from BKK and have been doing so for a while.

Erm....no.

Last time I looked they were, if you exclude Indian/Russian carriers which I did. Prices can fluctuate, but they remain among the cheapest options, and have been for a while.

Re. Jiu-Jistu's post: holy cow, 36 hours for a trip from Phuket to London? I'd rather fly direct or with a short stopover in economy. Must be a very, very long stopover.

Yes, a stopover in KL. Airport hotel for £30 and make a day of it in KL....or did you think to sit in the airport?

Of course if you are in a hurry, fly Economy or pay more for Business/Club. No skin off my back. Do you need someone to hold your hand all the way?

Seriously, I would sometimes fly indirect simply to add a city tour. So you can look at it as a day trip. If not your bag, economy is waiting.

Example

Erm....no.

Last time I looked they were, if you exclude Indian/Russian carriers which I did. Prices can fluctuate, but they remain among the cheapest options, and have been for a while.

My link showed EMIRATES, not an Indian or Russian carrier. Now please back up your statement that MH is the cheapest, even excluding Indian and Russian carriers.

It's easy to make throwaway comments, but not quite so easy to back them up with facts and figures.

anyone still keen to fly Malaysian Airlines after the recent episodes-followed by the awful press release aftermath?.....

When BA cancelled our flight to the UK last year they game up with a flight on Malaysian Airways but we had already booked ourselves on Gulf Air.

You could not pay my wife to go on MA.

anyone still keen to fly Malaysian Airlines after the recent episodes-followed by the awful press release aftermath?.....

When BA cancelled our flight to the UK last year they game up with a flight on Malaysian Airways but we had already booked ourselves on Gulf Air.

It's MH. smile.png

Example

Note the main flight is Business Class on an MH A380 and for most intents and purposes it is a one way flight.

Sample dates:

2nd-9th Jun

4th-11th Jun

5th-12th Jun

6th-13th Jun

7th-14th Jun

8th-15th Jun

9th-16th Jun

10th-17th Jun

11th-18th Jun

12th-19th Jun

13th-20th Jun

15th-22nd Jun

20th-27th Jun

21st-28th Jun

22nd-29th Jun

26th Jun 3rd Jul

27th Jun 4th Jul

28th Jun 5th Jul

36 hours from Phuket to London. May be cheap but you would be crazy to consider that.

Example

Erm....no.

My link showed EMIRATES, not an Indian or Russian carrier. Now please back up your statement that MH is the cheapest, even excluding Indian and Russian carriers.

It's easy to make throwaway comments, but not quite so easy to back them up with facts and figures.

Maybe you're not familiar with airline pricing, but prices can vary at different times. All I am saying is that when I was booking my flights to the UK for April and again in August, the cheapest I could find was MH (excluding Indian/Russian carriers). They were certainly cheaper than the ME airlines. This was also the case when I booked flights last year, also for April. I stand by my comment that they are currently a cheap option.

Example

Note the main flight is Business Class on an MH A380 and for most intents and purposes it is a one way flight.

Sample dates:

2nd-9th Jun

4th-11th Jun

5th-12th Jun

6th-13th Jun

7th-14th Jun

8th-15th Jun

9th-16th Jun

10th-17th Jun

11th-18th Jun

12th-19th Jun

13th-20th Jun

15th-22nd Jun

20th-27th Jun

21st-28th Jun

22nd-29th Jun

26th Jun 3rd Jul

27th Jun 4th Jul

28th Jun 5th Jul

36 hours from Phuket to London. May be cheap but you would be crazy to consider that.

Are these the 737-800 freighter

Edit

Indeed checking again the main flight is a389

Example

Sample dates:

2nd-9th Jun

4th-11th Jun

5th-12th Jun

6th-13th Jun

7th-14th Jun

8th-15th Jun

9th-16th Jun

10th-17th Jun

11th-18th Jun

12th-19th Jun

13th-20th Jun

15th-22nd Jun

20th-27th Jun

21st-28th Jun

22nd-29th Jun

26th Jun 3rd Jul

27th Jun 4th Jul

28th Jun 5th Jul

Are these the 737-800 freighter

Wow... ThaiVisa members have excelled themselves again. Short haul from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur. Spend the day in KL. Two days in the Business Class lounge. Continue the next day on a fully flat bed to London...for less around £400.

Example

Erm....no.

Maybe you're not familiar with airline pricing, but prices can vary at different times. All I am saying is that when I was booking my flights to the UK for April and again in August, the cheapest I could find was MH (excluding Indian/Russian carriers). They were certainly cheaper than the ME airlines. This was also the case when I booked flights last year, also for April. I stand by my comment that they are currently a cheap option.

Sorry, but I just see a load of blah, blah.

I certainly know a lot more about flight pricing than you do....and you have yet to show any evidence of MH being the cheapest to London. Only an anecdote of when you searched in the past.

Perhaps they lowered their prices at one point, but that actually concurs with your statement that airline prices can change.

You can't have it both ways. They are certainly not the cheapest now, so your original statement was nonsense. But yet you still try to defend it, even though current pricing indicates otherwise.

What might have been true is that they lowered prices at one point in order to encourage people to fly after the 777 incident.

So please, be a man and admit it when you are wrong.

Example

Sample dates:

2nd-9th Jun

4th-11th Jun

5th-12th Jun

6th-13th Jun

7th-14th Jun

8th-15th Jun

9th-16th Jun

10th-17th Jun

11th-18th Jun

12th-19th Jun

13th-20th Jun

15th-22nd Jun

20th-27th Jun

21st-28th Jun

22nd-29th Jun

26th Jun 3rd Jul

27th Jun 4th Jul

28th Jun 5th Jul

Not if you don't mind a day spent seeing KL. Why would you imagine that everyone is in a rush?? I would fly to KL, check into the Tune Hotel for £30 and spend the day in KL. Maybe pop over for a bite to eat in the Business Class lounge. Next day, showered and refreshed, over to the Business Class lounge for a while and then on to the A380 Business Class. I certainly wouldn't feel crazy. I'd be relaxed and happy. Certainly more so than being cramped up in an economy seat for 12 to 13 hours.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. I like to take my time and to enjoy my experiences. It's a good deal for whomsoever it fits. Hey...one might even find a use for the Manila to Phuket section. smile.png

Example

Erm....no.

I certainly know a lot more about flight pricing than you do....and you have yet to show any evidence of MH being the cheapest to London. Only an anecdote of when you searched in the past.

Perhaps they lowered their prices at one point, but that actually concurs with your statement that airline prices can change.

You can't have it both ways. They are certainly not the cheapest now, so your original statement was nonsense. But yet you still try to defend it, even though current pricing indicates otherwise.

What might have been true is that they lowered prices at one point in order to encourage people to fly after the 777 incident.

My original comment said they were "cheap", which they are. I suggest you relax a little and stop taking the thread off course.

Example

Erm....no.

My original comment said they were "cheap", which they are. I suggest you relax a little and stop taking the thread off course.

So show us some examples of them being cheap, instead of posting useless comments. You've gone from them being the cheapest, to the cheapest other than Indian/Russian, to one of the cheapest and now to them just being cheap. You are all over the shop.

My posts are on topic, continuing on from another poster's suggestion that cheaper flights can be found by using a 'combo'.

Whereas your posts have been in defence of some nonsense statement that you made, regarding which you have no actual evidence. I'm on holiday and relaxed, but this is a chat forum, So you might just get pulled up on your comments.

So perhaps you should just give it a rest if you have nothing useful to add.

i'd rather hijack a moored boat from a bunch of asylum seekers off perth AUS and make my own way.....maybe pay a good 'skipper'.....LOL....

It's MH. smile.png

Maybe where you come from but in the real world the initials for Malaysian Airlines would be MA.

It's MH. smile.png

Maybe where you come from but in the real world the initials for Malaysian Airlines would be MA.

Your parents must be really disappointed after the US$10 they spent on your education went to waste.

i'd rather hijack a moored boat from a bunch of asylum seekers off perth AUS and make my own way.....maybe pay a good 'skipper'.....LOL....

Actually I flew with them to Perth from KL. No issues. You're a brave soul aren't you? wink.png

Actually I flew with them to Perth from KL. No issues. You're a brave soul aren't you? wink.png

c'mon .....don't become one of those' know all's who lose their sense of humour.........i did say LOL......maybe haha ha?

your surely not going to agree that pilots from all the various airlines are trained to the same standard.

c'mon .....don't become one of those' know all's who lose their sense of humour.........i did say LOL......maybe haha ha?

your surely not going to agree that pilots from all the various airlines are trained to the same standard.

Sense of humour failure is endemic on ThaiVisa and this thread is no exception!

It's MH. smile.png

Your parents must be really disappointed after the US$10 they spent on your education went to waste.

US$?, explains a lot.

Actually Malaysian is currently by far the cheapest business class carrier on BKK/LHR/BKK at just over £1100 and has been for several weeks. I think I was the first to post about it here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/527870-airline-information-and-flight-deals-for-expats/page-4#entry10720878 on May 7.

They still have good availability in June but the prices go to right up in July.

post-182914-0-03247900-1464318220_thumb.

Not only are they cheapest for BKK/LHR/BKK but they are currently offering HKT(Phuket)/LHR/HKT in June for just £751 via agencies (I haven't checked their own site for prices but they may be the same). This is business class on all 4 sectors and minimal stopover delays (if you choose the right flights).

post-182914-0-06515800-1464318221_thumb.

Thanks for posting that Kittenkong......At those prices i'm sure the MA(MH)group are still in damage control trying to restore confidence!........

I normally go thru agencies.....do you think prices for direct/stopover flights are any better thru the airlines website?....

I normally go thru agencies.....do you think prices for direct/stopover flights are any better thru the airlines website?....

These appear to be official prices rather than special offers, so they should be more or less the same on the airline's own site and with agencies.

I got a ticket (not Malaysian) in a -30% sale earlier this year, but the discount was only available directly from the airline.

I find it pays to check several online agencies and the airline before purchasing anything.

Thanks for posting that Kittenkong......At those prices i'm sure the MA(MH)group are still in damage control trying to restore confidence!........

Despite their troubles it wouldn't stop me flying with them as their prices are very competitive. I just prefer to fly direct. BA and EVA are easy to book via their websites and tend to be competitive with agencies.

^^ 4 me makes emirates .heathrow dubia Bangkok and return all on 380's between 13-14 hrs at 470 sterling look cheap

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Archived