Best brands for tower fans?

Cheesekraft

I am looking to try a tower fan, only have had some of the smaller circular fans and these look better, including some 'ionizing' features. What are reputable models? Whats a good unit that will keep people throughout a medium sized room cool, and also useful close to a person on a computer?

I have a Hatari....quiet, powerful and reliable. 18 inch blades....if I turn it up past level 1 power stuff flies around the room. If you have a studio...get the 16 inch model....ha ha

Not sure what you mean by 'tower' fan...mine is circular but on a long post adjustable

Edited by tonray

I have seen many Hatari fans and they all seem to have one thing in common: as they get older they make more and more annoying vibration noise resonating from the frame in various places. Try as one may to reassemble the fan just right is of no help. The Hatari plastic frames were just never designed with quietness in mind and it doesn't seem they will ever care about this.

I have seen many Hatari fans and they all seem to have one thing in common: as they get older they make more and more annoying vibration noise resonating from the frame in various places. Try as one may to reassemble the fan just right is of no help. The Hatari plastic frames were just never designed with quietness in mind and it doesn't seem they will ever care about this.

That is true. But these fans are not a big investment, they are consumables; just throw them away and buy a new, quiet one.

Also take the one without remote control, because these things also tend to fail.

There is also the Dyson fan with a unique design and function. Unfortunately very expensive and much louder than the cheap Hatari. Avoid!

We have Hatari fans from a 22" metal stand type to 18 & 15-16?"....

They have all stood the test of time for a few years....

We also have 2 smaller fans of different brands & these are the ones that have had problems....

I think the OP is asking about tower configuration fans - not circular fans.....

While they look nicer I don't think they move as much air volume....Might be ok for a small room....People tend to stand them in a niche or corner for a cleaner room look....Where of course they can't move/draw as much air.......

Edited by pgrahmm

That is true. But these fans are not a big investment, they are consumables; just throw them away and buy a new, quiet one.

Also take the one without remote control, because these things also tend to fail.

There is also the Dyson fan with a unique design and function. Unfortunately very expensive and much louder than the cheap Hatari. Avoid!

We have the Dyson fan in the bedroom because it is quiet. On setting 1 or 2 I find it almost inaudible.

I have 4 Hatari fans in different sizes in my house. They are good and have dine the work for many years. I also have a Mitsubhishi fan and this one is the same age as the Hatari but makes a lot more noise. The newest one is a Nano fan much cheaper then the Hatari and only 2 years old. But already broken.

So I will go for the Hatari

This is true. I have just fixed my 5-year-old Hatari stand-up fan which was making a racket.

Pay more and buy Philips. I will next time.

Edited by Briggsy

I use Astina pedestal fans with 16 inch blades.

The remote control is reliable - 5 years, still going - and they're quiet

Astina floor fan, packed up last month after 6 years regular use. Took it to a local repair guy and fixed like new for 120 baht. Edited by Linesy

Well the Hataris are everywhere if that means anything. Like Chevys or Fords I guess. I've had a 18" pedestal model I bought 2 years ago in Samut Prakan 1350 bhat. Seems like it's on 24/7 no problems. Rarely use AC as I live on the beach on the 30th floor. It's like living on the bow of a ship.

The shorter metal based 5 blade looked very nice industrial type but even the low setting seemed to powerful for a residential room think they were 1600 bhat. It's a blessing not to need AC in Naklua.

Well I had my 14 year old Hatari motor rewound, superb power, then my ex and I had a little bit of a conflab.

The poor fan went crashing down and has to be set just so to stop noise.

Have bought another for the living room. Wouldn't buy another brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother with Hatari. Cheap tack and the plastics are very prone to squeaking/clicking, especially on oscillate which is annoying when trying to sleep. One of the best brands is Mitsubishi Electric. Chalk n cheese with Hatari. You'll pay more for a good one but they are solid and last. Whatever you do, avoid going for the cheapest line of any brand. Mitsubishi Electric also make good aircons, the Mr Slim is excellent.

i love hatari.

cheap and reliable.

i pull them apart every three months or so, clean the fan blades and re -tighten all fittings.

most of the noises and vibration come from imbalance due to dirt build up.

we have 5 in our home, two are 4 years old, running 20 / 24 / 365.

for thb 800 each, you can not do better.

• 1 year later...