Low season seems busier this year

Hal65

It was so dead last year around this time. But this year things seem to have picked up in the bars. At least around 2nd road where I live.

Is it the same in your neck of the woods? A sign of improving Pattaya tourism even in low season?

I noticed a lot of I guess middle easterners and Indians out walking around down in south south Pattaya last night. I don't know if they go in bars etc. It may be a holiday.? There was only one Eastern European hooker walking the street. She would talk to one group, no deal, talk to the next, no deal. I don't know if that's an indication of supply and demand or just unable to reach an agreement on "group sex". Don't be fooled by the traffic. A lot of the buses going by are empty for some reason.

To the OP, I dont know where you live, I am just back from Pattaya after 3 nights, its DEAD.

I am well aware of the bars on 2nd Rd, they were empty.

From riches to rags, I was at the Hilton cocktail lounge (34th floor) it was heaving from 5-8, BARGAIN, 2 for 1, worked out about 160 baht per cocktail.

Drink up and head for the cocktail carts parked outside Central, yes they were heaving.

The internet and toursits reviews are killing the place.

To Rags, was sat in Big C food court today, some guy supped 3 big Archa bottles of beer before 1 in the afternoon, no doubt living the dream.

Pattaya is what it is.

It was so dead last year around this time. But this year things seem to have picked up in the bars. At least around 2nd road where I live.

Is it the same in your neck of the woods? A sign of improving Pattaya tourism even in low season?

Now you've gone and done it. How dare you question the party line!

Get ready for the onslaught. It's low season & time for the DYING PATTAYA chorus to chant their yearly chants anyway. Here they come!

2009: Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

2010: Why Is Everything Closing Down?

2011: Even More Dead Than Last Year?

2012: What'S Next For A Beach Tourist Destination Like Pattaya?

2013: Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

2014: Is Pattaya really on the bones of it arse at the minute?

2015: The beach walkway? Low season is really low Pattaya is dead.

To the OP, I dont know where you live, I am just back from Pattaya after 3 nights, its DEAD.

Yawn. Same "discovery" as 7 years ago. The "terminal" part seems to be taking a while, though. laugh.png Or are we exhuming the dead again?

. . . I arrived home yesterday from Pattaya, so thats about up to date as I can be. . . . Pattaya dead, dont know if rigour mortis has set in just yet, but its certainly in terminal decline.

Yawn. Same "discovery" as 7 years ago. The "terminal" part seems to be taking a while, though. laugh.png Or are we exhuming the dead again?

. . . I arrived home yesterday from Pattaya, so thats about up to date as I can be. . . . Pattaya dead, dont know if rigour mortis has set in just yet, but its certainly in terminal decline.

My Thai language teacher said yesterday that she has never seen less Falangs at her school.

My Thai language teacher said yesterday that she has never seen less Falangs at her school.

Do they have any good discounts available...........? wink.png

From riches to rags, I was at the Hilton cocktail lounge (34th floor) it was heaving from 5-8, BARGAIN, 2 for 1, worked out about 160 baht per cocktail.

Drink up and head for the cocktail carts parked outside Central, yes they were heaving.

To Rags, was sat in Big C food court today, some guy supped 3 big Archa bottles of beer before 1 in the afternoon, no doubt living the dream.

Pattaya is what it is.

Is that a nightly happy hour. whats the dress code ?

Pattaya is what it is.

Shorts, flip flops, wife beater stained Chang vest optional.

Pattaya is what it is.

YES !!!

Poor choice of language, I was using the word dead in the colloquial sense of quiet or empty.

My findings were based on the following, how much traffic there was in town and how long its takes to drive along Suk Rd, both were almost empty.

The amount of foot traffic, again, almost none, the empty baht buses crawling at a snails pace looking for non existant customers.

How busy Central is, including food court.

And finally the amount of empty bars I noticed.

Its not a scientific survey an no doubt others will have differing criteria with which to measure.

Pattaya is what it is.

Yes nightly, I was wearing shorts and a polo shirt.

The cocktails are priced about 330 baht, buy 1 get 1 free.

Chang stains are acceptable , but come on, at least have a polo shirt on, show some class smile.png

A wife beater, how large Sangsom coke is that. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Pattaya is what it is.

Yes nightly, I was wearing shorts and a polo shirt.

The cocktails are priced about 330 baht, buy 1 get 1 free.

Im glad you posted this, have been looking for an upmarket place for early drinks before getting down and dirty somewhere later..

This is the problem. Many people guage Pattaya's "busy-ness" on the number of "Falangs" they see. They're totally oblivious to Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern and other non-white tourists. Most tourists in Pattaya DON'T attend beer bars and gogos. That could mean they're smarter too.biggrin.png

I would certainly agree that Pattaya is becoming less appealing to farang tourists for many reasons. We should expect to see a continual decline in beer bar and gogo bar attendance... but this in no way indicates that Pattaya is dying - it's just changing.

IMO it's a snow ball effect mainly due to the farang's general intolerance (or even dislike) of non-farang. How often do we hear people whinging about Arabs, Indians, Chinese, Russians etc on here?

Thailand can also take the blame for toughening up on visa policy. i.e. visa runs are now history.

Edited by tropo

Some probably changed to a new teacher with greater literacy in English. Tough market.

Edited by JSixpack

I have never seen it deader. The manager of the Winchester told me they were closing down

as of June 1st to October. I was in Pattaya 3-4 times. I was the only patron at every bar I went

into. Looking around from my vantage point most of the beer bars had no customers. The

girls are depressed and keen. All that said, I am by no means preaching doom and gloom.

Many bars/businesses will close, only to open again in the near future and certainly by next

high season. Girls will move around to various other bars. Most will head home to see

there children and family but will return when money runs short or they tire of village life.

Much more fun to hang out with friends, gossip, drink, and occasionally snag a customer

for the night. All the while looking for Mister Right but settling for Mister Right now. The days

may change, the city will continue to develop, but things will mostly remain the same. coffee1.gif

The restaurant has our condo complex (Park Lane, Jomtien) is offering a 20% discount. I have

not noticed that before. I always thought there prices and food were excellent. When I went to

take out my garbage two nights ago I looked up at the lit windows. I counted nine units with

the lights on. After dropping off my garbage I went to fill my water bottles at the refill station in

our center court yard. The interior side of my building showed another 9 lights on. The other 3

buildings had even fewer lights on. Now I know some people would have been out enjoying

themselves but in my building out of approximately 155 units only 18 appeared to be

occupied and the numbers even less for the other 3 buildings. During the high season the

buildings were at least 60% occupied. The pool is empty during the day with only a handful of

patrons throughout the day. The scooter parking that was jammed in high season is now wide

open. Not at all a scientific account just anecdotal but it is awfully quiet as I cruise around.

15 years ago during the low season things were truly dead (in the nice sense). It seems each year things are progressively less dead.

Possibly it's because things are so much busier during the high season that the drop off during the low season appears more pronounced/

Have to admit my observations are based more on things like street traffic and numbers of shoppers that I encounter at places like Big C Extra rather than how crowded the bars are. Maybe during the low season and rainy season fewer people feel the need to drink themselves into a stupor in public venues.

Edited by Suradit69

The last six weeks there have been heaps of Thais from mainly from Bangkok but also other areas in Pattaya with school holidays and many public holidays. Third road area Thai pubs have been flat out. New Thai pubs are opening all the time, Kon la fun just opened a second place and it looks like they spent plenty on the fit out.

Lot of Koreans and Chinese around also.

The farang monger bars seem to have been in decline for years now with more closing down than opening. Soi 7 and 8 are nothing like they used to be. Good gogos are still pulling crowds, the ordinary ones are empty. A lot of hookers are using online apps now to hook up with customers so no need to waste time sitting around in a boring beer bar.

Dark side bars are also fairly quiet which results in a downward spiral. Less customers= less girls= less customers.

Still Pattaya gogos are the best. They have a sort of heavenly happy Victoria Secret show vibe about them (minus the lingerie) while the Phuket ones generally are more of a freak show with fat old Granny performing cunning stunts with small furry animals, goldfish, ping pong balls and blow dart guns.

Supposedly the army are marching in next week. I pray to the dear lord they don't impact on the gogos. They certainly have torn down a lot of good stuff on Phuket. Surin beach used to be a nice spot with a good vibe, now it is just covered in rubbish.

Jomtien way past its sell by date....quite a few bars closed, Shenanigans closed and do's not look like ever opening again.....I'm thinking of opening up a Poundshop....

Some probably changed to a new teacher with greater literacy in English. Tough market.

No, there are just less Falangs around. It's as simple as that.

Jomtien way past its sell by date....quite a few bars closed, Shenanigans closed and do's not look like ever opening again.....I'm thinking of opening up a Poundshop....

Do you mean a 52 baht shop. thumbsup.gif

Not so sure it will do well as we have 20, 30, 40, shops now ( market type shops )

Was ok to see Shenigans go, beastly places al them type of pubs.

Edited by onemorechang

I was there last week. Arrived at 11:00 AM and left at 7:00 PM major traffic congestion in Pattaya at both times.

It doesn't have to be busy to have traffic congestion in Pattaya. It just needs a couple of muppett bus drivers to block intersections and it's f....d for hours.

I plan on going to pattaya and bbk on july 7 to the 29 never been doing low season but got great price on plane tickets and condo in pattaya taly view 6 on 2nd rd Iam not a drinker will be doing alot of AA METTING when iam there like to shop the baht rate is pretty good right now I hope in get a little higher by time I get there this will be my 8th trip I will be doing soi 6 nana plaze car park all of those spots maybe find a few diamons in the rough the most beautiful thing is to be able go to to places like this sober clear minded dont get me wrong I party my ass off with out drinks or drugs don't need it to have a good time and it all so reduces your chances of geting your ass whip while drunk................lol I seen alot of that