Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would almost be unusual to live in Pattaya if you are interested in Thai culture.

There's more to Thai culture than temples and religion. It's the seedier side of Thai culture which makes Pattaya so popular. It's actually all over Thailand if you care to look, it's just marketed differently in Pattaya.

As much as i love living here.

I consider Thailand, mostly Morally Bankrupt.

they will sell there grandmother twice over.

Crazy government, total corruption on all levels.

Do i care about there culture, not so much now days

after 20 years, i have seen enough so called culture.

Think Thailand needs to raise the bar a bit and stop hiding behind the Face BS.

its a massive stumbling block for them, but again that would require

the ability to except responsibility for there actions and non actions.

One day maybe.

cant talk all day, im off to the Wat for some lottery numbers wai2.gif

After living here for 11 years I'm less interested in Thai culture than when I first arrived. I'm bored with the food, have no interest in Buddhism (or any religion for that matter) and as for the politics and blind worship of... Luckily my family is from Laos.

The OP did not ask for opinions about the Thai culture good or bad. The OP writes, "This is in the Pattaya forum, but expats in other cities who want to discuss living in Thailand while have almost NO interest in Thai culture"

​I read the OP and I didn't think he was asking for the erudite Thai Visa membership to give us all a moral judgement of Thai culture he was simply looking for people to agree with him that living in a foreign country and staying mentally based in your home country is not ethnocentric, xenophobic, parochial or any of those other words that most intelligent people would describe living in a foreign country but pretending to be home.

I would submit that those posts slagging off the Thai culture from the usual people who slag off the Thai culture are off topic and should be moved to the slagging off Thai forum.

I would think that what is Thai culture is the first thing that needs to be defined before anyone can make a judgment about the rightness or wrongness of being interested in it.

In Pattaya Thai culture involves speaking Thai/Issan/Lao. Buddhism, Thai food, hookers (Thai tradition since the 1500's supplying wives/girlfriend experience to French and Portuguese sailing ships in Ayutthaya) Luktung Music, Morlum and Carabao and many more things. Pattaya has a very active Thai culture for those who have not visited.

I'd have to answer the OP's general question with the golden rule. How would he like it if people came to his country and did the same thing as the expats are doing in Thailand without bothering to learn about the local culture and/or language? Arabs for example? Is it OK for the Chinese to act like they do at home? Spitting and eating habits and general demeanor? Or should the Chinese pay attention to the Thai culture?

The OP did not ask for opinions about the Thai culture good or bad. The OP writes, "This is in the Pattaya forum, but expats in other cities who want to discuss living in Thailand while have almost NO interest in Thai culture"
​I read the OP and I didn't think he was asking for the erudite Thai Visa membership to give us all a moral judgement of Thai culture he was simply looking for people to agree with him that living in a foreign country and staying mentally based in your home country is not ethnocentric, xenophobic, parochial or any of those other words that most intelligent people would describe living in a foreign country but pretending to be home.
I would submit that those posts slagging off the Thai culture from the usual people who slag off the Thai culture are off topic and should be moved to the slagging off Thai forum.
I would think that what is Thai culture is the first thing that needs to be defined before anyone can make a judgment about the rightness or wrongness of being interested in it.
In Pattaya Thai culture involves speaking Thai/Issan/Lao. Buddhism, Thai food, hookers (Thai tradition since the 1500's supplying wives/girlfriend experience to French and Portuguese sailing ships in Ayutthaya) Luktung Music, Morlum and Carabao and many more things. Pattaya has a very active Thai culture for those who have not visited.
I'd have to answer the OP's general question with the golden rule. How would he like it if people came to his country and did the same thing as the expats are doing in Thailand without bothering to learn about the local culture and/or language? Arabs for example? Is it OK for the Chinese to act like they do at home? Spitting and eating habits and general demeanor? Or should the Chinese pay attention to the Thai culture?

I think you'll find a lot of long stay expats are not interested in Thai culture because they don't like it. This thread is a perfect place to make one's feelings about Thai culture and Pattaya known.

I've gone the same way as the OP, but it didn't happen overnight.

If you call it "slagging off", you're biased. I call it making observations about the negative aspects of Thai culture. A lot of people are coming to the conclusion that the bad outweighs the good...

This thread has garnered 7 pages of comments for a reason.

I think you'll find a lot of long stay expats are not interested in Thai culture because they don't like it. This thread is a perfect place to make one's feelings about Thai culture and Pattaya known.

If you call it "slagging off", you're biased. I call it making observations about the negative aspects of Thai culture. A lot of people are coming to the conclusion that the bad outweighs the good...

Is the topic, "A Western view of Thai culture?" If it is you are correct. If the topic is, " is it wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture." Then there are seven pages of off topic posts. The OP was not asking for opinions of Thai culture. He would never post such an anti Thai magnet post such as tell me the things you find wrong with Pattaya thread would he?

How many I hate Pattaya threads have you seen closed? They have always been in epidemic proportions on Thai Visa because of all of the expat wannabees and moral crusader types who pine for the ladies of sin city but are married or don't have the cash to come.

Edited by Scotwight

Is the topic, "A Western view of Thai culture?" If it is you are correct. If the topic is, " is it wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture." Then there are seven pages of off topic posts. The OP was not asking for opinions of Thai culture. He would never post such an anti Thai magnet post such as tell me the things you find wrong with Pattaya thread would he?

If you'd been paying attention you would have noticed a lot of moderator intervention in this thread. It's not your job - let it go...

Ironically it's your posts (and my replies) that are spawning off topic banter.

There's nothing stopping you from refuting the negative and telling us about your own positive experiences.

Edited by tropo

If you'd been paying attention you would have noticed a lot of moderator intervention in this thread. It's not your job - let it go...

There's nothing stopping you from refuting the negative and telling us about your own positive experiences.

My last post before you forced me to defend myself was, "I would think that what is Thai culture is the first thing that needs to be defined before anyone can make a judgment about the rightness or wrongness of being interested in it.

I'd have to answer the OP's general question with the golden rule. How would he like it if people came to his country and did the same thing as the expats are doing in Thailand without bothering to learn about the local culture and/or language? Arabs for example? Is it OK for the Chinese to act like they do at home? Spitting and eating habits and general demeanor? Or should the Chinese pay attention to the Thai culture?"
The Chinese take a lot of heat here because their culture is not the same as the West and Thailand about spitting, eating and toilet behavior. Do you get my point? We find the Thai culture as acceptable as long as it conforms to ours.
The above is on topic and I'd ask you to respond to that instead of attacking me.
Edited by Scotwight

My last post before you forced me to defend myself

The above is on topic and I'd ask you to respond to that instead of attacking me.

That just so handbag ish, w00t.gif

Try and get over yourself with the Thai culture thing.

You live 1 hour away from pattaya, that puts you in the Billy no mates zone.

I think your just here to sneer at the good people of pattaya. bah.gif

My last post before you forced me to defend myself was, "I would think that what is Thai culture is the first thing that needs to be defined before anyone can make a judgment about the rightness or wrongness of being interested in it.

I'd have to answer the OP's general question with the golden rule. How would he like it if people came to his country and did the same thing as the expats are doing in Thailand without bothering to learn about the local culture and/or language? Arabs for example? Is it OK for the Chinese to act like they do at home? Spitting and eating habits and general demeanor? Or should the Chinese pay attention to the Thai culture?"
The Chinese take a lot of heat here because their culture is not the same as the West and Thailand about spitting, eating and toilet behavior. Do you get my point? We find the Thai culture as acceptable as long as it conforms to ours.

(If you think I'm attacking you, you're way too sensitive)

IMO you're overthinking the whole concept of culture. There are a lot of different definitions of "culture". One of them is "way of life". Another is "beliefs". One belief is that we're outsiders and are not particularly welcome here. We're certainly not respected or treated as equals. I'm not talking about government tourism officials who have budgets to balance, but the everyday Thai punter in the street. A lot of expats have had enough and are leaving, or making plans to leave. You'll probably find the OP is one - he has been discussing selling a condo on another thread recently.

As soon as I step out of my door I'm observing Thai culture. Right now I'm experiencing a lot of the worst of Thai culture, which is unfortunate, but a valuable lesson.

My last post before you forced me to defend myself

That just so handbag ish, w00t.gif

Try and get over yourself with the Thai culture thing.

You live 1 hour away from pattaya, that puts you in the Billy no mates zone.

I think your just here to sneer at the good people of pattaya. bah.gif

Attack me instead of my post criticize the poster instead of his post. Typical.

This is what I posted that you edited out of my post to change it's meaning.

Edited by Scotwight

(If you think I'm attacking you, you're way too sensitive)

IMO you're overthinking the whole concept of culture. There are a lot of different definitions of "culture". One of them is "way of life". Another is "beliefs". One belief is that we're outsiders and are not particularly welcome here. We're certainly not respected or treated as equals. I'm not talking about government tourism officials who have budgets to balance, but the everyday Thai punter in the street. A lot of expats have had enough and are leaving, or making plans to leave. You'll probably find the OP is one - he has been discussing selling a condo on another thread recently.

As soon as I step out of my door I'm observing Thai culture. Right now I'm experiencing a lot of the worst of Thai culture, which is unfortunate, but a valuable lesson.

What? Who what where? You said the worst of Thai culture but didn't mention what it is.

You wrote, "As soon as I step out of my door I'm observing Thai culture. Right now I'm experiencing a lot of the worst of Thai culture, which is unfortunate, but a valuable lesson."

If I wrote, "As soon as I step out of my door I'm observing the best of Thai culture which is a good and valuable lesson" Would you understand?

Edited by Scotwight

There are so many ramifications with subject, it is impossible to reach a positive conclusion, but at least it amusing watching the attempt.

In England there is an attempt to change the English culture to a muslim on, some say that will happen.

What? Who what where? You said the worst of Thai culture but didn't mention what it is.

You wrote, "As soon as I step out of my door I'm observing Thai culture. Right now I'm experiencing a lot of the worst of Thai culture, which is unfortunate, but a valuable lesson."

If I wrote, "As soon as I step out of my door I'm observing the best of Thai culture which is a good and valuable lesson" Would you understand?

The main point I wanted to make is that the moment we step outside we're in Thailand... it's all Thai culture. The way they behave, the way they live.

Yes, I'm experiencing the worst of Thai culture right now and learning a lot in the process. The details I'm keeping private as I don't want to "slag off" as you insisted we should not do here. I fully understand living in Pattaya and not being interested in Thai culture. To be honest, there's nothing which interests me less, however there's no escaping it apart from flying out.

I just pick the Thai culture I am interested in and it certainly isn't Buddhism, face saving, going to Thai funerals, sitting around with a bunch of Thai guys drinking etc.

What I do enjoy is the Thai food, sitting at the beach, eating Thai street food, bars and go go clubs, looking at the Royal Flower arrangements, Loy Krathong etc.

You can not avoid Thai culture no matter where you are.

I guess it is a fair point that I *do* hold it against chinese, arab, and russian tourists that they come here and act exactly like they do at home, but I think tourists fall in a different group altogether. The OP is talking about expats.

I think a good example of what I *think* the OP is talking about is expats wearing yellow shirts on Thai holidays. Farangs look silly in yellow :).

I guess it is a fair point that I *do* hold it against chinese, arab, and russian tourists that they come here and act exactly like they do at home, but I think tourists fall in a different group altogether. The OP is talking about expats.

I think a good example of what I *think* the OP is talking about is expats wearing yellow shirts on Thai holidays. Farangs look silly in yellow smile.png.

Nah.

Yellow is ok on that special day , white shorts ok, but big non no no SOCKS and flipflops / Sandals,

that looks so bad cheesy.gif

to much that one . 1zgarz5.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I lived in a Latino barrio for several years but I never had any desire to make my car a low rider or get a Guadalupe tattoo on my butt. Nice scenery though. The barrio not so much my butt.

A big plus for me there was that I could pass for Latino unless I opened my mouth.

Edited by Jingthing

I lived in a Latino barrio for several years but I never had any desire to make my car a low rider or get a Guadalupe tattoo on my butt. Nice scenery though. The barrio not so much my butt.

But you didn't leave the country. You had equal rights and American law to protect you if things went bad.

People who depend on the bar scene and bar women need to wake up and get a real, satisfying life!

Not to mention saving your liver and your health.

Not understanding the culture of a country you live in is being ignorant and even dangerous.

From reading this post it is clear the OP needs to change his thinking and his life and focus on being happy wherever that may be.

If your bored, that is a red flag.

Create new interests, and new friends. Learn the language and meet new friends in the high end malls, on the BTS, in coffee shops.

Be the first to initiate conversation and listen.

Join a club or start one.

Diet, lose weight, spend more time walking or join a gym.

Sun bath for 15 to 20 minutes a day.

Go to bed early and get up early.

Replace alcohol with clean water and flush out the fatty liver.

If you smoke, stop now.

Replace junk food with healthy fats and veggies.

Avoid most prescription drugs. If you eat healthy your bodily will heal itself as intended.

Avoid negative friends and substance abusers.

Avoid bars for three weeks then limit dinks to 2 to 3, beer and wine only.

Reduce sugar and sweetener intake.

Soon, you will see what you have been missing in life.

If it works for you, pass it on!

crap...if I wanted to go to hell , i would just commit suicide....

I find the OP very sad. Firstly, I think Pattaya is a cesspit, sorry but just my experience. Comparing it to Miami beach is a joke. It is full of lowlife from around the world as well as Thailand. Secondly, learning the language opens many doors.

I;ve been here 3 decades and have come to the conclusion that those who don't learn the language feel superior to Thais. Why not just learn? Well, most try but give up and then say they don't want to. Personally, I couldn't feel comfortable in my own skin living here most of y life and being illiterate.

Be honest OP. Why did you choose Pattaya when there are so many, no everywhere is better? It has to be one thing, the availability of cheap sex from uneducated peasants. If you can accept this and stop all the BS about the beach being nice and the good restaurants you'll stand a chance of being happy, otherwise you'll spend every waking hour on internet forums looking fr something t talk about.

I'd like to hear the OP's response to this.