New Brexit polls suggest shift in favour of leaving the EU

webfact

John Major and Douglas Hurd, Major's successor as Foreign Secretary, persuaded Margaret Thatcher to support British entry to the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a move which she had resisted for many years.

We all know how well that turned out.

So should we view this mans Judgement as sound, a move that cost the UK billions of pounds.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote "Firstly, a "free" Britain could not make its "own laws"

What a load of rubbish. Britain, as a sovereign country could do what the heck it wants, when it wants, with nobody with the authority to override it. Nice try though.

You see here's the thing

I never thought that there would be any chance of my brethren voting to leave

It seems that, whereas it's unlikely, there is a real risk

I am astonished that so many of my fellow countrymen are so ill informed, so ignorant of history and so foolish to even think that way

It's the dumbing down since Thatcher, the celebrity culture, the dilution of British culture by American ideas, the me first attitudes. DEEPLY depressing. It's the same fools who are pro Trump, anti establishment, Anti meritocracy. The lowest common denominator.

I await the baying howls of fools with no interest whatever.

If the UK leaves the EU, I will migrate to another EU country and dilute the average UK IQ accordingly.

quote "Firstly, a "free" Britain could not make its "own laws"

What a load of rubbish. Britain, as a sovereign country could do what the heck it wants, when it wants, with nobody with the authority to override it. Nice try though.

You don't get it. In a trading situation you need to harmonise. You think we can sell hats to Germany if they're made by 10 year olds?

John Major and Douglas Hurd, Major's successor as Foreign Secretary, persuaded Margaret Thatcher to support British entry to the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a move which she had resisted for many years. ( incidentally, Lamont was at the helm).

So should we view this mans Judgement as sound, a move that cost the UK billions of pounds.

Does it make you feel any better if I tell you The Euro was a bad idea without harmonising the test of the economies?

You want to trash people because of a single error ( the issue was driven by Soros BTW)

We lost a few billion? Peanuts. Our GDP is about 2,000 billion. Get real.

The Lamont comment was inserted by me in the wrong place. Sorry

John Major and Douglas Hurd, Major's successor as Foreign Secretary, persuaded Margaret Thatcher to support British entry to the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a move which she had resisted for many years. ( incidentally, Lamont was at the helm).

Does it make you feel any better if I tell you The Euro was a bad idea without harmonising the test of the economies?

You want to trash people because of a single error ( the issue was driven by Soros BTW)

My point wasn't really about the ERM (as bad as it was) but about John Majors poor judgement on the issue. I doubt anyone can sensibly call billions of pounds peanuts, 10 billion annually "peanuts" facepalm.gif

Also he is "the kettle calling the pot black" the man has no credibility.

PS. please don't add comments to my posts it looks like I have said something I did not.

It'll be interesting to se what happens to Visas for Brits in the next few years as an outsider of the EU.

my feeling is we'll lose G& status and EU whack, so we'll be down to VoA or 15 days. ...and minimum wage in Thailand for UK citizens will go down too. Living here will surely become more awkward if not downright difficult - especially with the reduced value of pensions.

I found this interesting comment in a piece on the BBC Website today. The bulk of the article was expounding on whether

the United Kingdom would have to contribute to future Eurozone bail-outs, or not. The article concludes with:

"Finally, it is important to stress that the much bigger impact on the UK economy from a possible future deepening of the eurozone

crisis comes from the inter-connectedness between the UK's and the eurozone's economies through our trade with them and banking,

rather than the money provided for bailouts.

If the eurozone was to collapse, the negative economic impact would be felt in the UK regardless of whether it is in or out of the EU".

The Eurozone is in something of a turmoil at the moment, with the potential for it to worsen. If it does worsen, the contagion will be

felt by Britain, regardless. This should be another reason, perhaps, that the United Kingdom must not have all its eggs in one basket,

and by being outside the European Union, it will be able to forge a greater variety of global trading links to soften the blow of a worsened

(and almost inevitable) Eurozone crisis.

The UK originally joined the European Economic Community and the main purpose was to guarantee and stabilise food prices throughout the member states. Whoever thought that they should in effect govern the members was, in my mind, a total idiot. I feel that an exit from the EU monstrosity would be beneficial to the UK. For the man on the street, small businesses and the "green" following perhaps the most benefit would come from the abolition of the VAT curse and the resurrection of purchase tax. That can only be possible after an exit from the EU. It may become an election promise so it is a distinct possibility and would be welcomed and enjoyed by many.

My point wasn't really about the ERM (as bad as it was) but about John Majors poor judgement on the issue. I doubt anyone can sensibly call billions of pounds peanuts, 10 billion annually "peanuts" facepalm.gif

PS. please don't add comments to my posts it looks like I have said something I did not.

I apologised for the inserted comment. I guess you can not accept someone making an error. What do you want Hari Kari??

10 Billion once. And that was down to Lamont gambling. John Major was OK. Certainly honourable unlike today's shower.

Kindly show us where Major was deceitful or dishonest?

What can one say about Farage?

http://news.sky.com/story/1707208/farage-staying-in-eu-risks-more-sex-attacks

Truely awful person. What an embarrassment for pro-Brexit types! I can't imagine many would go along with Farage's views

But that is just your opinion. You seem to think that David Cameron is the best thing since sliced bread.

My opinion is both of them is the exact opposite of yours.

3,881,099 voters went along with Nigel Farage's views at the last election. That put them in third place with the number of votes won but they only got one seat.

I voted UKIP last time and so did quite a few of my friends in the UK. I will for them again at the next general election.

OTOH the SNP only got 1,454,436 votes but won 56 seats, all of them in Scotland.

The LibDems got nearly a million more votes that the SNP yet only won 8 seats.

I know how much you like links so this one is for you.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015/results

The UK originally joined the European Economic Community and the main purpose was to guarantee and stabilise food prices throughout the member states. Whoever thought that they should in effect govern the members was, in my mind, a total idiot. I feel that an exit from the EU monstrosity would be beneficial to the UK. For the man on the street, small businesses and the "green" following perhaps the most benefit would come from the abolition of the VAT curse and the resurrection of purchase tax. That can only be possible after an exit from the EU. It may become an election promise so it is a distinct possibility and would be welcomed and enjoyed by many.

Why do you feel VAT bad, purchase tax good? Why is the EU monstrous? A bit hyperbolic?

"Kindly show us where Major was deceitful or dishonest?".

Edwina Currie gigglem.gif

Hopefully Major will do for the Remain campaign what Gordon Brown did for the IN campaign in the Scottish referendum. Someone needs to, as Cameron and Osborne have been horribly ineffectual.

Although your new views may be well-founded, DD, it would seem that you believe that a Conservative government (right-wing, capitalist) will be in power in

perpetuity, in a Brexit scenario.

Surely, given one of the underlying tenets of Brexit supporters being that a new government can be voted into power every 4 years in the United Kingdom (as

opposed to the permanency of the power structure in the European Union), any erosion or undermining of workers' rights can be remedied subsequently by

voting a leftist-orientated government into power at the end of a period of Tory mandate from the people? This would be British democracy at work, if it was

the desire of the people, something which doesn't obtain in the European Union.

Perhaps you should reconsider

That's a great game plan, waste more of the taxpayers money rewriting the rule book every 4 years. The interest on the national debt is already over 8 times the EU contributions, but no one wants to know about that.

Not sure I understand your comment Sandy. The rules of the "rule book" have been in operation for generations; it's not a new rule book. My comments

didn't advocate change.

I guess you are suggesting that the Scottish or British Parliaments should be abolished, and that you would prefer direct rule from the European Union?

Apologies if your comments have been misinterpreted, appeared to imply that if something did change then it could be changed back again.

I am not advocating direct rule but this concept, being promoted by certain individuals, of moving the goal posts by successive governments is a dangerous path to tread.

Truely awful person. What an embarrassment for pro-Brexit types! I can't imagine many would go along with Farage's views

But that is just your opinion. You seem to think that David Cameron is the best thing since sliced bread.

3,881,099 voters went along with Nigel Farage's views at the last election. That put them in third place with the number of votes won but they only got one seat.

I voted UKIP last time and so did quite a few of my friends in the UK. I will for them again at the next general election.

OTOH the SNP only got 1,454,436 votes but won 56 seats, all of them in Scotland.

Sliced bread is an abomination. Should be illegal. Cameron should be publically flogged for putting the country at risk because of a few nasty party back benchers.

You freely admit voting UKIP. That rag tag bunch of xenophobic psychos? Poor you? Have you sought help? I guess it must be hard for you....

For what they are worth, the latest opinion polls show the following:

A YouGov poll found 45% favoured the UK leaving the EU, with 41% wanting to stay. An Observer/Opinium poll

also found the Leave campaign ahead by 43% to 40%.

Sliced bread is an abomination. Should be illegal. Cameron should be publically flogged for putting the country at risk because few nasty party back benchers.

You freely admit voting UKIP. That rag tag bunch of xenophobic psychos? Poor you? Have you sought help? I guess it must be hard for you....

It seems your narcissistic personality disorder needs attention...

Why narcissistic? Do you have a thesaurus? Can you read? Do you have a mirror?

A YouGov poll found 45% favoured the UK leaving the EU, with 41% wanting to stay. An Observer/Opinium poll

Yes, frightening! Time to leave for good!

Why do you feel VAT bad, purchase tax good? Why is the EU monstrous? A bit hyperbolic?
VAT is added to most repairs and the purchase of secondhand goods, as well as nearly everything else actually. In comparison purchase tax only applies to new goods thus allowing people on lower incomes or tighter budgets to make at least a tax saving by repairing or buying secondhand, much more environmentally friendly too. The burden of collecting VAT falls to the individual company or sole trader and for a small business in particular, this can be a costly and unrewarded chore. Add in an "in depth inspection" and/or accountancy fee and the costs rise considerably. A very unfair way of taxation and collection, designed and insisted on by the EU and before it by the EEC.

The EU is, in my opinion, an ever growing monster allowing new members that can offer little or no benefit to the union and attempting to control and manipulate the everyday lives of the common people. I personally prefer a democratic system where at least the majority of people make a choice as to who calls the shots. Not so in the EU. I think I prefer not to support bankrupt states such as the Greek shambles. I also would prefer anyone coming to the benefit rich UK to obtain a visa and prove that they can financially support themselves, amongst other things. From the basics of an economic community to the monstrous political, law making, cash hungry thing that is now called the EU, for me at least, is a step (several steps) too far.

And while we are at it .... Does football really need FIFA?

I apologised for the inserted comment. I guess you can not accept someone making an error. What do you want Hari Kari??

10 Billion once. And that was down to Lamont gambling. John Major was OK. Certainly honourable unlike today's shower.

Kindly show us where Major was deceitful or dishonest?

Hari Kari? Well now you mention it.

If today's shower are not honourable, why are you supporting them?

Sliced bread is an abomination. Should be illegal. Cameron should be publically flogged for putting the country at risk because of a few nasty party back benchers.

No need for comments like that, just leads to a slanging match.

People are free to support who they choose, you may not agree but you cannot condemn the choice, its not yours to make.

VAT is added to most repairs and the purchase of secondhand goods, as well as nearly everything else actually. In comparison purchase tax only applies to new goods thus allowing people on lower incomes or tighter budgets to make at least a tax saving by repairing or buying secondhand, much more environmentally friendly too. The burden of collecting VAT falls to the individual company or sole trader and for a small business in particular, this can be a costly and unrewarded chore. Add in an "in depth inspection" and/or accountancy fee and the costs rise considerably. A very unfair way of taxation and collection, designed and insisted on by the EU and before it by the EEC.

The EU is, in my opinion, an ever growing monster allowing new members that can offer little or no benefit to the union and attempting to control and manipulate the everyday lives of the common people. I personally prefer a democratic system where at least the majority of people make a choice as to who calls the shots. Not so in the EU. I think I prefer not to support bankrupt states such as the Greek shambles. I also would prefer anyone coming to the benefit rich UK to obtain a visa and prove that they can financially support themselves, amongst other things. From the basics of an economic community to the monstrous political, law making, cash hungry thing that is now called the EU, for me at least, is a step (several steps) too far.

When the UK joined the EEC in 1973 they were already using VAT so it is not surprising the UK had fall in line. The EEC did not insist on VAT, the UK asked to join the EEC.

As for being unfair, that is a matter of opinion. There is no dispute the collection process is cumbersome but it was designed that way to reduce tax evasion. Sales tax is more open to abuse than VAT and should a post brexit government revert to a sales tax then it is highly likely that income tax would rise to offset the loss in revenue from tax evasion, that is what I would call unfair.

When the UK joined the EEC in 1973 they were already using VAT so it is not surprising the UK had fall in line. The EEC did not insist on VAT, the UK asked to join the EEC.

As for being unfair, that is a matter of opinion. There is no dispute the collection process is cumbersome but it was designed that way to reduce tax evasion. Sales tax is more open to abuse than VAT and should a post brexit government revert to a sales tax then it is highly likely that income tax would rise to offset the loss in revenue from tax evasion, that is what I would call unfair.

VAT is insisted upon by the EU, a state cannot be a member if they don't charge VAT (EU rules). They also set the parameters min /max of taxation to be charged. Not much loss in revenue because no EU membership will need to be paid, less spongers, less handouts, less freeloading in the medical system and the possibility of cheaper imports/ better exports (if anything can be found to actually export). Of course I agree that it's all an unknown quantity and perhaps it's the fear or uncertainty of the unknown that provokes so much thought and discussion on the brexit. For me though ... I can't leave quickly enough.

The poll split between LEAVE and REMAIN coincides with the 20-25% undecided. How will the UNDECIDED vote?

Both LEAVE and REMAIN predict adverse economic affects on exit, the former to a much lesser extent than the latter represented by differing degrees of who is interviewed. While nationalism is a factor I believe its emotional aspect (Soverignty, the Motherland, Homeland, Empire, etc.) is already played out with the voters and largely inclusive within the YouGov poll. You'll get no greater response waving the flag once than waving it ten times.

What remains then with the undecided is the economics of LEAVE or REMAIN. The issue becomes for the UNDECIDED how quickly the UK might recover and the interim affect on the middle and low income class. The LEAVE faction essentially says there will be nothing noticeable followed by a substantial increase in economic growth. REMAIN at worst point to a continuing economic status quo.

A common saying comes to mind: better the devil you know than the devil you don't

The current economic situation of the UK under EU is fairly understood regardless of its faults or merits. Cameron and Tsipras have shown that the EU can negotiate with individual members on specifics of a nation's relationship with the EU while preserving the spirit of the EU mission. The USA as the second largest economy in the world supports the EU as its primary trade partner and gives little merit to UK as a separate trade partner outside the EU. This is the devil you know.

LEAVE relies on an array of specultative economic and emotional events that would follow exit for which there is no historical precedence. This is the devil you don't know.

For the UNDECIDED, LEAVE represents an irreversible path to the UK's future. It is a financial gamble promoted by politicians. REMAIN will leave open further opportunity for dialog with the EU to potentially resolve further conflicts with the UK while maintaining an economic status quo. If the UNDECIDED have no sense of urgency nor risk taking, they will side with REMAIN.

Ok, Nontabury, Brexit the Movie.....

Firstly it's too partisan. It fails to make the arguments. Only fools think this is a clear cut decision. There are sensible pros and cons

Secondly it's a Neocon wet dream. A post EU sunlit upland with prosperity supercharged by reduced workers rights and regulations on safety

Thirdly, it's massively out of date. Butter mountains? I think that was fixed about 12 years ago.

The poor fishing industry? Greedy bastards should have stopped over fishing by trawlers

It's a Thatcherite agenda with all that went with that. Thatcher saw British manufacturing decline from 25% to 10% of our GDP and destroyed British society

On the plus side, I discovered the EU is much more democratic than I thought

For more I suggest looking at Quora for "best rebuttle of Brexit the Movie"

There is also an excellent short called Brexit the Movie - a Review

Frankly it depresses me that so many of my fellow countrymen fall for this tripe! What an indictment of our education system!

So after 3 weeks during which you stated that you would pull the Facts

within Brexit the Movie to bits,this is all you can come out with. Not very good Grouse,thought you could do better.

The British fishing fleet was sold down the river by British politicians,in order to gain access to

What exactly. By the way Hull was the largest fishing port in the Whole world,followed by Grimsby. Now no fishing boats operate out of Hull.

I can only think that you must be on some illegal drug to think that the EU is in any way democratic,you disappoint me again and again.

Any way as some consulation to you, I still think the remain side will win,in spite of what the polls are telling us. As a country unfortunately this generation is not made of the same stuff as previous generations.

post-78707-0-83141600-1465204484_thumb.j

There you go yet again. Denigrating people in your monstrous arrogance that you and ONLY you are right and everybody else is wrong. Once again as I have said before, it is only your opinion and it means nothing to a large section of the posters here.

You, like me, and every other registered voter have only one vote.

I am voting out, you are voting to remain, so it seems to remain so our votes cancel each other out.

Sorry about that.

Try learning some manners and insulting people less.

The poll split between LEAVE and REMAIN coincides with the 20-25% undecided. How will the UNDECIDED vote?

Both LEAVE and REMAIN predict adverse economic affects on exit, the former to a much lesser extent than the latter represented by differing degrees of who is interviewed. While nationalism is a factor I believe its emotional aspect (Soverignty, the Motherland, Homeland, Empire, etc.) is already played out with the voters and largely inclusive within the YouGov poll. You'll get no greater response waving the flag once than waving it ten times.

What remains then with the undecided is the economics of LEAVE or REMAIN. The issue becomes for the UNDECIDED how quickly the UK might recover and the interim affect on the middle and low income class. The LEAVE faction essentially says there will be nothing noticeable followed by a substantial increase in economic growth. REMAIN at worst point to a continuing economic status quo.

A common saying comes to mind: better the devil you know than the devil you don't

The current economic situation of the UK under EU is fairly understood regardless of its faults or merits. Cameron and Tsipras have shown that the EU can negotiate with individual members on specifics of a nation's relationship with the EU while preserving the spirit of the EU mission. The USA as the second largest economy in the world supports the EU as its primary trade partner and gives little merit to UK as a separate trade partner outside the EU. This is the devil you know.

LEAVE relies on an array of specultative economic and emotional events that would follow exit for which there is no historical precedence. This is the devil you don't know.

For the UNDECIDED, LEAVE represents an irreversible path to the UK's future. It is a financial gamble promoted by politicians. REMAIN will leave open further opportunity for dialog with the EU to potentially resolve further conflicts with the UK while maintaining an economic status quo. If the UNDECIDED have no sense of urgency nor risk taking, they will side with REMAIN.

I don't subscribe to most of your viewpoint, but it is your view and you are entitled to it.

Bottom line, the "ins", the "outs", the "undecided" will have not influence on the outcome of the referendum,

if they don't get off their jacks and VOTE.

It remains to be seen which contingent are the most motivated to let their voices be heard.

The rest is just pie-in-the-sky.

House of Commons (Foreign Affairs Committee) - Implications of the referendum on EU membership for the UK's role in the world - Fifth Report of Session 2015-16. Ordered by the House of Commons to be printed 19 April 2016

Current membership: Crispin Blunt MP (Con), Mr John Baron (Con), Rt. Hon Ann Clwyd (Lab), Mike Gapes (Lab), Stephen Gethins (SNP), Mark Hendrick (Lab), Adam Holloway (Con), Daniel Kawczynski (Con), Yasmin Qureshi (Lab), Andrew Rosindell (Con), Nadhim Zahawi (Con).

Conclusion: The referendum on membership of the EU offers a once-in-a-generation opportunity to assess critically its role in the world today, and to decide what kind of foreign policy actor it seeks to become in the future. Inevitably, given the number and complexity of variables involved, predictions about the long-term impact of remaining or withdrawing from the EU must involve a degree of informed guesswork. Based on the evidence we gathered and on current regional and global trends, we have attempted to identify and outline the key potential risks and opportunities associated with both remaining and leaving. Our analysis aims to assist voters to reach a decision. This decision will be informed by the weight and probability they give to those risks and opportunities. Collectively, as a committee, we do not agree on the decision and therefore do not endorse either a 'remain' or a 'leave' vote. Whatever the outcome, there will be a clearer path for the United Kingdom to follow.

HC 545 - Published on 26 April 2016 by authority of the House of Commons

Archived