Patong is dead - but what about the rest of Phuket?

simon43

2015 = 120 million Chinese total outbound tourists

2020. = 200 M

Thailand nr. 5 destination.

Do the math.

What are the top 4 destinations so I can make sure to avoid?

S.Korea

Taiwan

Japan

Hong Kong

Thailand

Unfortunately, Thailand forecast to move to 3rd so it will only get worse.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Thailand forecast to move to 3rd so it will only get worse.

[/quote\]

Depends what you mean by the 'it' in your sentence. For those working in the hospitality business, the increase in Chinese visitors should be viewed as a business opportunity, (but it might require a lot of imagination by some to identify a viable business solution).

I don't doubt that hoards of Chinese tour groups is not what most of us want to see in Phuket. But get used to it, because IMHO, that is all you're going to get in the future.

I don't doubt that hoards of Chinese tour groups is not what most of us want to see in Phuket. But get used to it, because IMHO, that is all you're going to get in the future.

I don't think so.

Slowly, the tour groups will decrease as independents increase. We are already seeing it. Loads of Chinese wobbling on their motorbikes, lots taking strolls near the sea.

It can't be a "pleasant" experience being herded about, being strong-armed into buying stuff you don't want.

From what I'm seeing, the independent travelers are young and the tour groups are older. Time and demographics are going to change the way the Chinese travel.

it is a shame that all of the rough trade lady boys and pimps couldn't simply disappear.

Now that would definitely bring the area back to life!

Then again, Thailand does seem to live off lowlife scum like this.

Thailand, the chronic dirty diaper country.

Edited by streetsweeper

it is a shame that all of the rough trade lady boys and pimps couldn't simply disappear.

What a sad and stupid post. I would guess 99% of Phuket is pimp and ladyboy free.

Please stay in your home country and also post your nonsens there.

I don't think so.

Slowly, the tour groups will decrease as independents increase. We are already seeing it. Loads of Chinese wobbling on their motorbikes, lots taking strolls near the sea.

It can't be a "pleasant" experience being herded about, being strong-armed into buying stuff you don't want.

From what I'm seeing, the independent travelers are young and the tour groups are older. Time and demographics are going to change the way the Chinese travel.

"Slowly, the tour groups will decrease as independents increase." - I'm not so sure, KB.

The tour groups secure the lowest possible prices on rooms, restaurant meals, transport and activities. When a Chinese independent traveler weighs up the price difference, and sees a huge difference, they may have no choice but to join a tour group, based on price alone.

"We are already seeing it. Loads of Chinese wobbling on their motorbikes, lots taking strolls near the sea. " - firstly, how do you know they are Chinese, and how do you know these are independent Chinese travelers, and not within a tour group? Maybe they hired a motorbike during some of the tour's free time, or took a stroll near the sea.

Also, maybe some bought the tour for the cheap accommodation, meals and transport, but opted out of the activities so they could explore the things they wanted to.

"It can't be a "pleasant" experience being herded about" - I agree, but it can be more affordable and more safe than traveling independently. Something bound to be considered by Chinese travelers.

"Time and demographics are going to change the way the Chinese travel." - I agree, but not in the near future.

Hypothetically, if you could take the sex trade out of Phuket / Thailand, the country / island would go broke, with many Thai's in the North East of the country living below the poverty line.

Do you actually read over what you have written? Some of it doesn't even make sense.

Take the sentence below. It doesn't take a genius to understand that if an "independent traveler" has no choice but to join a tour group, then, that person is no longer an independent traveler.

"When a Chinese independent traveler weighs up the price difference, and sees a huge difference, they may have no choice but to join a tour group, based on price alone".

Edited by KarenBravo

Hypothetically, if you could take the sex trade out of Phuket / Thailand, the country / island would go broke, with many Thai's in the North East of the country living below the poverty line.

What utter rubbish. Educate yourself on the Thai economy........it ain't hard.

"Slowly, the tour groups will decrease as independents increase." - I'm not so sure, KB.

The tour groups secure the lowest possible prices on rooms, restaurant meals, transport and activities. When a Chinese independent traveler weighs up the price difference, and sees a huge difference, they may have no choice but to join a tour group, based on price alone.

"We are already seeing it. Loads of Chinese wobbling on their motorbikes, lots taking strolls near the sea. " - firstly, how do you know they are Chinese, and how do you know these are independent Chinese travelers, and not within a tour group? Maybe they hired a motorbike during some of the tour's free time, or took a stroll near the sea.

Also, maybe some bought the tour for the cheap accommodation, meals and transport, but opted out of the activities so they could explore the things they wanted to.

I agree - I don't expect many independants to return to Phuket. It's so tired and old - had it's day.

I know they are Chinese on m/bikes as I look at their faces and there are many many independent Chinese tourists as I see then at smaller hotels that do not cater for coach tours.

I have no idea when the current Chinese tourist boom will fizzle out. Might have a few more years - then what ...

Edited by LivinginKata

Chinese tourism is mainly price-driven at the moment, hence the proliferation of tour groups.

I personally expect a growth in both areas: independent Chinese travellers and the tour groups. I've been contacted by Ctrip to work directly with them, which would indicate that independent traveller numbers are likely to grow but the big hotels are increasingly looking towards the Chinese tour group market as it provides year-round trade.

The Russians will also be back in force next season if my advance bookings are any sort of indicator.

Do you actually read over what you have written? Some of it doesn't even make sense.

Take the sentence below. It doesn't take a genius to understand that if an "independent traveler" has no choice but to join a tour group, then, that person is no longer an independent traveler.

"When a Chinese independent traveler weighs up the price difference, and sees a huge difference, they may have no choice but to join a tour group, based on price alone".

That's my point.

A potential independent Chinese traveler may weigh up the cost of traveling independently, versus the cost of of joining a Chinese tour group.

The tour will definitely be cheaper, so many independent Chinese travelers will join a tour group. Hence, they go from independent travelers to part of a tour group.

I'm sure the "genius" in you KB can see that this means Chinese tour groups may well swallow up potential Chinese independent travelers, based on price alone. This means more tour group numbers and less independent traveler numbers.

As mentioned, many may opt for the cheap flights, cheap accommodation, cheap meals, and cheap land transport, but opt out of the activities, in lieu of more free time to wobble around on motorbikes. :)

This means some may opt for a combination of traveling with a tour group, with some local independent exploration of the island in their free time, but they will certainly use the bargaining power of the tour group to secure the cheapest price for the bulk of their holiday expenses.

What utter rubbish. Educate yourself on the Thai economy........it ain't hard.

In my haste to post, I will correct myself.

If the sex trade was taken out of Thailand / Phuket, the tourism industry would go broke.

Also, sex (which includes the boyfriend / husband sending money to Issan every month) makes a lot more money than growing rice or selling som tum in Issan. It is a major source of revenue for extended families in Issan.

Chinese tourism is mainly price-driven at the moment, hence the proliferation of tour groups.

I personally expect a growth in both areas: independent Chinese travellers and the tour groups. I've been contacted by Ctrip to work directly with them, which would indicate that independent traveller numbers are likely to grow but the big hotels are increasingly looking towards the Chinese tour group market as it provides year-round trade.

The Russians will also be back in force next season if my advance bookings are any sort of indicator.

"Chinese tourism is mainly price-driven at the moment, hence the proliferation of tour groups." - "I personally expect a growth in both areas: independent Chinese travellers and the tour groups" - how can the itinerary of an independent Chinese traveler possibly compete, on price, with the Chinese tour group price?

I would suggest the price difference would be significant enough that the package holidays will win over any potential independent Chinese travelers.

Still ignorant, still need to educate yourself.

It's been a long, long time since sex tourists outnumbered family tourists in Phuket.

I concede there is less sex tourism on Phuket than in the past, but that's because "Patong / Phuket is dead" - as per this thread, and the other thread running. However, you have to weigh this up against places like Pattaya, where there are way more sex tourists than families.

Imagine if the sex trade was to magically stop in Thailand. Just think what it would do to employment, even on Phuket, and the national economy, let alone the Issan economy.

Also, the guy who has taken a young Thai wife from a bar, and sends money to her family in issan every month, may not be a "sex tourist" by definition, although he may previously had been, but his money supports the family in Issan more than their rice paddy does.

Try to think outside the square KB.

It's been a long, long time since sex tourists outnumbered family tourists in Phuket.

I concede there is less sex tourism on Phuket than in the past, but that's because "Patong / Phuket is dead" - as per this thread, and the other thread running. However, you have to weigh this up against places like Pattaya, where there are way more sex tourists than families.

Imagine if the sex trade was to magically stop in Thailand. Just think what it would do to employment, even on Phuket, and the national economy, let alone the Issan economy.

Also, the guy who has taken a young Thai wife from a bar, and sends money to her family in issan every month, may not be a "sex tourist" by definition, although he may previously had been, but his money supports the family in Issan more than their rice paddy does.

How much money does just the marine industry bring in each year?

Or, how about the diving businesses, or, the martial arts business?

What about all the hotels and rooms for rent? What about the construction industry here, or how about all the shopping? How much each year?

Less than the flesh trade?

Thinking "outside of the square" is irrelevant when the conclusion it results in is just plain wrong.

Try to think rationally and logically NKM. I know it's hard for you, but, practice will make perfect...........one day.

Edited by KarenBravo

I agree - I don't expect many independants to return to Phuket. It's so tired and old - had it's day.

I know they are Chinese on m/bikes as I look at their faces and there are many many independent Chinese tourists as I see then at smaller hotels that do not cater for coach tours.

I have no idea when the current Chinese tourist boom will fizzle out. Might have a few more years - then what ...

"I don't expect many independants to return to Phuket." - Chinese independent travelers, or other nationalities?

Just on this point, how much money is there to be made from independent Chinese travelers anyway????

The super wealthy Chinese would not be coming to Phuket when there are better destinations on offer for those with serious money.

As for the growing Chinese middle class independent travelers, I would think they would spend even less money than western backpackers.

Certainly they would spend less on alcohol and nightlife.

So what monetary benefit is there to targeting this market - perhaps some motorbike hire. :)

What about all the hotels and rooms for rent? What about the construction industry here, or how about all the shopping? How much each year?

Thinking "outside of the square" is irrelevant when the conclusion it results in is just plain wrong.

Try to think rationally and logically NKM. I know it's hard for you, but, practice will make perfect...........one day.

So, the yachties, muay Thai boxers, empty shopping centers, divers, and Burmese laborers on construction sites on Phuket, turn over more money than bars, nightclubs, prostitutes, restaurants, massages, cafes etc etc. cheesy.gif

I'll leave out accommodation because sex tourists need accommodation as well.

Have a look around, KB. See all those guys with a Thai girl - the majority are paying for it. So, not only do they pay for everything they would consume on their holiday, if alone, but also paying her way, and then cash money to her for services rendered.

It's HUGE baht turnover both on Phuket, and across Thailand.

The sex trade is an"industry" is Thailand, and bigger than many other industries here, including the ones you mentioned. Thailand is famous for its sex industry.

Wake up.

Edited by NamKangMan

So, the yachties, muay Thai boxers, empty shopping centers, divers, and Burmese laborers on construction sites on Phuket, turn over more money than bars, nightclubs, prostitutes, restaurants, massages, cafes etc etc. cheesy.gif

I'll leave out accommodation because sex tourists need accommodation as well.

Have a look around, KB. See all those guys with a Thai girl - the majority are paying for it. So, not only do they pay for everything they would consume on their holiday, if alone, but also paying her way, and then cash money to her for services rendered.

It's HUGE baht turnover both on Phuket, and across Thailand.

The sex trade is an"industry" is Thailand, and bigger than many other industries here, including the ones you mentioned. Thailand is famous for its sex industry.

Wake up.

And there you have it. A man who suddenly realises he's wrong, but, won't admit it.

What have bars, restaurants, cafes etc got to do with the sex trade? Please don't say that even sex tourists have to eat. They are a tiny percentage of the customers.

You seem to be sneakily widening the businesses you consider part of the sex industry.

Good thing I'm not two years old and fall for such a dishonest answer to my post.

You're wrong NKM, it's so obvious. Don't try and change the argument.

You claimed that without the sex industry, the Phuket economy would collapse. You are, as usual, full of caca and trying to change your original stance. I see you have switched from Phuket to Thailand. Your usual crap when you know you have been proved wrong.

Construction industry smaller than the sex industry (Thailand, or Phuket)? What planet are you on?

PS. I've said all I'm going to say on this subject.

Edited by KarenBravo

NKM I dont think you actually live in Phuket. You see things that none of the rest of us Phuket people see. The sex tourism is very minimal in Phuket. And to say that any person with a Thai woman or wife is directly a part of that tourism....is truly laughable.

@ KarenBravo

"What have bars, restaurants, cafes etc got to do with the sex trade?" - simple answer. Prostitutes work in bars, nightclubs, massage shops etc. A "sex tourist" engages their services.

Do you really think all those young and middle aged men come to Thailand for the food and the beach first, and the sex here is an after thought???? I suggest they come to Thailand firstly for the sex, and the food and beach are second.

As I said, in my haste to post, I posted Thailand would go broke. I then corrected that to the tourism industry would go broke, if, hypothetically, there was a complete end to the sex trade across Thailand. A comment you disagreed with.

Picture not one single prostitute working in a bar, no happy ending massages, no freelance hookers, no soapy massages, no go-go shows etc etc. Whilst this will never happen, it's also why I used the word, "hypothetically." However, we did get a small insight into this with the tsunami, the Bangkok floods (sex trade in Bangkok) the "yellow shirts" taking the airport, the volcano over Europe and, in the future, an event that may see alcohol sales stop for a period of time. (I'm sure you know what I am talking about)

Now, perhaps we should clarify the term, "sex tourist." The word "tourist" in this term tends to describe a man who flies into Thailand for a 1, 2. 3 or 4 week holiday, before returning home, and back to work.

As an example, if such a guy was to make a visa for a Thai bar girl and take her home with him, under the agreement he sends money to her family in Issan every month, does he cease to be a "sex tourist?" The girl is still earning money for her "services." Admittedly, those services may have expanded to cooking, cleaning etc.

Should the same man go onto marry this girl, probably to make her entry and exit into his country easier, the whole time still sending money to her family in Issan each month, is it at this point he stops being a "sex tourist?" The girl is still earning money from her services at this point as well.

What about expats living in Thailand with the same "financial agreement" with a Thai girl. They are not in a bar anymore, but the expat gives her money every month.

I widened this definition, because if you stopped the sex trade in Thailand, most Thai's living in Issan would be living below the poverty line.

All of these scenarios bring in hundreds of millions of baht to Issan, every month. Do you deny this?

Sure, "sex tourist" pay their 1000, 1500 or 2000 baht for their hour or night of fun. My point is, if this ended, many men would not go on to meet their Thai girlfriend, who may go on to be his Thai wife, the whole time whilst supporting her family in Issan. This is why I said, "Think outside the square." Sex and money is still at the core of their relationship.

Ever heard the saying, "When the money stops the girl goes back to the bar?" Love doesn't conquer all in these cases. It's all about the money, and in many cases it started with the girl working in the sex trade.

Just what percentage of foreign men meet a Thai girl in a legit job, who possibly even has a career, and she maintains independence within the relationship?

What's the difference between a prostitute having 5 different customers for sex each week, or the same exclusive customer for the same money, or more, each week?

In relation to your "construction" comment in a previous post, I took that to mean those working in construction were sending money back to Issan every month. As we all know, most of the laborers working construction are Burmese, so that money goes back to Burma. With most in control of the project not being from Issan.

I will also add, that those men with a Thai girlfriend / wife, whom they met in the sex trade, are repeat tourists to Thailand. They come back for a holiday and for the Thai girl to see her family. This also adds to the stats and economy in the tourist areas and Issan.

Rather than personally attack me, why don't you state what you agree with, or disagree with, and why?

NKM I dont think you actually live in Phuket. You see things that none of the rest of us Phuket people see. The sex tourism is very minimal in Phuket. And to say that any person with a Thai woman or wife is directly a part of that tourism....is truly laughable.

I live on the outskirts of Patong. Yes, I know many of you will say, "Patong is not Phuket." smile.png

I am in Patong almost on a daily basis, if not for social, for shopping, banking etc. I obviously see more than the old timers down in Rawai.

The "Patong is Dead" thread has confirmed Patong is very quiet, or "dead." Picture Patong with no sex trade at all - a hypothetical situation I know. Are you saying only families visit Bangla Road at night time? Are you saying there are families in the nightclubs and in the Tiger complex at night?

What about the guys that fly into Phuket and take a bar girl for the duration of their 2 week holiday? You see them sitting in restaurants together - are they suddenly in a relationship and he is no longer a "sex tourist?"

More to my point, hasn't the restaurant profited from selling two meals, instead of one, from the sex trade????

How many hotels have a "joiner fee?" They even profit from the sex trade with this "fee" for a room that is built for two people.

"And to say that any person with a Thai woman or wife is directly a part of that tourism....is truly laughable." - why? I have explained this in my previous post.

Do you deny that many men, from all around the world, first met their Thai partner in the sex trade?

If that man is still giving her money, is she not still working in the sex trade????

Once again, "When the money runs out, so does the girl." This is probably why there are so many suicides here. The guy thinks she love him, but for her, he was nothing more than just a long term "customer."

Edited by NamKangMan

I said I wouldn't comment again, but, after seeing the following sentence, I laughed my arse off.

"More to my point, hasn't the restaurant profited from selling two meals, instead of one, from the sex trade????"

​Errrrrrm...........have you thought that if he didn't pick up the girl, then they would both eat separately. A total of two meals have been eaten, whether at one restaurant, or two.

You see, for the girl, getting picked-up is not a condition on whether she eats or not.

Also, as a percentage of total customers, the sex tourist is still tiny, so, if all sex tourists decided not to eat, it would have a negligible affect on restaurant income.........except of course, if they all ate at the same restaurant. You know, a sex trade restaurant.

Classic example of NKMs fuzzy thinking and failure to think things through.

I said I wouldn't comment again, but, after seeing the following sentence, I laughed my arse off.

"More to my point, hasn't the restaurant profited from selling two meals, instead of one, from the sex trade????"

​Errrrrrm...........have you thought that if he didn't pick up the girl, then they would both eat separately. A total of two meals have been eaten, whether at one restaurant, or two.

You see, for the girl, getting picked-up is not a condition on whether she eats or not.

Also, as a percentage of total customers, the sex tourist is still tiny, so, if all sex tourists decided not to eat, it would have a negligible affect on restaurant income.........except of course, if they all ate at the same restaurant. You know, a sex trade restaurant.

Classic example of NKMs fuzzy thinking and failure to think things through.

With no customer, the bar girl will order som tum for 60 baht off the street, and eat it behind the bar. Or snack a few times during the shift. Eg. mango and chilli. Not much money spent for her meal.

However, with a "customer" taking her out of the bar, they may eat at a nice restaurant, with her order turning over a lot more than 60 baht for the restaurant. Indeed, the bill could go into the thousands of baht.

If the customer is a newbie, many times the bar girl is on the phone arranging for her "sister" to join the meal as well.

Surely, you have seen this, on many, many occasions? Do you deny it exists?

Can't you see, in this scenario, the restaurant has profited from the sex trade? There is an obvious flow on effect, which is huge for hospitality businesses across Thailand.

Ever seen the bar girls sunning themselves around the pool of a big resort with a foreigner? For the hotel, twice the drinks, twice the room service, twice the meals, twice the massages etc - have they not profited from the sex trade?

Jeez, even Western Union profits from the sex trade in Thailand.

You really need to open your mind, KB. It's a bigger industry than just a guy giving 1000 baht to a Thai girl for short time, which, also, for the purpose of my point, the short time hotel also profits.

Edited by NamKangMan

^

KB - there is no point answering back to NKM as he'll just bounce back with a question for you ...

You can personally attack me, but I am really surprised how some on this forum grossly underestimate the importance of the sex trade to the tourism industry, and particularly the hospitality industry, in Thailand.

As mentioned, it's also a major revenue stream for many extended families in Issan.

I think many just can't imagine what the Thai tourism industry would be like, should, hypothetically, the sex trade cease in Thailand.