Building Iraq

Goat Roper

Subject: VERY Interesting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether you like him or not, this is interesting.

The Buildings That

AREN'T Burning In Iraq

"They have a saying in the news business," Geraldo Rivera

related this week. "Reporters don't report buildings that

don't burn." And with that introduction, he told a TV

audience about the story that is being systematically

denied to our entire nation: the success story of

post-Saddam Iraq.

Are we losing some soldiers each week?

Yes.

Is there some frustration in the public

about electricity and waterservice?

Yes.

Are some Saddam Hussein loyalists

throughout the land, making trouble?

Yes.

Has this opened a window for some terrorist mischief?

Yes.

But that's ALL we hear. No wonder the country is

in a mixed mood about Iraq. If you hear about the

buildings that are not burning, though, it is a

different story indeed.

Rivera is no shill for George W. Bush. But Bush, Condi

Rice and Colin Powell together could not have been as

effective as Geraldo was Thursday night on the Fox

News Channel's Hannity and Colmes program.

"When I got to Baghdad, I barely recognized it,"

he began, comparing his just-completed trip

to two others he made during and just after the

battle to topple Saddam. "You have over 30,000

Iraqi cops and militiamen already on the job.

This is four months after major fighting stopped.

Can you imagine that kind of gearing up in this country?

Law and order is better; archaeological sites are being

preserved; factories, schools are being guarded."

But what about the secondhand griping that the media

have been so efficiently relating about power, water

and other infrastructure?

"To say that Iraq is being rebuilt is not true," answered

Rivera. "Iraq is being built. There was no infrastructure

before; we are doing it. I just think the good news is being

underestimated and underreported." At this juncture, one

must evaluate how to feel about the voices telling us only

about the bad news in Iraq, whether from the mouths of

news anchors or Democratic presidential hopefuls. At

best, they are underinformed. At worst, their one-sided

assessments of post-Saddam Iraq are intentional

falsehoods for obvious reasons.

If I hear one more person mock that "Mission Accomplished"

banner beneath which President Bush thanked a shipload

of sailors and Marines a few months back, I'm going to spit.

That was a reference to the ouster of Saddam's regime, and

that mission was indeed accomplished, apparently to the great

chagrin of the American left. No one said what followed would

be easy or cheap, and that's why the dripping-water torture of

the cost and casualty stories is so infuriating.

Remember we pay our soldiers whether they are in Iraq

or in Ft Bragg, North Carolina.

We should all mourn the loss of every fallen soldier.

But context cries out to be heard. Our present news media

is not performing this task. As some dare to wonder if this

might become a Vietnam-like quagmire, I'll remind whoever

needs it that most of our 58,000 Vietnam war toll died between

1966 and 1972, during which we lost an average of about 8,000

per year. That's about 22 per day, every day,

for thousands of days on end.

Let us hear NO MORE Vietnam comparisons.

They do not equate.

What I hope to hear is more truth, even if we have to

wrench it from the mouths of the media and political

hacks predisposed to bash the remarkable job we are

doing every day in what was not so long ago a totalitarian

wasteland. Local elections are under way across Iraq,

Rivera reported. "Where Kurds and Arabs have been

battling for decades, things have been settling down.

Administrator Paul Bremer is doing a great job."

So does Geraldo think his media colleagues are intentionally

painting withone side of the brush?

"I'm not into conspiracy theories, ... but there's just more

bang for your buck when you report the GI who got killed

rather than the 99 who didn't get killed; who make friends,

who helped schedule elections; who helped shops get open

for business; who helped traffic flow again.

"The vast majority of Iraqis are very happy to have us

there. I would like to see a bit more balance." This

needs to be reported to the American Public who are

presently being duped. I expect the dominant media

culture to nitpick and attack Bush, and Democrats to

blast him with reckless abandon. But when that leads

to the willful exclusion of facts that would shine truthful

light on the great work of the American armed forces,

that level of malice plumbs new depths.

If you have a friend that is looking for the truth .

pass this on.

__

Sorry but I'm not in the mood for an argument today; too much work to do and I've got a nasty cold.

I was genuinely under the impression that topics were supposed to be Thai related.

So please don't get huffy on me Goatee, I enjoyed our session yesterday. :o

Sorry Goatee, what's the relevance to LOS?  :o

Too deep for you stocky?

I just go to thinking, you are absolutely like some of the aholes I have bounced out of bars, you just can't keep your mouth shut. I would hate to be as miserable as you seem to be.

Oh Goatee I do like it when you talk rough :D

Stocky are you the guy I knocked the crap out of two weeks ago in Goldfinger's on Patpong? Somehow I feel you are trying me again. If you are the guy( I go by Goat Roper at Goldfingers also) I'll try to do a better job next time. :o

Stocky are you the guy I knocked the crap out of two weeks ago in Goldfinger's on Patpong? Somehow I feel you are trying me again. If you are the guy( I go by Goat Roper at Goldfingers also) I'll try to do a better job next time. :o

Not me.

I'm at work in Russia and you wouldn't find me in Patpong when I'm in LOS.

I truly am sorry if I get your goat :D

hi'

as some said it's completly out of board ... see bear-pit etc ... blablabla

BUT ...

It's relevance to Thailand is that it shows that America's involvement in Iraq is having positive results and, like most of us, our fearless leader likes to be on the winning side. In other words, don't withdraw Thai troops from Iraq!
where have you seen a better?

positive results, where ?

and considering the war overthere, they (the Thai army) should come back home before to have to claim for their first casualty ....

Stocky are you the guy I knocked the crap out of two weeks ago in Goldfinger's on Patpong? Somehow I feel you are trying me again. If you are the guy( I go by Goat Roper at Goldfingers also) I'll try to do a better job next time.

violence is a lack of vocabulary.

you don't talk rough, you talk with violence in your words ...

did you have a bad morning or something?

keep it cool and out of here ... better :o

francois

Not me.

I'm at work in Russia and you wouldn't find me in Patpong when I'm in LOS.

I truly am sorry if I get your goat :D

Yea you are correct Stocky, Patpong is a bad place to be, no offense intended, just testing you this morning. :D:D

Is working in China that bad, Thaihome,...? :o

You ever been in China for long time? Read this article, it is pretty accurate. Living in China It just wears me down like no place has before.

Besides, you need to keep track of what is out there. If working in Iraq would cut down the time to retirement by a couple of years, I would do it. At least I would have until recently. :D

TH

• 2 weeks later...

Right,Should have killed all of em.

Goat Roper, don't let the frenchman get any of your goats, member when they changed the name of french fries to freedom fries in the USA, and also member the reason?

I thought that your article was very welcome,

Bronco,I didn't know how many they had lost in IRAQ and I also have no idea how many they lost while fighting with the J.I.A. from 1938 til 1946.

All about USA. Thought it was a coalition. If the article did more to mention the coalition then it would have some relevance to Thailand. It is an interesting article but should be somewhere else.

It is about the coalition and I salute each person and every part of the coalition.

All about USA. Thought it was a coalition. If the article did more to mention the coalition then it would  have some relevance to Thailand.  It is an interesting article but should be somewhere else.

It is about the coalition and I salute each person and every part of the coalition.

I thought this stuff was for the bear pit.......... If these threads are not stopped soon, I will start posting as well - George and the DR, you have banned people for less (no I am not asking for a banning), where is the balance and consistancy?

All about USA. Thought it was a coalition. If the article did more to mention the coalition then it would  have some relevance to Thailand.  It is an interesting article but should be somewhere else.

I thought this stuff was for the bear pit.......... If these threads are not stopped soon, I will start posting as well - George and the DR, you have banned people for less (no I am not asking for a banning), where is the balance and consistancy?

What's a "Bear Pit"? Sounds good to me, he11 let's go!

www.bearpit.net off you go mate, you should feel at home!

First of all I'm not your mate and secondly I get bored as he11 with all these sudo grade school hall monitors like you that open threads with topics they don't agree with and then go bitchin about what is posted there. We have Admins for monitoring what is posted here, let them do their job, my hat is off to them all for doing a good and balanced job here. You don't agree with the postings, that is your business but leave the rest of us to <deleted> alone. :o

First of all I'm not your mate and secondly I get bored as he11 with all these sudo grade school hall monitors like you that open threads with topics they don't agree with and then go bitchin about what is posted there. We have Admins for monitoring what is posted here, let them do their job, my hat is off to them all for doing a good and balanced job here. You don't agree with the postings, that is your business but leave the rest of us to <deleted> alone. :o

well you have been here two weeks, I wasnt attacking you and you dont know the history regarding the bear pit, dont flame me sh=it breath!

I am not being a hall monitor, the bear pit was set up, so you can voice you pro killing <deleted>........... some one point out the history to this anti Muslim, Pro Bush idiot!

Don't pay him no attn. GOAT, He just pissed off cause he posted a lot of shit that was moved or he was warned and sent out to play a couple of times,so now he thinks that he is a rest room monitor and can't get over it.

Some folks got the idea that they important enough to a forum that they should have unlimited privs. and always screaming and giving orders that no one listens to. :o

I have got a couple of long recesses myself,but they do have mods. here and they do a fair job,and they are running it and do well enough with out any advise from me. It is their forum,and if I don't like whats goin on then I can go somewhere else to play instead of showing my ass for all to see,maybe he needs to go back to kindergarten and start all over. :D