The difference a day makes

Thanks John.

So when I come I will be on O visa. The 12 month 'retirement' extension is simply an extension of that original O visa. As someone retiring to Thailand you are simply a visitor on a perpetual 12 month granted stay.

Thanks John.

So when I come I will be on O visa. The 12 month 'retirement' extension is simply an extension of that original O visa. As someone retiring to Thailand you are simply a visitor on a perpetual 12 month granted stay.

It is an extension of the 90 day permit to stay you get from the non-o visa on entry,

• Like 1

I get it. The visa is my permission of entry into the country, the subsequent stamps are my allowable period of stay.

I have been to Thailand many many times, and travelled the world, so i understand visas, Im just trying to clarify the process in my head because ppl use the terms visa, retirement, extensions, etc to cover various topics (often incorrectly).

I get it. The visa is my permission of entry into the country, the subsequent stamps are my allowable period of stay.

I have been to Thailand many many times, and travelled the world, so i understand visas, Im just trying to clarify the process in my head because ppl use the terms visa, retirement, extensions, etc to cover various topics (often incorrectly).

A visa (from the Latin charta visa, meaning "paper which has been seen") is a conditional authorization granted by a country (typically to a foreigner) to enter and temporarily remain within, or to leave that country. Visas typically include limits on the duration of the foreigner's stay, territory within the country they may enter, the dates they may enter, or the number of permitted visits. Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter a country and thus are, in some countries, distinct from actual formal permission for an alien to enter and remain in the country. In each instance, a visa is subject to entry permission by an immigration official at the time of actual entry and can be revoked at any time.

Source: Wikipedia

• Like 1

And you were very fortunate to get a VES at Maesai .

They normally dont let you leave Thailand unless you have a Visa to come back on

I was wondering about that. I really should give a shout out to the Immigration folks at Mae Sai. They were very nice to me. I speak some Thai now and I spoke to three different staff people and the first question they all asked was "How long have you been in Thailand?" Ten years, I answered, and that seemed to help. I don't know, they were sympathetic and concerned but had to follow the rules.

If you are living in Chiang Mai you could convert your visa exempt entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration if you do it before the you have 15 days remaining on your entry. Then apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of that entry.

If you are not in CM you could do the conversion in Bangkok but it would take two trips to get the visa/entry stamps 15 days apart.

If you cannot do the conversion your best option would be to go to Vientiane for a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. KL will not do one. Hong Kong might do one.

Immigration will accept a income letter that is up to 6 months.

You could of already applied for the extension. You could of done it during the last 30 days of any of the 90 entries you got from your visa. You do not have to wait for the visa to expire.

Yup. I am stubborn. But after going all the way to Savannakhet from CM for the non-O for marriage I wanted to get my money's worth. Illogical, I know.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no "retirement visa"

If you want to remain in Thailand as a retiree you must first obtain a Non imm "O" visa based on being aged 50 +. You will have to evidence 800K Bht in a Thai bank or a certified monthly income of 65k Bht to get the visa.

An "extension of stay based on retirement" (it is not a visa) can then be applied for during the last 30 days of the 90 the visa will allow.

The best places to apply for the visa would be Penang or Vientiane.

I'm back--to this thread, that is--not from my visa run, which will commence shortly. I am quoting johnatong just to remind myself of the proper terminology. Someone posted in a Chiang Mai forum thread I started a while back that she tried showing up early, following the rules, but was denied a 90-day extension of stay based on retirement. They told her to hire an agent so she went to one and was quoted 12,000 so I'm off to KL and then Penang. I'm going to KL to see friends and then to Penang for the 90-day extension. Boy wouldn't it be nice if I could get it in KL and save myself a trip to Penang. Has anyone had any luck in KL recently?

Anyway, I have:

American passport

and

statement of income from American Embassy dated January 14

Is that all I need in Malaysia? No residence certificate?

This is what my visa agent in CM wrote me today. Can anyone confirm for Penang?

1. income paper from your embassy

2. Laos visa application (Malay for Penang, I assume)

3. copy of your passport

4. photo put on application

5. Rental contact

1. Your income affidavit that is dated for January may not be accepted. Immigration will accept them that are up to 6 months old but not sure the consulate will accept it. It would be best to get a new one before making the trip since by the time you apply for the extension at immigration it will be to old.

2. It would be a copy of Lao visa on arrival not the application. Penang does not ask for a copy of entry stamp for Malaysia (no visa needed for entry)

5. Not needed for Vientiane or Penang.

In reply to your previous post KL will only do a non-o visa for Malaysians or legal residents for being 50 or over.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from Penang. I just got my passport back from the agent. Success! I got my 90-day Non-O.

It cost 300 to the consulate and 70 to the agent.

Joe, I did get a new income affidavit from the American Embassy in Chiang Mai before my trip--thanks for that advice.

So, all I needed was photos (two, I think), passport, and the income affidavit. The agent insisted on taking my bank book, too,

even though it showed only about 100,000 baht in it--he didn't look very bright--maybe just a gofer.

Another prominent visa guesthouse, Banana, emailed me before my trip that I needed 400,000 in my bank account. I assume they

were confused and steered clear of them. That amount would be for marriage, right?

• Like 1