Jools to close after nearly 30 years

rott

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/06/2016 at 5:17 PM, overherebc said:

It would appear that changes are on the way.

Some on here probably won't be happy until the area is full of gospel halls I reckon.

Yeah; with names signifying the death of the Wild East like 'Gary's Gospel Hall', 'Pol Cor Paradise', 'The Boy Next Door' and 'Home from Home'!

6 hours ago, Wilted Flower of Scotland said:

It looks like Bangkok and Soi 4 is finally growing up,leaving behind the image of overweight,wheezing and gasping,diabetic expats unshaven in filthy Chang vests with 3-day old food and beer stains down them!
Nobody wants to see,listen or smell these types anymore they just lower the tone of any area they inhabit.Thank goodness the authorities have seen fit to decimate their grazing grounds and give us all a welcome break.
Bangkok is changing and Nana Plaza plus Soi Cowboy are literally on their last legs,they won't be missed and nor will this seedy,backwater dive or its nightime denizens it will give them more time to work on their personal hygiene.

You will presumably be happy when it is the same as High St, Anytown, with the same chain and franchised operations.

It sounds like you've been to Soi 4 once and seen exactly what you wanted to see (or been told what you'd see) without even looking.

On the other hand I have not been since Jools moved, never that keen on the rest of it, but exaggerated caricatures destroy your argument rather than enhance it.

And posting at 06.00, what is that about - late night / early morning? or another wannabe still living at home and saving up for his holiday.

Edited by rott

1 minute ago, rott said:

You will presumably be happy when it is the same as High St, Anytown, with the same chain and franchised operations.

It sounds like you've been to Soi 4 once and seen exactly what you wanted to see (or been told what you'd see) without even looking.

On the other hand I have not been since Jools moved, never that keen on the rest of it, but exaggerated caricatures destroy your argument rather than enhance it.

I used to enjoy the food at the Bus Stop a little further up on the other side. There was also a good Swiss place a little before Jools that did good food.

Bill, yes the Bus Stop is bearable as are Chequers and the Tavern, not that I've been in the Tavern for some time. But nowhere matched the banter that could be found at Jools. Certainlt nowhere in NS or KPP. :smile:

Edited by rott

4 hours ago, rott said:

And posting at 06.00, what is that about - late night / early morning? or another wannabe still living at home and saving up for his holiday.

Presumably I just described yourself there,the truth can be a cruel master indeed can't it?
And 6:00am is when I limber up and go for a jog before the streets heat up,is that a problem?
NO-ONE will miss festering dumps such as this one good riddance to it!

3 hours ago, Wilted Flower of Scotland said:

Presumably I just described yourself there,the truth can be a cruel master indeed can't it?
And 6:00am is when I limber up and go for a jog before the streets heat up,is that a problem?

You aren't by any chance an ex Australian religious prison warder of Scottish descent are you???.

Anyway the most dangerous things to your health in Jools were the sharp corners on the treads of the spiral staircase, if you discount the bell ringer contests.

On 6/14/2016 at 5:30 PM, SoiBiker said:

Does the 'banter' in said bar match the dizzy intellectual heights we see on this forum?

..., at the very least said banter matches posts born of the thin rarified air of the sanctimonious moral high ground..., the kind we continually read as eminating from the collective(seemingly evangelical) naysayer posters.  

Edited by Sandy Freckle

21 hours ago, Wilted Flower of Scotland said:

You limber up by posting on TV?? What is the main event, the Beano crossword??

On 11/16/2016 at 5:30 AM, Wilted Flower of Scotland said:

It looks like Bangkok and Soi 4 is finally growing up,leaving behind the image of overweight,wheezing and gasping,diabetic expats unshaven in filthy Chang vests with 3-day old food and beer stains down them!
Nobody wants to see,listen or smell these types anymore they just lower the tone of any area they inhabit.Thank goodness the authorities have seen fit to decimate their grazing grounds and give us all a welcome break.
Bangkok is changing and Nana Plaza plus Soi Cowboy are literally on their last legs,they won't be missed and nor will this seedy,backwater dive or its nightime denizens it will give them more time to work on their personal hygiene.

I think he is confusing the place with his local celtic supporters club.

These slobs, however, tend to spend a lot more money going out, than a boring digital nomad, with his head stuck up the latest mobile phone.

Can't remember going to Jools bar, instead I do remember the Cat House upstairs in Nana Plaza. Great place to start the evening off with all you can drink for 350 baht happy hour. Many a fun weekend I had there! Don't go into the city much these days, there's a lot of local action if you follow the neon lights and behave yourself. The bar life is improving for your local Thai and there are some nice pubs and clubs if you're brave enough to venture in. The only rule I suggest is that if you enter a karaoke bar, just drink beer, don't sing, for some reason this upsets alot of Thai men. 555

1479535709876.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I remember the specials being advertised for the Cathouse but never got around to going in. Think I might have been in the Plaza twice since Woodstock moved out. And speaking of that bar I have heard it is now closed, deservedly so in my opinion they closed an atmospheric genuine boozer and replaced it with a sterile, minimalist waste of space in Ekamai.

I remember the specials being advertised for the Cathouse but never got around to going in. Think I might have been in the Plaza twice since Woodstock moved out. And speaking of that bar I have heard it is now closed, deservedly so in my opinion they closed an atmospheric genuine boozer and replaced it with a sterile, minimalist waste of space in Ekamai.

Well, I heard also that it closed down but never been round that way in years.
Until I needed a new passport that is. Conveniently located in the heart of the red light are is our wonderful Trendy House passport office for the UK and Australia. I got off the sky train at Nana and it was dejavu. Nana...
Not changed one ioata. It looked exactly the same as the first time I clamped eyes on her. Amazing. It was like a holiday back to Blighty to my home town. Not changed a bit. The only thing that had changed was me. I had changed from being a young man randy as hell into an old man randy as hell. But I got my locals now. No more paying tourist prices. Living the dream.

Take away the nastiness and the nonsense and he does have a point, the place is changing/has changed.

But the places that made Bangkok what it was, i.e. different and interesting, are disappearing to be replaced by what? - condos, chain/franchise hotels and restaurants, it is becoming an imitation Milton Keynes or Warrington New Town or at best Singapore without the wealth. Of interest to who? Arab and Chinese health tourists perhaps. Checked out their personal hygiene lately?

Soon the only bars will be clones of the Robin Hood and Bullys, there is a place for them agreed but when that is all there is...........

Take a look at the Jools website and the collage of photo's. It was a bar, a boozer for boozers. It had life, it had banter, it had craic, it had atmosphere. It never to my knowledge had a barfine system (not that that is necessarily a good thing). At one time many of the customers were working expats who would have been getting up in the morning so not so many desperate old men or sexpats (using that word loosely).

That was a bar in Bangkok. However that Bangkok is largely gone.

You prefer the current style where the bar (i.e. bar counter) is no longer a place to congregate but instead it is a "point of sale" station in a room full of tables occupied by strangers, strangers who think the point of a bar is to take photo's of the food.

I would say that in the future there will be many more soulless, anaemic places for you to go to.

1 minute ago, rott said:

Take a look at the Jools website and the collage of photo's. It was a bar, a boozer for boozers. It had life, it had banter, it had craic, it had atmosphere. It never to my knowledge had a barfine system (not that that is necessarily a good thing). At one time many of the customers were working expats who would have been getting up in the morning so not so many desperate old men or sexpats (using that word loosely).

You prefer the current style where the bar (i.e. bar counter) is no longer a place to congregate but instead it is a "point of sale" station in a room full of tables occupied by strangers, strangers who think the point of a bar is to take photo's of the food.

I would say that in the future there will be many more soulless, anaemic places for you to go to.

Unfortunately, with IT, this is the way of the world now. Some of these people do not know any different.

I am so glad I was brought up without these devices, where conversation was the way to go.

Met so many interesting characters in my time, face to face, without the anonymity  of social media.

2 hours ago, rott said:

I have no need for a place where loners can find someone to drink with. I already have friends.

4 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I have no need for a place where loners can find someone to drink with. I already have friends.

Have you ever actually been in a pub before??

I had always thought biking was a recreation for loners but perhaps I was wrong.

Surprisingly I seem to have friends myself, but I am allowed out alone from time to to time and I do find myself in parts of the world where friends/contacts are a bit thin on the ground. And sometimes I just happen to fancy going out for a drink. You apparently only go out with the girlfriend. Up to you.

56 minutes ago, rott said:

Have you ever actually been in a pub before??

I had always thought biking was a recreation for loners but perhaps I was wrong.

Surprisingly I seem to have friends myself, but I am allowed out alone from time to to time and I do find myself in parts of the world where friends/contacts are a bit thin on the ground. And sometimes I just happen to fancy going out for a drink. You apparently only go out with the girlfriend. Up to you.

Of course I have. 

I've never found myself so low on friends I had to go on my own, though.