Patong is dead - but what about the rest of Phuket?

simon43

Seeing what Taina road has become, especially compared to how it was, is heartbreaking.

I agree. 20 years ago it was bustling, with almost no empty units. For the past 8 years it has been in a steady decline with many empty units. In that same time the units on the road opposite the market have at last began to fill up.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I moved, about 4 years ago, to my part of the Chalong foothills, it was a quiet semi rural area.

I had good unspoilt views of farmland and mountain with just a couple of residences pushing the legal height restrictions on the latter. A few inevitable noisy bikes flew past at times, but most noise came from the farmer's roosters.

Fast forward to now, there are probably twice as many houses scattered around on the hill. Many more have sprung up , or are springing up, all around the area below the hill. Large blocks of land on the slopes have been cleared in an effort to sell potential land slip areas to gullible tourists. The extra load on the resource has resulted in my water well drying up in the last two dry seasons. This hasn't happened previously.

This building activity has brought an influx of migrant workers camps whose residents seem to have no concept of sociable, considerate, community living. Rubbish on the roadside has become manifest and muffler-less scooters scream past at all time of the day and night. Drunken shouting echoes around the valley several nights a week and scrawny, feral chickens roam free denuding other people's gardens.

A professional dirt bike track has been carved into a lower part of the hill and this brings noise and dust problems for local residents. As an indication of the number of new residences in the area, I estimate there are now at least 3x as many cables, hung haphazardly, on the lamp poles going past my place as when I arrived here. These are despoiling my previous excellent views.

Additionally, increased traffic, underpasses, hospitals, supermarkets and huge, strange retail outlets have all recently appeared nearby. There is a new, large housing project getting underway on a former rubber tree grove in Soi Yote Sane 1.

There is no indication of decline in my part of the Island.

When I moved, about 4 years ago, to my part of the Chalong foothills, it was a quiet semi rural area.

I had good unspoilt views of farmland and mountain with just a couple of residences pushing the legal height restrictions on the latter. A few inevitable noisy bikes flew past at times, but most noise came from the farmer's roosters.

Fast forward to now, there are probably twice as many houses scattered around on the hill. Many more have sprung up , or are springing up, all around the area below the hill. Large blocks of land on the slopes have been cleared in an effort to sell potential land slip areas to gullible tourists. The extra load on the resource has resulted in my water well drying up in the last two dry seasons. This hasn't happened previously.

This building activity has brought an influx of migrant workers camps whose residents seem to have no concept of sociable, considerate, community living. Rubbish on the roadside has become manifest and muffler-less scooters scream past at all time of the day and night. Drunken shouting echoes around the valley several nights a week and scrawny, feral chickens roam free denuding other people's gardens.

A professional dirt bike track has been carved into a lower part of the hill and this brings noise and dust problems for local residents. As an indication of the number of new residences in the area, I estimate there are now at least 3x as many cables, hung haphazardly, on the lamp poles going past my place as when I arrived here. These are despoiling my previous excellent views.

Additionally, increased traffic, underpasses, hospitals, supermarkets and huge, strange retail outlets have all recently appeared nearby. There is a new, large housing project getting underway on a former rubber tree grove in Soi Yote Sane 1.

There is no indication of decline in my part of the Island.

"There is no indication of decline in my part of the Island." - development of land does not always result in prosperity here, as the last few posts attest to.

Also hear that Swenson ice cream shop in Kata center has closed (not seen with my own eyes yet), with the Pizza Company next door closing soon.

I was a regular visitor, last time 2 weeks ago.

It would not surprise me if they have closed, while I was there there was rarely somebody else.

Also hear that Swenson ice cream shop in Kata center has closed (not seen with my own eyes yet), with the Pizza Company next door closing soon.

Rents too expensive there, I believe. Both part of the same company (Minor Group), as is Coffee Club who are just down the road and from what I've seen usually empty.
Coffee club was gone nearly a year ago and wasnt owned by minor group. Its actually an aussie chain of cafes. They relocated that one to laguna area.

I hadn't noticed Coffee Club had gone, shows how much notice I take, but I am right regarding the ownership.

http://minorfoodgroup.com/aboutus/index.html

• 1 month later...

Another failed business ...

A few days ago I had a problem with my AIS account so off to the AIS place by Lotus just south of Chalong circle ... closed. They only just moved down to the closed bigger book shop.

Now have to go to the big Lotus on Chaofa West before the PTT gas station.

• 4 months later...

Five years ago,  I stayed at Boathouse,  fairly upscale and somehow got on their email list.  This morning I received an offer from them for free airport transfer,  free massage,  free breakfast and discount rates. Not a good sign so quickly after the holidays.  Seems like it should still be high season? 

On 14/08/2016 at 4:58 PM, LivinginKata said:

Another failed business ...

A few days ago I had a problem with my AIS account so off to the AIS place by Lotus just south of Chalong circle ... closed. They only just moved down to the closed bigger book shop.

Now have to go to the big Lotus on Chaofa West before the PTT gas station.

As the Phuket economy contracts, this will be the issue facing all expats here, decreasing choice, options, availability, and locations.  

In general, we will still be able to buy what we want, and have the same services available, however, we may have to travel further for them, pay more for them, and they may not be to the standard we are used to here.