Furnishing a house

stament

We need to furnish a modern house we are buying. In the UK I would probably go to Ikea or maybe get some decent second hand sofas or something.

Here in CM I hear people go to HomePro, Concept and Index. What are these like in terms of prices and quality? Are there any other places people can recommend. Not sure I want to venture down to BKK to Ikea as the cost of 2 return flights and all the messing about probably wouldn't make the trip worthwhile.

Any recommendations? Also need white goods, tv, etc, etc.

Baan Tawai off 108 - Hang Dong Rd...Real furniture - real wood....Teak & hardwoods....Not the pressboard crap like the box stores have - stuff that will last & look good.....

Shops also line the street that approaches Baan Tawai near 108 & those can be less expensive.....Take a day & a smart phone for instant memory & explore and bargain....

There's one shop in BT that has real reasonable pricing + has made pieces for us in 2-3 days....

PM me if interested & I will attempt to direct you to her.....

Our household furniture is mostly teak along with some lanna style....Makes a nice mix....

I've looked at Homepro, Index etc and found that the high price tag isn't matched by the quality. This has been borne out by visiting friends houses, the stuff looks great when new, but the sofa's and chairs aren't quite so fresh looking or comfortable after a couple of years of use, even some of the 100K plus sofa sets.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Perfect Furniture on the 3029, halfway between BigC/HomePro and Global, have a different range of furniture to all others.

HomePro for electronics and whitegoods are good on after-sales service. Beware of buying any lazyboy type seating at Index as it's cheaply made (look underneath) although tables, chairs and cabinets are generally ok. Index and HomePro also have modular storage systems similar to IKEA.

Baan Tawai factory outlets (not the tourist shops) for wooden coffee tables, sideboards etc.

Baan&Beyond have different stocks but mainly homewares.

Baan Tawai off 108 - Hang Dong Rd...Real furniture - real wood....Teak & hardwoods....Not the pressboard crap like the box stores have - stuff that will last & look good.....

Shops also line the street that approaches Baan Tawai near 108 & those can be less expensive.....Take a day & a smart phone for instant memory & explore and bargain....

There's one shop in BT that has real reasonable pricing + has made pieces for us in 2-3 days....

Our household furniture is mostly teak along with some lanna style....Makes a nice mix....

You can not furnish modern house with Baan Tawai style furniture.

I agree that those are really good quality made from a real wood, but it looks rather classic and oldschool. Best suitable for Thai style teak houses, or hauses decorated in the classic way.

In the UK I would probably go to Ikea or maybe get some decent second hand sofas or something.---OP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's reckoned the film "The Wolf of Wall Street" broke a record by using the word "<deleted>" or "F**king" 506 times.---That does actually just beat the record set by my wife & I, trying to put our first Ikea sofa together.

I agree that those are really good quality made from a real wood, but it looks rather classic and oldschool. Best suitable for Thai style teak houses, or hauses decorated in the classic way.

Actually our house leans toward the modern & the pieces we've chosen match & stylishly contrast nicely....

Plus you can have about anything made to suit if you draw it out or have pictures & dimensions......

In the UK I would probably go to Ikea or maybe get some decent second hand sofas or something.---OP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's reckoned the film "The Wolf of Wall Street" broke a record by using the word "<deleted>" or "F**king" 506 times.---That does actually just beat the record set by my wife & I, trying to put our first Ikea sofa together.

Good job you both never bought anything from MFI then! Ikea are a dream compared to them! Always bits missing.

Ikea and second hand furniture translates to "you don't have high standards" That's what we did when we were students. What I'm saying is that is shouldn't be a challenge to furnish a house with low to medium quality furniture. There is a plethora of students type furniture shops in the area.

Disagree with Baan Tawai not having furniture to suit modern homes.

I've seen plenty of modern timber productions there.

However the key would be minimalistic and clutter free, with bespoke soft furnishings to compliment.

Not sure if you could handle that with Mrs Stament and the kids biggrin.png

Ikea and second hand furniture translates to "you don't have high standards" That's what we did when we were students. What I'm saying is that is shouldn't be a challenge to furnish a house with low to medium quality furniture. There is a plethora of students type furniture shops in the area.

Probably not so much that more the money factor! Plus when I said previously I had bought second hand it was very expensive good second hand leather sofas from a friend and on another occasion a very nice armchair from an auction.

I'm not adverse to second hand if its quality but some things I would not generally buy second hand such as mattresses or white goods. As for Ikea I quite like the style but some of the items I wouldn't buy such as diming room tables because its not real solid wood. For this I think a thai teak table works best and I believe like a member posted here, that it is perfectly possible to mix thai and modern style furniture together.

One last point is that Mrs Stament is very cost conscious and wouldn't agree to spending too much on what she views as core items! For example, Ikea bunk beds will be more than fine as would an Ikea style tv unit and bed side table.

I would prefer built-in wardrobes myself. On this point I do feel its worth paying extra for these as opposed to the free standing. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Thanks for all the useful comments so far. Paul good to hear from you as always.

Probably not so much that more the money factor! Plus when I said previously I had bought second hand it was very expensive good second hand leather sofas from a friend and on another occasion a very nice armchair from an auction.

I'm not adverse to second hand if its quality but some things I would not generally buy second hand such as mattresses or white goods. As for Ikea I quite like the style but some of the items I wouldn't buy such as diming room tables because its not real solid wood. For this I think a thai teak table works best and I believe like a member posted here, that it is perfectly possible to mix thai and modern style furniture together.

One last point is that Mrs Stament is very cost conscious and wouldn't agree to spending too much on what she views as core items! For example, Ikea bunk beds will be more than fine as would an Ikea style tv unit and bed side table.

I would prefer built-in wardrobes myself. On this point I do feel its worth paying extra for these as opposed to the free standing. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Thanks for all the useful comments so far. Paul good to hear from you as always.

"I would prefer built-in wardrobes myself. On this point I do feel its worth paying extra for these as opposed to the free standing. Can anyone recommend anywhere?"

Stop being a desk jockey and build them yourself, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQhx8XouJn0

Mrs Stament and the boys will think your the bees knees.

Paul,

You clearly haven't seen my DIY skills in person. I struggle with Ikea wardrobes!

I never do anything DIY related besides changing plugs and light bulbs!

You struggle with ice cube making?

If you need any rugs, check out 'Carpets Inter' on the Mahidol Road. It'll be on your left roughly one kilometer before Central Airport junction if you're coming from the superhighway. They have a sale once or twice a year, so ask them when to get the best prices.

For furniture, I can only add SB Furniture inside most Home Pros. All the other usual suspects have been mentioned.

We have a mixture of good quality furniture and cheaper furniture bought from markets and small stores in our house.

If you want the real Monty, the good stuff that when people visit your home they think, this is a rich bustards house, then buy from SB Furniture. If your not too fussy then buy from Home Mart or Index.

http://www.sb-furniture.com/index_en.aspx

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/210990-index-vs-sb-furniture/