Jomtiem Condo, Buying to live in ? (Park Lane, Paradise Park)

Peterw42

I am interested in other members thoughts about buying a Condo in Jomtiem to live in, Looking at Park lane or Paradise Park. Interested to hear from members who live or own in these Complex's, The good the bad and the ugly.

Looking to spend 1,000,000-1,500,000 Baht (40k-60k Australian) . Basically to stop paying rent.

1,000,000 Baht sitting in the bank in Australia earns me 20k-30k a year (2-3%). That same money into a Condo indirectly pays my rent of 100k-150k a year. I am "NOT" Buying for investment so capital gain etc is not important. Does my (back of a bar coaster) economics make sense ?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a lot of difference between the two, however I'd choose Paradise Park between them.

They are run better with good maintenance.

Also you'd need some form of transport unless you like walks in the hot sun or using motorbike taxi's .

Edited by lou62

Not a lot of difference between the two, however I'd choose Paradise Park between them.

They are run better with good maintenance.

Also you'd need some form of transport unless you like walks in the hot sun or using motorbike taxi's .

Have a Car and a scooter so no problems with transport,

Are you talking from first hand experience? Having lived there?

As long as you don't intened to sell you will be fine. Don't forget you'll have condo fees to pay.

Yields on property in Thailand are generally around 5 to 8%, if you are getting 2 to 3% in a bank account in Aus it makes sense, especially if the AUD goes down against the THB in the future, which the way the muppetts running the country at the moment is a distinct possibility.

I'd rather buy in an older unit with a sea view.

As long as you don't intened to sell you will be fine. Don't forget you'll have condo fees to pay.

Yields on property in Thailand are generally around 5 to 8%, if you are getting 2 to 3% in a bank account in Aus it makes sense, especially if the AUD goes down against the THB in the future, which the way the muppetts running the country at the moment is a distinct possibility.

I'd rather buy in an older unit with a sea view.

good advice, older units are the way to go.

the new units selling around 1 million are small, inconvenient accomodations and the building quality is usually very crap.

Didn't at least one of those complexes used to have a golf cart shuttle down to Jomtien Beach Road? That would greatly facilitate getting around town if you don't have (and don't want) a car/motorbike.

Didn't at least one of those complexes used to have a golf cart shuttle down to Jomtien Beach Road? That would greatly facilitate getting around town if you don't have (and don't want) a car/motorbike.

Both have a golf cart to the beach, 20 baht I think. probably the same price as motorbike Taxi.

Which one has the big migrant laborer camp next door ?

I saw some old posts about a noisy labor camp next door. I think it was the laborers building paradise park, making noise for the existing park lane.

Both have a golf cart to the beach, 20 baht I think. probably the same price as motorbike Taxi.

Didn't realize it wasn't free. Well, still nice to have options. Some folks aren't comfortable getting on a moto-sai taxi.

The laborer camp is between Amazon and Park Lane/Paradise Park. Going from memory, I think this is the layout:

post-33251-0-82825700-1465649218_thumb.j

I think the area between the laborer's camp and Soi Watboon is used to park trucks and other construction equipment.

Edited by wpcoe

The laborer camp is between Amazon and Park Lane/Paradise Park. Going from memory, I think this is the layout:

attachicon.gifa.jpg

I think the area between the laborer's camp and Soi Watboon is used to park trucks and other construction equipment.

Wow, That is very close. I didnt realise it was still there as it was mentioned in some old posts.

I will certainly have a closer look. Thanks for the information.

I am renting in a "new complex" - it is crap - in a word. The build quality is terrible, I cannot say which one or there might be a court case against me.

Nearly everyone who bought is selling and renters like me are looking to get out.

They try to build to Euro design - sounds good but not. The ventilation is terrible, no through flow of air in the building my apartment is about 10C hotter than outside and I could roast chickens in the shower/toilet room.

Drains are a nightmare and they stink. Underground parking floods.

Work is half assed finished and there are cables hanging out off wall sockets in the corridors and ceilings. Cracked and broken tiles on all of the floors....the list goes on and on ...so now you know.

I mistakenly moved in thinking these "minor" issues would be resolved quickly as the high season was due to start last year.....

The best thing to do is visit as many places as you can check out and look carefully at the whole package and speak to people already living in the condos. Older buildings have had most of the above issues resolved or never had them in the first place.

Edited by lonewolf99

^ It isn't there anymore, they upped sticks and moved 4-5 months ago and so did the trucks.

The camp may be gone but whats next ? Could be one of those open air karaoke places

Or another high rise condo block taking 4-5 years to finish.

I owned a unit in Park lane .Lived in it a bit ,then had it rented out ( i moved up to Chiang Mai ) .Then sold it to a Russian at a small profit around 5 years ago.If the drain on the balcony gets blocked (which mine did ) the rain water floods into the Condo itself .Luckily i spotted it ( Condo empty and me away ) ,before the flood water drained into the Condo below .

I also owned a Condo for 7 years in Jomtien Beach Condomium .That is well managed and has good facilities .The yearly maintenance charge is also at least half of Park Lane .JB studio is only 28 sqm though with a small balcony .Park Lane 36 sqm with seperate bedroom ,and built in Kitchen.

If buying again in Jomtien i would look at Baan Suan Laguna ( hope i got the name right ) .Older building ,units 46sqm,all have kitchen and large balcony .Only 5 floors high,with two large pools .Well maintained .

attachicon.gifa.jpg

Boundary A is not Amazon. Amazon is the development next to boundary C.

Now I'm wondering the name of the project in boundary A. It's along the main road.

If buying again in Jomtien i would look at Baan Suan Laguna ( hope i got the name right ) .Older building ,units 46sqm,all have kitchen and large balcony .Only 5 floors high,with two large pools .Well maintained .

Baan Suan Lalana, I believe.

I owned a unit in Park lane .Lived in it a bit ,then had it rented out ( i moved up to Chiang Mai ) .Then sold it to a Russian at a small profit around 5 years ago.If the drain on the balcony gets blocked (which mine did ) the rain water floods into the Condo itself .Luckily i spotted it ( Condo empty and me away ) ,before the flood water drained into the Condo below .

I also owned a Condo for 7 years in Jomtien Beach Condomium .That is well managed and has good facilities .The yearly maintenance charge is also at least half of Park Lane .JB studio is only 28 sqm though with a small balcony .Park Lane 36 sqm with seperate bedroom ,and built in Kitchen.

Thanks for the information. I saw mention of Balcony drainage problems in another post. I think everyplace I have lived in Thailand has had some sort of drainage issue.

I had a look at Baan Suan, Yes, a whole lot bigger condos, nice pools etc. It did look a little run down, looked like the whole place could do with a coat of paint. Hallways smelt of cat pee. But other things well maintained. It looked like the condo management had lost control.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

Boundary A is not Amazon. Amazon is the development next to boundary C.

Now I'm wondering the name of the project in boundary A. It's along the main road.

Atlantis I think

I would advise you to get a condo on the baht bus route. You don't really want to be using a bike/car at night especially if you like a drink. The condos you mention are quite a way out.

Is Soi Wat Boon a boring place ?

I am waiting for the next heavy downpour to see if the new roadworks have done away with the flooding.

Ref .Baan Suan L. >>Hallways smelt of cat pee.<<......Funny enough when an Estate agent was showing me a few units there ,we spotted an old lady with a cat .(Pets are not supposed to be allowed ). Many of the units in that complex were renovated to a high standard by Iguna (Israeli Company ) ,who are the original builders of Park Lane .They later went into partnership with Matrix ,around the same time they built Paradise Park .

I bought my Unit in Park Lane off plan .Half way through the build most of the floor tiles in my unit had cracked and had to be replaced .Other than the Balcony drainage problem ,i did not have any other issue with it ,once i moved in .It did take a year though to get my own electricity meter ,so i was paying the management Company B7 a unit /electric ,until i got meter and Government rate of B3.5 a unit .

>>Is Soi Wat Boon a boring place ?<<...........It was lively enough when i left 6 years ago .Winchester Pub ,Maggie Mays , Music bar opposite Majestic Condo .Must be far more developed now .

I had a scooter ,but its only a 10 maybe 15 minute walk to Beach road ,and the stream of Baht busses .

Edited by anto

I would advise you to get a condo on the baht bus route. You don't really want to be using a bike/car at night especially if you like a drink. The condos you mention are quite a way out.

Are you saying the TGF wont drop me off and pick me up again at 1am, lol

That is something to consider though. Smaller more expensive condo close to everything or larger cheaper condo with travel.