Three tips for driving in Thailand

Inspire

The number one issue is not my driving, it is the idiot behind me who is driving way too close to me (highway driving).

Let him pass.

Secondly, stay as far away from motor bikes as is possible.

Avoid rush hour driving if possible.

Avoid all electronic gadgets while driving.

Following above will go a long way in avoiding the hassle of an accident.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A blinking direction indicator doesn't even mean 'I intend to turn right but may change my mind later', it means nothing at all.

A blinking right direction indicator can mean "you can overtake, the road ahead is free" on roads with one lane very common.

Even more common - it means turned right some time ago.

I have 3 tips about driving in Thailand.

First tip dont. Second tip dont. Third tip dont.

Well How in the heck would one get around or should they never leave their house? Yes there is a very good public transportation system in BKK, CM etc but outside of that it can be a bit challenging. I have taken bus's north to south and while convenient its on their schedule not yours.

Driving is like driving anywhere. Firstly you have to know how to drive to begin with, if you were a marginal driver where you came from, here will be a huge wake up call. Secondly you have to pay attention. I have absolutely no issues driving in Thailand. whether it be city, country or hi-ways etc. I have 3 forms of transportation and I use all 3 routinely. However I do understand that for some driving in Thailand it can be intimidating, especially if you are older and your reactions are slower and patience level is far less.

You my friend are living in a dream world.

So how moved in Thailand?

Walk?Fly?Train?

You do not trust your life youself as driver, but you trust others?

You're a bad driver?rolleyes.gif

I cannot drive now because of a crazy Thai driver who ruined my life OK.

I am paraplegic, not a bad driver, now a non driver.sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Yes there is a very good public transportation system in BKK, CM etc

You must kidding mecheesy.gif .

If in BKK have trasportation system( i am sure its FAR from good)

But where you saw in CM... and etc?blink.png

So no choice.. only self drive

YOU are kidding me: coffee1.gif Are you unknowingly or DELETED? Of course, BKK and CM has a public transport system thats works. But if you have it yourself never used, you should renounce silly comments. OK... Maybe is not good enough for Mister Expat, but millions of people use every day.
Edited by seedy
flaming

So how moved in Thailand?

Walk?Fly?Train?

You do not trust your life youself as driver, but you trust others?

You're a bad driver?rolleyes.gif

I cannot drive now because of a crazy Thai driver who ruined my life OK.

I am paraplegic, not a bad driver, now a non driver.sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

I'm sorry for you, but this could have happened everywhere. The most important thing for me is to stay cool and not to be surprised of anything. I always try not to get angry, even if some drivers could drive you mad. But getting angry again and again i would have to sell my car.

Drive defensively is Rules 1,2, and 3.

If you proceed on the premise every Thai has a gun in the glovebox of his vehicle, it will help remove the temptation to use the horn at the frequent examples of incompetence. Remember, their driver education and test system is nowhere as stringent as yours.

That's the problem with always looking for fault and blame in others who don't conform to your own rules. Because they are breaking your rule system then they are obviously doing wrong. But if we move beyond the finger pointing it could be said that they are following the rules. If the majority of road users are doing the same thing then that is the rules of the road.

To drive or ride in Thailand the answer is to work within the system, not try to change it. In the UK for years people have blamed SMIDSY's on speeding riders or ignorant drivers not looking. But neither offers a true picture of the situation. For that we need to look at motion camouflage and the limitations of the human brain. Often experienced drivers scan the road less than novices as their previous experience fill more of the picture from memory.

see: The roles of motorcyclists and car drivers in conspicuity-related motorcycle crashes pdf

or: INFLUENCE OF RIDING EXPERIENCE ON GLANCE BEHAVIOR, BRAKE RESPONSE TIME AND DECELERATION RATES BY DRIVERS AND MOTORCYCLISTS pdf

But of course that does not cover the issues on Thai roads. The land traffic act says at a four way junction road users should give way to the left. So due to the complete lack of on-road interactive training, coupled with the poorly constructed theory test containing conflicting and confusing questions, Many road users go back to using the only rule system they know, the one they learned as a pedestrian.

Accidents happen when people are "surprised" by the unexpected. If we want to keep ourselves safe the best way is to limit the surprises. How many times have you been "surprised" by something unexpected? Count your surprises. No Surprise = No Accident

Thai Safe Rider

Well How in the heck would one get around or should they never leave their house? Yes there is a very good public transportation system in BKK, CM etc but outside of that it can be a bit challenging. I have taken bus's north to south and while convenient its on their schedule not yours.

Driving is like driving anywhere. Firstly you have to know how to drive to begin with, if you were a marginal driver where you came from, here will be a huge wake up call. Secondly you have to pay attention. I have absolutely no issues driving in Thailand. whether it be city, country or hi-ways etc. I have 3 forms of transportation and I use all 3 routinely. However I do understand that for some driving in Thailand it can be intimidating, especially if you are older and your reactions are slower and patience level is far less.

?? finally someone with common sense..

Driving

All I can say is if you need to drive on these roads then expect the unexpected and teach your family members defensive driving skills and just maybe you/family will not be involved in any serious accidents to soon.

That's the problem with always looking for fault and blame in others who don't conform to your own rules. Because they are breaking your rule system then they are obviously doing wrong. But if we move beyond the finger pointing it could be said that they are following the rules. If the majority of road users are doing the same thing then that is the rules of the road.

To drive or ride in Thailand the answer is to work within the system, not try to change it. In the UK for years people have blamed SMIDSY's on speeding riders or ignorant drivers not looking. But neither offers a true picture of the situation. For that we need to look at motion camouflage and the limitations of the human brain. Often experienced drivers scan the road less than novices as their previous experience fill more of the picture from memory.

see: The roles of motorcyclists and car drivers in conspicuity-related motorcycle crashes pdf

or: INFLUENCE OF RIDING EXPERIENCE ON GLANCE BEHAVIOR, BRAKE RESPONSE TIME AND DECELERATION RATES BY DRIVERS AND MOTORCYCLISTS pdf

But of course that does not cover the issues on Thai roads. The land traffic act says at a four way junction road users should give way to the left. So due to the complete lack of on-road interactive training, coupled with the poorly constructed theory test containing conflicting and confusing questions, Many road users go back to using the only rule system they know, the one they learned as a pedestrian.

Accidents happen when people are "surprised" by the unexpected. If we want to keep ourselves safe the best way is to limit the surprises. How many times have you been "surprised" by something unexpected? Count your surprises. No Surprise = No Accident

Thai Safe Rider

Your post could be condensed into 5 of your words "limitations of the human brain "...because here they certainly suffer the most of that. Driving with no lights and many other moronic things they do doesn't make that the new rules of the road,it's simply stupidity which is what explains their almost worst accident statistics on the planet

Don't drive at night out in the country.

the best time to drive, only proper animals to avoid!

Sorry to disagree here, I avoid driving at night here in the Mukdahan Province, it is quite common here driving from Mukdahan City on a 4 lane Highway to encounter, beaten up old Pickups driving with no lights,( were smashed years ago), in the LH motorcycle lane coming towards you. Motorcycles riding with no lights and rider wearing all black. Farm machinery with no lights, motorcycles crossing the medium strip with no lights. etc etc. Driving anywhere in Thailand day or night is a daily challenge.

Thai Safe Rider

Your post could be condensed into 5 of your words "limitations of the human brain "...because here they certainly suffer the most of that. Driving with no lights and many other moronic things they do doesn't make that the new rules of the road,it's simply stupidity which is what explains their almost worst accident statistics on the planet

Just calling people stupid will never address the situation. You can call them what you want, the situation will never change. Not in the near future anyway.

The op was "Three tips for driving in Thailand", how is just calling people stupid a driving tip? If someone believes this life is only part of a greater journey and considers death as only part of "an ongoing learning curve" they maybe they are misguided, but that is not for me to judge. Many christians and muslims believe in an afterlife as well. I personally do not believe it, but I cannot change their beliefs. That is just the way it is.

My thoughts on the issue:

Thai drivers expects everyone else on the road is driving perfectly without errors and always doing the right thing. There is no thought about how they themselves are driving or how they affect the surroundings. Most of this behavior stems from not having driver education. Also Buddha will take care of them at all times along with the 10 amulets they wear around the neck.

Westerners are educated from the first driving lesson to expect everyone else to drive erroneous and expect the unexpected at all times.

For example if I approach a crossing and I know I have the right of way, I always expect the waiting cars and motorcycles coming from the crossing road to unexpectedly drive out in front of me while I am approaching (which actually has happened on more than one occasion), being ready for it enabled me to avoid an accident. However Thai drivers, especially motorcyclists just drive through the crossing without any worries in the world, looking at everything except the traffic, possibly chatting with passengers or the phone...

This is not a joke but only my observations from real life, Thais actually expect everyone else to drive perfect, and they drive just as that is the case. There is no planning ahead of risk assessment during driving.

Edited by AlQaholic

Thai Safe Rider

Just calling people stupid will never address the situation. You can call them what you want, the situation will never change. Not in the near future anyway.

The op was "Three tips for driving in Thailand", how is just calling people stupid a driving tip? If someone believes this life is only part of a greater journey and considers death as only part of "an ongoing learning curve" they maybe they are misguided, but that is not for me to judge. Many christians and muslims believe in an afterlife as well. I personally do not believe it, but I cannot change their beliefs. That is just the way it is.

Driving a motorbike at night with no tail lights (I think about 5% of them have working tail lights in Isaan) can not be considered intelligent.

Driving a motorbike at night with no tail lights (I think about 5% of them have working tail lights in Isaan) can not be considered intelligent.

First off I have driven a vehicle without realising the back light had blown many times, I was always taught to check them before moving off, but that does not stop bulbs failing or electrical faults. I am thankful that the big bikes I ride these days tend to have duel back lights so one of the issues does not happen anymore.

But more importantly trying to measure someones intelligence is not going to change the situation. Nobody is going to start fixing it anytime soon either.

The only way is to adopt the way we ride and drive to the system.

First off I have driven a vehicle without realising the back light had blown many times, I was always taught to check them before moving off, but that does not stop bulbs failing or electrical faults. I am thankful that the big bikes I ride these days tend to have duel back lights so one of the issues does not happen anymore.

But more importantly trying to measure someones intelligence is not going to change the situation. Nobody is going to start fixing it anytime soon either.

I understand the occasional burnt out bulb. That said, that doesn't explain the 80-90% of them that don't have working tail lights. Keep in mind I'm not describing one night's drive in Isaan. This is 100s of nights driving. No tail lights on almost every motorbike. Even a lot of cars fail to turn on their lights. Not sure why.

Point is, it's not safe. Chalk it up to poverty, chalk it up to inadequate education, hell blame Thaksin. I'm sure it results in a lot of unnecessary deaths and injuries.

There is no system, only chaos.

I understand the occasional burnt out bulb. That said, that doesn't explain the 80-90% of them that don't have working tail lights. Keep in mind I'm not describing one night's drive in Isaan. This is 100s of nights driving. No tail lights on almost every motorbike. Even a lot of cars fail to turn on their lights. Not sure why.

Point is, it's not safe. Chalk it up to poverty, chalk it up to inadequate education, hell blame Thaksin. I'm sure it results in a lot of unnecessary deaths and injuries.

Yes of course you are right. I am not suggesting it is safe or sensible either. Just that is the way it is.

Question is can you change it? Is it going to change? Well no, it is not going to change anytime soon.

So the only approach if we want to ride or drive in Thailand as safely as possible is to work within the system that is, not the one we want it to be.

I've been driving in Thailand for quite a few years and in general I don't find it any more of a problem than driving in my home country, the USA except for the amazing traffic jams in Bangkok. My only piece of advice would be to keep an eye out for the motorcycles. And driving varies a lot by region in the USA. I found the drivers in LA where I lived for 10 years much worse than in Bangkok. So many amazingly hostile drivers on the road in LA.

Only to the eyes of someone who only knows the enforcement approach.

If you apply Kaizen thinking and look for why things are like they are, rather than just expecting conformity to your own expected rule system, then things do start to make far more sense.

Only to the eyes of someone who only knows the enforcement approach.

If you apply Kaizen thinking and look for why things are like they are, rather than just expecting conformity to your own expected rule system, then things do start to make far more sense.

I'm not sure how you make sense of the carnage on the roads, but I guess you can justify anything, that's what fanatics and terrorists do.

Edited by giddyup

On the contrary, lol tongue.png driving here is so much more relaxed and fun then in my over restricted EU Country.

But I live here, since long. thumbsup.gif

Edited by ALFREDO