Tourists injured as speedboats collide off Phi Phi

webfact

Tourists injured as speedboats collide off Phi Phi
Eakkapop Thongtub

1465367501_1.jpg
Dozens of tourists have been injured in the collision. Photo: Phattarawut AkanitThakorn

PHUKET: -- Dozens of tourists have been injured after two large tour speedboats collided between Koh Keow and Koh Phi Phi, east of Phuket, earlier today (June 8).

Initial reports indicate that each large speedboat was carrying up to 50 people at the time of the collision.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourists-injured-as-speedboats-collide-off-phi-phi-57774.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-08

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many damn boating accidents have happened in the past month? 4? 5? 6? What the hell is it going to take for the authorities to finally do something about regulating these boats with TRAINED & QUALIFIED operators, instead of Somchi's cousin from Nakhon Nowhere who doesn't even have a motorbike license?

Good gosh, these totally preventable accidents are getting out of hand. Let's see, jet ski people running over tourist laying on the beach, boats chopping off limbs, boats crashing into floating objects, two tour boats hitting each other, parasailing deaths etc. When will safety ever really be enforced and more importantly, when will the culprits be seriously punished (I'm not talking about a time out from having a "license".

Chinese tourists injured in Phi Phi speedboats crashes
By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

201606081312041-20160211172134.jpeg
Photo of the aftermath of the crash provided by local rescue workers.

PHUKET — Several tourists were seriously injured when two speedboats collided near the popular Phi Phi islands at noon today in the latest maritime mishap to strike Thai tourism.

The wounded were being brought back to shore at about 1:30pm from an accident a regional marine police commander blamed on stormy weather.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/2016/06/08/chinese-injured-in-phi-phi-speedboats-crashes/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-08

Two dead, and more than 50 injured in speedboat collision off Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1465373357_1.jpg
Dozens of tourists have been injured in the collision. Photo: Phattarawut AkanitThakorn

PHUKET: -- Two tourists are dead and more than 50 injured after two speedboats from Phuket carrying mostly Chinese tourists collided near Phi Phi Island at about at midday today (June 8).

Phuket Marine Police Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Prasert Srikunarat named the two speedboats as the Chonlakij and the Hongfa 33.

The collision occurred while the Chonlakij was carrying 36 people in total, including passengers and crew, from Phuket to Phi Phi Island, while the Hongfa 33 was travelling from Phi Phi Island to Phuket, he explained.

The Hongfa 33 was carrying 26 people, including passengers and crew, when the collicion occurred, he added.

“The incident happened near the Moosang Rocks, between Koh Dokmai and Phi Phi Island, about 30 nautical miles from Phuket,” Col Prasert said.

“The Chonlakij sank, but all people on board were rescued by dive boats nearby. Rescuers transported some of the victims to a pier in Rassada.”

Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipyayapongtada in a statement issued this afternoon confirmed that two tourists had died, one male and one female. The bodies of both tourists were taken to Vachira Hospital in Phuket Town. Gov Chamroen did not identify the victims’ names or nationalities.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-dead-and-more-than-50-injured-in-speedboat-collision-off-phuket-57774.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-08

>> regional marine police commander blamed on stormy weather.

Of course he blamed the weather, he couldn't really blame anything else without looking pretty incompetent on enforcing safety.

Well....You can't blame it on the brakes. whistling.gif

What happened to the "mandatory" AIS installations on vessels carrying over 25 pax? Only foreign flagged boats (are required to) comply with Thai laws on the island of crime and death.

Will probably be compulsory starting 1 November.

Hopefully we'll hear some reports from the tourists. How the collision happened. Side by side, head on.. etc.

Two people go on the trip of a lifetime, only to end it, due to what appears to be complete stupidity and incompetence.

I will never ever put my family on a boat anywhere near Phuket. NEVER. Too many ignorant dumbasses with a "captains" license.

Two people go on the trip of a lifetime, only to end it, due to what appears to be complete stupidity and incompetence.

I will never ever put my family on a boat anywhere near Phuket. NEVER. Too many ignorant dumbasses with a "captains" license.

Where "near" should include Koh Samui.

Better ring up the TAT lady. She will need a plane ticket to Phuket post haste. First a side trip to the florist for flowers. Set up a press conference for her where she can announce another crackdown of boating accidents. She can use the same script scripted for the last boat accident. Hear the TAT lady sing. Ooops forgot the free vouchers for their next trip to Thailand.

Edited by elgordo38

Fast forward to tomorrow morning where a Govt entourage laden with bouquets of flowers do a carefully choreographed 'hokey-kokey' @ hospital for the benefit of the cameras...

(In, out, in, out until they have the required footage!).

AAgain, again again. Nothing will be done, The top brass in Puket own these boats and they got friends in high places in Government" I am truly surprised that the PM has not done anything as he indicates he cares very much about tourism being given a bad name.

He must know about this problem. They cleared innocent traders who give the tourists what they wanted in food etc on the beaches. They did not injure tourists or kill them.

The country's of these tourists should be putting pressure on the Thai government to stop this.

I would like to go on these boats to visit islands but no way would I do it.

I went once many years ago from Pattaya and once was enough. My bones were sore when I got to the islands off Pattaya. They are just kids driving teenagers or early 20s.

Come on Mr PM look after the innocent tourist. PLEASE.

AAgain, again again. Nothing will be done, The top brass in Puket own these boats and they got friends in high places in Government" I am truly surprised that the PM has not done anything as he indicates he cares very much about tourism being given a bad name.

He must know about this problem. They cleared innocent traders who give the tourists what they wanted in food etc on the beaches. They did not injure tourists or kill them.

The country's of these tourists should be putting pressure on the Thai government to stop this.

I would like to go on these boats to visit islands but no way would I do it.

I went once many years ago from Pattaya and once was enough. My bones were sore when I got to the islands off Pattaya. They are just kids driving teenagers or early 20s.

Come on Mr PM look after the innocent tourist. PLEASE.

No, top brass have no connection at all to these boats.

“It was raining heavily,” Col. Lt. Prasert Srikhunrat said by telephone. “The sky was dark, so the two boats crashed into each other.”"

What a load of .....

Solution: Reduce speed, post an extra lookout or two and proceed with caution!

The boats crashed into each other due to poor seamanship, and likely excessive speed for the current conditions. We just arrived back from Krabi and while out on a private boat, I saw a few of these speedboats at a popular island beach stop with all three being overloaded, and more than likely insufficient safety gear.

It is very sad that these tourists got sucked into taking a trip on these 'Cattle Boats' and ended up being slaughtered...

As a former USCG Licensed Master and Marine Safety & Security Instructor, (USCG & MCA of the UK), I know that these types of accidents are largely preventable and almost always the result of operator error.

Hopefully this event will get the international attention it deserves, and some of the necessary changes will be made.

Edited by Wanderer555