hard mattress - sciatica problems

sspacer

I am in Bangkok now and the hard mattresses that they have here are making my sciatica flare up. It is on my left side and must

be inflamed now because it hurts constantly. Sleeping on my right side gives me some relief but the pain is still there. Any suggestions

on something I can sleep on to help? Do they sell Aleve/Naproxen here? What is the thai name for it?

The other one that can help is the type of quilt that Thias use to sleep on the floor, its about an inch thick. lay that on the mattress.

Other idea that can help is to place a pillow between your knees.And dont have your head too high, try to keep it level, with the pillow filling the gap between shoulder and head and no more.

Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem and searched online for a 2 inch depth memory foam topper but they were too exoensive, but fortunately I came across a store in a local mall in Hat Yai selling king size memory toppers for under 3000 thb...... No back pain since I used it

Yes, they sell Naproxen here. Pay attention to the dose, because it's not the same strength as Aleve. You should be able to get it at any pharmacy without a prescription, cheap and very effective. Be sure to take it after you've had a little something to eat.

Good suggestions on mattress toppers.

I've found I get relief if I exercise with a recumbent bicycle regularly. It strengthens my back muscles.

Try using one of the long cylindical pillows and sleep on your side with your leg over it.

Also google piriformis muscle stretchs. And pelvic tilt exercises. Both standing and supine. They look silly and when done standing kinda ineffective. But they really really helped me.

My piriformis muscle is pierced by the nerve so the streching really helps.

You can also get an inflatable air mattress from Lazada, less expensive than the foam and easier if you are travelling as it deflates. I too find the thai beds unendurable and take one with me whenever I travel.

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-outdoor-adventure/?q=air%20bed&searchclickposition=cat2

make sure you get one with a pump or else get the pump separately

As for NSAIDs, dozens of brands available. Naproxen, ibuprofen, diflonac etc etc. Ask by the generic name (or just ask for medicine for back pain) as brand names here differ.

IKEA at Mega Bang Na has a extensive range of bed pads, starting with a 6' foam model down to 1", most are available in standard bed sizes. Delivery available but not free.

Free bus to Mega from below the Udom Suk BTS platform in front of 7-11. Use BTS exit #1. The return bus picks up in front of the Ikea main drive, usually every 30 minutes but rush hours can be significantly longer. A taxi to or from Udom Suk runs about B80-100. Saturday/Sunday very crowded.

Edited by dddave

I wound up taking the cheap way out. I am not tall - 5 feet 5 inches so I was able to get way with buying a foam pillow at Tesco Lotus for $6 and I sleep with that underneath my side. It works fine. thanks for all of you suggestion. I appreciate knowing about the free bus to Mega.

• 2 months later...