PM advises Thais to "use their brains and intellect" in wake of Tiger Temple raids

Following up on my glib response earlier - it turns out that being "openhearted" is actually a thing.

post-140919-0-87680800-1465090964_thumb.

Does this mean it's okay to speak freely now, and express your unvarnished opinions? Isn't this exactly what the speech police are clamping down on?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long before the PM came on the scene an ex-gf constantly repeated that the Thai govt didn't want the people educated. It was a generalisation not meaning any particular govt.

I think we see what she and others saying it mean only too well.

Currently the junta exercises excessive power, some would say they're repressive, and criticism, speaking out etc is a sure way to get into trouble and now the PM insults the people by telling them to use their brains.

He should have said use wisely, carefully and never forget that line that must not be crossed.

So he's trying to persuade everyone that nothing really happened at the 'Tiger temple'..?

Tell you what Mr...check the freezer contents..it most certainly happened for them..!!!

What on earth are you going on about?

He is actually telling people not to trust places simply because they are temples.

Read this part again - "Who could believe that such goings on could happen at a temple, " he said. It was good that a search was carried out to discover the truth and people should be careful before putting their trust in such places.

The opposite to your comment.

Give him credit for this. I've waited years for a senior Thai with a public voice to downgrade these lowlife, dishonest, lazy bums. They are vermin.

I think what he's trying to say is never judge a book by its cover but he got there is a round about way.

"Open your hearts and use your intellect to discover the truth."

Says the man running a country that enforces several laws against people speaking the truth... coffee1.gif

Arrogance, complete and utter arrogance reflecting only too well how hiso, VIP Thais think and operate.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

The environmentalists, the activists and the Generation Y kids already know, but your resolute regime-that-must-not-be-shamed are cracking them down for ruining Thailand's image..

Does it matter WHY they did it? Can you not appreciate that at last somebody did something about this debacle?

Through a government spokesman, Sansern Kaewkamnert, the PM said Saturday that the events of this week should serve as a life lesson in discovering the truth.

The truth today.

Not sure Sansern Clod is in a really good position to pontificate about truth...

W

The environmentalists, the activists and the Generation Y kids already know, but your resolute regime-that-must-not-be-shamed are cracking them down for ruining Thailand's image..

Does it matter WHY they did it? Can you not appreciate that at last somebody did something about this debacle?

Well it's just another day where the responsible authorities ONLY take international lip service flattery action, IF they "against-all-their-resentful-wills HAVE TO....

He added: "It is like when you see a soldier in uniform. Don't just believe because he is a soldier he must be strong and healthy. Maybe he is sick not healthy.

That is an interesting comment from a (former) general.

Interesting indeed,

I have no idea what the moral of the story is? I do know that I like a good bedtime story and wish Prayuth could read another one for me.

I guarantee that the bedtime story (fairy tale) would end with "and they all lived happily ever after."

And then everyone wakes up with the reality.

Well it's just another day where the responsible authorities ONLY take international lip service flattery action, IF they "against-all-their-resentful-wills HAVE TO....

So the answer to the second question is "NO".

The PM should be a role model for the younger generation, but how can they aspire to a man who is destroying Thai Buddhism.

I see there is a thread on Thai culture. Let me share some of this culture with you.

Never underestimate the importance and respect shown to monks in Thailand.

Edited by Wilsonandson

The advice to use one's brains is very welcome - but surprising (coming from this quarter) in its reference to questioning the validity and integrity of monks. I always thought that to cast doubt upon the venerable institution of the monkhood (one of the bastions of the nation) was to prove oneself very unpatriotic and un-Thai - a traitor against exalted 'Thai-ness' - and that the social consequences for such 'impolite' behaviour could be stern and severe. But it seems I was wrong (today, at least - as things are always in a state of flux here ....).

Let me get this straight: saying that if someone is surprised that criminal behaviour happened in a temple they must have been born yesterday, is considered anti-coup :blink::huh:

Edited by SABloke

The PM should be a role model for the younger generation, but how can they aspire to a man who is destroying Thai Buddhism.

I see there is a thread on Thai culture. Let me share some of this culture with you.

Never underestimate the importance and respect shown to monks in Thailand.

think you will find the monks are destroying buddhism in Thailand all,by themselves, you only have to read any of the thai papers to see it. We have one monk on the run who has millions at his disposal through corrupt practices, we have graft and corruption, rapes, drugs, drunks, illegal sales of tiger parts etc, conning people out of their money, refusal to obey the countries laws, faking illness to avoid having to face prosecution in a fraud case etc. Seems you are blinded by your personal bias for the pm and are incapable of rational thinking, maybe less time in the bar may help clear your muddled brain, anyone able to read or open their eyes is well aware that there are monks/temples that are simply not abiding by buddhist requirements, anyone pointing this out is just telling the truth, the only people destroying the religion are those that are supposed to be teaching/abiding by it.

"So don't think that all monks or all temples display good conduct. Conduct can be rotten to the core. Open your hearts and use your intellect to discover the truth."

Is this guy muslim?

"...use your intellect to discover the truth." doesn't sound like any muslim that I've heard of.

Do you know any?

Doubtful.

PM advises Thais to "use their brains and intellect" in wake of Tiger Temple raids

My advice is to only use one at a time, not both at once, as this could lead to too much critical thinking and even veer from target!

This whole thing with Tigers is beyond words beyond belief beyond reason MONKS and a TEMPLE This is depravity at its lowest . It is not

situations like the elderly couple who where attacked by some thugs that where just sentenced to jail that will hurt the image of Thailand after the video of the event was leaked .

It is situations like this at the tiger temple what will stay in the minds of people thinking about vacationing in Thailand that hurts the image of Thailand far more . The trafficing in tiger parts has been going on for years at that temple

The attack on the elderly was just an isolated case

Shame on you Thailand Shame on you

Edited by realenglish1

Napoleon you should know better ... it is not possible in Thailand... Thainess is about who can gain the most at the detriment of someone else...