Policeman dead, another critical in Phuket Town shootout

Jonathan Fairfield

Wow, unbelievable, the guy was asked for ID and got offended. Glad I never frequent these types of places.

People die on roads every day. Do you ever frequent "those types of places"? The seahorse circle is one of the most vibrant areas of Phuket and can be a lot of fun to visit. I like visiting mostly Thai venues and have enjoyed the people watching and pubs and clubs there many times. The incident is unfortunate but if I never went anywhere where anything bad ever happened I imagine I would never go anywhere at all.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another one for the Darwin award.

What are these people doing out late at night with hand guns? Late night dinner with friends. Better go tooled up, innit.

Will there be a thorough enquiry. Alcohol and drug tests, financial records audited?

What are they doing out anywhere at anytime ever

Police now being gunned down on Phuket.

Pretty much sums up "law and order" on the island.

I went to Phuket once back in 2010, stayed there for 4 days and vowed never to go back. A list of reasons not to as long as my arm
Please reread the list on your arm and show it to all your friends....twice so they don't come here. We are happy without you....maybe go to Pattaya or Chiang Mai so you can stand in line at immigration at 3am for a 90 day report. Cheers!

The graphic photo should never have been published.

It's disrespectful to the victim and to his family.

I really miss common sense, empathy, and professionalism.

Indeed! Are there no privacy laws?

I was e-mailed an article recently featuring a story about a Thai guy whose wife who was angry because he had cheated on her with her best friend offered to perform oral sex on him then cut off his penis with a knife while they were at it. Instead of feeding his severed member to the ducks as is the custom, fearing he might bleed to death if not attended to she called an ambulance. I am mentioning it because the article featured a photo of the two rescue workers, and the mutilated guy sitting on the bed, covered in blood.

Unbelievable!

I went to Phuket once back in 2010, stayed there for 4 days and vowed never to go back. A list of reasons not to as long as my arm
Please reread the list on your arm and show it to all your friends....twice so they don't come here. We are happy without you....maybe go to Pattaya or Chiang Mai so you can stand in line at immigration at 3am for a 90 day report. Cheers!

Was that actually a 'Phuket's better than Chiang Mai (and Pattaya!)' ner-ni-ner retort? Mm.. kay. not that its either my original post, particular concern, nor that I think some folks can't be happier in Phuket. You clearly are. But, well.. couldn't help but trip over this little posted 'hissy' and think.. 1) Chiang Mai and Pattaya just aren't the same sort of places. Each to their own, though I'm in the CM fraternity. 2) 3am for a 90 day report? 3am? Sounds like someone's been feeding you BS. Just a bit funny how some love to eat it just so that they can pass it on. wai.gif

hahaha oh you funny fool. Pattaya is like Phuket on steroids, another place I'd never go back to. CM never been actually. As far as for people I know, my sis came from England to visit me in Hua Hin last year, even she knew to stay away from Phuket and she doesn't even live here cheesy.gif

Edited by ExpatLife

After reading the full article have learned the right cop died.

Read it again knucklehead..

I think it is you who needs to read it again. Off duty cop 1 who was refused entry, went to car for pistol. Returned and pistol whipped moonlighting cop then fired into the air. Another off duty cop went to investigate the pistol shot, approached off duty cop 1 who opened his pick up door and fired at off duty cop 2 at close range. Off duty cop 2 slotted off duty cop 1, 3 times.

The right guy bought it in the end.

Edit: Apologies. I read it wrong. The right guy is critical. The wrong guy is dead. Shame.

Edited by MW72

Wow- opinion based on one trip 6 years ago- I bet you are a real barrel of fun.

Wow- opinion based on one trip 6 years ago- I bet you are a real barrel of fun.
Define 'a real barrel of fun' (the phrase is a barrel of laughs by the way) It doesn't take a genius to become aware of the nature of a location, especially when hearing the reports that come out of there weekly since visiting.

Everyone has an opinion, an opinion of what is fun or what is pleasurable, so if you disagree with someone else so be it, deal with it. But the facts are there for everyone to see. I've seen much of Thailand and Phuket is not somewhere I will be returning to. Unless you own a business there and are afraid of people drawing their attention to the islands shitty side (it's too late as it's readily available) I dunno why you have your knickers in a twist

Edited by ExpatLife

They will be sadly missed.

you are kidding, its a reflection of the youth of this country in a position of responsibility. They do not get mental exams prior to joining. Some bullshit police training, given a gun and uniform.

That's 2 least policemen to re-assign to another corrupt location.

Don't they buy the position, the gun, and the uniform?

There really seems to be something wrong with the police/affairs in Thailand. It's time for the PM to recognize and to get to the bottom of it and start to make some serious reform. There are too many stories about the police and most make the public lose confidence when they see the police or have to deal with them.

You all forget it happened in the US many times and other countries too there are crooked cops everywhere not only in Thailand take a look at Ireland where solicitors government officials and high court judges are involved in grabbing highly sought after land for development purposes. So there you go why bash Thailand all the time take a long hard look at your own countries.

I think it is you who needs to read it again. Off duty cop 1 who was refused entry, went to car for pistol. Returned and pistol whipped moonlighting cop then fired into the air. Another off duty cop went to investigate the pistol shot, approached off duty cop 1 who opened his pick up door and fired at off duty cop 2 at close range. Off duty cop 2 slotted off duty cop 1, 3 times.

Edit: Apologies. I read it wrong. The right guy is critical. The wrong guy is dead. Shame.

L/Cpl Wongsathon = CopA = Member of group intending to enter Haophan restaraunt
Sen Sgt Maj Nattachai = CopB = Cop moonlighting as security at Haophan
Lt Thamarong = CopC = Cop dining nearby
CopA with friends attempts to enter Haophan but is refused by CopB because no ID.
CopB follows departing group and asks questions. CopA pulls out gun and strikes CopB to the head and fires shot in air. [First act of physical violence + gunshot by CopA]
CopB runs back to restaraunt.
CopC comes to investigate gun shot; approaches CopA who is sitting in pickup truck. CopA opens car door and fires at CopC hitting him. CopC returns fire into pickup truck hitting CopA 3 times. [First gunshot at person: CopA firing at CopC]
Deceased person, CopA, found slumped in pickup truck. CopC injured with one gunshot wound next to pickup truck.
CopA, deceased:
- pistol whipped CopB and brought firearm into fray.
- fired shot first at CopC hitting CopC
Yes, the right cop died.

CopA with friends attempts to enter Haophan but is refused by CopB because no ID.
CopB follows departing group and asks questions. CopA pulls out gun and strikes CopB to the head and fires shot in air. [First act of physical violence + gunshot by CopA]
CopC comes to investigate gun shot; approaches CopA who is sitting in pickup truck. CopA opens car door and fires at CopC hitting him. CopC returns fire into pickup truck hitting CopA 3 times. [First gunshot at person: CopA firing at CopC]
Deceased person, CopA, found slumped in pickup truck. CopC injured with one gunshot wound next to pickup truck.
CopA, deceased:
Yes, the right cop died.

Cop C now deceased also.

The graphic photo should never have been published.

It's disrespectful to the victim and to his family.

I really miss common sense, empathy, and professionalism.

Agree, but sadly enough it's rare here. Ppl selling these pics to the media only care about the few bucks, unless it's their own family in the photos of course.

CopA, deceased:
Yes, the right cop died.

I read it the same as you harry, but on review the article says:

“Both men were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where Lt Thamarong was pronounced dead on arrival and L/Cpl Wongsathon remains in critical condition,”

Wongsathon was the instigator. Another poster has said that he is now dead so he got what was coming to him in the end. It's just a shame that the other cop died also.

Sad to hear that an innocent cop has been killed for investigating a single gun shot from one of their own,

Perhaps something could come of this as opposed to it being just another death/s, e.g. more stringent rules with regard to cops not being able to take revolvers home, but then again I suppose anyone can buy one on the black market, after all, who is going to question a cop, right ?

Sad day for the families on both sides, ego's and alcohol will always have a destructive outcome.

I hope one day to see that Thailand has proper law and order, from top to bottom, but I won't hold my breath, will just keep enjoying her beauty and stick my head back in the sand when I hear news like this.

I simply cannot muster any sympathy for anyone involved...corrupt (probably) cops killing each other...all I can think is, "One down, thousands to go..."

will the survivor be moved to an inactive post?