England fans clash with Marseille locals ahead of Euro 2016

webfact

Déjà vu: England fans clash with Marseille locals ahead of Euro 2016
By Sarah Joanne Taylor

606x341_335211.jpg

PARIS: -- The day France has been preparing for since May 2010 has finally arrived.

Euro 2016 kicks off in Paris tonight (June 10) with France VS Romania the match opening a month of football fever.

France has extended its state of emergency – in place since November’s deadly Paris attacks – to cover the duration of the Euros. Thousands of extra police officers are patrolling the streets and stadia and a free concert held in the capital on Thursday night (June 9) passed without notable incident.

Nonetheless, fears remain about the safety of the competition. In the past weeks, France has faced crippling strikes, floods and, most recently, the threat of violent football fans.

Injuries were reported after several dozen England supporters clashed with local youths in Marseille ahead of their tie against Russia on Saturday.

Allegedly shouting “ISIS, where are you?” the English fans could be seen exchanging punches with the city’s residents, eyewitnesses say, prompting authorities to use tear gas to break up the brawl.

Déjà-vu, perhaps, for the city’s residents, as Marseille was also the scene of significant violence between the two groups during the 1998 World Cup in France.

French police are said to have struggled to control the conflict, which started at around midnight local time, near the Old Port, and lasted around half an hour.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-10

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISIS, where are you?

I shouldn't laugh, but our football hooligans do have their uses.
from the video footage i have seen so far, it looks like our boys did indeed flush ISIS out of hiding and into the streets of Marseilles.

Whose bright idea was it, to have England's opener in a place like Marseille? What would have been surprising is if notching happened.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

ISIS, where are you?

from the video footage i have seen so far, it looks like our boys did indeed flush ISIS out of hiding and into the streets of Marseilles.

Well, the first three posters seem to be in favor of Brits abroad starting brawls with locals.

Fair enough. Don't complain if you lose the fight though. Or claim that you were picked on because of race.

I wonder if the Owen family will be traveling to watch the football.

I never have been able to understand British football hooliganism. Can't they just go and watch sport like in other countries and maybe have a few beers.

Why do they want to fight all the time? Strange people.

Whose bright idea was it, to have England's opener in a place like Marseille? What would have been surprising is if notching happened.

Why is that? Can you explain it a bit for me please.

What are there lots of in Marseilles? and mix that with the thugs among the true fans. You're going to get trouble. I'll bet the tabloids were salivating over this fixture

Edited by Mosha

ISIS, where are you?

Well, the first three posters seem to be in favor of Brits abroad starting brawls with locals.

Fair enough. Don't complain if you lose the fight though. Or claim that you were picked on because of race.

I never have been able to understand British football hooliganism. Can't they just go and watch sport like in other countries and maybe have a few beers.

You seem to know nothing about the subject, fans from every country at the Euros will have hooligans who want to fight and a lot of them are much more violent than the English

You seem to know nothing about the subject, fans from every country at the Euros will have hooligans who want to fight and a lot of them are much more violent than the English

So, would I be correct that you're saying it's not just the Thais with a subset of hooligans, that there are nimrods all over the world?

Edited by impulse

So, would I be correct that you're saying it's not just the Thais with as subset of hooligans, that there are nimrods all over the world?

The Thais are not at the Euros, the clue is in the word "Euros"

Every nation at the Euros have a hooligan element

And actually there has been instances of football violence at Thai matches also

As a ex football hooligan who served a prison sentence I probably know more about the subject than you biggrin.png

Edited by darrendsd

What are there lots of in Marseilles? and mix that with the thugs among the true fans. You're going to get trouble. I'll bet the tabloids were salivating over this fixture

England fans rioted in Marseilles prior to a 1998 World Cup game. Was a big story then as now. Nothing changes it seems, absolute bunch of morons the lot of them.

So, would I be correct that you're saying it's not just the Thais with as subset of hooligans, that there are nimrods all over the world?

As a ex football hooligan who served a prison sentence I probably know more about the subject than you

Oh, I have no doubt that you do.

I just wanted to make sure I understood your statement, which may come as a surprise to a lot of the posters here on TVF who seem to think that kind of violent behavior is unique to Thailand.

Allegedly shouting “ISIS, where are you?” the English fans could be seen exchanging punches with the city’s residents, eyewitnesses say,

Isis are in parts of Syria and Iraq you stupid morons. RAF, please provide a plane and drop them 500 metres from the ISIS front line.

As can be seen below, England has a long history of idiots.

Very interesting. Evolution breeds a proportion of mindless macho men and they do indeed have their role in society as soldier ants. As we can see in this thread, when their group is under threat, they are cheered on.

So you concede 'their group is under threat'?

ISIS, where are you?

You are correct, I have very little knowledge on the subject as I stated. That's why I was asking.
I did see a show on Polish football once, and they looked pretty bad also.

It is good to have someone posting on Thaivisa with actual first hand knowledge instead of the usual imagined posts.
So, in your opinion, which country has the toughest/craziest/ meanest fans? Which country's fans that fought with worried you the most personally? Edited by Scott

Isis are in parts of Syria and Iraq you stupid morons.

Even England football hooligans know that ISIS members [or their sympathisers] don't just reside in Syria and Iraq.

Think back to Bataclan. These guys were freely moving between Syria/Iraq and Europe as if they were commuting.

You've a lot to learn, bannork.

ISIS, where are you?

whilst I totaly disagree with violence in all forms that includes racist or down right vile chanting. You say can't you just go to another country and watch like they do Where there are fanatics in every country waiting to fight over a round piece of plastic.

As a ex football hooligan who served a prison sentence I probably know more about the subject than you

I just wanted to make sure I understood your statement, which may come as a surprise to a lot of the posters here on TVF who seem to think that kind of violent behavior is unique to Thailand.

Yes impulse, very true.

When a Thai does something violent there is a chorus here lumping all Thais the same, and it is blamed on poor parenting, boys being spoilt by their mothers, the schools, being uncivilized etc etc etc and the old favorite "thainess"

But it is different when discussing "civilized" countries.

Why is that?

In all fairness here.

England has come a long way in dealing with their hooligans.

Most countries have this problem.

Bigger populations have bigger crowds.

As more fans, as more issues.

People in all their bashing eagerness seem to forget, by far, the biggest football hooligan issues the last 10 years have been in Easter Europe.

This is a story about Football violence, i'm not sure why you are linking Thailand into this? There have been instances of football violence in Thailand however it is not organized like in European country's

Violence happens in any country in the world, Thais are no different

"English [liaison police] officers have always felt that this fixture creates the most potential for violence, because of the hot weather and likelihood that thousands of French locals will be out enjoying the sunshine and celebrating Ramadan." - The Independent

Ah, la belle France.

(Edited to clarify source)

Edited by RickBradford