Phuket Vs Farangland in price

Walkabout Man

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Australia I used to travel miles to catch a feed of fresh crabs. Boat, equipment, fuel, all very expensive.

This morning we caught one in our yard. Free!"

I don't usually have to go any further than the bar at the bottom of my road to catch crabs. Sometimes they're free, sometimes they're not.

" Australia I used to travel miles to catch a feed of fresh crabs. Boat, equipment, fuel, all very expensive.

This morning we caught one in our yard. Free!"

I don't usually have to go any further than the bar at the bottom of my road to catch crabs. Sometimes they're free, sometimes they're not.

Never caught them that way myself.

The biggest difference I see is in eating out.
In the states, I can't afford to eat out.

If the price on the menu won't get you, the tip will make it almost double what you pay here.

Here in Phuket, I tip 20 baht on average.
In the states, a meal will be $15 and then they expect a $3 tip.
That's for something that would most likely be 100-150 baht here.

So, I eat out a lot in Thailand and enjoy the smiles and service. (not always but if it's bad, i don't go back as we have many choices, aye? )

Another big difference is at the drug store.
I bought a pack of band-aids the other day. 30 baht.

In the states, I go to these CVS's and the cheapest pack of them are $6.
Basically for the same thing.

What else?

Paint. In the USA, a gallon of paint will run you $40.
here? less than half of that.

Massage? not the same is it?

Traffic fines?

Hotel rooms?

Bottle of water? Can of coke?
Ice cream cone? I had to pay $6 for a small when I went miniature golfing with my kid back in the USA

On the other hand, Here's what I see much more expensive in Thailand comparatively to US:

I agree that Live Maine Lobsters are 300% better tasting and 300+% cheaper in Maine in October. Paid $3.99 a lb 2 years ago. Here they want $50 a kilo for lobster that has little taste.

Avocados are a lot cheaper back there too. As is wine.

Schools are expensive here. (I like the uniform thing though)

It's the freedom of life which is priceless living here.

Also many service aspects are here normal but you can't get them more in the home country.

In general only on cars and football i get higher quality for less money outside Thailand.

Only on medical expenses i save here a small fortune every year despite going to Bangkok Hospital.

Would i move back to my home country i would need double the money every month without having my definition of quality of life. But for me it's not quality of life to drive a mercedes in a nanny state.

Edited by Felt 35

Wine and cheese are expensive in Thailand, not just on Phuket, but other alcohol, Eg. beer, is quite cheap.

As ande47 says, you should try to compare "like for like" goods and services for a comparison.

There was a recent thread about the price of a Big Mac in Patong, compared to McDonald's elsewhere in Thailand.

Thinking of a "like for like" comparison, cinema tickets are good value here.

Depends upon whence you came. Local and imported beer is much more expensive here than in the states and that includes European beer. Although I have not been back in about 10 years, my stateside buddies still can get a draft of local beer in a local pub for less than a dollar (B35) and my favorite German beer, Veltins, is still only about $3.50/bottle (B120) in my old local.

Comparing like for like goods is called Purchasing Power Parity and is a major method for comparing living costs. There are numerous websites dedicated to providing that information; simply compare like costs in two different cities or countries.

Most labor-intensive items are cheaper here; compare barbers, beauticians, massages are cheaper here in Thailand. The services of skilled tradesmen--carpenters, masons, plumbers, welders, concrete workers, etc., all cheaper here.

Rents are far cheaper here, which makes purchasing property here even more of a bad deal.

Indeed, it depends upon what you're talking.

How did you come to that conclusion when its cheaper to rent and cheaper to buy

As usual with these types of threads the lines become blurred by those who want to talk about costs for a tourist, people who live, work, marry and raise children here, those who retire here at the end of their working lives and others who want to boast about their cheap existence in a rice paddy in the far north.

Expenses for all categories vary greatly and also for different folks and their lifestyles.

As a tourist in the past, I found Phuket to be much cheaper than going to Broome, The Gold Coast, Sydney or Cairns for a short term stay. Bali was cheaper still. Costs were still high, as they are for tourism everywhere.

As a younger person I didn't try to work nor raise a family here. I think a western lifestyle would be very difficult to achieve unless you are an offshore worker, employed by a big overseas company or managing a successful business.

Education costs and standards can be a huge problem for expats with children. I know of a number of people who have either declined to have kids, or who have taken/sent them to farangland for study when they reached a certain age.

During my working years I had a very good/comfortable lifestyle in Australia and wouldn't have swapped those years to live in Phuket.

In retirement in my western country, older and with less disposable income, it was expected that I should slowly fade away in a retirement institution or community and not bother anyone, Phuket is a brilliant alternative! (and Thaivisa allows me to bother everyone!)

I don't live like a tourist, nor try to eek out a living here. Instead, my western sourced income buys considerably more than it would back in the motherland. And, as my entertainment needs modify, I find this income allows me to live like a comparatively rich man.

Best of all worlds, and for me, haircuts are free!.

Edited by Old Croc

Not worth charging for the three strand comb-over?

Actually, I have a very competent hairdresser on the premises. Haircuts are free, everything else costs a fortune.

From what I've heard I'd be happy to compete against you in the hirsute stakes any time, Kaza.

post-18822-0-63488300-1464585868_thumb.j

Edited by Old Croc

I have a house in Rawai, 10 minutes to Nai Harn Beach, less than 5 to Rawai Beach. I can hear boats going out from my house. Cheap rent, quiet area. I have another house in Santa Cruz California, less than a mile from the beach, I can hear sea lions from my house and it's paid for. I live in both places every year, so I know what things cost in both places very well. It costs more to live in California than Phuket!

Electric, about the same for what I use in each place. Gasoline is cheaper in the US, but I don't drive much either place. Alcohol, especially wine is way cheaper in California. Fish costs more, rice costs more, the crab and lobster in the US are better and cheaper. I won't eat beef in Thailand, but I do in the US. Pork is cheaper in Thailand. Lettuce and produce in my area of California is outstanding and sometimes cheaper. Eating and drinking out is more expensive in the US. So it's a mix. I just adjust my lifestyle slightly and eat what's good and available fresh locally. Health care, veterinarians, auto insurance and repairs are all more in the US, by a LOT! Cars are cheaper in the US. My water, garbage and sewer are free at my place in Rawai, about $100 a month in the US. But I have to pay for insurance in both countries, so I just get over it, as I have to have it. Taxes are higher in California, other than on imported goods like Thailand.

As for those who say things are cheaper in other parts of Thailand than Phuket, eating out and housing are. Gasoline is about the same. There isn't nearly as much selection in most parts of Thailand for wine or rum or western foods in markets and it costs more than in Phuket. Food from the outdoor markets are about the same or less for some items in Phuket. Mackro prices are about the same as are Tesco and Big C. I visit the family every year out in Sa Kaeo, so that's what I compare it to.

Just my two satang. Life's a beach.

I want to live in Santa Cruz...some of the year. April to mid-May is brutal here but that would be about it.

I'd probably do it but I can't get a visa for the TG I've been married to for 4 years. Screw it. We'll go someplace else next year but I do envy someone able to live outside the country for part of the year.

I can't imagine living any place else in Thailand except for Phuket.

I have a house in Rawai, 10 minutes to Nai Harn Beach, less than 5 to Rawai Beach. I can hear boats going out from my house. Cheap rent, quiet area. I have another house in Santa Cruz California, less than a mile from the beach, I can hear sea lions from my house and it's paid for. I live in both places every year, so I know what things cost in both places very well. It costs more to live in California than Phuket!

Electric, about the same for what I use in each place. Gasoline is cheaper in the US, but I don't drive much either place. Alcohol, especially wine is way cheaper in California. Fish costs more, rice costs more, the crab and lobster in the US are better and cheaper. I won't eat beef in Thailand, but I do in the US. Pork is cheaper in Thailand. Lettuce and produce in my area of California is outstanding and sometimes cheaper. Eating and drinking out is more expensive in the US. So it's a mix. I just adjust my lifestyle slightly and eat what's good and available fresh locally. Health care, veterinarians, auto insurance and repairs are all more in the US, by a LOT! Cars are cheaper in the US. My water, garbage and sewer are free at my place in Rawai, about $100 a month in the US. But I have to pay for insurance in both countries, so I just get over it, as I have to have it. Taxes are higher in California, other than on imported goods like Thailand.

As for those who say things are cheaper in other parts of Thailand than Phuket, eating out and housing are. Gasoline is about the same. There isn't nearly as much selection in most parts of Thailand for wine or rum or western foods in markets and it costs more than in Phuket. Food from the outdoor markets are about the same or less for some items in Phuket. Mackro prices are about the same as are Tesco and Big C. I visit the family every year out in Sa Kaeo, so that's what I compare it to.

Just my two satang. Life's a beach.

I want to live in Santa Cruz...some of the year. April to mid-May is brutal here but that would be about it.

I'd probably do it but I can't get a visa for the TG I've been married to for 4 years. Screw it. We'll go someplace else next year but I do envy someone able to live outside the country for part of the year.

I can't imagine living any place else in Thailand except for Phuket.

I haven't been anywhere in Thailand that I'd rather live than Phuket either.

The visa is a pain for a Thai woman to go to or live in the US! And it continues to be. We got married in Santa Cruz about two and a half years ago and had to be back this year by February to put in an application for removal of my wife's Green Card restrictions. IE, fill out a bunch more paperwork, pay another $590 and wait months for an appointment to take her photo and finger prints again.

We still haven't been granted an appointment in four months. But, after this we should be done with most of the hoops we have to jump through in both, and/or most countries. Once she has her permanent US residence card that's good for 10 years and we can live or travel where ever we like. She can also apply for US citizenship in another year.

So it's another mix of things. It's harder to bring your wife to the US than it is for you to live in Thailand, by a LOT! It's easier to bring your dog to the US than your wife! Getting the export permit from Thailand for you dog is a bit of a pain though. I guess it's not easy to jump through all the hoops, but it's better than limiting your life because of paperwork and a bit of money. Although my dog doesn't get any frequent flyer miles!