Difficulty obtaining O non-immigrant visa

1900 Bht for the 60 day extension and no proof of income is required

UK passports are reported to be taking 3-4 weeks to process and when available have to be collect from the office in Bangkok.

It is extremely unlikely you will be allowed entry to Laos with less than 6 months validity remaining on the passport.

More like 2 to 3 weeks in recent reports.

I am pleased to learn that!

My passport will need renewing next month. It is always worth renewing in good time and the UK will allow up to 9 month 'unused' validity to be added to the new passport.

• Like 2

So Joe, you really think (sorry maybe that should be a "you know") that with only 5 and a half months (16th Nov) I will have serious problems. As I was planning to leave early tomorrow, I'd have to cancel my hotel in Savannakhet and go instead to Kap Choeng on Monday. I was planning to go to Bangkok for a new passport in August, but from what you say I'd have to go maybe the end of June - I've no idea, but how long does it take for a new UK passport to come back do you have to go again to Bangkok or is it delivered to your door ?? Finally, what do they charge for a 60 day extension ? - sorry Joe, so many questions, I'm still learning the tricks of the expat trade, so your advice is most warmly welcomed.

And finally finally - will Immigration at Kap Cheong require proof of income > 40,000 Baht a month ? if so then I'm really really in the pooh.

Cheers Joe

I am certain you would not be allowed entry to Laos. Plus you probably would not be allowed to apply for a visa at the consulate.

August would of been to late even if you got the visa. All neighboring countries require 6 months validity and I assume you planned on getting a multiple entry visa which would make it hard to get a another entry from the visa.

You have to pick up the passport unless you know somebody in Bangkok that could do it for you and send it by EMS.

No financial proof is needed to get the 60 day extension.

• Like 1

UK passports are reported to be taking 3-4 weeks to process and when available have to be collect from the office in Bangkok.

It is extremely unlikely you will be allowed entry to Laos with less than 6 months validity remaining on the passport.

I am pleased to learn that!

My passport will need renewing next month. It is always worth renewing in good time and the UK will allow up to 9 month 'unused' validity to be added to the new passport.

Now I know, thanks guys. Maybe I won't be around to need a renewal in 2026, but I'll try and remember, as long as dementia doesn't get me first ?

Thanks ubonjoe and everyone who replied.

Can conversions be done in Chiang Mai?

I will need income affidavits from Canada and the US. I might be able to obtain them from the Ecuador based consuls offices before I leave. Do they need to be notarized?

If so will Ecuadorean notaries be valid?

If you have bank statements from Canada showing your pension deposit the honorary Canadian

consulate will give you a letter here in Chiang Mai with proof of said statement. Also with proof of said bank statement the Canadian embassy in Bangkok with give you a general letter stating they have seen your proof of income. With 3 pensions you might have to have do proof from the USA and Canada to reach the 65,000 baht a month figure. The US also has a consulate here in CM. Ubon Joe here gives the best advice he knows his onions.

Apparently, along with the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok, there is also a Canadian Consulate in Chiang Mai, although during my time there, I never paid it a visit. Anyone familiar with it? And would they also do the bank proof statement for a Canadian there?

If so... then a Canadian in Chiang Mai would not have to do the trip to the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.

I handed my application for a new UK passport in on 12th May and got it back on 26th May, total time 14 days, although they still quote 6 to 8 weeks at time of application to cover themselves.

I'll make it a simple question.

Has anyone arrived in Thailand on a tourist visa, converted it to a non-immigrant visa and then a retirement visa without leaving Thailand?

That is all the info i require right now. Due to my rather complicated situation obtaining a non Immi visa before I arrive will be difficult.

The answer is YES. you can do non o without leaving Thailand while on tourist visa.

I did.