Philippines - Duterte watch

Maybe it is time to have a thread monitoring Duterte, the incoming president of SEA's bottom.

So far he has announced that police will kill suspected drug dealers and others involved in the trade. Police officers are to stop drug dealing. Then he announced a purge of police generals suspected of drug dealing but remained so far due to lack of evidence. Finally, on Saturday he encouraged common people to arrest or kill criminals anyway. The latter statement is an open endorsement of death squads.

He also threatened journalists with death in case of disrespect (last week on Tuesday).

On top of that he has included a representative of the Ampatuan clan, who massacred 57 people in 2009, most of them women and journalists in his team.

Aside from that he has dismissed the UN and its human rights charter.

Insulted the pope as an sob and 'warned' the Catholic church not to 'f..k' with him.

His attitudes towards rape (positive if he can participate) and on women in general were well covered in the past 2 months.

In sum, he is hurriedly building up and extending informal authority and lethal structures. Attacking independent reporting on a national scale, following the model he used in his stronghold Davao. The latter place is according to official police reports the Philippines' murder capitol but the killings go unreported- or under-reported.

Due legal process appears to be progressively abandoned.

We watch the making of a new dictatorship.

So let's keep a record of this person and his cronies. To keep it informative, I suggest that people who do not believe in law and order, rule of law, human rights, a free press, equal rights for women etc. open a Duterte fan thread and leave this alone.

Perhaps we could focus on posting newspaper clipping like a recent Guardian article and quotes from the Phils press.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guy is a sadistic raving lunatic who is very in humane.

Don't like you neighbor report him to the police as an alleged drug dealer the cops shoot him Dirty gives the cops medals and the Mayor pays them a bounty.

He will make the days of the wild west look a fairy story

This is from the Guardian, for the rest following the link:

The Philippines’ president elect, Rodrigo Duterte, has caused new outrage this week, for first seemingly threatening journalists with assassination and then catcalling GMA reporter Mariz Umali during a live broadcast press conference. While such behaviour is hardly out of character, his choice of target is telling. With an already weak and vulnerable free press, journalism arguably has not been as threatened as this (from the presidential palace, at least) since the Marcos dictatorship. Yet the press remains in thrall to the monster that – some outlets more than others – helped to create.

It has been a fairly standard week for Duterte who, since a landslide victory less than a month ago, has already taken aim at the Catholic church – warning them “Don’t <deleted> with me”. He has told the military to “shut up” about concerns they have about Duterte going beyond reconciliation with rebel communist groups and offered official positions in his administration to people accused of mass murder.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/03/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-nofilter-president-no-joke-journalists-women

This is on the free to shoot by ordinary citizens policy

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/05/kill-drug-dealers-medal-philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte

From a few filipinos I've spoken to they welcome there new president, when i tried to point out that it could turn to a dictatorship they weren't listening, i guess the situation there has got them to the point where they want to see a meaningful change and expecting a transformation in crime and the economy.

These people have suffered under Marcos and others for decades so a dictatorship by one, or a dictatorship by a few "leading" oligarchs isn't much different. He was duly elected in a seemingly fair election...this is what democracy sometimes produces, results you might not agree with. Rhetoric is one thing, actions are another...people in the Philippines are obviously fed up with the status quo.

These people have suffered under Marcos and others for decades so a dictatorship by one, or a dictatorship by a few "leading" oligarchs isn't much different. He was duly elected in a seemingly fair election...this is what democracy sometimes produces, results you might not agree with. Rhetoric is one thing, actions are another...people in the Philippines are obviously fed up with the status quo.

Edited by off road pat

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. "Winston Churchill"
Edited by off road pat

Please help me understand. I'm no expert on the Philippines whatsoever, but from what I gathered during my most recent trip there last year and what I've read, Duterte is the reason many foreigners chose Davao as one of the best places to live in the Philippines. Supposedly it is the safest city in the Philippines, the only non smoking city, the only city with 911 service, etc. If he is so bad, why was his city so good compared to most of the rest of the Philippines? And wouldn't his success in Davao translate into a better Philippines if implemented countrywide?

Thank you in advance.

Please help me understand. I'm no expert on the Philippines whatsoever, but from what I gathered during my most recent trip there last year and what I've read, Duterte is the reason many foreigners chose Davao as one of the best places to live in the Philippines. Supposedly it is the safest city in the Philippines, the only non smoking city, the only city with 911 service, etc. If he is so bad, why was his city so good compared to most of the rest of the Philippines? And wouldn't his success in Davao translate into a better Philippines if implemented countrywide?

Thank you in advance.

I don't know you Sir, but I am pretty sure even you will understand one can not just start executing people without their day in court.

A very few out of 100s of examples:

One can not just shoot and kill a reporter because you don't like his articles.

You just don't execute a person who is addicted to drugs. What about alcoholics?

You don't just shoot and kill your neighbor because you think he is a criminal.

By the way, how criminal can one be, without execution? Shoplifting? Run a red light? Smoking in Davao?

Don't agree with his methods but you can't argue with his results when it comes to Davao (it #was# the murder capital / wild west of the Philippines but is now regularly cited as it's safest city), the general population there view him as a hero.

LKY was no angel either but look what he managed to do for Singapore.

Edited by JB300

Don't agree with his methods but you can't argue with his results when it comes to Davao (it #was# the murder capital / wild west of the Philippines but is now regularly cited as it's safest city), the general population there view him as a hero.

Yes, these ideas can easily be transferred to 100 million people.

Definitely not suggesting they can & think he'll struggle in Manila (maybe even get a taste of his own medicine).

But having been to Davao many times over the past 7 years, I can tell you the city there is a lot safer than Manila, Cebu etc... And the people seem a lot more laid back & relaxed about their lives.

Edited by JB300

Definitely not suggesting they can & think he'll struggle in Manila (maybe even get a taste of his own medicine).

But having been to Davao many times over the past 7 years, I can tell you the city there is a lot safer than Manila, Cebu etc... And the people seem a lot more laid back & relaxed about their lives.

I see your point, and I know he did well with his one city, as mayor.

However, it is an entire new ball game now, where he can not be the mayor of the Philippines.

According to the PNP (Philippines National Police) Davao IS (!) the murder capital of the Philippines. The killings go largely unreported - remember Duterte's demand for 'respect' from reporters? (Check some movies by Martin Scorsese for the definition of respect). Take a look here for a statement on reporters: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/31/asia/philippines-duterte-journalists/

The killings by the Davao Death Squad include wide areas including Tagum to the north and Digos to the South. The victims include street children and beggars.

As for the rhetoric argument. 12 days ago the shooting started. General Santos City is also a smoke-free city. The mayor is an ally of Duterte. There is no indication for an independent investigation. It seems the police report suffices. The implications are obvious, me thinks....

4 drug suspects killed in General Santos City shootout

KORONADAL CITY, Philippines—Four drug suspects were killed when they traded shots with the police in General Santos City on Thursday evening, authorities said.

Superintendent Maximo Sebastian Jr., chief of the Regional Special Investigation Detection Team, said on Friday that policemen—backed by a search warrant—tried to enter the house of Banny Marohombsar in Barangay (village) Labangal around 9 p.m. but were met with gunfire.

He said the operating team returned fire and engaged Marohombsar and his companions in a shootout.

Marohombsar, Jasper Calapia Tondog, James Mercado and a certain “Pogi” were killed. Another suspect, identified as Tintin Tan, was arrested.

Recovered from Tan was a .45 caliber pistol. Several other guns and a still undetermined amount of illegal drugs were also recovered alongside the slain victims.

“He (Marohombsar) had been in our watch list for so long already,” Sebastian said. RAM/rga

Philippines President Duterte offering bounties to public to kill criminals

14.png

Agence France-Presse

05 Jun 2016 at 08:27 ET

The Philippines’ president elect Rodrigo Duterte urged the public to join his anti-crime crackdown, offering people huge bounties for killing drug dealers.

His announcement late Saturday came as other officials began paying bounties for slain suspected criminals in an apparent attempt to ride on Duterte’s success.

Duterte won the presidential election last month, running on a platform of a ruthless anti-crime campaign.

After previously saying he would unleash the military and police on criminals, Duterte said the public could go after them as well.

“If they are there in your neighbourhood, feel free to call us, the police or do it yourself if you have the gun. You have my support,” he told his cheering followers.

“If he fights and fights to the death, you can kill him,” he said, adding: “I will give you a medal.”

He stressed that drug addicts could not be rehabilitated and warned, “if you are involved in drugs, I will kill you. You son of a whore, I will really kill you.”

Duterte reiterated that his anti-crime campaign would be “a bloody war,” as he offered money for slain drug lords.

“I will pay, for a drug lord: five million (pesos)($107,000) if he is dead. If he is alive, only 4.999 million,” he laughed.

Duterte, who takes office on June 30 and is the longtime mayor of the southern city of Davao, also offered smaller amounts for lower-ranked figures involved in the drug trade.

He did not say how a private citizen could identify suspects.

Duterte has previously been linked with vigilante “death squads” that have killed scores of people in Davao and has vowed to widen his campaign when he becomes president.

Others have followed his lead with the elected mayor of the central city of Cebu, Tomas Osmena, admitting he paid more than $3,000 to police officers for killing drug traffickers.

Duterte and other officials have previously brushed aside warnings from human rights groups about the dangers of such a policy.

For the collection: His remarks on Pope Francis, his announced apology (rhetoric), and non-apology (reality):

Philippines' Duterte says no personal pope apology for 'whore' jibe

Philippine president-elect Rodrigo Duterte said Sunday he had cancelled plans to visit the Vatican to personally apologise for calling the pope a "son of a whore".

"No more. That's enough," Duterte told reporters when asked about the planned trip, pointing out he had already sent a letter of apology.

He said the trip "could be an exercise in duplicity".

Duterte, 71, the longtime mayor of southern Davao city, won the May 9 election in a landslide following an incendiary campaign in which he gleefully used foul language to disrespect authority figures.

In a rambling speech to announce his presidential run, Duterte lashed out at Pope Francis for causing traffic jams in Manila when he visited the mainly Catholic nation last year.

"It took us five hours to get from the hotel to the airport. I asked who was coming. They said it was the pope. I wanted to call him: 'Pope, son of a whore, go home. Don't visit anymore'," said Duterte.

Catholic Church leaders condemned Duterte's comments but, like many other of his controversial remarks on the campaign, they had little impact on his popularity.

Duterte sent an apology letter to the pope during the campaign and received a response from the Vatican offering "the assurance of prayers".

Duterte had said the pope was the victim of a "stray bullet" resulting from his gutter language and frustration with government incompetence.

He also flagged a visit to the Vatican for the personal apology and his spokesman confirmed on Thursday that Duterte still planned to make the trip.

But Duterte, in his first press conference since election day, said Sunday night he had changed his mind.

"I might go there (the Vatican) and they will say, 'We are taking back the prayers'," he said.

Duterte emphasised that a senior figure of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines said "it's not clear whether I was forgiven".

"But you know God is my friend (and) I ask him if I've been forgiven for all the sins I've committed on this planet," he said, adding that God replied: "Now and forever".

Duterte, who is due to be sworn into office on June 30 for a term of six years, was raised a Catholic.

But among his closest friends and advisers is Apollo Quiboloy, leader of the Davao-based Kingdom of Jesus Christ religious group who calls himself "the Appointed Son of God".

ajm-kma/as

AFP
Edited by mike2011

Duterte and the Ampatuan clan. Before the massacre, Duterte had turned over a neighborhood in Davao to the clan where they could block roads and walk around with illegal weapons in order to secure their Davao compound. Law and order Duterte stile.

Now a clan representative is part of the administration :

Duterte choice of press chief questioned by Ampatuan victims’ kin

The relatives of the Ampatuan massacre victims on Thursday said presumptive President Rodrigo Duterte did not make the right choice in his presidential spokesperson.

“I am not comfortable. This is not right,” Mary Grace Morales said in a statement released by the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP).

She is the wife of Rosell Morales, circulation manager of the community paper News Focus who died in the massacre.

READ: Maguindanao massacre: Victims’ kin losing hope / No justice yet for victims of Maguindanao carnage

The Duterte camp earlier announced that lawyer Salvador Panelo will serve as the incoming President’s spokesman and press secretary.

READ: Panelo says he’ll be sole spokesman of Duterte

Panelo represented Andal Ampatuan Jr., one of the suspects in the massacre, in court.

Morales said her husband’s case will not prosper with Panelo in Malacañang.

“While it is on record that Panelo withdrew as counsel for Andal Ampatuan Jr. in early December last year, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines expresses serious misgivings about his potential appointment as presidential spokesman and its possible implications on the trial of those accused of what is acknowledged as the single deadliest attack on the press in history and one of the worst incidents of electoral violence in the country,” NUJP said.

The group said it recognizes the right of any accused to a defense but that they also share the fears of the relatives.

“We urge the incoming government not to let political considerations get in the way of ensuring justice for the victims of the Ampatuan massacre,” NUJP chairperson Ryan Rosauro said.

He said the group will closely monitor the incoming Duterte administration’s adherence to the freedom of expression and the freedom of the press.

“This includes remaining vigilant about the progress of the trial of those accused of the single deadliest assault on media in history,” Rosauro said. TVJ/rga

Today's news on vigilantes:

Vigilante killings alarm CHR, church execs

ILOILO CITY—The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) in the Western Visayas region and the Catholic Church have raised concerns over what appears to be cases of summary executions following the repeated threats of President-elect Rodrigo Duterte that he would order the killing of drug lords and criminals.

While it remains unclear as to who were behind the killings, the CHR fears that more vigilante-type killings will happen.

“Killing, even of criminal offenders, is a crime, unless [the death penalty] is legalized. Vigilantism will spur human rights violations even if the intentions could be well,” David Bermudo, the agency’s regional director, told the Inquirer.

Five men believed to be criminals or had records of criminal involvement had been shot and killed in different provinces in Negros and Western Visayas from Thursday to Saturday. Two in Iloilo City and Leganes town in Iloilo province were found with their hands tied.

Due process

Bermudo said due process should be given those suspected to be involved in crimes. “There should be presumption of innocence. But now, there appears to be presumption of guilt even if one is suspected of [committing] a crime,” he said.

Even those found guilty of committing any crime should not be killed, he added.

The CHR is also concerned about the rising criminality and wants an end to the proliferation of illegal drugs, Bermudo said. “But it should not be through [summary killings].”

Right to life

Msgr. Meliton Oso, social action director of the Archdioces of Jaro, said the killings “whether these are being done by people in government or vigilantes, violate the basic right of persons to life.”

These could have been encouraged by “what we have heard from the coming dispensation,” he said.

President-elect Rodrigo Duterte, during a speech in his thanksgiving party in Davao City, said he had raised the bounty for killing drug lords from P3 million to P5 million.

He said he would offer P2 million as a reward for every slain illegal drug “distributor” and P50,000 for small-time drug peddlers.

Duterte also urged citizens to arrest drug traffickers in their communities and shoot them if they resisted arrest and put people’s lives in danger.

Oso, who has been conducting teachings and interaction with prisoners, said he was sad that many seemed to approve of the summary killings of criminals.

“I also want to solve the illegal drug problem because of the harm that it has brought to our youth and society. But let it be done by the law [and with] due process,” he said.

“God does not wish the death of a sinful man. He wishes for their conversion,” Oso said, citing Biblical teachings.

Bermudo called on law enforcement agencies to investigate and resolve the killings. “We can only enforce the law in accordance with the law. It should not be through illegal [means],” he said.

According to the PNP (Philippines National Police) Davao IS (!) the murder capital of the Philippines. The killings go largely unreported - remember Duterte's demand for 'respect' from reporters? (Check some movies by Martin Scorsese for the definition of respect). Take a look here for a statement on reporters: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/31/asia/philippines-duterte-journalists/

The killings by the Davao Death Squad include wide areas including Tagum to the north and Digos to the South. The victims include street children and beggars.

As for the rhetoric argument. 12 days ago the shooting started. General Santos City is also a smoke-free city. The mayor is an ally of Duterte. There is no indication for an independent investigation. It seems the police report suffices. The implications are obvious, me thinks....

4 drug suspects killed in General Santos City shootout

KORONADAL CITY, Philippines—Four drug suspects were killed when they traded shots with the police in General Santos City on Thursday evening, authorities said.

Superintendent Maximo Sebastian Jr., chief of the Regional Special Investigation Detection Team, said on Friday that policemen—backed by a search warrant—tried to enter the house of Banny Marohombsar in Barangay (village) Labangal around 9 p.m. but were met with gunfire.

He said the operating team returned fire and engaged Marohombsar and his companions in a shootout.

Marohombsar, Jasper Calapia Tondog, James Mercado and a certain “Pogi” were killed. Another suspect, identified as Tintin Tan, was arrested.

Recovered from Tan was a .45 caliber pistol. Several other guns and a still undetermined amount of illegal drugs were also recovered alongside the slain victims.

“He (Marohombsar) had been in our watch list for so long already,” Sebastian said. RAM/rga

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/787862/4-drug-suspects-killed-in-general-santos-city-shootout#ixzz4Arxp2Qz5

Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Google beings up loads of results that points to Davao being the safest city in Philippines with this one coming from the Numbeo site http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2015/06/23/davao-now-4th-safest-city-414856 so effectively feedback from people who live there.

My personal experience is that it feels safer than Manila, Cebu & I've stayed many times 30mins north of Tagum (Kapalong) as that's where my Filipina gf of > 6 years is from.

I agree with what you say and also the google results. Manila is awful and not a good place to take a walk at night. The positive feedback from foreigners might be deceiving. Expats often stay within small circles and are not much integrated. Even businessmen are regularly stuck in a small social environment. The DDS does no target foreigners as far as I know. The killings take often the form of a cull of the social disadvantaged as outlined above. Thus, for an expat the murder of streets kids and beggars actually improves well-being while at the same time adds to the murder rate.

Another aspect that can explain the paradox is that DDS killings are nothing else but murder. So making the city safe for the privileged is done by turning the city into a center for assassinations.

Unreported murders include, by the way, people connected to local businesses that compete with Mr. D's campaign financiers.

Numbeo is not too reliable in general. It heavily depends on individual and uncontrolled input. I often found their cost of living info sketchy and at times outright wrong.

As I said earlier, the assessment that Davao "is" the murder capital is that of PNP. They should have some sort of track keeping even if a lot goes unreported.

I do not dispute your point of few, I just think we are as foreigners in a weak position to get a fuller picture. Many foreigners are happy about less break-ins and less chances for a hold-up and turn a blind eye to the killings. It was in Thailand the same in 2003.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/06/10/1591974/full-text-un-chief-on-dutertes-killing-statements

FULL TEXT: UN chief on Duterte's 'killing' statements

(philstar.com) - June 10, 2016 - 8:04am

MANILA, Philippines — Below is the complete transcription of United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon at the UN Correspondents Association Reception in New York City released Thursday night.

In his statement, Ban said he is "extremely disturbed" by President-elect Rodrigo Duterte's apparent endorsement of extrajudicial killing, saying it is a breach of fundamental rights and freedoms.

---

It gives me great pleasure to attend this annual reception and to receive a copy of the UNCA Directory for one final time as Secretary-General of the United Nations.

When I am relaxing with my grandchildren next year and they ask me, “What did you do when you were Secretary-General?” I can show them the photos in this directory and tell them: “I had to answer tough questions from all these people.”

Tomorrow, I will take your questions at a press stakeout, and I know some of them will be hard to answer.

But I am looking forward to it, because I have always valued the work you do. Put simply, we couldn’t succeed without you.

I thank you for all you have done, and once more, I pledge my support for you and all your colleagues.

I will continue to defend the rights of journalists and to do everything possible, publicly and privately, to ensure that journalists have the freedom to work. I am pleased to say that our efforts behind the scenes to free detained journalists have had some success, although we cannot speak publicly about specific cases.

I am extremely disturbed by recent remarks by the President-elect of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte. I unequivocally condemn his apparent endorsement of extrajudicial killing, which is illegal and a breach of fundamental rights and freedoms. Such comments are of particular concern in light of on-going impunity for serious cases of violence against journalists in the Philippines.I will also continue to stand up for the rights of journalists and their defenders to be represented here at the United Nations.

I have expressed my disappointment that the Non-Governmental Organization Committee voted to deny the Committee to Protect Journalists consultative status with the Economic and Social Council.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Today, I want to thank two UNCA members in particular.

Edie Lederer has marked 50 years of service with the Associated Press. Congratulations, Edie!

You are a true pioneer, and I hope and expect that you will hold my successor to account, just as you have done for me! I also thank Lou Charbonneau, who is leaving Reuters to become the new UN Director of Human Rights Watch.

Lou, I am sure you will bring your sharp reporter’s eye to this new task.

And I have presents for each of you.

and there is more:

Duterte to execute 50 convicts per month

Once the Congress restores the death penalty, President-elect Rodrigo Duterte wants 50 convicts to be executed every month by hanging, according to Quezon Representative-elect Danilo Suarez.

“He feels that if at least 50 drug lords and other convicts are hanged every month, their execution will deter crime,” Suarez said yesterday during the Usaping Balita forum at the Serye Café in Quezon City.

The Quezon representative-elect added that Duterte revealed his plans during a meeting with lawmakers on Tuesday led by Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr.

During the meeting with 19 members of the House of Representatives, Duterte also expressed his desire for the death penalty to be restored within six months or before the year ends, describing the reinstatement of capital punishment as an urgent priority.

At the same meeting, Suarez recalled Camarines Sur Representative Rolando Andaya suggesting to set aside funds for the rehabilitation of the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) death chamber in Muntinlupa where the lethal injection executions were carried out.

However, Suarez noted that Duterte declined the suggestion because he preferred to hang convicts to death instead of giving them a lethal injection.

Kabataan Representative Terry Ridon – another guest at the Usaping Balita forum – commented that the president-elect would not be seeing executions during the early part of his term due to legal process.

The offenders have to be convicted. Then there is the mandatory review of their conviction. Knowing our justice system, it will take time, maybe years,” Ridon explained.

He also noted that if the Congress would be able to restore the death penalty, the punishment would only apply to future offenders and not to the convicts currently serving time in prison.

Ridon – a member of the Makabayan bloc – also promised that his group and the Catholic Church would oppose the restoration of the death penalty in the Philippines.

“I predict a showdown on this issue inside and outside Congress, what with the Catholic Church against the death penalty,” he said.

Maybe it is getting interesting:

20 crime lords give P50M each to kill-Duterte fund—source

Top drug and crime lords are raising P1 billion for the heads of incoming-President Rodrigo Duterte, his anointed Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, a senator and another government official.

A source told INQUIRER.net that some 20 crime bosses, mostly drug lords inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP), were contributing to the kill-Duterte fund.

According to the source, earlier reports of a P50-million reward on Duterte and incoming PNP chief, Chief Supt. Ronald dela Rosa “are not true but bigger.”

“Not only one person will pay, but people from different organizations,” said the source, who had intimate knowledge of the drug trade.

“There are probably 20” main players, the source added. And each main player pledged P50 million for the pot money, bringing the entire fund to about P1 billion.

Dela Rosa earlier said that drug lords inside NBP offered P10 million for his and Duterte’s heads. But there were no takers so the reward was raised to P50-million.

The reward from the drug lords came after Duterte offered rewards for every drug lord or pusher killed. The President-elect promised P5 million for every dead drug lord, P3 million if arrested alive and P50,000 each from small-time pushers.

Dela Rosa issued a warning to criminals: “We will crush you. We will bury you.”

According to the incoming administration, 75 percent of the illegal drugs sold in the Philippines were made in the National Bilibid Prisons (NBP). This prompted incoming Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre to vow that his war against illegal drugs would start at the NBP.

“Nasisiraan na yung mga tao sa loob. Hindi kasi nila alam kung seseryosohin ni Digong yung sinabi nyang papatayin lahat ng drug lords doon,” the source said.

Not only Duterte

Apart from Duterte and Dela Rosa, also included in the kill-list were former Justice Secretary now Senator Leila de Lima and Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Ricardo Rainier Cruz III.

De Lima led the first of the series of raids inside Bilibid where authorities discovered some inmates living in “suite-like” kubols with appliances, hot tubs, gadgets and more.

Because of the first raid, 19 high-profile inmates, mostly drug lords, were transferred to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) while Building 14, a highly secured facility inside NBP, was being constructed.

After the construction, the 19 inmates were moved back to the NBP and detained at Building 14, isolated from other inmates.

Cruz, on the other hand, initiated “Oplan Galugad,” a regular raid conducted inside the NBP to seize contraband and prohibited items. More than 30 “galugads” have been conducted. He also ordered the dismantling of kubols that previously housed high-profile inmates.

Last February, Cruz dismantled a two-storey structure occupied by one inmate. It was renovated to house elderly inmates.

The source said two of the 20 who pledged to the pot are among the “Bilibid 19” currently detained at Building 14, while two others are chemists and Filipinos who belong to the same organization./rga

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/790373/20-crime-lords-give-p50m-each-to-kill-duterte-fund-source#ixzz4BROGdBg4
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter
| inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Was chatting about Duterte with my (Davao) gf last night & she said that a lot of her family & friends are worried about the Drug Lords paying for him to be assassinated, the way he's acting, he's almost daring them to do it.

On a brighter note, we also talked about how you see far fewer beggars in Davao than you do in Cebu, Manila etc... & she explained that Duterte set up a number of homes where they could get shelter/food so there was much less of a need for people to go out begging.

Edited by JB300

Homes/shelters with food?

Good luck taking care of the poor in Manila, where the biggest slum in the world is located.

People don't like to be treated as animals in a cage, thus they wander off in order to try to make money in any way they can.

Filipinos them self don't give a damn about their own poor. it is all about the close family and be a good catholic and go to church on Sunday..

I can see a new Mexico on the rise.

Homes/shelters with food?

Good luck taking care of the poor in Manila, where the biggest slum in the world is located.

People don't like to be treated as animals in a cage, thus they wander off in order to try to make money in any way they can.

Filipinos them self don't give a damn about their own poor. it is all about the close family and be a good catholic and go to church on Sunday..

I can see a new Mexico on the rise.

Obviously your experience in the Philippines differs from mine as the Filipinos I've met care very much about their community as witnessed when Yolanda ripped through the Compostela Valley.

Then again, maybe places like Manila are more of the dog-eat-dog place you describe (i've tended to avoid the place), I'd probably say the same about London Vs my home town in the North West of the UK.

Incidentally, how long have you spent in the Philippines & where have you visited?

Edit:thought I'd Google it as I've always believed Mumbai was the biggest slum in the world, turns out it's 3rd behind Mexico & Pakistan I doubt Manila would make the top 20 when you think of the South American & African countries.

Edited by JB300