Are Thais really bad drivers?

General standard of driving is ok and comparable with other countries except Iran, India and Turkey where they are f_ing crazy.

However:

* too many motorbikes with untrained, inexperienced and downright stupid riders. Earlier this week I saved someones life for the fourth time in 9 years here, by looking in my mirror before turning right to see a Darwinian youth out-running my well-signalled right turn at high speed.

* too many overworked, overhours, untrained and non-regulated commercial drivers of buses and trucks, many of whom take drugs to allow them to drive the long hours greedy transport bosses demand

* some here call it inconsiderate driving; I call it d_mn selfish and impolite (and so does my Thai wife, having seen how polite most UK drivers are): that said - there are many similar countries of a Latin or Arabic nature IME. Mostly this does not cause accidents - just frustration

Take away the motorbikes from anyone younger than 25 (or have rigorous training and testing of those older than 18 and ban kids - back to bicycles please), regulate the commercial drivers hours, introduce some government TV advertising on good road practice .... and the death rate would come way down.

Oh, and pay the police to target bad driving rather than their current tea money focus on the safest bits of open roads.

Too many car drivers are untrained, inexperienced and downright stupid.

Take away the cars from anyone younger than 45

Cars cause accidents too including most of those when a motorcycle gets the worst of it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say that Thais are not so much "bad" drivers ( they can mostly control the vehicles )

but they are impatient,un attentive and inconsiderate drivers

together with poorly designed and built roads with very little policing of traffic laws makes Thailand number 2 in the most dangerous roads rankings.

That just about sums it up.

I think its compulsory for Thai to be on mobile phone while driving.

Farlang that copy Thai style driving are the worst

An interesting static .... The UK and Thailand are approximately the same size with the about the same population... Thailand has 10X more road fatalities than the UK.. go figure!

Yeah well most would be able to figure training is a lot stricter in UK also the UK motoring is probably 10X the cost, go figure.

What has the cost of motoring got to do with bad drivers?

Has a lot to do with it, new rules at learner stage which alleges makes roads safer, age restrictions, probationary period restrictions, mandatory leaner plates ' L' & ' P ' etc with cars not to mention motorbikes would cost Thai people lots MONEY which they would not be prepared to put up with, go figure instead of Thai bashing.

There has to be a reason, that Thailand is nearly number 1 in the world by per capita Road death rate.whistling.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Where?

Where you saw number one?

road dead per every 100 000 motor vehicle 74.6

and as example:

China 104.5

saudi Arabia - 119.7

Nigeria -615

and number 1 it:

Gueinea 9462.5

So where is number one?blink.png

Yes its in Thailand more bed drivers on road then in Europe.

But its FAR from many Africa country.

PS

if in Europe drive as much as in Thailand scooter/moped/bike

I thinking statistic change too.

Ofcouse its not be as in Thailand but I am sure its up percent road fatalities

An interesting static .... The UK and Thailand are approximately the same size with the about the same population... Thailand has 10X more road fatalities than the UK.. go figure!

Yeah well most would be able to figure training is a lot stricter in UK also the UK motoring is probably 10X the cost, go figure.

What has the cost of motoring got to do with bad drivers?

Has a lot to do with it, new rules at learner stage which alleges makes roads safer, age restrictions, probationary period restrictions, mandatory leaner plates ' L' & ' P ' etc with cars not to mention motorbikes would cost Thai people lots MONEY which they would not be prepared to put up with, go figure instead of Thai bashing.

When people talk about the cost of motoring they usually mean price of gas, tyres, registration, insurance etc. Obviously the costs are going to be significantly higher in affluent countries as opposed to third world ones, so it's all relative and has nothing to do with being a good driver. The drivers are bad here because road rules aren't enforced, driving training is inadequate, too many unlicenced drivers, drinking whilst driving is commonplace and not taken seriously, as is overloaded pickups etc. The list is endless, but one thing is certain, Thai drivers are bad, and stating that isn't "Thai bashing", but calling it as it is instead of burying your head in the sand.

Edited by giddyup

When people talk about the cost of motoring they usually mean price of gas, tyres, registration, insurance etc. Obviously the costs are going to be significantly higher in affluent countries as opposed to third world ones, so it's all relative and has nothing to do with being a good driver. The drivers are bad here because road rules aren't enforced, driving training is inadequate, too many unlicenced drivers, drinking whilst driving is commonplace and not taken seriously, as is overloaded pickups etc. The list is endless, but one thing is certain, Thai drivers are bad, and stating that isn't "Thai bashing", but calling it as it is instead of burying your head in the sand.

Thais are bad because of social environment.

Farangs in Thailand are terrible drivers because of social environement

problem is farangs using the race card for the bad driving.

Thais are bad because of social environment.

Farangs in Thailand are terrible drivers because of social environement

problem is farangs using the race card for the bad driving.

Absolutely no facts to back up your statement whatsoever.

There has to be a reason, that Thailand is nearly number 1 in the world by per capita Road death rate.whistling.gif

Where?

Where you saw number one?

road dead per every 100 000 motor vehicle 74.6

and as example:

China 104.5

saudi Arabia - 119.7

Nigeria -615

and number 1 it:

Gueinea 9462.5

So where is number one?blink.png

Yes its in Thailand more bed drivers on road then in Europe.

But its FAR from many Africa country.

PS

if in Europe drive as much as in Thailand scooter/moped/bike

I thinking statistic change too.

Of couse its not be as in Thailand but I am sure its up percent road fatalities

Go at that LINK to = Road fatalities p 100.000 inhabitants p. year =

Move the cursor there to highest first and you see

2nd place - Thailand 36,2

- China 18,8 -

- Saudi Arabia 27,4 - and that is without any Female drivers!!!

- Nigeria 20,5 -

- Guinea - 27,3

I believe its more important to check the road death numbers per capita - per 100.000 inhabitants

You looked at road death per 100.000 motor vehicles - cars? wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I was behind two Thais on a motorbike three days ago when the pillion passenger gave the correct hand signal before the rider started to manoeuvre - first time I've seen this in all my years in Thailand.

Maybe two brains are better than one.

Edited by Bantex

I would say that Thais are not so much "bad" drivers ( they can mostly control the vehicles )

but they are impatient,un attentive and inconsiderate drivers

together with poorly designed and built roads with very little policing of traffic laws makes Thailand number 2 in the most dangerous roads rankings.

Johng....You have hit the nail directly and right on the head......

- China 18,8 -

- Nigeria 20,5 -

- Guinea - 27,3

I believe its more important to check the road death numbers per capita - per 100.000 inhabitants

1 why its important per inhabitants? no see any logic. can you explaine to me?

if some place have 100 drivers/motor vehicles and 1000 people and another 100 drivers/motor vehicles and 10000 people

at first place 2 "bad' drivers kill themselves in another 5 "bad" drivers kill themselves..

can you calculate?

whistling.gif

2. Statistic per inhabitants can NOTHING to say how big percent bad drivers on road in any country.

3. I believe statistic per vehicle-km can mostly near show how bad drivers, but not have this is statistic in Thailand.

4 Statistic per motor vehicle(car/bike) much more near show how bad drivers in coutry..

I agree that the lack of driver training here is a real issue. I was switching lanes yesterday and looked back to check traffic and my wife said "why not use mirror?" A discussion about blind spots then ensued.

In the US at the time I was in high school, driver's education was required. As well as watching those oh so fun movies like Red Asphalt.

Been a topic that's kicked about more than a few times.

My view is there's good and bad drivers what ever country you go to.

You would only use public transport where I live if you wanted to be bored. biggrin.png

And like in any country , women are worse drivers ....especially the parking ones.

Maybe she is an exception, but my wife is actually quite a good driver, can parallel park, enjoys accelerating out of a curve, and can back a car or truck into a parking space quite efficiently...

Like others have said, it depends on the driver, their training and experience.

Cheers!

Begs a Question.?.Are the ferangs who drive here much good.?. Generally I think it's fair to accept that posters in this section are AWARE to conditions But quite frankly my personal Ferang chums are arrogant Sunday Drivers,who slag Thais but only go to Lotus once a week ,go North once a Year ,and regard holding a Licence for many years equates to road experience..frankly I Tink they worse than most Thais by volume.

Begs a Question.?.Are the ferangs who drive here much good.?. Generally I think it's fair to accept that posters in this section are AWARE to conditions But quite frankly my personal Ferang chums are arrogant Sunday Drivers,who slag Thais but only go to Lotus once a week ,go North once a Year ,and regard holding a Licence for many years equates to road experience..frankly I Tink they worse than most Thais by volume.

How many of these falang drivers have killed someone or died themselves as a result of their "bad" driving?

How many of these falang drivers have killed someone or died themselves as a result of their "bad" driving?

Know of one that fled the country....

Onecoffee1.gif

I know one as well, he fled. Which is more than I know Thai who killed someone.

You don't read or watch the news? Thais hit and run daily leaving the dead and dying behind.

You can read about farangs involved in accidents almost weekly. Not so long ago a farang was drunk driving in Chiang Mai and killed 2 Thais. He fled the scene. Farangs are no better than Thais , especially expats living here.

You can read about farangs involved in accidents almost weekly. Not so long ago a farang was drunk driving in Chiang Mai and killed 2 Thais. He fled the scene. Farangs are no better than Thais , especially expats living here.

That's absolute BS, I watch the Thai TV news daily and I can't remember the last time I saw a report of a falang responsible for causing death by driving, but if you want to persist with the misconception that falangs are no better drivers than Thais, be my guest.

- China 18,8 -

- Nigeria 20,5 -

- Guinea - 27,3

1 why its important per inhabitants? no see any logic. can you explaine to me?

Some rich countries, have nearly, or have more cars then inhabitants. thumbsup.gif

Some poor countries have a lot people but few cars.laugh.png

You cannot satisfy everybody and his thoughts, but I grew up in Europe, in Austria and we always count the road death toll per 100.000 inhabitants.

So up to you tongue.png

I count also the statistic = List of countries by Intentional homicide rate per capita - per year per 100,000 inhabitants.

And not per 100.000 guns or knives in the country lol - BUT you could rolleyes.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Might be due to British-made cars - most of them wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

You don't read or watch the news? Thais hit and run daily leaving the dead and dying behind.

The question was 'how many do you know'. I answered, you only gave a snide off topic comment.
So how many Thai and how many foreigners do you know who killed on the road? Edited by Rimmer

Might be due to British-made cars - most of them wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I think One of the main reasons for the high fatality rate is gross overloading of vehicles 5-6 on a motorsei no helmets (And I have seen farang in BKK with lady and 2 kids on too) overloaded trucks and utes. Vehicles that look hardly roadworthy to begin with and all speeding down the highways at a great rate of knots. Police very thin on the ground. Myself I do not think Thais are that bad a drivers compare ok with NZ drivers who are crap anyway. But I think it is the overloading and poor adherance to safety that causes it. Tougher licensing like NZ will not improve it just increase unlicensed drivers. policing increases and enforcement ill be far more effective.

Some rich countries, have nearly, or have more cars then inhabitants. thumbsup.gif

Some poor countries have a lot people but few cars.laugh.png

You cannot satisfy everybody and his thoughts, but I grew up in Europe, in Austria and we always count the road death toll per 100.000 inhabitants.

So up to you tongue.png

I count also the statistic = List of countries by Intentional homicide rate per capita - per year per 100,000 inhabitants.

And not per 100.000 guns or knives in the country lol - BUT you could rolleyes.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

we always count the road death toll per 100.000 inhabitants.

For WHAT count? Chek how many bad drivers?
Its cant.
Check how many Nation lost people in road accident fatalities - YES.
So still didnt see logic HOW capita per inhabitants can show how big percent BAD drivers in coutry.
Some poor countries have a lot people but few cars.
YES what why per inhabits CAN'T show real picture HOW bed drivers they!!!
And not per 100.000 guns or knives in the country lol - BUT you could
Not only me..
if want look how dangers gun ( how many "bad" owner gun) - of course you need to take the ratio of gun owners/number of guns to the number of murders with gun. although also need to look at what circumstances it occurred.
Edited by ardokano