Chicken Antibiotics

AlQaholic

Just saw in the Swedish News from Yesterday (Rapport, SVT1)....

WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) has come out with a warning that Thai chicken exported to Europe contain higher levels of Antibiotics than can be accepted.

They mention that Antibiotics are used in Thailand to make the Chicken grow more, there are none or insufficient documentation of the use and it is completely unregulated (Thai fishing industry a few months back comes to mind).

All schools in Sweden (lunch is free in Swedish schools) are serving Thai chicken to the school children but after the report from WWF many have stopped serving Thai chicken as of this time, says the TV news "Rapport". There were no further information in the news segment regarding future action by the EU or Sweden.

I used to be a vegetarian because I always suspected this was the case, however after several sources informed me that The cost of antibiotics are too high for the Thai chicken industry to be profitable if using antibiotics, I started to eat meat again. Maybe now is a good time to become vegetarian again?

post-223868-0-21090700-1464704995_thumb.

Edited by AlQaholic

The whole of the Thai food industry is coming under examination (and high time too).

Its hardly a surprise is it - a lack of regulation even when internationally accepted standards are written into the law and governing national standards.

Thailand may or may not use antibiotics. How ever it is still better for you than chicken in the states. At least if they do use them they don't use the one the states uses that produces Tits on a male.

I can hardly wait for this wonderful investigation of food here in Thailand. It will accomplish nothing except employment for those doing it and some thing for the Thai Visa people to condemn Thailand with.

"The use of antibiotics in animals in Thailand has been regulated by the Department of Livestock Development (DLD), Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperation, Thailand, since 2003."

It's regulated. Clearly absolutely nothing to worry about.

And, quite frankly, I'd rather eat a Thai chicken than a Swedish meatball (as sold at IKEA and made from horsemeat).

Let the Swedes look first to their own food production before casting aspersions upon the well-regulated Thai market.

The link by Oxx

"Increases of Antibiotic Resistance in Excessive Use of Antibiotics in Smallholder Dairy Farms in Northern Thailand"

leads to a discussion about small hold diary farming, which by the way are using excessive amounts of antibiotics as well apparently according to the article, nothing in that link about large scale CP chicken farming.

What I was reporting was just exactly what the WWF said.

This organization has no connection with Sweden whatsoever, I do not have the slightest idea why Oxx is trying to drag Sweden into this discussion. I was merely reporting some of the reported Swedish reactions to the announcement by WWF.

Why WWF would warn people that Thai chicken is not safe to eat without having a firm standing in solid facts I will leave to the very well informed mr Oxx to explain in detail.

For regulations to work, they actually have to be enforced and followed.....

Edited by AlQaholic

• 1 month later...

I do not have the slightest idea why Oxx is trying to drag Sweden into this discussion.

It might have something to do with what you wrote, namely "Just saw in the Swedish News from Yesterday ".

Or maybe something else you wrote "All schools in Sweden (lunch is free in Swedish schools) are serving Thai chicken".

Still can't see the Swedish connection?

• 5 months later...
It might have something to do with what you wrote, namely "Just saw in the Swedish News from Yesterday ".
Or maybe something else you wrote "All schools in Sweden (lunch is free in Swedish schools) are serving Thai chicken".
Still can't see the Swedish connection?

And Thailand (mainly CP) is exporting a lot of cooked and processed chicken to Europe and Japan.

• 9 months later...

Hello, sorry to ask but I found this on Google and as you seem to be experts, can you tell me if this kind of chicken can be more healthy and safe to eat for kids ?

I love Thailand but no country in the world might give as much poisoned food to its people, so I am trying to reduce the risks, please help ? Thank you.

http://delishop.co.th/home/groceries/delicatessen-meat/free-range-capon/

Well i dont worry about antibiotics in the chicken we eat.

I grow the chickens, i kill the chickens and i eat the chickens.

Also no worries about the feed, as i mix it myself.

Soya bean meal, corn meal, fish meal, ram (from rice) a little lime/eggshells.

Works ok for me.

Given Thailand and the Thai government's woeful record on enforcement and adhering to health and environmental regulations, I would tend to believe there's some truth to the allegation.

But, apparently, it's not a new allegation. And I came across the predictable Thai official denials that anything is amiss. See the linked PDF file below:

http://www.europoultry.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Clarification-on-the-use-of-antibiotics-in-Thai-poultry-industry.pdf

One of the interesting questions to ponder, meanwhile, is whether the supposed standards are the same for export poultry as they are for domestic consumption poultry. CP and such of course produce for both international and domestic use. But I wonder whether they have the same supply chain process for both destinations.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Given Thailand and the Thai government's woeful record on enforcement and adhering to health and environmental regulations, I would tend to believe there's some truth to the allegation.

But, apparently, it's not a new allegation. And I came across the predictable Thai official denials that anything is amiss. See the linked PDF file below:

http://www.europoultry.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Clarification-on-the-use-of-antibiotics-in-Thai-poultry-industry.pdf

One of the interesting questions to ponder, meanwhile, is whether the supposed standards are the same for export poultry as they are for domestic consumption poultry. CP and such of course produce for both international and domestic use. But I wonder whether they have the same supply chain process for both destinations.

It's very much in the details. They say that the use of antibiotics as growth promoter is not allowed (same as in EU) but how about prescribed or prophylactic given medicine by a veterinarian. They don't mention this in the letter. The Association and most likely the DLD as well will be under heavy influence of CP lobbyists so I wouldn't trust them. Just hope that the importers, processing companies and national organisations regularly check for residues.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

On 10/13/2017 at 12:01 PM, colinneil said:

Well i dont worry about antibiotics in the chicken we eat.

I grow the chickens, i kill the chickens and i eat the chickens.

Also no worries about the feed, as i mix it myself.

Soya bean meal, corn meal, fish meal, ram (from rice) a little lime/eggshells.

Works ok for me.

Can I buy some of your chicken ? Thank you.