3UK (Three mobile network) in Thailand

torrow

I'm using a 3UK sim to receive text alerts from my UK bank etc. but the texts have stopped coming. The sim is in credit and 3UK think there is a problem with their roaming partner in Thailand - True. In the past I'm sure my SIM always used the DTac. network. Anyone else having problems or can confirm the service is good?

What does the phone show?

Is it checked into a mobile network?

What does the signal strength indicator show?

Try that a different locations to exclude the possibility of weak signal/reception.

Menus and methods to check vary from phone to phone.

As previous post suggests: find the menu for manual network selection.

Let the list be built (search) and try to select True Move.

True Move is the roaming partner due to 3UK's website.

Somewhat absurd idea:

does anybody know whether there is a general problem with using foreign SIMs without personally registering at the Thai provider?

You might have a hard time to find a knowledgeable person at a True service center.

But worth a try to visit True.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks.

It's worked fine for the last couple of years, it's only the last month or so it's failed.

We've been round and round the houses with this. Everything suggested (and more) has been tried including changing phones - with screen shots back and forth to the UK. My feeling is, 3UK are having problems with True. Occasionally, a roaming advice text will arrive from 3UK but nothing else. I know in the past I've had problems roaming in Asia with 3 - it wasn't reliable to use in the Philippines, kept losing the network, so I had to mess about with an o2 SIM.

In an ideal world, a fellow Brit in Thailand with a 3UK SIM is going to tell me how his service is :-)

Thanks for all your replies. I'm no telecoms expert but before 3's roaming partner in Thailand was DTac, now they've recently switched to True. I've tried to get some clarification of whether 3 can provide service here in Thailand but they always fob it off as True's problem.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm no telecoms expert but before 3's roaming partner in Thailand was DTac, now they've recently switched to True. I've tried to get some clarification of whether 3 can provide service here in Thailand but they always fob it off as True's problem.

Which probably is!

• 1 month later...

Torrow - Just seen your post. I've been having similar problems for the past 4 months, even had a new sim sent to me recently, via a family member. I ported my number to 3UK, thinking it would be a better option that EE, which I was having a few problems with, mostly customer services. However, my problems with 3UK started from day 1, last March. When I first applied for a 3UK sim, their website stated that roaming partners were Dtac and True, but when sim card received, only True was available. I'm fed up with customer services; waiting 5 days for a reply only to be told how to search for networks on my phone, and that roaming is already switched on. I've been in touch several times since. My current sim card which I received yesterday, is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Have you got any update on the problems from 3UK since you last posted? I'd be interested to hear if you have. I've just sent a message to 3UK, suggesting that the problem lies with True, or their agreement with True. I'm not holding my breath for a favourable reply. I'll post any information here if I get some.

Cheers

Moti24

Nope, 3 SIM still doesn't work in Thailand, works in Laos.

I'll let you know if it works in the Philippines next month ...... I'm betting it does.

I should have brought an O2 SIM out with me.

Edited by MissAndry

Torrow - Just seen your post. I've been having similar problems for the past 4 months, even had a new sim sent to me recently, via a family member. I ported my number to 3UK, thinking it would be a better option that EE, which I was having a few problems with, mostly customer services. However, my problems with 3UK started from day 1, last March. When I first applied for a 3UK sim, their website stated that roaming partners were Dtac and True, but when sim card received, only True was available. I'm fed up with customer services; waiting 5 days for a reply only to be told how to search for networks on my phone, and that roaming is already switched on. I've been in touch several times since. My current sim card which I received yesterday, is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Have you got any update on the problems from 3UK since you last posted? I'd be interested to hear if you have. I've just sent a message to 3UK, suggesting that the problem lies with True, or their agreement with True. I'm not holding my breath for a favourable reply. I'll post any information here if I get some.

Cheers

Moti24

Ok... 3UK's customer service is useless. I raised a complaint and then demanded to deal with a team leader who had access to everything to avoid having to wait for 'the service dept' to reply.

For some reason, much depends on your phone. My SIM point blank refused to work in a new Asus but worked ok in an old iPhone 4. It's working now in a Nokia Windows phone but only 50% of the time because it constantly loses the network, requiring a phone restart every time. I've found the best solution is to search networks and manually select TH-3G. That works fine until you have to travel. I had exactly the same problem in the Philippines - constantly losing the network and that was with a Galaxy Note 3 supplied by 3UK whereas o2 worked fine.

I'm totally convinced the problem is the switch to True. I had two years using 3UK via DTac without issue.

Now waiting for a Gif-Gaf SIM to arrive which I'm hoping will solve everything.

Nope, 3 SIM still doesn't work in Thailand, works in Laos.

I'll let you know if it works in the Philippines next month ...... I'm betting it does.

I should have brought an O2 SIM out with me.

The last time I was in the Philippines was 2 years ago. 3UK works but drove me insane because it constantly lost the network. Yes, you should have brought your o2 SIM because I gave up trying to use 3 in Manila and switched to o2 which worked perfectly.

Getting registered onto a different network does require a fair bit of communication back/forth, in this case between TrueMove H and 3UK, and you'll need a phone which is (ideally) capable of 3G: 1800 or 2100 (850 or 900 may not work, as of today for roaming).

Your home account needs to be enabled for international roaming, and "in good standing", you need a stable, local signal, and you need a decent phone.

In the Android world it may be best to turn off the phone, insert the SIM, restart the phone. Go to Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Cellular networks, Choose Automatically. Then give the phone a good 5 to 10 minutes. IME, people get impatient, start futzing with all sorts of settings, trying to connect to any/all displayed networks, and then really hose things up.

A lot of things can go wrong, usually delay/timing issues during the authentication process, and it is not unusual for one person to have a problem, while another person seamlessly gets network access, using the same home and roaming networks. And it's not unusual for a home netwo which worked fine for a few years suddenly starts having issues.

This is a relatively common problem here.

Also note that enterprises which use SMS for verification often switch bulk providers, some/all of which have their own issues.

Cheers

Moti24

Ok... 3UK's customer service is useless. I raised a complaint and then demanded to deal with a team leader who had access to everything to avoid having to wait for 'the service dept' to reply.

For some reason, much depends on your phone. My SIM point blank refused to work in a new Asus but worked ok in an old iPhone 4. It's working now in a Nokia Windows phone but only 50% of the time because it constantly loses the network, requiring a phone restart every time. I've found the best solution is to search networks and manually select TH-3G. That works fine until you have to travel. I had exactly the same problem in the Philippines - constantly losing the network and that was with a Galaxy Note 3 supplied by 3UK whereas o2 worked fine.

I'm totally convinced the problem is the switch to True. I had two years using 3UK via DTac without issue.

Now waiting for a Gif-Gaf SIM to arrive which I'm hoping will solve everything.

Thanks for the input. I agree with your first comment; the customer service is useless. Not what I expected when I ported my number. I also have the same problems you are having. The sim wouldn't work in my Asus, but the EE sim worked OK. When the True network manages to work, it doesn't last long. I have tried the sim in several phones, all 3G, still get the same problems. The main problem is that I've had the same number for the past 24 years, and don't want to lose it. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably get a Gif-Gaf sim or similar. I'll let you know when I get some sort of reply from 3UK.

Cheers

Moti24

Reference post 11 and 16 - My last contact with 3UK was on Monday.  It wasn't an email, just a 10 second ring on my Thai mobile, followed by an email which advised:

"I’ve tried calling you back a few times now to run few check on your account/number, but haven’t had any luck. Please feel free to contact us on call or online where we're available all 7 days."

My reply:

"No, it won't help!  I have waited patiently for so long, but it's getting beyond a joke.  You called me at about 12:20 pm, UK time, on my Thai number; you need to let it ring for more that 10 seconds to give me time to answer it.  I'm getting a little tired of customer service representatives who just can't be bothered to take an interest in solving problems.  I thought 3UK was a professional company, but it seems, you are no beter that most of the others.

Kindly get somebody who cares to follow up on my problems, and that of a lot of other of your customers in Thailand who have the same problems.  If you can't sort it out, just say so, and send me a PAC."

Well, that's probably blown my chances of a satisfactory conclusion.  But, what the hell!  I can't be doing with these customer service representatives who think they are doing you a favour, just be being there.  Nine times out of ten, they can't solve your problem.  First rule of management, " Your staff is only as good as the training you give them".

Anyway, after searching for my best options, not expecting a satisfactory conclusion from 3UK, I have decided that an O2 sim card is probably the best bet.  Gif-Gaf is run on the O2 network, so I think I will go with them, as opposed to directly with O2.  So, if there are any TV members  presently in Thailand, using a Gif-Gaf sim, please advise if there are any problems, and which service provider is the host. 

Thanks in advance

Moti24

Update on 3UK - I Skyped with a friend of mine yesterday.  He lives in the UK, and has a 3UK mobile.  He informed me that he has sent several text messages to me recently, but didn't get a ping-back to say the message had been received.  I hadn't received any messages from him for a while, which is strange because I used to.  He sent the messages to my Thai number, which is a Dtac number.  He also said that he had tried to call me last week, but my number was unobtainable.  I receive messages and calls from other friends and family, but he is the only one using 3Uk.  So, it looks like the problem might be 3UK, and True Move is OK.  I think that Dtac has probably blocked Thailand as a roaming service provider; what other explanation could there be?

Yup, we appear to have similar problems. I have a Golden number, so like you, I don't want to lose my number which is why I've stuck with it. Also, that is the number for my WhatsApp and Viber etc. I've manually selected the network now and it doesn't lose the signal, is showing an active network in the settings and I receive texts ok. It's the 3/True combination without a doubt, before when it was 3/Dtac it worked fine.

On a side note, my 3 Sim didn't work at all in Malaysia recently.

In my years of traveling around SE Asia, o2 always worked best so I guess the same would be true for GIf-Gaf. I have in the past read positive comments on here about Gif-Gaf