I plan to buy a house in the northern region of Thailand and would ask if anyone could advise me on the permanent running costs ...is there any yearly property tax land tax that have to be paid ? How the average council rates that cover rubbish disposal etc...the city I am planning this is lampang houseprice below 1 million bhat...the second concern that I have is about the ownership papers .. Will I be able to get a blue land book on my name and how to obtain it..my gf has this for her other house and I am on a non immigrant a-o one year visa...any ideas???

@shot...OK but I saw several western foreigners that had bought houses ( as they told me house upcountry not pattaya or bangkok condo )...I never asked them the details as I assumed it can be done...so they dont have blue book ????

Now I am kind of confused...i know blue book means ownership...and what about to build one ??? My gf recommendet me to buy or build one ( she has land in sisaket )....will that self build house be on my name...or on our name (mutual ownership )....??? I am in favour of renting but she strongly opposed that idea as on the long run a ow

N house is better u don't have a landlord = less potential problems...I agree on that but renting leaves one more options especially if want to move away in the future...

No you can not own land on your name.

The blue tabien ban book is not the land ownership paper.

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/thai-house-registration-and-resident-book

You can as a foreigner own an apartment legaly if less then 49% of the building is owned by foreigners.

Search Thaivisa.

Houses "owned by foreigners" are often on the Thai wifes name.

Or grey/illegal route on a company owned partly by the foreigner.

Search Thaivisa. ☺

Edited by brianinbangkok

OK thank u all for the many replays...the only way I see would be to buy the house and make an arrangement for the land...on this stage it would mean way more involvement that I planned..and which seller will undergo the trouble to keep the land only selling the house ? So as a farang i night loose out to other guys just paying and finished ...if i would be a seller i would not start complicated lease arrangements if i only want to sell my building once and for all.....even in case of a lease all contracts are in Thai a very good command of the Thai language incl writing and above average knowledge about the Thai legal system would be mandatory before investing a single bhat.knowledge that is growing by the minute but far far from good..to do it on the gf name ? Well I am not insane nor blue eyed...my gf has plenty of land and hope for me building something there ... I might be able to do a lease arrangement with her but what if we split ?( and my history was always in bad terms endless arguments and fights etc etc never the we remain friends BS) the last thing I want in such a case is to be stuck with a building in her neighbourhood...well I just might rent a place and see how things and the relationship unfolds ..at the moment it looks good..

@blackcab...since the nintys but not lived in and out for business moving a lot average time 3 to 6 weeks ...now here on my first one year non immigrant...met this chick online and as things unfoldet thought check it of longer time in Thailand a country that gave me so much in the past...suddenly she start talking about buying or building a house....

You can not own land in Thailand, if you are not Thai.

This thread should be moved to the "housing, land, etc" forum.

Yes you can. Maybe its not where you want to live, but foreigners can 100% own freehold land in Thailand in particular areas.

Yes you can. Maybe its not where you want to live, but foreigners can 100% own freehold land in Thailand in particular areas.

Love to see some links to that on a Thai government site please. (Or a link to the Thaivisa thread about it)

For building a home on , not a factory owned by a big multi national in an industrial park.

Edited by brianinbangkok

I like to add that I have also have read online about being allowed to own land

2.3 Investment: Thai real estate law allows foreigners to buy and own a limited amount of land based on an investment of 40 million baht for five consecutive years, provided that the land is used for residential purposes.

http://www.thailand-lawyer.com/land_purchase.html

So all you need is to do is invest 40 Million bath for 5 years , every year, so invest 200 Million bath....Yep

Still never heard of anybody actually having done this here on Thai visa in the last 10 years...

Edited by brianinbangkok

I plan to buy a house in the northern region of Thailand and would ask if anyone could advise me on the permanent running costs ...is there any yearly property tax land tax that have to be paid ? How the average council rates that cover rubbish disposal etc...the city I am planning this is lampang houseprice below 1 million bhat...the second concern that I have is about the ownership papers .. Will I be able to get a blue land book on my name and how to obtain it..my gf has this for her other house and I am on a non immigrant a-o one year visa...any ideas???

Buy a nice condo , that is possible on your name, if you do get married in future , get prenup , make sure it stays on only your name.

Love to see some links to that on a Thai government site please. (Or a link to the Thaivisa thread about it)

For building a home on , not a factory owned by a big multi national in an industrial park.

Foreigners can buy land freehold on Industrial Estates Governed by the IEAT. As i said in my original post 'maybe its not where you want to live'- my post was pointing out that Shot's post was legally incorrect.

2.3 Investment: Thai real estate law allows foreigners to buy and own a limited amount of land based on an investment of 40 million baht for five consecutive years, provided that the land is used for residential purposes.

So all you need is to do is invest 40 Million bath for 5 years , every year, so invest 200 Million bath....Yep

Still never heard of anybody actually having done this here on Thai visa in the last 10 years...

It's 40 million baht in total. You need to have a BOI company and the 40 million needs to be maintained for 3 years. After 3 years you overcome the first hurdle (so at this point the same as the 10m baht investment extension of stay).

However you now can only own up to 1 rai, it has to be in specified areas and it would help greatly if you were friends with the Minister of the Interior because they have to authorise each request.

Just to add, even if you got to own 1 rai, the ownership is limited to you alone. The land can not be inherited, and it must be sold after you die (ie to a Thai person).

A fantastic bargain, which is why nobody does it.

It's 40 million baht in total. You need to have a BOI company and the 40 million needs to be maintained for 3 years. After 3 years you overcome the first hurdle (so at this point the same as the 10m baht investment extension of stay).

However you now can only own up to 1 rai, it has to be in specified areas and it would help greatly if you were friends with the Minister of the Interior because they have to authorise each request.

Just to add, even if you got to own 1 rai, the ownership is limited to you alone. The land can not be inherited, and it must be sold after you die (ie to a Thai person).

A fantastic bargain, which is why nobody does it.

Only 40 Million bath its even cheaper then I thought.

Indeed a real bargain :)

But as it stands not something open to 99.99% of the foreigners here.

Foreigners can buy land freehold on Industrial Estates Governed by the IEAT. As i said in my original post 'maybe its not where you want to live'- my post was pointing out that Shot's post was legally incorrect.

Legally incorrect indeed I agree.

But for all practical purposes the answer to question of the OP is a foreigner can not own land in Thailand.

If you build on her land get a 30 year lease then she can't throw you out.if you split up you can offer he half if you sell or tell her to wait until the lease runs out in 2046.guarateed she will take the cash as it'll be money for nothing.

For practical purpose for just about all farengs you cannot own the land. You can own the building that is on the land and have such registered in the land office. Most realistic for most farengs is to have the land owned (registered at land office) by the wife, you have to sign paper at land office that you have no ownership or financial interest in that land. The advice about company owning is not legal and can be voided by the gov't at the drop of a hat. Your best protection is to have wife execute a usufruct giving you unlimited use of the property.

@kbb...this was my original question...as many countrys collect a property tax from land owners.../on a permanent base collected yearly or monthly /..so i wanted to find out about it to estimate the permanent cost of ownership ( connected that question with the question about average councilrates for rubbish disposal and and and )..the answers i got showed me that landownership is not really possible rather a lease agreement so in this case the question about property tax is obsolete as if any the landowner needs to pay it..indirectly this comes to me / us as if i would lease the land off my gf we would pay this together...she is not sure / aware about rates and / or taxes as her dad manages her property and this man do not spk english at all....

For practical purpose for just about all farengs you cannot own the land. You can own the building that is on the land and have such registered in the land office. Most realistic for most farengs is to have the land owned (registered at land office) by the wife, you have to sign paper at land office that you have no ownership or financial interest in that land. The advice about company owning is not legal and can be voided by the gov't at the drop of a hat. Your best protection is to have wife execute a usufruct giving you unlimited use of the property.

You can't own a house as a foreigner, but the company scheme is 100% legal and typical in Thailand

For the O.P. Land tax is cheap. I pay it on two parcels my wife owns. You can pay five years at a time. They have a ledger book. I bring her land paper the first time and it was 116 baht a YEAR. I paid for five years. That was was just under one rai in a proper Buriram municipality | Amphur. I pay less LAND TAX per rai on a parcel in my wife's name in a village. It is not zoned farm land. I own a home. The "permit to build" is in my name. The contract with the builder is in my name. The PEA is in my name. The other utilities ar ein my name. My name is listed as the owner on the approved building plans. My name is listed as the owner on the home owners insurance. All the same on a smaller sensible house in a village are in my wife's name. She has a blue book in a village for her home and I have a yellow house book for the home I own. Now in a divorce I would have zero rights to any land. It would be messy, so better to not tempt fate. We do have a pre-nup.

For the O.P. I have never lived in a housing estate so I can not speak of the yearly fees. That might vary from estate to estate and God forbid you live in an estate where home owners do NOT honor the dues. Street lights go out, community pool gets drained, grass goes uncut, guards do not show up, and the estate get run down very fast.

Did you build your house yourself ?....How much money I would need to get something decent ? I was told with 600000 bhat be ok my wife had one build for her parents several years ago two rooms big hall kitchen in the back..lools quiet solid...was 600000 bhat ..

I had a Buriram Building Contractor build one house. I had "family and local village men" build a smaller sensible village one bedroom house. I spent more than 350,000 to have electricity run to the home and a 3 phase transformer. I spent more than 700,000 on tempered windows in the larger home. I spent under 400,000 total for a sensible one bedroom home including the kitchen with Teka cooktop, Teka sink, Samsung 18,000 BTU air conditioner. The two homes are not comparable, nor anywhere near the same size. I have seen homes built for under 300,000 without air conditioning. There is a "Government House Plan Book" that shows estimate building costs. I believe this book is also available on line. Both homes have home owners insurance. Both renters insurance and home owners insurance are very affordable in Thailand. Home insurance is more affordable if you pay three years of the annual premium in advance.

I had a Buriram Building Contractor build one house. I had "family and local village men" build a smaller sensible village one bedroom house. I spent more than 350,000 to have electricity run to the home and a 3 phase transformer. I spent more than 700,000 on tempered windows in the larger home. I spent under 400,000 total for a sensible one bedroom home including the kitchen with Teka cooktop, Teka sink, Samsung 18,000 BTU air conditioner. The two homes are not comparable, nor anywhere near the same size. I have seen homes built for under 300,000 without air conditioning. There is a "Government House Plan Book" that shows estimate building costs. I believe this book is also available on line. Both homes have home owners insurance. Both renters insurance and home owners insurance are very affordable in Thailand. Home insurance is more affordable if you pay three years of the annual premium in advance. [/quot

Great thanks for the information...all that would resemble the cost of a new middle class car in europe about 10 to 25000 euros...if u live there w. Ur wife and something goes wrong u dont loose too much....a small wooden garden weekend hut back home costs at least double...

I also wonder how the dayly life would look like in rural thailand ...? I guess farangs so to say like urself that live fulltime and a long time would have mastered a decent amount of the thai language...in bkk and other big citys or beach areas i never really had problems with english but when i went up isaan i realised that for the smallest thing to accomplish ( talking with other fam members or making a mc drivers license ) i ALLWAYS need her to assist me...so to make friends hang out with thais or discussing life the language is essential....do you keep a garden / run a farm ??? How is rural life on the long run ?