Patong is dead - but what about the rest of Phuket?

simon43

I went for first time in phuket Island last month. I enjoyed my stay and feeled relax and had good time on beach. BUT i feeled everything is very expensive there : meals, drinks , taxi (Rip off), hôtels ... It killed my hope to come back again.

Phuket is on a par price-wise with staying on a beech resort in Europe !

not even close

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always got kick out of that "Patong is dead" thread.
It always seems to me like it's very crowded, especially compared to Rawai/Chalong/Nai Harn.

June is usually the lowest month (for tourist numbers) of the year.

These kind of threads seem to pop up every year at this time.
The smart businesses are closed for 2 or 3 months.

Take a break.
Those who live here: Enjoy the quieter scene. It's quite nice.

I was in Patong early afternoon a couple of days ago.

Saw an amazing spectacle. At the Number 6 restaurant (opposite Bangkok Bank?) at one o' clock, the small restaurant was not only full, with every seat taken by Chinese, but, despite the persistent drizzle, there were about another 12 to 15 people queuing up outside waiting for seats.

Never witnessed such a thing........even in the "golden years".

I was in Patong early afternoon a couple of days ago.

Saw an amazing spectacle. At the Number 6 restaurant (opposite Bangkok Bank?) at one o' clock, the small restaurant was not only full, with every seat taken by Chinese, but, despite the persistent drizzle, there were about another 12 to 15 people queuing up outside waiting for seats.

Never witnessed such a thing........even in the "golden years".

Back when we lived in Patong 10 years ago we often ate at Number 6 around lunch time - always packed. Happy to hear that it is still popular. Good grub at a reasonable price always wins.

LoL, yes we are talking about Patong :)

So I'll try to have the final word re Patong:

Think that was the owner of the Farang Place on the bypass past Index.

Yes, he was shot dead! But I recall that the owner of #6 Seafood Restaurant was also shot dead...

Other than leaving, is there any positive thing you can say about your visit?

Honestly, no. Sad isn't it? The airport experience was deplorable with a zoo at departures and delay on the tarmac. I was so happy to get out of there and back to Hua Hin.

LoL, yes we are talking about Patong smile.png

So I'll try to have the final word re Patong:

Think that was the owner of the Farang Place on the bypass past Index.

Yes, he was shot dead! But I recall that the owner of #6 Seafood Restaurant was also shot dead...

I am positive I would have remembered such an incident. I have made an extensive Google search and I can find no account of any killing at Number 6 .... over to you.

Ao Por and the whole North Eastern Phuket is getting ever more busier year by year.

If I recall correctly I gave 15 years for Ao Por to get it's first girlie-bar. That was 6 years ago. It seems that we are on schedule. The locals here still keep their stance, but at the end of the day, money talks.

Ao Por is getting it's first condominium for hotel staff. The rumour is that the folks who work for the Six Senses at Koh Yao will have their places to stay at Ao Por. The good is that it will add a bit of life and new possibilities. The bad is that Ao Por will no longer be a sleepy little town somewhere out there.

The road from Bang Rong to Heroines has been hellishly busy for some years. A month ago I experienced traffic jam at Ao Por. There were maybe 6 cars involved. These numbers will sound hilarious in just few years from now. Anyway the traffic is growing exponentially at this part of the island.

Ao Por is getting busier year by year. At the moment we have a lot of through traffic. In few years we'll have more stationary people as well.

Phuket is used up as a tourist spot.
I leave Phuket in 1992 have not regretted one day. Today I live across Europe and has 100 times better than I had in Thailand
"Phuket is used up as a tourist spot." - I think it's more of a case of the locals "used up" the tourists.

I leave Phuket in 1992 have not regretted one day. Today I live across Europe and has 100 times better than I had in Thailand
"Phuket is used up as a tourist spot." - I think it's more of a case of the locals "used up" the tourists.

IMO 95% of the "locals" are great. I feel you base your opinions on a few bad eggs based around the Patong tourist trade. I'm actually leaving Phuket soon but genuinely think the Thai people are great as do most the people i know that live or visit here.

I find most of the Phuket born Thais are fine, it's the vermin that the place attracts from elsewhere that's generally the problem, bit like SOME of the tourists in recent years.

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by SooKee

IMO 95% of the "locals" are great. I feel you base your opinions on a few bad eggs based around the Patong tourist trade. I'm actually leaving Phuket soon but genuinely think the Thai people are great as do most the people i know that live or visit here.

"IMO 95% of the "locals" are great." - can you define "locals?"

The majority of Thai's on Phuket are not registered as living on Phuket, but are "domestic immigrants." That is, they come from elsewhere in Thailand.

"a few bad eggs in Patong based around the tourist trade" - so, only "a few bad eggs" caused the death of Patong, and the rest of Phuket, as per the two threads running at the moment. Wow, that 5% has done a lot of damage to the Phuket tourism industry then. Surely, it would take more than 5% to do such a huge amount of damage.

I would suggest, Patong and Phuket are not "dead" because of " a few bad eggs" but from corrupt farmers, corrupting the chickens, on the whole chicken farm. biggrin.png

I also think Thai people are great, but money plays a big part of the Thai psyche, and when put in a position where they can exploit other nationalities of people where money is not so revered, then you see this characteristic come to the fore in Thai's. It can be entertaining to watch. smile.png

Where are you moving to Peterocket?

Edited by NamKangMan

"IMO 95% of the "locals" are great." - can you define "locals?"

The majority of Thai's on Phuket are not registered as living on Phuket, but are "domestic immigrants." That is, they come from elsewhere in Thailand.

"a few bad eggs in Patong based around the tourist trade" - so, only "a few bad eggs" caused the death of Patong, and the rest of Phuket, as per the two threads running at the moment. Wow, that 5% has done a lot of damage to the Phuket tourism industry then. Surely, it would take more than 5% to do such a huge amount of damage.

I would suggest, Patong and Phuket are not "dead" because of " a few bad eggs" but from corrupt farmers, corrupting the chickens, on the whole chicken farm. biggrin.png

I also think Thai people are great, but money plays a big part of the Thai psyche, and when put in a position where they can exploit other nationalities of people where money is not so revered, then you see this characteristic come to the fore in Thai's. It can be entertaining to watch. smile.png

Where are you moving to Peterocket?

1. Locals in my opinion are people who live there
  2. I don't believe Patong has seen it's death
  3. I believe money plays a big part in nearly everyone's psyche
  4. Panama

@ Peterocket

"Locals in my opinion are people who live there" - if that's the case, most of the Thai's that live on Phuket are from elsewhere, and out of them, most work in the flesh trade, of which, Phuket Thai's profit from, immenseley.

"I don't believe Patong has seen it's death" - ok. When's the last time you have had a night out in Patong? Drinks, dinner, and more drinks, after midnight?

"I believe money plays a big part in nearly everyone's psyche" - sure, but on Phuket, I think you will find it has become so bad it has now effected the tourism industry of the whole island.

"Panama" - interesting. I am researching it, but why are you leaving Phuket / Thailand, given that it's such a great place and all????

As an aside, (and sorry to mention my airport resort for the millionth time), I have now leased it out to a third party, and I'm off in a week to north Thailand for a holiday. Leasing it out means that I'll receive a fixed monthly income from the business and can relax for a while. I actually have little confidence that the new leasees will be able to achieve the profit level that I have been achieving, (I'm happy to be proven wrong).

If they make a good go of it, then I have a nice, regular income and can also work elsewhere. If they screw it all up, then they just hand the business back to me again and I can improve the facilities (install swimming pool, exercise gym) etc to attract guests through differentiation from my competitors (almost all which are 'shophouses' and don't have the garden/land to build these types of facilities).

For quite a few weeks, I've been analysing the booking stats of many hotels and competitors in this locality - gleaned from the data available on the major booking websites. Many guesthouses and small hotels have not had a guest booking for days or even weeks. Many have dropped their room rates to an all-time low. The major Chinese website Ctrip has been contacting many of these hotels to secure cut-throat room rates for Chinese guests.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there is an oversupply of hotel accommodation and an undersupply of tourists to book those rooms. So the hotels commit slow suicide by slashing room rates to a level where they can just about afford to buy Pad Thai each day.

I'll sit back and watch all this from afar coffee1.gif