Muhammad Ali, who riveted the world as 'The Greatest,' dies

rooster59

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Meeeeeehhhh,,,he said that thing once, which I didn't like and then he prayed to that God, that I don't like! And then, he didn't go to 'Nam like me and my other redneck 'Murican friends! Oh and then, he was for the Negro and that makes him a racist and not them other real 'Murican folk, who made him sit in the back of the bus! So now, I call him a draft-dodger and have to belittle his athletic achievements, his work for charity and the underpriviledged, mainly because I am too dumb to understand any of it and why he was beloved and respected the world over!"

As I lived through those times, I'm not going to judge the choices he made back then. I would judge war criminals such as at My Lai but I wouldn't judge people who wore pink panties to the draft board ...

Most of the boys drafted into that war were poor and minorities who didn't have a way out, like so many richer and whiter boys did.

Yes I know many volunteered as well, and they deserve respect for their choices too.

Edited by Jingthing

I just hope nobody calls him a genius, he was certainly a good boxer in his day but not a patriotic American, and hardly a modest man, nor a good husband or father. He was a serial adulterer and misogynist. Many of his early views were very racist. Certainly an icon of the 60's who had some good qualities despite his faults.

“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”

Samuel Johnson

“Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious”

Oscar Wilde

“Patriotism ... is a superstition artificially created and maintained through a network of lies and falsehoods; a superstition that robs man of his self-respect and dignity, and increases his arrogance and conceit.”

Emma Goldman

“You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.”

George Bernard Shaw, Heartbreak House

“In every age it has been the tyrant, the oppressor and the exploiter who has wrapped himself in the cloak of patriotism, or religion, or both to deceive and overawe the People."

(Canton, OH, Anti-War Speech, June 16, 1918)”

Eugene V. Debs, Voices of a People's History of the United States

“But you know as well as I, patriotism is a word; and one that generally comes to mean either my country, right or wrong, which is infamous, or my country is always right, which is imbecile.”

Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander

“Today everybody is talking about the fact that we live in one world; because of globalization, we are all part of the same planet. They talk that way, but do they mean it? We should remind them that the words of the Declaration [of Independence] apply not only to people in this country, but also to people all over the world. People everywhere have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. When the government becomes destructive of that, then it is patriotic to dissent and to criticize - to do what we always praise and call heroic when we look upon the dissenters and critics in totalitarian countries who dare to speak out.”

Howard Zinn, Artists in Times of War and Other Essays

“There are two kinds of patriotism -- monarchical patriotism and republican patriotism. In the one case the government and the king may rightfully furnish you their notions of patriotism; in the other, neither the government nor the entire nation is privileged to dictate to any individual what the form of his patriotism shall be. The gospel of the monarchical patriotism is: "The King can do no wrong." We have adopted it with all its servility, with an unimportant change in the wording: "Our country, right or wrong!" We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had:-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.”

Mark Twain

I just hope nobody calls him a genius, he was certainly a good boxer in his day but not a patriotic American, and hardly a modest man, nor a good husband or father. He was a serial adulterer and misogynist. Many of his early views were very racist. Certainly an icon of the 60's who had some good qualities despite his faults.

“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”

Samuel Johnson

“Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious”

Oscar Wilde

“Patriotism ... is a superstition artificially created and maintained through a network of lies and falsehoods; a superstition that robs man of his self-respect and dignity, and increases his arrogance and conceit.”

Emma Goldman

“You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.”

George Bernard Shaw, Heartbreak House

“In every age it has been the tyrant, the oppressor and the exploiter who has wrapped himself in the cloak of patriotism, or religion, or both to deceive and overawe the People."

(Canton, OH, Anti-War Speech, June 16, 1918)”

Eugene V. Debs, Voices of a People's History of the United States

“But you know as well as I, patriotism is a word; and one that generally comes to mean either my country, right or wrong, which is infamous, or my country is always right, which is imbecile.”

Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander

“Today everybody is talking about the fact that we live in one world; because of globalization, we are all part of the same planet. They talk that way, but do they mean it? We should remind them that the words of the Declaration [of Independence] apply not only to people in this country, but also to people all over the world. People everywhere have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. When the government becomes destructive of that, then it is patriotic to dissent and to criticize - to do what we always praise and call heroic when we look upon the dissenters and critics in totalitarian countries who dare to speak out.”

Howard Zinn, Artists in Times of War and Other Essays

“There are two kinds of patriotism -- monarchical patriotism and republican patriotism. In the one case the government and the king may rightfully furnish you their notions of patriotism; in the other, neither the government nor the entire nation is privileged to dictate to any individual what the form of his patriotism shall be. The gospel of the monarchical patriotism is: "The King can do no wrong." We have adopted it with all its servility, with an unimportant change in the wording: "Our country, right or wrong!" We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had:-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.”

Mark Twain

A great sports man with a kind heart.

Refused to be called up for Vietnam... good on him, I still to this day question the USA involvement in that war.

Pretty much everyone does.

But I still think that Americans didn't treat the returning vets well.

Some really were spit at.

Those that were drafted had little choice and those that volunteered made the mistake of trusting their government and being patriotic, there are a lot worse things than that.

Many of the early followers of Elijah Muhammed and the Black Muslim movement were at one time advocating a separatist movement within the United States as racism had reached such a pitch, a black person just could not live peacefully and succeed in mainstream America. I never found the movement to be racist and anyone who knows anything about it thinks the same way. Ali had a Caucasian manager- Angelo Dundee and had many 'white' friends among his admirers and entourage. In addition many of the movement eventually moved into 'white' neighborhoods to reside breaking down barriers. While the movement did not advocate violence per se- people like Malcolm X- indicated that if a white person tried to strike at him - he would strike first. "I don't call this violence- I call it intelligence.' Malcolm eventually was assassinated and Elijah Mumamed died in 1975. Ali in the meantime resumed his career and continued as a devout Muslim but the movement eventually abandoned the separatist philosophy. There were many more radical black nationalist leaders than Al such as Bobbby Seale; Eldridge Clever and Angela Davis who advocated violence and killing police. Ali never supported these people.

Racism still is a problem in America although not as prevalent as in the 60s and 70s. I never met a black person who was racist by nature but I have met many whites who are. Muhammed Ali tried to use his fame to make the World a better place He was no racist.

Too bad he his dead. Would have loved to have seen the draft dodger suffer some more in his illness. A disgrace to Americans.

I would of loved to have seen you face up to the man and make such a suggestion and then watched his left knock your buck teeth half way down your throat........would of been a real hoot.

Having watched people with Parkinson's I wouldn't wish it upon anyone but you DEFINATELY deserve your illness, you daft dodger. Chao.

I would never face a draft dodging racist Muslim you are right.

Changing your religion to Islam to avoid the draft...piece of trash and and insult to veterans worldwide.

Too bad he his dead. Would have loved to have seen the draft dodger suffer some more in his illness. A disgrace to Americans.

I would of loved to have seen you face up to the man and make such a suggestion and then watched his left knock your buck teeth half way down your throat........would of been a real hoot.

Having watched people with Parkinson's I wouldn't wish it upon anyone but you DEFINATELY deserve your illness, you daft dodger. Chao.

I would never face a draft dodging racist Muslim you are right.

Changing your religion to Islam to avoid the draft...piece of trash and and insult to veterans worldwide.

But you will stab a dead man in the back.......using the power of your keyboard from the safety of your 2000 baht monthly rental. And you achieved what in your life? Pattaya drunk? Soi ladyboy spunk regular?

Take a look in the mirror, keep your bucket ready.

Anyone who's had a family member or friend suffer at the hands of Parkinson's would never wish it upon anyone, it's a cruel illness with obviously no cure, if fact little is really understood about it but I've lost two people close to me with it and it's shockingly cruel.

His like will ever be seen a gain.

Who bubba?

They arrive by the plane load. Into LOS everyday, real champions in the game of life.

Kind of like those that spends hours pissing and moaning about the sad state of countries far, far away and other matters that does not impact them.

Ali was a totally cool dude. Outspoken, boisterous, and full of life. Boxing didn't cause his Parkinson and he boxed late in age for the money, the love of the sport and because that's who he was. Nothing to do with American oppression as some pathetic souls want to suggest. Islam, draft issues . . . Who cares. People do lots of things in life to cope with their situations and internal struggles. We all have them and we all cope the best we can. Being a judgmental fool is simply another fine example if a coping skill.

Edited by F430murci

When i was a kid,my granddad was a bus driver for London transport.They had a big social side,which included a sports day for all us family members. I remember winning one of the races on the day.The prize givers were either Chris Chatterway,or Roger Bannister.This particular year it was Henry Cooper.He was a local lad,from Bellingham,where my mums family were from.he had a brother called George,who fought under the name 'Jim'he gave me my prize,it was a blue Airfix sailing ship.

When i was much older,i was working as an Engineer on a project known as 'Holborn Bars" in London.Ali came to the W H Smith in Holborn to sign his book,'The Greatest" I met him and got him to sign my copy.He was full of Parkinsons and could hardly hold a pen.But,the amazing part was that he never had a mark on him.

i remember the Cooper /Ali fight and to be honest 'our 'Enry" never stood a chance,he was out classed and out boxed.

I thought Ali was the best,i even told him that when i met him,"you'll always be the champ to me"

As a boxer/sportsman he was second to none,but i cant forget that when he converted,suddenly the white man was the Devil,slave name,and all that shit,guilded the lustre of Ali,for me

Its a shame he's gone and no,we will never see the like of him again,and i am glad to have met Ali and Cooper,in my life time.2 men from opposite spectrums but both my hero's.

Goon night sweet prince,let hosts of Angels guide you to your rest..But you were,at times an absolute bastard.

I was never a boxing fan and I hold in ultimate disdain Louis Farrakhan, but Ali was one of the very few people from my own lifetime who became a hero in my eyes. Like others, such as the great Malcom X, Ali was originally attracted to the early charisma of Farrakhan, but soon became more enlightened and rejected Farrakhan's messages of hate and turned away from the Nation of Islam. Ali has some other flaws, he was not god-sent profit. But there are no such charismatic people allowed to matter these days. Today we only get celebrities and trending Internet sensations and the shallowness of the post-modern Millennials.

He was a genius...

No he was not, Einstein was a genius, Newton was a genius and Shakespeare. Somebody dancing around a ring hitting people and getting brain damage in the process is not genius. He was a great boxer and self promoter, that does not make him a genius unless the word has become so diluted and over used to be almost meaningless these days.

post-147745-0-85157500-1465050978_thumb.He was my hero and not just for his athletic achievements.

He was a great man in many ways outside of the ring.

Unfortunately, I am waiting for the recist and the haters to start bashing him.

He was a black man.

He was a Muslim man.

He refused to fight in an unjust war back in the 1960s when that was very taboo in order to stand up for his principals and was punished for it.

These are things I respect him for that I am sure others will hate him for.

Muhammad, you were the greatest and as yo often told us, you were pretty too!

You will be missed.

Thank you for all you did and taught many of us.

post-147745-0-85157500-1465050978_thumb.