Unaccompanied child asylum seeker numbers soar in EU

webfact

Unaccompanied child asylum seeker numbers soar in EU

Most of the minors who have crossed the Mediterranean to Italy this year were unaccompanied by adults, UNICEF says

DOHA: -- The number of unaccompanied children crossing the Mediterranean on unseaworthy boats has soared this year, the UN children's agency says.

The UNICEF said in a report on Tuesday that nine out of every 10 children arriving in Italy from North Africa were not accompanied by adults.

A total of 7,009 unaccompanied minors made the journey in the first five months of the year, "twice as many as last year.

Full story: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/unaccompanied-child-asylum-seeker-numbers-sore-eu-160614132856312.html

-- AL JAZEERA 2016-06-15

Yeah... why not dumping them in the sea? it would even be faster.

Oh my, some people here should really talk to someone about their pathological islamophobia.

They're kids, for God's sake. Fleeing a country that is falling apart in the hands of extremists.

Yeah... why not dumping them in the sea? it would even be faster.

Oh my, some people here should really talk to someone about their pathological islamophobia.

They're kids, for God's sake. Fleeing a country that is falling apart in the hands of extremists.

most of these kids are late teens or much older. We are talking wolf not lamb here.

Children that are sent ahead of the rest of the family are usually referred to as anchor children.

When I worked with unaccompanied minors in refugee situations, those under 18 were given priority screening. If they were not screened in as a refugee (and they had to meet the same qualifications as an adult -- although a bit more time and effort had to be taken to determine if they were a genuine political refugee), they were returned to the family. Children should not be alone in a country unless there is no other choice. Children are generally not better off away from their family.

Children who were determined to be a genuine refugee were resettled with relatives in the country, if there are any available. If not, they are placed in foster care.

The status determination that is made when they are a minor does not change when they become a legal adult. If they were not a refugee, then even though they are now an adult, they are returned to the family as soon as possible.

It should be remembered that the refugee status is determined for the entire family so if the child is a refugee so would the entire family. If the child isn't, then the family isn't.

Children that are sent ahead of the rest of the family are usually referred to as anchor children.

When I worked with unaccompanied minors in refugee situations, those under 18 were given priority screening. If they were not screened in as a refugee (and they had to meet the same qualifications as an adult -- although a bit more time and effort had to be taken to determine if they were a genuine political refugee), they were returned to the family. Children should not be alone in a country unless there is no other choice. Children are generally not better off away from their family.

Children who were determined to be a genuine refugee were resettled with relatives in the country, if there are any available. If not, they are placed in foster care.

The status determination that is made when they are a minor does not change when they become a legal adult. If they were not a refugee, then even though they are now an adult, they are returned to the family as soon as possible.

It should be remembered that the refugee status is determined for the entire family so if the child is a refugee so would the entire family. If the child isn't, then the family isn't.

I've also heard the term 'grappling hook children', which I think is more accurate.