Hi all,

I am professor at a Thai university. I started working on September 1st 2015. I have a tax ID number, which the HR insisted I need. After I got that number, some money gets automatically deducted from my pay check every month. Do I need to file tax or not? The uni has not given me any forms to fill out. Please advice. Thank you

Yes, you need to file a tax return (Por Ngor Dor 91) before March 31st every year. You may have to pay more tax or claim a refund, but quite likely you will owe nothing. The Revenue Dept will then give you a yellow tax receipt for 0 baht. You keep these receipts as evidence that you pay tax. I think they ask to see the receipt when you extend your visa - at least they did when I was still working.

There is a legal obligation to file a tax return but if you don't, the odds are nothing will happen and you will just miss out on a refund, which may be very small or none at all.

I was on a work permit here for 10 years with tax deductions. Never bothered filling out a tax return.

Years later, after I stopped working here, I claimed 2 years' withholding tax back on term deposit bank interest. I received it back minus a 200 Baht fine for filing late and a telling off! I was claiming money back!