Bangkok taxis oppose attempt to legalise on-demand private car service

webfact

Bangkok taxis oppose attempt to legalise on-demand private car service

300_taxi-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Bangkok Taxi Cooperatives today asked the Transport Ministry to halt its attempt to amend the existing transport law to legalize on-demand private car service reasoning there are over 120,000 taxis in operation in Bangkok, and any legalisation of private taxi service will add more hardship for taxi drivers.

But the transport minister assured the taxi drivers that the matter remained inconclusive and it needed discussion with all parties concerned.

Cooperative president Vitoon Naewpanich said in the petition to transport minister Ormsin Chivapruek that legalising on-demand private car service would only benefit Uber Taxi Service in the country but make trouble to registered taxi service in Bangkok which now amounted to 150,000 taxis.

He asked that the matter should be considered with caution as it would affect the livelihood of legal taxi drivers who now own less than 300 baht a day after deduction of fuel bills and rents.

But Mr Ormsin said the law amendment remained inconclusive.

However he assured all sides would be fairly treated.

He said the ministry did not mind to allow on-demand taxi service via mobile application but private operator must strictly comply with the Thai laws.

He assured that law amendment did not mean to help any operator in particular.

He also said the second adjustment of taxi fare by 5% was not yet considered after last year’s 8% adjustment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-taxis-oppose-attempt-legalise-demand-private-car-service/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-14

I'll feel more sympathetic to this cause once BKK taxi drivers stop..

Fleecing foreign tourists, assaulting women, attacking people with fists and weapons, refusing fares where people want to go, removing seatbelts, tampering with meters, not using meters, playing horrible loud music, rudely screaming at passengers demanding high flat rate fares and tips, pretending they don't have change, and driving like crazed beasts or animales on drugs

Edited by arunsakda

and dumping passengers if you ask them to turn down the loud music. Happened to colleague and I when we asked in Thai politely twice to turn down the music so we could talk.. He drove over to shoulder and told us to get out. Took about 15 minutes to get another taxi as it was not the most travelled spot where we were dumped.

well its seems like the 150,000 other taxi drivers are more of a competition than the few thousand Uber drivers there are, but there are only a couple hundred driving at any given time. Uber drivers don't wait in Taxi cue, Uber drivers don't pick up passengers waiting at the side of the street.

If they want to have an edge, taxi drivers should join Grab Taxi so they can compete with Uber if they are so afraid of competition.

and dumping passengers if you ask them to turn down the loud music. Happened to colleague and I when we asked in Thai politely twice to turn down the music so we could talk.. He drove over to shoulder and told us to get out. Took about 15 minutes to get another taxi as it was not the most travelled spot where we were dumped.

Don't blame him, Thai music is sacrosanct, i'm pissed off when they turn it off (often) or down as they think falang no like.

there must be some reason why taxi drivers turn down fares. either they journey is not economically viable to heavy traffic conditions or trip is too short to enable the taxi driver to make suitable amount of money ( in this case minimum fare ought to be considered by the authorities ).this problem is rampant in countries with poor enforcement practices and will need concerted effort by all parties in the equation. the problem, however, is serious and needs urgent attention.

well its seems like the 150,000 other taxi drivers are more of a competition than the few thousand Uber drivers there are, but there are only a couple hundred driving at any given time. Uber drivers don't wait in Taxi cue, Uber drivers don't pick up passengers waiting at the side of the street.

If they want to have an edge, taxi drivers should join Grab Taxi so they can compete with Uber if they are so afraid of competition.

Agreed - but then on any journey they agree to using Grab will have a record of the driver & passenger... i.e. some level of accountability.

Of course, many are ok with this, these same drivers get on with their jobs without issue.

It is the 'others' who want to fleece, over charge, not use their meter etc who don't want to use Grab... these entitled group also believe they should be operating without competition.

IF Bangkok's taxi services were reliable and trouble free I'd be far happy using them and not having to rely on the alternatives (UBER and GrabCar).

there must be some reason why taxi drivers turn down fares. either they journey is not economically viable to heavy traffic conditions or trip is too short to enable the taxi driver to make suitable amount of money ( in this case minimum fare ought to be considered by the authorities ).this problem is rampant in countries with poor enforcement practices and will need concerted effort by all parties in the equation. the problem, however, is serious and needs urgent attention.

Journey to short? 35 Baht is 0 - 1km right. The next kilometer 4 baht (not sure exact rate) so a bunch of short journeys is the best way to make money.

Free enterprise means the best and most economical service gets the most customers.

There is a constant stream of justified complaints about Thailand taxi services, and has been for years. Nothing seems to change except the excuses and the promises to change - both from governments, the civil service and taxi-drivers or their shills.

If you're frightened of competition in the taxi business, maybe you shouldn't be in the taxi business...

Winnie

Agreed - but then on any journey they agree to using Grab will have a record of the driver & passenger... i.e. some level of accountability.

Of course, many are ok with this, these same drivers get on with their jobs without issue.

It is the 'others' who want to fleece, over charge, not use their meter etc who don't want to use Grab... these entitled group also believe they should be operating without competition.

IF Bangkok's taxi services were reliable and trouble free I'd be far happy using them and not having to rely on the alternatives (UBER and GrabCar).

Yup the sooner these taxis realize that they need to change, the sooner they will start making more money and even have repeat customers.

I have business associates who always use the same taxi driver when they come to Thailand, because they had a good experience with him. Taxi driver makes more money by charging fix rate, win win for both.

Not only that I think Bangkok has too many Taxis too, they need to start regulating how many Taxis there are on the street. The problem is internal not external factors such as Uber. Government and Taxi association created the problems themselves by having too many cars and their points system does not work to deter bad drivers.

They should give this as clear warning for taxis to clean up their act an attitude.

There is also nothing stopping taxi drivers using user aswell.

But if they do allow private cars like uber drivers, i think they should make it mandatory that the car has cameras for inside and outside (as they should also do with taxis by now)

Uber is so easy ( after it took a few months to work out how to do it). 75 Baht taxi ride ( for which I would have given 100) cost 96 Baht, no lunatic driving, no smell, aircon working, picked me up at the door within 3 minutes. I'm now a regular when BTS is not an option.

Yup the sooner these taxis realize that they need to change, the sooner they will start making more money and even have repeat customers.

I have business associates who always use the same taxi driver when they come to Thailand, because they had a good experience with him. Taxi driver makes more money by charging fix rate, win win for both.

Not only that I think Bangkok has too many Taxis too, they need to start regulating how many Taxis there are on the street. The problem is internal not external factors such as Uber. Government and Taxi association created the problems themselves by having too many cars and their points system does not work to deter bad drivers.

Also, there should be controls on how much the taxi fleet owners (they call themselves cooperatives which they aren't) can charge per day.

The DLT grants drivers a rise in the meter / mileage etc., rates and immediately the fleet owners raise their daily rental rates by about the same amount.

Not fair.

Uber is so easy ( after it took a few months to work out how to do it). 75 Baht taxi ride ( for which I would have given 100) cost 96 Baht, no lunatic driving, no smell, aircon working, picked me up at the door within 3 minutes. I'm now a regular when BTS is not an option.

As would I also, but naturally, to protect the miserable jobs that Thais habitually do, as I understand it, Uber has now been declared illegal.

Inevitable somehow...

W

Didn't realise there are 120,000 cabs in Bangkok.

That's a lot of competition so what's their motive for not taking a fare?

I mean it's their livelihood.

I'm told that many or even most taxi drivers in BKK struggle to earn a living, especially those who rent their taxis and do not own them. Out of the way places often isn't worth the time and fare to them.

Of course laziness does come into it as well. A lot.

W

Well of course they object. They cannot stand the competition. Yet, no one ever seems to think all this through. Why would a couple thousand Uber taxis be competition to 120000 Thai taxis? Could it be because the taxi using public is not happy with the service they are receiving from the Thai taxis?

It has not occured to the Thai taxis that if they cleaned up their act the public would be much happier, and perhaps less likely to call Uber?

Easier to complain and file a petition than actually try and solve the problem.

Edited by WhizBang

The biggest issue with Uber in OZ is insurance , if you are using a private vehicle and are paying that then becomes a paying passenger service , but you are not covered by insurance , so guess what , they are all going to be licenced and pay a fee, however how or where do you stand as a value tourist when you have an accident in a taxi in Thailand..........................................coffee1.gif

Didn't realise there are 120,000 cabs in Bangkok.

That's a lot of competition so what's their motive for not taking a fare?

I mean it's their livelihood.

I don't know the answer, but where I stay when in BKK , a friend of mine it takes a 5 hr round trip just to say hullo , stop for a 2 hr meal and it is a 7 hr round trip, maybe the logistics come into play.

The biggest issue with Uber in OZ is insurance , if you are using a private vehicle and are paying that then becomes a paying passenger service , but you are not covered by insurance , so guess what , they are all going to be licenced and pay a fee, however how or where do you stand as a value tourist when you have an accident in a taxi in Thailand..........................................coffee1.gif

Are any of the taxis and Taxi Bikes insured???

Free enterprise means the best and most economical service gets the most customers.

There is a constant stream of justified complaints about Thailand taxi services, and has been for years. Nothing seems to change except the excuses and the promises to change - both from governments, the civil service and taxi-drivers or their shills.

If you're frightened of competition in the taxi business, maybe you shouldn't be in the taxi business...

Winnie

That's why the Bangkok Cooperative want a closed shop...

The taxis are becoming dinosaurs like the tuk tuks. The only difference is that the tuk tuks have appeal to tourists and are iconic. The days of fleecing people for short rides are over. Too many people go online and know the deal before they land on the ground. More and more these days it isn't the tourist that is unsuspecting, but the simpleton con artist operating a taxi looking for an easy scam.

What makes this point more poignant is that the Thais themselves are tired of this racket and are primarily the ones calling the BS in over social media. With the internet there is a snowballs chance in hell that the taxi industry can go back 5 years. Uber is safer for the consumer as it is actually more likely that the driver is the same as his Uber registration.

I have only been refused a ride one time by an Uber driver for a fare to Ayutthaya. I also got a message from Uber saying they wanted 40 Baht for the fare. At first I was a bit pissed off but with a bit of patience I realised I could reply the fare was refused by the driver and they refunded it. I had never paid but they refunded my cyber account. The smart phone and online trail of Uber is so much stronger to keep taxis held accountable that I do not think the taxis can turn back time anymore than the tuk tuk drivers can these days.

Phuket tuk tuk mafia, I can laugh at you now. They can no longer beat up, and generally intimidate other drivers for taking fares because Uber drivers are difficult to identify. Good luck to these dinosaurs, as their days are numbered. The more vehement they get and whatever intimidation tactics they come up with will only diminish their legitimacy.

Everyday Somchai the taxi con is becoming exposed to criticism online and doesn't even understand the overwhelming sentiments of the public at large and why he can not continue his practices.

Maybe somebody should educate the taxi drivers to tell them everybody is on to the scam and how to proceed if they still wish to have an occupation.

Edited by anotheruser

I'll feel more sympathetic to this cause once BKK taxi drivers stop..

Fleecing foreign tourists, assaulting women, attacking people with fists and weapons, refusing fares where people want to go, removing seatbelts, tampering with meters, not using meters, playing horrible loud music, rudely screaming at passengers demanding high flat rate fares and tips, pretending they don't have change, and driving like crazed beasts or animales on drugs

Couple of days ago I get into a taxi, try to use a seat belt, he says no no no, police no problem I am mafia

I said ok. Stop let us out

Next one we got agreed to take us from sukhumvit to victory monument and I explained the route to

Take via eckamie and Rama9 and dindeang rd

After a few min we encountered some traffic and he didn't want to go anymore unless he could drive backwards and make a Uturn to get to the toll way (would have taken probably even longer)

I told him to continue on the agreed route and he moved into the left lane to make a Uturn anyway

We ended up almost fighting because I told him if he doesn't want to drive a taxi in bkk traffic he should find another job that's less complicated and he didn't like it... And starting using abusive language

These current drivers are a blight on the handful of good ones..... But doubt it will change in our lifetimes