cx5 battery problem

I have a 2 yr old mazda cx5 awd diesel & last week i got a warning light come on & the istop light turned orange and flashing , as it was obviously an istop issue ( the istop wasnt working either ) i was in chiangrai but live in chiang mai so waited til i was back in cm then went to the dealer , they said a lot of people have been having problems with the batteries & was blaming it on cheap malaysian batterys , they wanted to change the battery but were wanting 8000 baht for new 1 i said no , a few days later got up in the morning to go somewhere & battery was dead so ended up have to pay the money for new battery

Anyone else had this problem if not its something to watch out for

I don't think there are special batteries in standard diesels like the CX5, you got hell a lot of overcharged. A normal battery incl. service cost ~3000B and can be done with just a call to a battery service from anyone anywhere. They bring it usually on a bike.

For lead acid batteries temperatures above 30C are pure poison, they will last max. 3 years. Don't listen to people who want to sell you expensive gel batteries (they are only needed if you want to mount it sideways like in UPS boxes). Lifetime is the same 3 years at max.

Service free battery are no good in Thailand as temps are too high and water will evaporate from the cells and there is no way to replace the water. Buy a maintenance battery and check the cells once a month. Also diesel engines take more cranking power because of the high compression so a heavy duty cranking amp battery in needed. Hope this helps.

Service free battery are no good in Thailand as temps are too high and water will evaporate from the cells and there is no way to replace the water. Buy a maintenance battery and check the cells once a month. Also diesel engines take more cranking power because of the high compression so a heavy duty cranking amp battery in needed. Hope this helps.

Never had any more or less probs than a messy one.All last 3 years.

Never had any more or less probs than a messy one.All last 3 years.
Have used Panasonic MF for a few years now ... seem to get 3 years+ ... you can check the water level but have never needed to top up.

I have a two yr old CX-5. I noticed last week that it was struggling to start. As has been said above, 2 to 3 yrs is the average lifespan of a battery in these temps.

My wife had a new one fitted yesterday 3200 Baht plus 200 baht back for our old battery.. So 3000 Baht. Battery was same size and spec as the original..

Edited by Pdaz

Not necessarily though. Certain battery makers (Hitachi in particular) really designed their batteries properly for hot climates.

They are so sure of themselves that they warranty an SMF battery for 2 years. That's better than anyone else on the Thai market.

From personal experience, I have driven 100,000 km in 3 years with an SMF battery and never had an issue.

Not necessarily though. Certain battery makers (Hitachi in particular) really designed their batteries properly for hot climates.

They are so sure of themselves that they warranty an SMF battery for 2 years. That's better than anyone else on the Thai market.

From personal experience, I have driven 100,000 km in 3 years with an SMF battery and never had an issue.

I don't think two years is a problem. Everybody has said most batteries last 2-3 years. How about a 5-10 year warranty, now that would be something to crow about. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I don't think two years is a problem. Everybody has said most batteries last 2-3 years. How about a 5-10 year warranty, now that would be something to crow about.

I understand they last longer than 2 years, but there is no brand in Thailand giving more than 1 year warranty :)