What is your preferred travel route from Blighty......

Nasrullah

With the emergence of budget airlines and others,do you have a particular route you like to take to thailand.

Now with so much choice,it's never been easier to tailor a journey as now.Many things go into our decision,such as:

1...Cost

2....time and cost

3....safety of an airline

4....service provided from an airline

5....stopover/layover time(maybe a chance to do a few things in stop-over country)

6...night time travel may suit some people

7....maybe you cannot sit on a plane too long for health reasons

8....superstition perhaps!

Maybe you'd like to add what was the cheapest fare you've had in the last 3 years(keep it to 3 years though-more relevant)

Ps;.....anyone flown Air India!....Is it true the cabin is enriched with the traditional bright colors(reds,yellows,orange) of indian culture....

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only fly direct. Why spend more time in airports than you have to?

british airways i take it?

Thai Airways and Eva Air also fly direct.

Have flown both BA and Eva Air, but not in past three years. Used BA for company paid flights as these were in Business class - very expensive, Have tended to use Eva, both Business and Premium, when at my cost and have found the service to be excellent although the food tends to be rather lacking in variety.

Majority of times I have used Etihad - no problem with the midway plane change. Business class in the main and very competitive in both pricing and service. Being a member of their FF club is a definite plus with some unexpected upgrades given when booked in the rear.

OP, have flown Air India a number of times and my main memory is not of the traditional bright colours but the, perhaps, more traditional aromassmile.png

Flying has become an even bigger nightmare. With all the sh-- going on in the ME , I avoid all airlines from that area. Thai & Chinese/Taiwanese are too expensive . Turks , absolutely no way , Ruskies are brute flyers and a risk too . Never flown air India but Jetairways ( from India) was good until they stopped to my destination. So what is left ? The european airlines , from expensive ( finnair , norway ) to the very expensive others. Stopovers are a necessity for lower prices , but no way I ever want to go via Heathrow , Schiphol . My prefered travel route would be my own car , IF there was a safe highway from Thailand to europe !

Generally i will take the cheapest as long as the transit wait is not too long. It breaks up a long flight.

If you are resident in Chiang Mai the London /Hong Kong (Cathay) and Hong Kong / Chiang Mai (Dragon Air) is good if the flight prices are reasonable.

If you really want budget and maybe see another city at the same time, try a multi destination search with a 1 or more night stopover on route. To my surprise this can knock a lot of the fare.

As an example recently booked Turkish Air return from London to Manila via Istanbul and by staying 1 or more nights in Istanbul it knocked £80 sterling off the fare. Return journey was just the normal few hours transit. The same was true of a Manchester / Istanbul / Bangkok fare (only £315) if staying a night or more in Istanbul in one direction. China Eastern (via Shanghai) similarly do better deals with a stopover.

My last return trip Lon / BKK was £365 with China Southern with a 2 to 3 hour transit each way in Guangzhou.

My Turkish Airways LON / IST / MNL return fare (normally Manila is dearer than bangkok) with a stopover on way out in Istanbul was £362. Both in the last 3 months.

Agreed. But there is a limit. I compare prices using a spreadsheet and adding a penalty cost of £(40+10xh) where h is the number of hours of layover to any indirect flight. Extra penalties added to airlines I don't like.

It's the joy of being an ex accountant - every little decision can be reduced to a spreadsheet and algorithm!

And the answer is usually British airways these days. Used to be one of the three big Arabs but their short layover routes are now overpriced compared to 3 years ago.

british airways i take it?

Thai Airways and Eva Air also fly direct.

Have flown both BA and Eva Air, but not in past three years. Used BA for company paid flights as these were in Business class - very expensive, Have tended to use Eva, both Business and Premium, when at my cost and have found the service to be excellent although the food tends to be rather lacking in variety.

Majority of times I have used Etihad - no problem with the midway plane change. Business class in the main and very competitive in both pricing and service. Being a member of their FF club is a definite plus with some unexpected upgrades given when booked in the rear.

OP, have flown Air India a number of times and my main memory is not of the traditional bright colours but the, perhaps, more traditional aromassmile.png

OMG.......are you saying,what i think you're sayinghuh.png

Agreed. But there is a limit. I compare prices using a spreadsheet and adding a penalty cost of £(40+10xh) where h is the number of hours of layover to any indirect flight. Extra penalties added to airlines I don't like.

It's the joy of being an ex accountant - every little decision can be reduced to a spreadsheet and algorithm!

And the answer is usually British airways these days. Used to be one of the three big Arabs but their short layover routes are now overpriced compared to 3 years ago.

I would regard this as not only price value,but safety value as well.BA pilots are probably the best trained pilots in the world.....

Your destination in UK is another consideration. I need to fly to MANchester for which there is no direct flight. I have used Etihad but they support Man City & I'm a Utd fan; via Dubai from BKK means usually 2 or 3 am take-off which is tedious. Eventually I discovered KLM via Amsterdam leaving BKK at just after noon was more civilised but the layover was nearly 4 hours. BA via Heathrow is better with a shorter layover. I'd be interested in other suggested routes to MAN which are cheaper/shorter/more convenient.

It is not rocket science you will almost certainly save £100 or more

I'll happily pay £100 to avoid having to trudge round some airport in the middle of nowhere for a few hours.

For those of us who haven't got air-miles, or some such, and are on a tighter budget, flying direct or business class is most likely out of the question!

in 2014 I went with Jet Airways via Mumbai out and Delhi return - both spanking new airports and only 2 to 3 hour stop-overs. Enough time to stretch legs, explores airport facilities, and have a beer or two to refresh for next leg. Flying time 3 to 4 hrs to India then about 9+ hours to Ldn. < GBP500 if I remember rightly, return economy.

Last year I looked again at this route but found they'd upped their fares a great deal - coming out at >GBP700 for the same route/stopovers and similar time of year - August.

So we went [had my Thai bf with me this time round] economy direct with Eva Air, whom I'd used be4 on 2 trips a few years prior. A lady-boy friend of my bf who works for a reputable travel agency in BKK found us 2 special promo seats for about 32k THB [GBP640] each, return. I thought this very good value for a return, direct flight and Eva Air have a good reputation for service and reliability all round - we weren't disappointed.

I assume you live near London? If I'm going to Scotland for a holiday, flying direct is NOT an option so I, and I am sure many others, have no choice but to change planes somewhere.

I cannot sit cramped in economy class for any length of time as my knees are knackered so I look around for the best business class deal - generally based on price but also taking into account transit time. If I have access to a lounge, I can cope with a long (5 - 6 hours) transit time though I would be struggling with that otherwise.

In the last 11 years, I've flown with various airlines:

KLM (don't like them - flights frequently late with on my last flight with them barely time to grab a snack before I had to be at the gate for a connecting flight. Also, I don't like Schipol Airport.

Malaysian (via KL and Amsterdam). Malaysian were good but see above for KLM from Amsterdam

Lufthansa Long transit at Frankfurt but made bearable with lounge access

Emirates OK but business class return to Glasgow from Bangkok now £1000 more expensive than the other way round. What's going on here?

Etihad Flat bed so got a good sleep in both directions. Not so keen on the menu though. Return flight was less than half what some other airlines were charging plus only a 2 hour transit

Incidentally, a friend flew in from Edinburgh with Qatar. A return flight (economy class) from Bangkok to Edinburgh with Qatar is twice as expensive as from Edinburgh!

Alan

I assume you live near London? If I'm going to Scotland for a holiday, flying direct is NOT an option so I, and I am sure many others, have no choice but to change planes somewhere.

I cannot sit cramped in economy class for any length of time as my knees are knackered so I look around for the best business class deal - generally based on price but also taking into account transit time. If I have access to a lounge, I can cope with a long (5 - 6 hours) transit time though I would be struggling with that otherwise.

In the last 11 years, I've flown with various airlines:

KLM (don't like them - flights frequently late with on my last flight with them barely time to grab a snack before I had to be at the gate for a connecting flight. Also, I don't like Schipol Airport.

Malaysian (via KL and Amsterdam). Malaysian were good but see above for KLM from Amsterdam

Lufthansa Long transit at Frankfurt but made bearable with lounge access

Emirates OK but business class return to Glasgow from Bangkok now £1000 more expensive than the other way round. What's going on here?

Etihad Flat bed so got a good sleep in both directions. Not so keen on the menu though. Return flight was less than half what some other airlines were charging plus only a 2 hour transit

Incidentally, a friend flew in from Edinburgh with Qatar. A return flight (economy class) from Bangkok to Edinburgh with Qatar is twice as expensive as from Edinburgh!

Alan

No, I live in Bangkok.

Trips back usually involve visiting various parts of the UK. But thankfully it's not a very big place!

I usually travel west from North America, but last year visited the UK and flew from Birmingham airport to Bangkok via New Delhi, if I remember right the aircraft was a Dreamliner (Boeing 787) and even though I was in economy the seats were spacious, legroom great and it was a comfortable flight, unlike the 777 or A340 sardine can configs... So if it's the same equipment I can recommend.

It's the seating comfort and extra baggage allowance I'm after so I just get the cheapest business class seat with flat bed. I dont care how long the stopovers are as long as they airline puts me up in a hotel (which they do).

I also dont really care how good or bad the food and drinks are (though I wont object if they are good). If the worst comes to the worst I could happily take my own sandwiches from home and a bottle of decent whisky from duty free.

This year I paid GBP1000 return with Sri Lankan.

It is not rocket science you will almost certainly save £100 or more

I'll happily pay £100 to avoid having to trudge round some airport in the middle of nowhere for a few hours.

On my short stopovers I sit in the business class lounge listening to podcasts whilst drinking champagne and eating fancy foreign nibbles, and on longer ones I have a nap in a hotel paid for by the airline (followed by champagne and nibbles at the lounge).

Given that this is pretty much what I would be doing at home anyway (without the champagne), it doesnt bother me to spend half a day this way.

Even if you dont have a business class ticket you can usually buy access to a lounge for a reasonable fee, and certainly much less than the GBP100 extra you are prepared to spend on a direct flight. Trudging is not an option.

Your destination in UK is another consideration. I need to fly to MANchester for which there is no direct flight. I have used Etihad but they support Man City & I'm a Utd fan; via Dubai from BKK means usually 2 or 3 am take-off which is tedious. Eventually I discovered KLM via Amsterdam leaving BKK at just after noon was more civilised but the layover was nearly 4 hours. BA via Heathrow is better with a shorter layover. I'd be interested in other suggested routes to MAN which are cheaper/shorter/more convenient.

Turkish Airlines - Manchester Istanbul Bangkok. Great prices at the moment as well, see Post 6.

Flying has become an even bigger nightmare. With all the sh-- going on in the ME , I avoid all airlines from that area. Thai & Chinese/Taiwanese are too expensive . Turks , absolutely no way , Ruskies are brute flyers and a risk too . Never flown air India but Jetairways ( from India) was good until they stopped to my destination. So what is left ? The european airlines , from expensive ( finnair , norway ) to the very expensive others. Stopovers are a necessity for lower prices , but no way I ever want to go via Heathrow , Schiphol . My prefered travel route would be my own car , IF there was a safe highway from Thailand to europe !

Each to their own but......

to Quote "All the sh__ going on in the ME" (I must have missed that)

The ME has some of the biggest airlines flying to Asia (in fact the main hub connecting Europe and Asia) the likes of Emirates/Qatar/Ethiad are all excellent airlines and becoming more competitive.

The other reason I prefer to fly direct is that my wife is a nervous flyer. The take off and landing are the parts of the flight she finds most stressful, so it's nice not to have to go through more of them than necessary.

Travelling with Child 2-1/2 year old..

Previously we have chosen based on comfort, cost and destination:

This meant Business Class Etihad (seats next to each other) and our Son (pre 2 years old) on a lap seat.

Recently his own seat on Etihad (and excellent offer about THB 180,000 for 3 business class seats) and Emirates (another excellent offer about THB 200,000 for 3 business class seats).

We've flown FinnAir business Class which was ok, but going via Heathrow is a bit of a headache as our UK destination is still 3 hrs+ away.

This year the Business Class prices seem a little too high, I can't justify paying that for a 2 year old, I don't think we'll be going Business. Thus, convenience and comfort take priority.

We're looking at BKK to Birmingham with Emirates on the A380 (THB: 87,000 for 3 economy seats)

From the Comfort Side: I'm told the A380 economy class on emirates is the most comfortable economy class.

Birmingham is the closest airport to our home in the UK.

I'm considering day time flights with an Airport hotel stop off in Dubai...

Time is not critical so we can take more time to make it more comfortable.

Recently flew to London Gatwick from Bangers with Emirates. This is the first time I have flown with Emirates, usually fly with Etihad or Qatar.

Must say Emirates is now my preferred choice out of these three. A380's, good food, pleasant crew and they hand out games and books to children.

Left Bangers at 2am, landed at Gatwick at 12.30pm. Only a 2 hour layover in Dubai, by the time you get off one flight, it is time to board the other flight.

Fine, but not everyone lives near London. For example Manchester does not offer direct, but does offer the option of avoiding London.

I pretty much go with best price but only major carriers,ie avoiding anything horrible,

Have been going via the Middle East for some time, mostly Etihad and some Qatar, fine airlines.

I have tried the long haul via Europe, Amsterdam for a while with KLM and even China Airlines, my last trip via Helsinki, pluses and minuses for both methods.

Still waiting on a non-stop from Manchester.

Fine, but not everyone lives near London. For example Manchester does not offer direct, but does offer the option of avoiding London.

I pretty much go with best price but only major carriers,ie avoiding anything horrible,

Have been going via the Middle East for some time, mostly Etihad and some Qatar, fine airlines.

I have tried the long haul via Europe, Amsterdam for a while with KLM and even China Airlines, my last trip via Helsinki, pluses and minuses for both methods.

Still waiting on a non-stop from Manchester.

Isn't that why they built the M6?

Archived