Thai junta leader defends crackdown on social media

rooster59

Thai junta leader defends crackdown on social media
VIJAY JOSHI, Associated Press
ANNABELLE LIANG, Associated Press

SINGAPORE (AP) — Thailand's junta leader on Friday defended his government's increasing crackdown on social media dissidents, while promising to restore democracy which he suspended in a coup two years ago.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said Thailand is in a transition toward "a strong and sustainable democracy."

"Anything that cannot be completed during this administration will be handed over to the next," he said in a speech at the start of a three-day security conference in Singapore attended by defense ministers from several Asia-Pacific nations, including U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter.

Prayuth seized power in a military coup in May 2014, saying he needed to end political confrontations that had wracked Thailand for years. He has promised to hold elections next year after several postponements, and wants to hold a referendum on Aug. 7 on the draft of a new constitution that has been criticized as undemocratic and designed to keep power in the hands of the military and its allies in the country's traditional elite.

His government has banned most public discussion of the referendum, which will be the first electoral barometer of public opinion about the junta.

Campaigning for or against the draft is subject to nebulous rules that could land activists in prison for up to 10 years. Even the sale of a "Vote No" T-shirt is considered against the law.

In May, authorities arrested eight people on charges of sedition and violation of the Computer Crime Act for material posted on Facebook that mocked Prayuth. The arrests attracted widespread criticism from local activists as well as international human rights groups.

There has been an "abuse (of) social media to engage in libel and a distortion of facts," so it is "necessary for the military to take control for a while," Prayuth said, speaking in Thai. His comments were translated into English by an interpreter.

"We have enforced the law only when the law is broken ... so taking action is not in violation of human rights," he said. "In creating a new equilibrium for Thailand, many issues need to be addressed."

Prayuth said he imposed military rule because of "increasing demands for unlimited freedom" in Thailand.

"There was no other way but to interfere and restore peace," he said.

The annual international security conference, known as the Shangri-la Dialogue, includes a session on Saturday chaired by Carter on meeting Asia's security challenges.

While the region upholds a general image of peaceful coexistence, the influence of extremists, tensions on the Korean Peninsula and territorial disputes in the South China Sea, principally between China and several Southeast Asian nations, threaten to disrupt the peace.

An international arbitration court in The Hague will soon rule in case brought by the Philippines challenging the legal basis of China's sweeping claims in the South China Sea.

Countries should look at "sovereignty in less traditional terms," Prayuth said. "Compromises must be made for the common interest, for common security. If there are opportunities for dialogues, we must engage in dialogues."

Growing tensions in the South China Sea will drive up defense spending in the Asia-Pacific region by almost 23 percent by the end of the decade, consultancy IHS Jane's said in a report on Thursday.

Combined regional defense budgets will grow from $435 billion last year to $533 billion in 2020, furthering a shift in global military spending away from Western Europe and North America toward emerging markets, especially in Asia, the report said.

In recent years, China has been increasingly asserting its claims in the region and has built up atolls and islands to be large enough to hold military facilities. The region is of major economic and geopolitical significance, with vital commercial shipping lanes, rich fisheries and potential natural gas and oil deposits.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-04

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means everything that has not been completed. All that which I have promised but havent a clue how to do, thereby justifying, in his little mind, coup 2019, version 20 with the aim of removing corruption and bringing happiness to the people.

Sort of sounds familiar.

Edited by Reigntax

He should have said the truth is he's very thin skinned and will not accept criticism irrespective of it being justified.

The PM said the law is enforced only when it's broken so where does AA fit in as it's arbitrary arrest and detention without due process and what of the planned programme of re-education for politicians etc ?

There will probably be an "election" next year so the ptb can say look we did as we promised but don't expect anything like a democracy coming out of it apart from something like the extensive military involvement Myanmar has had for many years until the recent leaps forward.

Here on the other hand the leaps are not forward.

at least all the delegates will get a good laugh when he imparts his comments on a multitude of subjects.

telling the hotel staff how to make the bed,coffee, fix the plumbing etc.

he won't say much sensible or probably relevant, he is a statesman with few equals.

Countries should look at "sovereignty in less traditional terms," Prayuth said. "Compromises must be made for the common interest, for common security. If there are opportunities for dialogues, we must engage in dialogues."

And he said the above with a straight face.

I am sure the ultra-royalist/nationalist groups will soon be calling for an end to him.

Or perhaps he meant only other countries, not Thailand, but those who have disputes with his new best mates, China

Edited by BigBadGeordie

And he said the above with a straight face.

I am sure the ultra-royalist/nationalist groups will soon be calling for an end to him.

Or perhaps he meant only other countries, not Thailand, but those who have disputes with his new best mates, China

Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Dialogue includes differing opinions, arguments, agreement and criticism BUT it's been made perfectly clear that criticism is a major no no and will not be tolerated.

He fools no one, especially the international community, with his meaningless rambling and just makes himself look and sound even more ridiculous.

With every risk there is a consequence, Unelected PM Prayut - O treads troubled waters if he thinks for one moment that national reconciliation can be born by just a few directives and rhetoric , all Prayut has done has muzzled the critics and forced the issue underground , the position remains the same , nothing will be achieved by a Coup , no amount of legislation or amendments to the constitution can alter people's minds , with the track record of the Military Junta so far , the international community must wonder what direction Thailand is going with the road map already covered with wreckage from human rights abuse and freedom of expression on its own citizens, will peace ever come back to Thailand...................................................coffee1.gif

Astonishing. That's a record. That's the first time I've read through a thread and felt obliged to 'Like' EVERY SINGLE POST.

I kid you not. Every single post in this thread impressed. Kudos all round.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Just as well he's got the local media under control one way or another because his nonsense should be attracting massive ridicule.

To think this idiot is not only running, or should that be ruining, the country he's also making a fool of it on the international stage.

The diplomatic cables sent home from the various embassies here must have, in the early days, provoked the question from Foreign Ministries " are you serious, this is a joke, right ? "

"Not against human rights because they broke the law..."

When you dictate the law as you go along that's an abuse of human rights. You can't hoodwink the international community.

That is a bitter pill, and either the significance of it hasn't been noticed yet, or they still believe it doesn't apply to them.

A magnificent display of hubris.

"We have enforced the law only when the law is broken ... so taking action is not in violation of human rights"

This total muppet appears to think that there has never been a law that violates human rights.

He sometimes seems almost sensible on the TV, but then I suppose what's being read was written by someone else. I think he probably wrote this one himself.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

With every risk there is a consequence, Unelected PM Prayut - O treads troubled waters if he thinks for one moment that national reconciliation can be born by just a few directives and rhetoric , all Prayut has done has muzzled the critics and forced the issue underground , the position remains the same , nothing will be achieved by a Coup , no amount of legislation or amendments to the constitution can alter people's minds , with the track record of the Military Junta so far , the international community must wonder what direction Thailand is going with the road map already covered with wreckage from human rights abuse and freedom of expression on its own citizens, will peace ever come back to Thailand...................................................coffee1.gif

Bootlegging - the selling of alcohol made illegal in the USA for a period of time, FAILED and supply and demand INCREASED because people wanted the product and service. Democracy is the same. Saying and arresting people for doing and saying what they believe will not stop dissent only increase the hazards of not having a public forum to voice concerns differences and allow people to make their own minds ups.

Forcing things underground causes a swelling in the ranks of people who HATE what is being forced upon them and they will follow things they normally would not if given a free and open forum.

This in itself will cause major issues in months to come

at least all the delegates will get a good laugh when he imparts his comments on a multitude of subjects.

telling the hotel staff how to make the bed,coffee, fix the plumbing etc.

he won't say much sensible or probably relevant, he is a statesman with few equals.

".....he is a statesman with few equals."

In case anyone fails to see your irony, here is the definition of a "statesman"wink.png

1. : one versed in the principles or art of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government or in shaping its policies

2. : a wise, skillful, and respected political leader"

3. Merriam Webster

There will probably be an "election" next year so the ptb can say look we did as we promised but don't expect anything like a democracy coming out of it apart from something like the extensive military involvement Myanmar has had for many years until the recent leaps forward.

I have the same feeling. I think there will be an election next year, but it will be a sham, and likely rigged to allow the military to remain in control.

The problem I see is, what will happen if the PTP put on a strong showing and actually win a majority? I cannot see the military allowing that to happen, in which case I think a mass uprising is quite likely.

This junta is doomed to total failure. Unfortunately their demise is likely to be very messy as I just do not see Prayut ever seeing the light and realizing the futility of it all.

Prayut will go down in history all right, but not as the man who saved Thailand.

In my few years here I have built an array of connections. Thai people some who are very very nice and educated as they went OVERSEAS for their education and formative years.

ALL of them fear what is about to explode in Thailand and ALL have urged me to depart ASAP for my own safety and good. Some of these are people in VERY HIGH placements and places. I am taking heed of their valuable and esteemed knowledge and rushing to the departure gates.

THINK carefully as this country is about to explode on so many fronts never before seen here.

-> yeah it's building up and then there's that inevitable thing to happen which can only be mentioned cryptically... The combination of that event and Thai dis-politics could result in a big bang (not big banging!)

I have the same feeling. I think there will be an election next year, but it will be a sham, and likely rigged to allow the military to remain in control.

The problem I see is, what will happen if the PTP put on a strong showing and actually win a majority? I cannot see the military allowing that to happen, in which case I think a mass uprising is quite likely.

This junta is doomed to total failure. Unfortunately their demise is likely to be very messy as I just do not see Prayut ever seeing the light and realizing the futility of it all.

Prayut will go down in history all right, but not as the man who saved Thailand.

It's an interesting scenario. Another rinse and repeat coup and constitution I suppose is all that could be done.

(Frankly, the following list of jolly junta juxtapositions would have been so like shooting fish in a barrel I gave up after the first three.)

Dialogue and monologue.

Discussion and dictation.

Transparency and disclosure.

A. This PM doesn't understand these concepts himself

B. He knows very well what he's doing, which is preventing others from understanding the concepts

C. Everybody except The Lawmaker Himself doesn't understand, but that's OK because they can be helped.

Choose the correct answer and you may sing how you now know your ABCs. We'll all be hugely impressed and give you the number one seat at the United Nations...

...the hot seat.

hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by Squeegee

Many Thais are poor and ill educated.

Check. Not many, most. IMHO

They TRUST their systems of Government to care and look after them. AND that is what a Government is supposed to do in all countries.

Check

Here that trust has been used against them for no good and ill gotten gain.

Check

I truly feel sorry as knowing no better they will accept what is shoved upon them. We know better and that is why we are so angry. Everyone on here has merit and that is the freedom we have grown to enjoy and display and what is taken away here.

Check. That's the whole point of the conscious policy to keep them superstitious,, uneducated and stupid. That way they swallow whatever sh|t is handed to them, and stay loyal. The Thai people are waking up slowly, and this policy, handed down from the top of the tree is going to bite the inhabitants of the tree very hard indeed. Unless you're 103 and feeling poorly, the probability is that you'll see it happen.

Even if we do not agree with each other we in fact respect the fact that we can disagree. Thia people cannot and this MORON is making sure they don't get that chance

Check

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Of course he could, alternatively, actually DO something instead of spouting hot air. Like:

Sort out the corrupt Koh Tao fiasco

Have drunken billionaire drivers arrested

Have hypochondriac monks who cock a snook at the law arrested

Have monks who freeze tiger kittens brought to justice.

Hey! He might even get some respect.

The experience of other countries suggests that were Thais to actually use "Social Media" constructively

rather than as a vanity aid, he would be unable to resist its force. At present it appears the population is revelling in spinelessness.

'