500KM Yamaha MT-09 Review

Always had loud pipes on my HD. And it has saved my behind more than once. Most non-HD bikes with loud pipes sound obnoxious to me - gues I am just use to the rumble, not the scream. Old saying - If it is Too Loud, you are Too Old 555

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always had loud pipes on my HD. And it has saved my behind more than once. Most non-HD bikes with loud pipes sound obnoxious to me - gues I am just use to the rumble, not the scream. Old saying - If it is Too Loud, you are Too Old 555

Saving your behind many times is good. You are way above average. The dynamics of MC accidents suggest the opposite but if they save you once, maybe the obnoxious sound that loud pipes make to the rest of us is worth it. :)

Only non-HD sound like that to me. Honda, when entering the cruiser market, spent well over a million bucks to try and get their bikes to sound like a HD. As all the cruiser makes, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Only non-HD sound like that to me. Honda, when entering the cruiser market, spent well over a million bucks to try and get their bikes to sound like a HD. As all the cruiser makes, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Big difference between flattery and marketing. The Japanese want to make money in the U.S. Now if they lived in the US and had to listen to those vibrating noise makers revving at stop lights for no reason, they probably would not want to imitate HD. They probably could not make it work because they would have to back up their engineering 50 years and it would not make sense.

OP (and any other MT09 / FZ09 owners) - next time you change the oil you might want to grind off the fin that allegedly "protects" the sump drain bolt. Actually all it does is concentrate any impact and make it highly likely that you'll crack the sump, which is made of aluminium. Depending how lucky you are it may only be a hairline crack that slowly leaks and can be repaired … or it may dump a lot of oil very quickly, much of which will then coat your rear tyre with likely unfortunate consequences.

The pan is quite expensive (cost me about 5,000 something if I remember right but the main problem is it's not usually something Yamaha carry in stock. I was able to repair the crack (caused by a speed hump) and used the bike while I was waiting for the new pan … which took 6 weeks to arrive.

You can grind down the shark fin and also replace the stock drain bolt with something with a flusher fit. Thanks to inquisitive FZ owners in the US, we know that a certain Mazda sump bolt is a perfect fit. I bought one at my local Mazda dealer for a couple hundred baht.

More details are in this thread, including a pic of the Mazda bolt in its packaging. I'd especially recommend this mod if you often ride two-up.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/2742-cracked-oil-pan-ground-clearence-issue-4.html

OP (and any other MT09 / FZ09 owners) - next time you change the oil you might want to grind off the fin that allegedly "protects" the sump drain bolt. Actually all it does is concentrate any impact and make it highly likely that you'll crack the sump, which is made of aluminium. Depending how lucky you are it may only be a hairline crack that slowly leaks and can be repaired … or it may dump a lot of oil very quickly, much of which will then coat your rear tyre with likely unfortunate consequences.

The pan is quite expensive (cost me about 5,000 something if I remember right but the main problem is it's not usually something Yamaha carry in stock. I was able to repair the crack (caused by a speed hump) and used the bike while I was waiting for the new pan … which took 6 weeks to arrive.

You can grind down the shark fin and also replace the stock drain bolt with something with a flusher fit. Thanks to inquisitive FZ owners in the US, we know that a certain Mazda sump bolt is a perfect fit. I bought one at my local Mazda dealer for a couple hundred baht.

More details are in this thread, including a pic of the Mazda bolt in its packaging. I'd especially recommend this mod if you often ride two-up.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/2742-cracked-oil-pan-ground-clearence-issue-4.html

Thanks for the heads up. The MT-09 seems a great bike, and about as much fun as the Ducati I had back in the world. Even so, there appear to be several little niggling issues that need to be addressed.

There are several speed bumps in my moo baan, and one of them does bottom out with the bike unless I cross it "just so," in that one center sweet spot. Thus far, I've always assumed it was the muffler with the ground clearance problem. And indeed it is...

I just went to look at my bike to see what the problem looks like. And I don't have the problem. For 2016, the oil pan/drain plug area have been redesigned to match what's done on the MT-07. See pic below (Sorry for the dirt, but it is rainy season...).

This redesign is an admission of the problem with MT-09's sold in previous years. If I were the owner of an older MT-09 that does have the problem, I would proceed to the Yamaha shop (perhaps with a native Thai speaker) and argue with them that they should replace the old pan with the newer one, free. Especially if I had already cracked a pan and had already spent 5,000 Baht-ish or more to fix the problem, or worse, had an accident because of the design defect. TiT, however, and so it seems unlikely that Yamaha Thailand would replace it free, unless Yamaha issued a recall at the corporate level (they should - write to corporate about it). But seems reasonable that they could replace the defective oil pan with the new one at cost.

You've got me thinking, however... The shop where I had the muffler cut off the stock exhaust (see previous post) appears to do a pretty good business welding up aluminum or stainless steel skid plates and sending them out mail order (see second pic). Asking them to create a skid plate or cage of some sort for my bike, then, would be pretty straightforward. I'm not seeing anything to attach it to other than the bolts holding the oil pan to the crankcase, though. Not sure about that idea. Cracking the crankcase instead of the oil pan doesn't seem like much fun. Even so, it's an issue I will be thinking about a bit.

Choke dee...

post-39272-0-39810500-1466841539_thumb.j

post-39272-0-81596800-1466841548_thumb.j

Saving your behind many times is good. You are way above average. The dynamics of MC accidents suggest the opposite but if they save you once, maybe the obnoxious sound that loud pipes make to the rest of us is worth it. smile.png

The problem is that the data in the Hurt report only reports the presence or absence of loud pipes after an accident has occurred. The statement, "loud pipes didn't prevent this accident" will therefore necessarily be true 100% of the time. In fact, however, there are no statistics available by which to measure how many accidents may have been prevented by the presence of "loud pipes." I mean, I've never seen a headline saying "Yet another accident prevented by the presence of loud pipes." Just doesn't happen.

I see no reason whatsoever to disbelieve canthai55's report. It matches my own experience, as previously noted, and the reports of many others. There is no data with which to refute the idea. Only the cries of the easily annoyed.

Edited by RedQualia

"Make loud noise when necessary:" I imagine for most people, it would be like blowing their horn when necessary. Except that I don't blow my horn. First, it's simply not my habit. Second, I don't think it's very loud. Third, it's a bit difficult for me to think about finding the horn button over there between the high beam switch and turn signal lever while wearing gloves (as I always do), when say, a 55 year old woman has decided to cross the oncoming traffic lane to enter the roadway in front of me without looking. It is much easier for me to rev the engine, since my gloved hand is already wrapped around the throttle, and I feel it necessary to make damn sure she knows I'm coming up right behind her. Another time when it might be necessary is when that Mazda 2 (or Isuzu pickup) stopped in the center lane wants to go to the left most lane (because hey -- he can be three cars closer to the traffic light) without either looking at any of the motorbikes already in that lane, nor using his turn signal, and while he's probably talking on the phone. Suddenly making a lot of noise as he tries to wedge his fender in front of you seems like a good and even necessary thing to do. It damn sure isn't time for me to go fishing for the horn button "over there somewhere." I do not actually have loud pipes on my bike at present. I wish I had had them yesterday when someone in a car pulled out to block my lane of traffic on a two lane road and then sat there waiting for the other lane of traffic to clear. His door window was down, and yes... He was talking on his phone as he sat there in the middle of the road. I pulled up as closely to his car door as I could and just sat there on my quiet motorcycle. He couldn't tell that I was glaring at him through my tinted helmet windscreen. If I had loud pipes, then it would NOT have been necessary for me to sit there close to his car door and open window and rev the engine loudly while he talked on his phone. Not necessary at all. But I sure would have liked to have done it.

As for extra power, it's hard to say... Some aftermarket ("loud") pipes may deliver extra power. Some may actually take it away. Unless you have your engine dyno tested before and after, you won't know. What will likely be true is that your bike will weigh several KG less (5-6KG, in the case of the MT-09). Another likely occurrence is that, if you really like the sound your bike makes with the new "loud" pipes and insist on making loud sounds a lot, going faster a lot, etc., you'll start using more fuel. But because the engine is breathing more freely, fuel consumption can actually improve. It all depends on how you ride the bike. After I put a Tsukigi slip-on on my Kawasaki 650, I would use more fuel around town than I did with the stock muffler. On long trips, however, I would use less fuel... I could go further on a tank of gas. The same is true for automobiles. I remember claims by header manufacturers back in the states saying that fuel consumption could improve as much as 20%. That seemed to be true on one of my Camaros, on which I installed headers. It got pretty good mileage. But I also installed a smaller carburetor as well, and so I'm not sure which contributed most to saving fuel. These changes because fuel was very expensive at the time.

As for your seat comments, I confess to not understanding them all. I've said before that the stock seat does have some positives, but being comfortable isn't one of them. My wife hated sitting on the back of the stock seat. The new seat is much more comfortable, for both myself and my wife. Perhaps when you have a seat made, you'll share some pics of it with us. smile.png

First want give you VERY BIG honest;ly Thanks for your great and detailed answer!!

So you got ("loud") pipes" instead Horn?clap2.gif

For you more difficultt" finding the horn button" than squeeze the clutch and twist the throttle?blink.png

Where's MT-09 is a horn button? under the seat?

About seats not big deal

Its just my opinion about design

I think it does not look "cool" at the aggressive muscular bike

perhaps because gloss

may be if be matt..

Some like this

$_20.JPG

Saving your behind many times is good. You are way above average. The dynamics of MC accidents suggest the opposite but if they save you once, maybe the obnoxious sound that loud pipes make to the rest of us is worth it. smile.png

The problem is that the data in the Hurt report only reports the presence or absence of loud pipes after an accident has occurred. The statement, "loud pipes didn't prevent this accident" will therefore necessarily be true 100% of the time. In fact, however, there are no statistics available by which to measure how many accidents may have been prevented by the presence of "loud pipes." I mean, I've never seen a headline saying "Yet another accident prevented by the presence of loud pipes." Just doesn't happen.

I see no reason whatsoever to disbelieve canthai55's report. It matches my own experience, as previously noted, and the reports of many others. There is no data with which to refute the idea. Only the cries of the easily annoyed.

Your statement is correct but the belief that "loud pipes save lives" is not an overall correct assumption but rather another opinion repeated by one group of brand dedicated bikers. How many accident reports have you seen from HD riders? Many. Makes sense since 50% make up the riders (US). So statistics should tell us that less accidents by HD riders based on loud pipes. Not there. Again, what do we have. Assumptions. Based on: no data. When talking to HD riders about "counter steering" and "Doppler effect" ...you get deer in the headlights look. But to each their own. I prefer the cheaper more reliable alternative. My one overall complaint of a UJM is the horn. Weak. Quieter engine and louder horn is necessary to make noise when I want to make noise and not all the time as HD does. I have seen them sitting at an intersection revving and looking around to see who is looking...many times. NO cars around to warn for safety, just one vain rider trying to show off but just showing how ignorant he or she is. It's good to discuss though. None of us has the crystal ball to know everything. If I was a HD rider and had the belief that my loud pipes was protecting when they were not or my MC was protecting me because I have a loud horn, it may not be valid. It all comes down to skill, luck, visibility, equipment, and other vehicle operators trying to run our ass over!! :)

Topic title Yamaha MT09. Want a topic re: loud pipes - feel free to start one.

Given that one of my complaints in the original post was that the MT-09 is so quiet that it sounds like a sewing machine, that another user posted pics of his welded on IXIL mufflers in reply, and that I've just posted about having a shop cut the stock muffler off my MT-09, it was not unreasonable to expect the subject of loud exhausts to come up. I assume that by and by, I will post something about this or that slip-on, whether I think it sounds good on the MT-09, or is too loud, and etc. I assume also that any such posts will open the door for further comment on loud pipes. It's good if such discussions don't get carried away. On the other hand, the sound made as well as its loudness is very much an issue related to the MT-09. Please try to have patience when the subject comes up in the future. I'm sure it will.

For you more difficultt" finding the horn button" than squeeze the clutch and twist the throttle?blink.png

The horn button on the FZ09 isn't under the seat ;) but it is small and, unless you have a 6-inch long left thumb, actually not that easy to find instinctively because Yamaha put it off to one side on the grip (I don't know if it's been moved on the 2015 models). That said it sounds like a strangled sheep so it's pretty useless anyway.

This is a quick and easy mod that makes the front of the bike look much cleaner. It does muffle the bleat a bit but you can still hear it ...

http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/738-free-mod-horn-relocation.html

The horn button on the FZ09 isn't under the seat wink.png but it is small and, unless you have a 6-inch long left thumb, actually not that easy to find instinctively because Yamaha put it off to one side on the grip (I don't know if it's been moved on the 2015 models). That said it sounds like a strangled sheep so it's pretty useless anyway.

This is a quick and easy mod that makes the front of the bike look much cleaner. It does muffle the bleat a bit but you can still hear it ...

http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/738-free-mod-horn-relocation.html

I get what you are saying, but exhaust noise and horns are very different for alerting other road users of your presence.

You would look like a complete moron continually riding along with while beeping your horn (where as exhaust noise is basically always there).

So how loud are we talking here? An Android app probably isn't the best thing to use as a decibel meter, but it's easily downloaded and free. (The one I downloaded is listed as from "Abc Apps" in the google play store.) Such an app can at least give us a pretty good idea of what the sound levels are.

I measured the MT-09's decibel levels at idle and at 5,000RPM, holding the phone about 50-60cm away from the exhaust, at about a 45 degree angle to the bike, with the microphone pointed at the bike, as this is approximately what is done at the test stations. Note that the MT-09's exhaust tip in this case is pointed almost directly at the microphone, but hey... I was a one man show here, holding and looking at the phone while twisting the throttle. In an effort to have at least something to compare the readings to, I also tested my kid's 2015 Yamaha GTX 125 and wife's 2014 Sym Fiddle II (125cc). But note that those two motorbikes are automatics and do not have tachometers... So I tested them at idle, and again with my hand clutching the front brake lever while twisting the throttle until the bikes were trying hard to move. Again, not the best way to do things, but I was busy making do with what I could. And it's enough to give some idea of what we're talking about here. So...

MT-09: 74Db at idle, 80Db @ 5,000RPM. One or two spikes to 81db during engine deceleration from 5,000RPM, when the engine would crackle slightly.

GTX 125: 60Db at idle, 76Db as bike tried to pull away under front wheel braking
Sym 125: 55-57Db at idle, 77Db as bike tried to pull away under front wheel braking.

I also held the phone in the air space between my legs on the step through frame of the Sym, where it was mostly out of the wind zone, and recorded; 83-85Db at 60KPH.

An English translation of the Thai law concerning motorcycle exhaust can be found at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmYWlzMWkPhdXQwci1xZ0tFSGc/edit

The Thai language version can be found at http://www2.rid.go.th/research/vijais/moa/fulltext/TIS341-2543.pdf

Both documents appear to indicate that the maximum Db level for a motorcycle is 95 (arguably 99, as described on page 1/11; "arguably" because were I ever stopped for loud exhaust, I would argue for the 99Db level. biggrin.png )

I didn't really care to play "go fish" with the search engines too much, looking for Db levels for various bikes, but I did find a page indicating that the stock Yamaha R6 level a year or two ago was 97Db @ 7,250RPM, just for comparison (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/akrapovic-racing-exhaust-system-yamaha-r6-2008-2015)

Since the subject of horns has been brought up above, I went back out and measured the horn volume a bit ago. The horn makes a different sort of noise than the engine... It's higher pitched, and so I'm not really sure the phone's decibel meter could properly measure the decibel level. Regardless, with the engine running, and the phone's microphone pointed at a 45 degree angle toward the horn and about 50-60cm away from it, the horn's Db level was indicated as a maximum of 78, while the engine level from that position was 68Db. This could actually be close to a correct reading, as at least one web page that's done a bit of testing indicates horn volumes ranging from 77.4 - 107.7Db. (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm) Note too, that horn sounds are often composites of different frequencies and that the sounds are intended to "carry well." See the chart about 2/5ths of the way down the page at the link, where a stock Ducati horn is described as being 86.4Db at two feet away, and 85.5Db at 20 feet away. The horn remains worthless to me in any case, as blowing my horn isn't easy due to horn button issues, but more, because blowing the horn has just never been something I do. It is not my habit, on either a motorcycle or in a car/truck. Personally, I've always considered horns to be useless, stupid and unnecessary devices. My thinking on the matter is unlikely to change any time soon.

In any case, the sound levels we're talking about here are quite low. 80Db is what California law calls for in the case of motorcycles manufactured after 2013, which does match what my phone recorded. Thai law is more lenient, however. The decibel scale is logarithmic, and "loudness" perceived more or less doubles with each additional 10Db. The MT-09 is at least 15Db under the Thailand 95Db maximum allowed, and 19Db under the 99Db limit. This means the MT-09 could be almost four times louder, and still be within that 99Db limit. (Another comparison: my old Ninja 650 with a Tsukigi slip-on measured 95Db at idle at the local testing station a couple of years ago.)

Thus far, I haven't changed the stock exhaust on my MT-09. I'm still looking at options and thinking. Most manufacturers/sellers try to push full exhaust systems. I asked Tsukigi for a slip-on, and they replied that they only have a full system which I believe goes for about 44-45,000 Baht. The same for a bike shop contacted in Bangkok, who would like very much for me to buy a full Akropovic system for 39,500 - 46,500 Baht, or a full Termignoni Titanium & Carbon system for 27,500 Baht. Those are ridiculous amounts of money to pay for an exhaust system, and especially given that I would have no idea what they sound like until after I took the bike to Bangkok for purchase and installation. (How loud is a Termignoni system? What do you mean, "no refund?")

Too, given that I've had the muffler cut off the exhaust header now, I can at least in theory, try different slip-ons at local shops (so long as the shop is willing to let me try before purchase). Many of those are well under 5,000 Baht for the asking price. Something inconspicuous, hopefully... Maybe black, with no brand advertising on the side. I know what CNX Motogear has on its shelves. I need to visit Burning shop as well and have a look-see there (Any other shops around Chiang Mai with a collection of slip-ons?). But I'm not in any hurry, really... I mean, I still haven't received the license/number plate, so still not doing any touring or anything.

But the MT-09 really is too quiet for me to consider safe, and there is at least some acknowledgement out there that bikes can be too quiet... The NHTSA, for example, warns that too quiet electric vehicles pose a safety risk for pedestrians (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/01/its-official-loud-bikes-save-lives/), while the Oakland, CA police department spent $15,000 to make their Harley cop bike exhausts louder than the law permits (http://bikerlawblog.com/2008/10/15/oakland-california-police-modify-their-m/). They must know something...

So how loud are we talking here? An Android app probably isn't the best thing to use as a decibel meter, but it's easily downloaded and free. (The one I downloaded is listed as

MT-09: 74Db at idle, 80Db @ 5,000RPM. One or two spikes to 81db during engine deceleration from 5,000RPM, when the engine would crackle slightly.

GTX 125: 60Db at idle, 76Db as bike tried to pull away under front wheel braking

Sym 125: 55-57Db at idle, 77Db as bike tried to pull away under front wheel braking.

I also held the phone in the air space between my legs on the step through frame of the Sym, where it was mostly out of the wind zone, and recorded; 83-85Db at 60KPH.

60 db it noise in office..

70 db it noise speedway

80 db it noise on some factory and it is hazardous to hearing with prolonged exposure

100 db it jackhammer- very dangerous to hearing with prolonged exposure..

I do not think that your bike is loud in stock.

But its funny I am first heard that the exhaust is used as a horn.

had always thought that the loud exhaust in order to achieve greater power - efficiencywai.gif

PS

jast check with some app checking my stock exhaust..

103 db with 5000RPMblink.png

no think it app corect..clap2.gif

So how loud are we talking here? An Android app probably isn't the best thing to use as a decibel meter, but it's easily downloaded and free. (The one I downloaded is listed as

60 db it noise in office..

70 db it noise speedway

80 db it noise on some factory and it is hazardous to hearing with prolonged exposure

100 db it jackhammer- very dangerous to hearing with prolonged exposure..

I do not think that your bike is loud in stock.

But its funny I am first heard that the exhaust is used as a horn.

had always thought that the loud exhaust in order to achieve greater power - efficiencywai.gif

PS

jast check with some app checking my stock exhaust..

103 db with 5000RPMblink.png

no think it app corect..clap2.gif

Normal conversation is 60-70Db. 80Db is the loudness of a telephone dial tone. Other decibel ratings listed here: http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml

Second comparison chart. Toilet flushing is 75Fb according to this one. http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised that it took so long to find a slip-on that I considered acceptable, but it did. Most or even all of the aftermarket "made in Thailand" cans I tried were just too loud, or even way too loud, or actually sounded bad.

The can i ended up installing is an Ixil Xtrem. Not at all cheap, it's available on eBay for 350 Euros and up, which at present is $384.50US, or around 13,500 Thai Baht. I paid 11,500 Baht, or $329US, or 299 Euros, and so I got "something of a deal," I guess. ?

Video of how my MT-09 sounds with the Ixil Xtrem is on youtube. There is also a bit of additional text commentary in the video. Please do not listen to it using a smartphone! Because it will sound nothing like it does in reality. You need speakers that can deal with deep bass sounds. Ear buds, maybe, but decent quality real speakers better:

I mention in that video that I'd seen another video of the Ixil Xtrem installed on a Yamaha XJ6. That video is here:

You'll note that the can is installed "horizontally" on the XJ6, while I've installed it "vertically." As such, the red and black Ixil XTrem label is underneath the can on my bike, and not really visible. I wanted a "subdued" look, as opposed to some big flaming orange and purple pipes swooping everywhere saying "Look at me! Look at me!!!"

Generally, the Ixil Xtrem on my bike is fairly quiet here on day one of having it installed, both with and without the dbKiller (though it does move a bit of air!). I expect that will change as the can ages, the fiberglass inside gets packed or blown out a bit more, and etc. Even so, the can is often described as having one or another European approval, which I would take to include some sort of sound standard, though cannot say for sure.

Current pic of the bike here somewhere. Mods made thus far include the small windscreen, frame sliders that can be used as foot rests on trips, rebuilt the seat, passenger grab rails, and now the Ixil exhaust. I also fabricated a pair of helmet hooks that live just under either side of the seat, so that when appropriate, I can lock two helmets to the bike using the helmet straps. I still need to fabricate some sort of stand-offs for the cloth saddlebags I currently have. These would be simple frames or rods or whatever you might want to call them that would prevent the saddlebags from sagging in over the rear wheel when draped over the seat.

I think. I did see some Givi 3D600 "thermoformed" Easylock 25 liter saddlebags not so long ago for 9,200 Baht. They look good, and I would actually be willing to pay 9,200 Baht for a pair of saddlebags (as opposed to say, 30,000 Baht plus the cost of mounting hardware for a pair of Shad hard plastic boxes). Maybe I'll pick up a pair one day, but this is enough for now.

post-39272-0-09379200-1469553307_thumb.j

Surprised that it took so long to find a slip-on that I considered acceptable, but it did. Most or even all of the aftermarket "made in Thailand" cans I tried were just too loud, or even way too loud, or actually sounded bad.

The can i ended up installing is an Ixil Xtrem. Not at all cheap, it's available on eBay for 350 Euros and up, which at present is $384.50US, or around 13,500 Thai Baht. I paid 11,500 Baht, or $329US, or 299 Euros, and so I got "something of a deal," I guess. ?

Video of how my MT-09 sounds with the Ixil Xtrem is on youtube. There is also a bit of additional text commentary in the video. Please do not listen to it using a smartphone! Because it will sound nothing like it does in reality. You need speakers that can deal with deep bass sounds. Ear buds, maybe, but decent quality real speakers better:

I mention in that video that I'd seen another video of the Ixil Xtrem installed on a Yamaha XJ6. That video is here:

You'll note that the can is installed "horizontally" on the XJ6, while I've installed it "vertically." As such, the red and black Ixil XTrem label is underneath the can on my bike, and not really visible. I wanted a "subdued" look, as opposed to some big flaming orange and purple pipes swooping everywhere saying "Look at me! Look at me!!!"

Generally, the Ixil Xtrem on my bike is fairly quiet here on day one of having it installed, both with and without the dbKiller (though it does move a bit of air!). I expect that will change as the can ages, the fiberglass inside gets packed or blown out a bit more, and etc. Even so, the can is often described as having one or another European approval, which I would take to include some sort of sound standard, though cannot say for sure.

Current pic of the bike here somewhere. Mods made thus far include the small windscreen, frame sliders that can be used as foot rests on trips, rebuilt the seat, passenger grab rails, and now the Ixil exhaust. I also fabricated a pair of helmet hooks that live just under either side of the seat, so that when appropriate, I can lock two helmets to the bike using the helmet straps. I still need to fabricate some sort of stand-offs for the cloth saddlebags I currently have. These would be simple frames or rods or whatever you might want to call them that would prevent the saddlebags from sagging in over the rear wheel when draped over the seat.

I think. I did see some Givi 3D600 "thermoformed" Easylock 25 liter saddlebags not so long ago for 9,200 Baht. They look good, and I would actually be willing to pay 9,200 Baht for a pair of saddlebags (as opposed to say, 30,000 Baht plus the cost of mounting hardware for a pair of Shad hard plastic boxes). Maybe I'll pick up a pair one day, but this is enough for now.

Did you have to cut the original pipe or was it plug and play?

The Kawasaki 650 connector, supplied with the muffler, didn't quite work for the MT-09, so yes, there was a bit of welding done... Essentially, had to cut off about 4-5 inches, and then weld on new pipe that was bent a bit differently. Total cost for the shop I use to do that: 350 Baht.

No re-mapping of the ecu? Dear oh dear !

Look! A "dear oh dear" kinda guy has stopped by to say "dear oh dear!" Dear, oh dear...

Reflashing the ECU is not particularly necessary, and may or may not result in any benefit. I may or may not do it. Someday, when I have the time and money. Most people though, tend to do one thing at a time. First you put on one shoe. Then you turn your attention to the other shoe.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2591-do-you-need-ecu-reflash-aftermarket-exhausts.html

Think I will go for the full Termignoni system.

K-Speed has the full Termi system for 27,500, according to their website. Can't recall for sure, but believe that Teera Motorcycles is selling it for about the same price... A few thousand baht more than twice what I paid.

I would have preferred Tsukigi, I do believe, but was only interested in a slip-on. Tsukigi has no slip-on that they're willing to suggest for an MT-09, and it seems difficult at present to find a shop that actually has a supply of Tsukigi exhausts. Tsukigi Japan is offering a full system for about 33,000 Baht, but if it's being imported from Japan, customs duties may apply. Not sure of the current rate for things from Japan, but possible for the price to double. That could end up being a pretty expensive exhaust system, and especially so if they're still making Tsukigi exhausts in Samut Prakan.

Yamaha would of course love to sell us all Akropovich systems for around 45,000 Baht per. Now we're talking about almost four times what I paid for the Ixil can. Too, seems all the more expensive when you consider that you can buy a new Yamaha GTX 125 for 43,000 Baht...

Alas... I do not have that kind of money. Either that, or I'm too frugal to part with it for an exhaust system. As it is, I paid 11,500 Baht, plus the cost of the welder's work. Some think that was much too much.

But if you've got the cash for any of those more expensive options, then I'm very happy for you! smile.png

One other small concern worth mentioning here is that I wanted to keep the original muffler in case I might need to restore it some day, and/or pass it on to any future buyer. Storing or moving around the full, one piece original factory exhaust seems a bit problematic. The bike's original muffler considered by itself is much less trouble, however, and can simply go on a shelf in a cabinet somewhere. Some don't consider the ability to restore to stock an issue at all, of course, and would be only too happy to sell the original exhaust for whatever, or perhaps even throw it away. To each their own...

In Pattaya they often have police check points and anybody riding non original exhaust can expect to pay 1000 baht each time, so I keep standard exhaust on my bike forever.

I've heard others say that. I don't live in Pattaya, so can't say much about it. I'm not sure what you're riding, but I have visited there several times in the past on a Kaw Ninja 650 with a Tsukigi exhaust and never had a problem.

I met one of the readers of this thread a while back and we swapped MT-09s for a while. He's out in the country and has straight-through exhaust. He got to try out my new seat, while I got to listen to his bike while riding it. He seemed to like the new seat quite a bit. But the MT-09 moves quite a bit of air, and I think quite a bit more than the Kaw 650s. Straight-through on a Kaw 650 isn't too bad, but his MT-09 exhaust was more than I could take. Much too loud for me, personally. I worried that it would be too loud for the Chiang Mai police as well, so tried to stay away from areas where we might encounter them. I wouldn't want to travel around Thailand with an exhaust that loud, but fortunately, he does have silencers he can put in if he wants.

Different cops in different towns have different attitudes about different things, and you never know what mood someone might be in. Chiang Mai cops are reported to give tickets for loud exhaust now and again, but I haven't had any problems. I've read or heard that some police may make exceptions for bigger bikes and just go after the crappy sounding smaller bikes the kids ride. I can't say. Maybe I haven't been ticketed because I'm an older rider. Maybe the exhausts I've had are quieter and more difficult to notice as non-stock. Maybe I'll be ticketed tomorrow.

An article concerning whether automobile and truck drivers can hear quiet motorcycles under various circumstances, including when the bike is right next to the car (spoiler: they can't) -- http://www.bikernet.com/pages/Bikernet_Independent_Motorcycle_Noise_Study.aspx

An article discussing how the Oakland CA police department retrofitted loud exhaust to all their motorcycles, in clear violation of the law, owing to safety concerns. "Kozinski cited an accident three months ago in which an Oakland officer riding a toned-down cycle was struck by a motorist who said he hadn't heard the officer approaching." http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Oakland-PD-s-Harleys-have-a-new-roar-3281220.php

One more: The NHTSA back in the states allegedly wants to ban vehicles that are too quiet (specifically electric) owing to in-city pedestrian safety. Quiet vehicles are dangerous because pedestrians, etc, can't hear them. http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/01/its-official-loud-bikes-save-lives/

Refresh my memory... When a motor vehicle hits a pedestrian, who pays the medical bills? Is it the auto driver who doesn't like loud motorcycles?

For me, it really does come down to safety. That said, you pays your money, and yous takes your chances...

I am on a V650 but that doesn't really matter.

No it's my impression that in Pattaya, they specially target big bikes and expats (have money), I doubt very much they demand a Thai 1000 baht for noisy exhaust on his little 125-150cc bike/scooter as many don't carry that much money in cash.

Well my twin is not the best sounding engine anyway so I prefer it dimmed downsmile.png

An article concerning whether automobile and truck drivers can hear quiet motorcycles under various circumstances, including when the bike is right next to the car (spoiler: they can't) -- http://www.bikernet.com/pages/Bikernet_Independent_Motorcycle_Noise_Study.aspx

An article discussing how the Oakland CA police department retrofitted loud exhaust to all their motorcycles, in clear violation of the law, owing to safety concerns. "Kozinski cited an accident three months ago in which an Oakland officer riding a toned-down cycle was struck by a motorist who said he hadn't heard the officer approaching." http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Oakland-PD-s-Harleys-have-a-new-roar-3281220.php

It has been said many times, first heard it in my late teens "Loud Pipes Save Lives" Nice to see some documented backup. Us HD riders have known this for years. It has saved by behind more than once. But even being heard is no excuse for not using your mirrors, and a shoulder check into your blind spot, before executing a turn.Bigger problem is people do not know how to drive, or ride. This is at the heart of the matter.

Edited by canthai55

It has been said many times, first heard it in my late teens "Loud Pipes Save Lives" Nice to see some documented backup. Us HD riders have known this for years. It has saved by behind more than once. But even being heard is no excuse for not using your mirrors, and a shoulder check into your blind spot, before executing a turn.Bigger problem is people do not know how to drive, or ride. This is at the heart of the matter.

Correct, riding skills are ultimately what will save lives or reduce injuries. The "loud pipes save lives" jingle is dangerous. It is really about "look at me" and not about safety which is the excuse perpetuated by vanity. Can it possible save an accident or two? Sure. Worth it for those folks, absolutely. Overall, loud pipes do one thing. Make noise. Not about safety more than it's about drawing attention to themselves and their "lifestyle." We should not rely on loud pipes and anecdotal reports but rather good biking skills, defensive driving, and, when needed, a good air horn (compared to the buzzer's on most stock bikes).

"Lifestyle" has nothing to do with it. Had cars start to turn into my lane until they heard the pipes, then stayed put. What I ride, what I wear, has sweet FA to do with it. Look at Me ? Damn Right ! Look at me and don't run me over. I have 6 bikes in LOS. Only the HD has loud pipes. Can I see a difference ? Yes. And when I ride my Dyna I do not wear a leather vest, wife beater, and jeans. I wear a mesh, armoured jacket, armoured pants, AStar boots and gloves. So do not make assumptions based on what a person rides as to what their "Lifestyle is" If you saw me at a PTT station you would have no clue what type of bike I ride as I wear the same gear to ride them all. Blanket statements ar always wrong.

Edited by canthai55